Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

Why are people reporting Tony Eir's post, people were complaing about Virgin dropping BT and he posted that if you moved to Eir broadband you get the sports free.. Ive paid UPC/Virgin around 15 grand the past 8 years for a service and there answer today regarding losing all the sport was watch the F1 highlights on Channel 4, champions league on RTE and TV3 and the UFC on UFC online.. Great customer service right there.. Tony if your reading can you pm regarding moving to Eir.,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

Why are people reporting Tony Eir's post, people were complaing about Virgin dropping BT and he posted that if you moved to Eir broadband you get the sports free.. Ive paid UPC/Virgin around 15 grand the past 8 years for a service and there answer today regarding losing all the sport was watch the F1 highlights on Channel 4, champions league on RTE and TV3 and the UFC on UFC online.. Great customer service right there.. Tony if your reading can you pm regarding moving to Eir.,

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

As I said, please do not reply to the above post or warnings will issue. The post is for information only.

Back on topic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

Setanta Ireland in HD which was exclusive to Upc/Virgin Media and only Sd version on Sky

Will Eir Sport 1 be made available in HD on Sky now that Virgin will no longer be providing Setanta(Eir Sport Channels)

My Setanta (Eir Sports) Subscription who I pay direct each month is to provide the channels on Sky

If Eir Sports 1 is made available in HD to Sky Satellite users that's a bonus if that happens

icdg wrote: »
    As I said, please do not reply to the above post or warnings will issue. The post is for information only.

Back on topic

Having:
    - Canvassed views on the situation from fellow moderators
    - Heard the explanation of the poster
    - Considered the totality of the situation

I have decided not to take any further action re the post reported

24 hour ban for any on thread reply to this post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,285 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

IS there any fear that the eir bundle with BT Sports is a temporary thing? I assume they have taken over whatever agreement was made by Setanta - does anyone know what's left on that deal?

The way I see it, Eir Sports + BT Sports = compelling, would likely attract people to Eir BB. Eir Sports on it's own = meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,285 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Oh and on an unrelated note - what is up with the BT Sports Channel Names & Dogs? The naming convention is ropey: BT Sports 1 & BT Sports 2 I get. BT Sports Europe - assume this is to cover all of the CL games, but does it restrict itself for other times of the year? And BT Sports ESPN is a stupid name, and it's dog is bloody HUGE!

I also don't understand what each channel's niche is. It seems to be a bit all over the place as to which sport you'll find where. At least with Sky Sports there's a level of consistency about what sport generally appears where.

The names are changing in August to BT Sport 1, 2, and 3, though ESPN and its massive DOG will stay the same. One explanation I heard (and I don't know how true it is) is that ESPN Inc. have placed certain requirements on BT as part of the brand licensing agreement.

As for the free deal with Eir Broadband being temporary - well that's exactly what happened in the UK. BT Broadband users now only get "BT Sport Lite" (essentially BT Sport 1) and must pay extra for the full pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

dulpit wrote: »
    Oh and on an unrelated note - what is up with the BT Sports Channel Names & Dogs? The naming convention is ropey: BT Sports 1 & BT Sports 2 I get. BT Sports Europe - assume this is to cover all of the CL games, but does it restrict itself for other times of the year? And BT Sports ESPN is a stupid name, and it's dog is bloody HUGE!

I also don't understand what each channel's niche is. It seems to be a bit all over the place as to which sport you'll find where. At least with Sky Sports there's a level of consistency about what sport generally appears where.

Is it really that good a deal I'm paying vodafone €45 per month for broadband and landline calls. Always have setanta half price so paying under €60 per month for both.

I believe the same package is €70 per month with Eir after first three months at €30.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,165 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Always have setanta half price.

You probably shouldn't bank on that continuing to be fair but your message of shop around is always the right one

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Eir's deal with BT Sports is in place till 2019 i think so even if Eir renew the deal I can't seem them still offering BT Sports for free by then. Hopefully we will get at least a year free BT Sports. I think BT broadband customers in the UK had the full package for free for about 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Dodge wrote: »
    You probably shouldn't bank on that continuing to be fair but your message of shop around is always the right one

Thought it'd be easier now with them losing one of their biggest selling points the 3pm's.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Is there any plan to launch eir Sport 1 HD on Sky?

A question most people have been asking for years without any success. Even Eir Sport 2, which broadcasts in the UK too, is only HD in the last year or so.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

A question most people have been asking for years without any success. Even Eir Sport 2, which broadcasts in the UK too, is only HD in the last year or so.
    Yeah, watching the Dundalk game was a pain tonight, it's a pity that it's still not in HD and it 2016, especially considering how low the quality of the feed had gone when it was Setanta. One good reason the 3pm games are going to Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

Eir Sport 1 HD is listed as available to Eir Customers using Eir Vision is that upscaled HD

With Virgin Media loosing Setanta Ireland HD
    and that channel now been Eir Sports 1

Eir Sports 1 HD no longer exclusive to Virgin it would make sense for Eir to arrange it be available on Sky in HD

After the 31st it will no longer be on Virgin so unless it's on eir vision then they are encoding a HD feed for nothing. Should be on Sky anyway to attract some kind of customer base to it. Anyone who wants to watch a blurry mess of blocks will just stream it.

An interesting result in the Champions League last night means that Dundalk stand two matches away from qualifying for the group stage of one of the UEFA club tournaments (they'd still need to win the resulting play-off round tie for it to be the Champions League - if they lost they'd play in the Europa League).

However this is interesting for, if they did qualify (still a relatively tough ask), the Irish first choice broadcaster of the tournament concerned would I understand effectively be required to show their matches as was the case with Shamrock Rovers a few seasons back when TV3 had to show their matches in the Europa League at the expense of ties that would have been more lucrative advertising wise. If it were to happen it'd be an interesting turn of events in the context of the Virgin loss of BT Sport. It's still only an if, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,165 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

However this is interesting for, if they did qualify (still a relatively tough ask), the Irish first choice broadcaster of the tournament concerned would I understand effectively be required to show their matches

Just to confirm, this is the case. eir sport would effectively be considered a "partner broadcaster" and would be responsible for filming and broadcasting the games. TV3 out sourced this in 2011

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

eir Sport 1 is HD on Vodafone TV and has been since I got VTV about two months ago. Don't know how long it had been HD before that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

Last day of Eir Sports on Virgin Media.

Its a shame Eir and Virgin couldnt work out a deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Captain Don Thorpe

Is it safe to assume Eir won't be offering non-Eir broadband customers €9.99 p/m like Setanta were?

Is it safe to assume Eir won't be offering non-Eir broadband customers €9.99 p/m like Setanta were?

But you can get it for free.

When you sign up to Eir Broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,299 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

And that was the end of that.

So much for the Good Things that Virgin were promising when they launched over here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

mikeym wrote: »
    So much for the Good Things that Virgin were promising when they launched over here.

Well to be fair, the slogan was "Here Comes the Magic". Unfortunately it's more like black magic though as the stuff they've made disappear is stuff we all wanted them to keep.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,822 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I enquired to the Competition Authority as to whether this breakdown between Eir Sport and Virgin Media was anti competitive.
    I got a response <mod edit:delete named person>
    I'm not sure if I'm legally allowed to paste his reply to me here but they seem happy that no competition regulations have been breached and I'm happy with his reply.

We might not name persons or publish emails like that - the general jist is probably better

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/virgin-urged-to-waive-cancellation-penalty-as-customers-seek-switch-due-to-loss-of-sport-channels-411453.html?utm_source=link&utm_medium=click&utm_campaign=nextandprev

Virgin urged to waive cancellation penalty as customers seek switch due to loss of sport channels
    The Consumers Association of Ireland (CAI) has said that Virgin Media subscribers should be free to cancel their contracts with the company without penalty, given the “significant” loss of Eir Sports and BT Sports.
    Dermott Jewell of the CAI made the comments this week after it was revealed that Virgin Media would not broadcast the channels on its service from August 1 after it was unable to reach an agreement with Eir Sports to carry its six channels, including BT Sports.

While Virgin Media has been inundated with online queries from customers wishing to cancel their subscriptions as a result of the change, it has claimed the loss of channels does not change the terms of its contract.

This means that customers wishing to cancel their subscriptions may be liable for fees of up to €200.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭batistuta9

is the tv ad for sky sports - the sign up offer one - mentioning eir by name, how many more games they show compared to them or did i imagine it earlier?

Advertisement