Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Options

Comments

I notice Eir have started a Christmas ad campaign including 'free Eir & BT Sports' as part of the deal for its broadband product. It's a 12 month contract. Isn't this a tad disingenuous considering BT will no longer be a free option from August next?

https://twitter.com/eir/status/1060970276718923776

• Registered Users Posts: 12,899 ✭✭✭✭flazio

The announcement was that Sky would be taking over distribution wasn't it? Is it a certainty that Eir won't buy BT Sport from Sky and simply continue offering it as part of the pack?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,872 ✭✭✭✭muffler

flazio wrote: »
    The announcement was that Sky would be taking over distribution wasn't it? Is it a certainty that Eir won't buy BT Sport from Sky and simply continue offering it as part of the pack?
    Only one broadcaster will have the rights.

flazio wrote: »

Not the basic pack though. You will be paying extra for these channels, like for example you do with Sky Sports on the Eir Vision platform. What will end is access at no extra charge for those (me included) who have Eir broadband. Web access (via live.eirsport.ie) to BT will also end I'd say. The current arrangements finish in about 9 months so that's why I would query that ad as regards to its honesty.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭SwdDub

Sorry, I don't have time to go through the 243 previous pages so I'm going to ask the question.

Is there anywhere else I can get BT Sports via my Sky Box other than eir??? I'm really hoping so.

They recently sent me notice of a price increase. The eir sports 1 HD stopped working. Then Eir/SetantaGo stopped working. I rang up today to ask what the issue was and was told that both these things were no longer available.

I'm not easily offended and have worked answering phones before but the woman I was talking to was absolutely disgraceful. She may not be able to change what the company is offering but there was zero need for her to be so disrespectful and obnoxious in informing me. How she has a job I've no idea.

Anyway, if anyone can point me in another direction I'd appreciate it.

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

The answer for the moment is no as eir have an exclusive deal for the BT channels until next August.

After that Sky have secured the rights but we don't know yet if they will be exclusive to Sky packages or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

SwdDub wrote: »
    Sorry, I don't have time to go through the 243 previous pages so I'm going to ask the question.

Is there anywhere else I can get BT Sports via my Sky Box other than eir??? I'm really hoping so.

They recently sent me notice of a price increase. The eir sports 1 HD stopped working. Then Eir/SetantaGo stopped working. I rang up today to ask what the issue was and was told that both these things were no longer available.

I'm not easily offended and have worked answering phones before but the woman I was talking to was absolutely disgraceful. She may not be able to change what the company is offering but there was zero need for her to be so disrespectful and obnoxious in informing me. How she has a job I've no idea.

Anyway, if anyone can point me in another direction I'd appreciate it.

Cheers.

The channel is still there on 421 Sky EPG.
    It plays on my 'free eir sports' package.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

When you say”I rang up today”, who did you call exactly? Sky? Eir?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Slightly tangential question, but when Eir says that Eir Sport Mobile is not "chromecast enabled" do they mean that the app has restricted casting from the app entirely (or that it's just not somehow optimised for chromecast)?

I'm guessing the former.

They have blocked casting (and any sort of output to TV, I think) from the version of the app for eir mobile customers. The eir Sport app for Broadband customers doesn’t have that restriction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

More or less the exact same sublicensing arrangement they entered into in 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭yknaa

Option to subscribe as a Sky customer no longer live over on
    https://subscribe.eirsport.ie/

- unless they are updating to some Black Friday deal?

EDIT: Apologies. It is now showing correctly and no reduction in fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

No black Friday deals this year? Has anybody manged to renew for the year for less than the quoted €299?

BT have lost the Scottish SPFL Premiership games they used to show along with Sky. From Summer 2020 the games will all be on Sky. 5 year deal.

They lost the Scottish League Cup rights too. On Premier Sports from 2020 as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭RobTheLad

I see their sister channel Premier Sports have a Black Friday offer

Dsmz6HYXgAARGJh.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Any talks at all of Black Friday day on Eir?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Any idea of what subscriber numbers Premier are getting in the uk? £59 for the year is bargain basement stuff. Eleven sports are similar and they have no satellite carriage charges to bear.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭yknaa

irishfeen wrote: »
    Any talks at all of Black Friday day on Eir?

Tried the NOV18 code on the off-chance. No joy.

€225 deal up, that’s the end of me anyway, €149 last year...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lowbatt07

Does anyone know when eir reviews what accounts have been cancelled and cancel the eir/ bt sub on the sky box ?

I cancelled my while back and it still works but my neighbour cancelled 6 months ago and bt/eir is no longer active on his sky box

I’m wondering if there set dates each year they clear up the inactive eir / bt subs on sky

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,409 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

lowbatt07 wrote: »
    Does anyone know when eir reviews what accounts have been cancelled and cancel the eir/ bt sub on the sky box ?

I cancelled my while back and it still works but my neighbour cancelled 6 months ago and bt/eir is no longer active on his sky box

I’m wondering if there set dates each year they clear up the inactive eir / bt subs on sky

Thanks
    I had it through broadband last year, I got about 6 weeks or so after broadband contract ended before it got shut off. I got at least 1 email warning me beforehand with some offer or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

BT have lost the Scottish SPFL Premiership games they used to show along with Sky. From Summer 2020 the games will all be on Sky. 5 year deal.

They lost the Scottish League Cup rights too. On Premier Sports from 2020 as well.

Premier also have the rights to broadcast Scottish Fa Cup matches from January 2019.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/total-cost-watching-scottish-football-13579157

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

€225 renewal for the year is still available if you call them, wonder has anyone managed to get it any cheaper than that?

I’m not sure why anyone would do an annual renewal now (even at €225) without knowing what content is going to be available post 1st August 2019.

icdg wrote: »
    I’m not sure why anyone would do an annual renewal now (even at €225) without knowing what content is going to be available post 1st August 2019.

Yep, that’s why I didn’t bother renewing the Black Friday deal, 79 Euro more then last year too which was ridiculous.

I was talking to Eir about the deals and I told him that Eir are losing the BT channels to sky in August and he told me that was not decided yet... I told him sky had a press release announcing the deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

irishfeen wrote: »
    Yep, that’s why I didn’t bother renewing the Black Friday deal, 79 Euro more then last year too which was ridiculous.

I was talking to Eir about the deals and I told him that Eir are losing the BT channels to sky in August and he told me that was not decided yet... I told him sky had a press release announcing the deal.

Who knows what will happen in August 2019.

If I was working for Eir I would do a deal with Eleven Sports to make it free for Broadband and Eir Vision Customers, thats if they lose the Bt Channels.

Well, we know this is happening at any rate:

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/sky-agrees-deal-to-make-bt-sport-available-to-its-irish-subscribers-1.3681041%3fmode=amp

That to me is enough not to tie ones self into a deal with eir post 1st August 2019

• Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

I'd say Eir will do a deal with Premier Sports for their 3pm kickoffs next season.

• Advertisement

I’d be surprised if that doesn’t happen given how close the two are.

In other news, apparently the Setanta Go website is gone for good, meaning those who pay the most expensive subscriptions to eir Sport don’t get any online player of any kind.

Advertisement