Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 12th Lock

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

I almost proposed to one of their burgers one evening...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

It was our company's go to spot for taking visitors out for work lunches. Never got bad food there. There was never anything overly exciting but it was tasty and decent portions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

athtrasna wrote: »
    I was ill several times after eating there, always thought their food reputation was way over rated

And yet it appears you kept going back. Glutton for punishment perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭bkeane

Walked past it this morning, work being done on the place so hopefully will open soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,476 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I was ill several times after eating there, always thought their food reputation was way over rated

With the greatest respect, why keep going back again & again if the food made you ill?

Ate there a few times myself & never had an issue, didn't win any awards but didn't stand out as being in anyway poor fare, average at worst I'd say, admittedly though hadn't been there in about a year before it closed.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

And yet it appears you kept going back. Glutton for punishment perhaps?

Was told that it had improved, and it hadn't. It stopped being my food destination of choice after the first incident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

bkeane wrote: »
    Walked past it this morning, work being done on the place so hopefully will open soon.

What work? Anyone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭bkeane

dodzy wrote: »
    What work? Anyone ?

They were power-hosing the car park and all seats under canopy were moved. Didn't see any work being done on the inside but could have been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

What work? Anyone ?

They have lifted all the decking...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭daymobrew

A digger appeared to be breaking up the decking.

And there was a guy in the car park cutting the wall between the car park and the railway! I will probably see the results when I pass by this afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭septictank

There are new owners and should open in about 5 weeks, the same guy's that run De Bruns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

septictank wrote: »
    There are new owners and should open in about 5 weeks, the same guy's that run De Bruns.

Is that the place that used to be Brasserie 15? Well, that's the Twelfth Lock f%&$ed then :(

Arciphel wrote: »
    Is that the place that used to be Brasserie 15? Well, that's the Twelfth Lock f%&$ed then :(

Give them a chance , they haven't opened their doors yet for fcuk sake.

septictank wrote: »
    Give them a chance , they haven't opened their doors yet for fcuk sake.

If it's anything like De Bruns - I wouldn't have high hopes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭angryIreGamer

I dont like DeBruns, but i do like Castello Bruno. So we will see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭digiman

If it's anything like De Bruns - I wouldn't have high hopes.

What's wrong with De Bruins? Food is quite good in there I think and pints are decent. Always a fairly good crowd in there. Best pub in D15 area I think anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

digiman wrote: »
    What's wrong with De Bruins? Food is quite good in there I think and pints are decent. Always a fairly good crowd in there. Best pub in D15 area I think anyway

I've only been in it once. Got food and enjoyed it. It's one of the best I've been to in the area, not that there's much competition.

That'll be Browne's, Castello Bruno, De Bruin's and 12th Lock all under the same owner.

digiman wrote: »

De Bruns is very marmite. Ive once had a good meal there (out of 3 occasions though, it was the lunch), including a cold steak.

A lot of my friends have been more and swear by it.

Basically, same as how some people on this thread saw the 12th lock too.

Time will tell, but i look forward to going back and having a pint with the dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

hardCopy wrote: »
    I've only been in it once. Got food and enjoyed it. It's one of the best I've been to in the area, not that there's much competition.

That'll be Browne's, Castello Bruno, De Bruin's and 12th Lock all under the same owner.

The biggest danger is the risk of sameness. I have no issue with any of the places they own, but if they all end up the same or similar, that is a pity.

There are element of Brownes in De Bruns and Castello, hopefully 12th lock will be different but we don't need another steak on the stone place.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,037 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Godge wrote: »
    There are element of Brownes in De Bruns and Castello, hopefully 12th lock will be different but we don't need another steak on the stone place.

Lets face it, no-one ever really wanted steak on a stone. It's even worse than getting your lunch served on a wooden board or your drink in a jam jar. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Gaspode wrote: »
    Lets face it, no-one ever really wanted steak on a stone. It's even worse than getting your lunch served on a wooden board or your drink in a jam jar. :D

The one thing in favour of steak on the stone is that you can't be served a bad cut covered in sauce as has happened me in other restaurants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Gaspode wrote: »

And as I always argue, you should get a pretty hefty discount if you do order it as the chef literally does not need to get involved. You stink afterwards too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Any idea when this may open back up?

They told me last weekend about 5 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

I would guess the issue might be they have extended the size of the patio area, rather than changing the decking to paving slabs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Do people really care about things like that? I cycled past it every day - looks to me like they are upgrading the patio area. I can't see what is the problem/what is making residents wary....?

Doesn't look to me like they are extending anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

amdublin wrote: »
    Do people really care about things like that? I cycled past it every day - looks to me like they are upgrading the patio area. I can't see what is the problem/what is making residents wary....?

Some busy body who likes to complain...

That kinda depends. An extension could start overlooking peoples homes, or people could be afraid of noise late at night. the lounge had complaints made against it a few years back for late night noise if memory serves. If its not gotten the right permissions, people havent had a chance to see whats happening and would, understandably enough, fear the worst.

Same people live beside a train line though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 WTSIB

I trust py2006 is not calling amdublin a busy body-- depends how you read the reply !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭AlanG

When many patio / smoking areas are upgraded around Dublin the effectively become all year extensions of the pub without noise protection. Any resident would be well advised to check on what is planned. There is a big difference between the noise from a train line with very few night trains and a late night pub.

• Advertisement

That kinda depends. An extension could start overlooking peoples homes, or people could be afraid of noise late at night. .....
    What bloody homes are at risk of being overlooked? It's sandwiched between train tracks & a canal FFS. Seriously, some busybodies have just way too much time on their hands.

What bloody homes are at risk of being overlooked? It's sandwiched between train tracks & a canal FFS. Seriously, some busybodies have just way too much time on their hands.

You can still see into the apartments on the other side of the canal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭xl500

Well if they are doing nothing wrong thats fine but If I lived beside a hotel that closed down and diggers appeared and started work and there was no planning application to go and inspect to see what was planned of course I would be concerned

You can still see into the apartments on the other side of the canal!
    If there's any peeping toms, which I seriously doubt at 40mtrs (or thereabouts) I'd say its in the other direction - and with binoculars;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Nothing about being a busy body. Imagine a neighbour having a party out their back garden several times a week. Pub noise travels far and it's a nuisance.

Planning is pretty strict, just because decking was previously permissible doesn't mean paving is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 MyKitchenSink

Any further updates?

A major extension has been ongoing on the outside area including new shack and paved patio etc etc

This has all been carried out without planning permission and Fingal CC are currently investigating

NIce to see a Responsible Person who has regard for planning law is taking over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

xl500 wrote: »
    A major extension has been ongoing on the outside area including new shack and paved patio etc etc

This has all been carried out without planning permission and Fingal CC are currently investigating

NIce to see a Responsible Person who has regard for planning law is taking over

Absolute amateurs whoever they are, that they believed they could erect that large metal framed awning without any planning in place boggles the mind.

Absolute amateurs whoever they are, that they believed they could erect that large metal framed awning without any planning in place boggles the mind.

Well maybe not they probably knew exactly what they were doing put it up quickly before anyone even knows what you are doing then apply for retention etc if its refused An enforcement action has to be taken which can take a long time all the time an unauthorised structure continues

This is happening all over the country and its down to very poor planning enforcement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 MyKitchenSink

xl500 wrote: »
    Well maybe not they probably knew exactly what they were doing put it up quickly before anyone even knows what you are doing then apply for retention etc if its refused An enforcement action has to be taken which can take a long time all the time an unauthorised structure continues

This is happening all over the country and its down to very poor planning enforcement

Pretty astonishing that they'd take such an unnecessary risk. Did I read somewhere that the building opposite the Bell Pub had also run into trouble with planning issues recently?

Pretty astonishing that they'd take such an unnecessary risk. Did I read somewhere that the building opposite the Bell Pub had also run into trouble with planning issues recently?

Well It might be a risk but the planners dont have a great record in punishing these Cowboys its crazy that planning law can be flouted so openly its really giving the 2 fingers to everyone

The existing planning on the 12th Lock Site was very aware it was a sensitive site on the Bank of the Canal he has ignored all this But thats the type of so Called Local Business Man we are dealing with

We recieved a notice in our door that FIngal Co Co have issued Warning Letters makes no difference ploughing ahead

As to the Building opposite Bell yes That was also an unauthorised Development They Demolished what was one of the oldest and Historic Buildings left in the Village without permission

And as Usual they got away with it the building is gone and they will eventually get their planning

Only way to stop this is to make the Cowboys reinstate everything if that was done then this type of Behaviour woul stop immediatly

Planning Laws are there for the Good of all and they should not be allowed to be ignored to the detriment of local Enviroment

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭esteril

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Nothing about being a busy body. Imagine a neighbour having a party out their back garden several times a week. Pub noise travels far and it's a nuisance.

Planning is pretty strict, just because decking was previously permissible doesn't mean paving is.

I live quite close to the 12th Lock and I am delighted to see it being upgraded and re-opened. It has been closed since February and I think most people will welcome its re opening. The work that has been done on it to date will not impact on local residents in the slightest. There are always whingers and moaners who will always try to hamper those risk takers who put their money where their mouth is. I am not sure who has bought the place but they are doing a wonderful job in getting it ready. It will be a great meeting place for locals and the ice cream parlour will suit the children and make it more family friendly. The noise from the M50 is considerably louder than any noise which will come out of this place. Well done to whoever it is who has embarked on this venture. The sooner it opens, the better.

esteril wrote: »
    I live quite close to the 12th Lock and I am delighted to see it being upgraded and re-opened. It has been closed since February and I think most people will welcome its re opening. The work that has been done on it to date will not impact on local residents in the slightest. There are always whingers and moaners who will always try to hamper those risk takers who put their money where their mouth is. I am not sure who has bought the place but they are doing a wonderful job in getting it ready. It will be a great meeting place for locals and the ice cream parlour will suit the children and make it more family friendly. The noise from the M50 is considerably louder than any noise which will come out of this place. Well done to whoever it is who has embarked on this venture. The sooner it opens, the better.

Be that as it may but the law says planning permission must be obtained for certain types of development. It doesn't reflect well on the new owners that they so wilfully ignored the laws!

Be that as it may but the law says planning permission must be obtained for certain types of development. It doesn't reflect well on the new owners that they so wilfully ignored the laws!

Please do not attempt to pre-empt the situation. One has under the current planning act the right to regularise any issues which are adjudged by the proper authorities to require a planning permission under the retention procedure which is incorporated in the act. I have been looking at this place pretty well every day since the upgrading started in June. I see very little that needs any planning retention. There are very few houses within 50 or 60 yards of the Hotel. There is a mentality in certain individuals in Ireland which makes them want to demonise and destroy anybody who is successful.

Again be that as it may but a person/body are supposed to apply for planning permission before starting the work. Doing it anyway and then applying for retention permission is not the way you are supposed to go about developing.

• Advertisement

Again be that as it may but a person/body are supposed to apply for planning permission before starting the work. Doing it anyway and then applying for retention permission is not the way you are supposed to go about developing.

The issues are so minor in this instance that they can be regularised after the premises opens. It is a legitimate, legal and established way of dealing with minor matters which have no significant impact on anybody.

First post in six years on boards... Hmmmmm, I wonder who esteril is and what their angle is. They sure seem to be very Greg-Arious in their defence of this development :-)

First post in six years on boards... Hmmmmm, I wonder who esteril is and what their angle is. They sure seem to be very Greg-Arious in their defence of this development :-)

So this is what it's all about. A campaign by a small group against an individual. And anybody who dares to offer an alternative view is considered suspect in some way. I rest my case.

The silence is deafening right now. Perhaps you could tell us precisely what your angle is. You seem to be aware who has bought the 12th Lock Hotel. I do not have a clue. But you seem to be grounding your arguments on some sort of vendetta against some individual or Company. If you are you should desist and desist now. This, as I stated earlier is a particularly Irish trait, a bit like the Play, The Field. It never ceases to amaze me the lengths that people will go to to try and destroy anybody who is successful in this Country, be they Entertainer, Artist or Businessperson. Let's hope the proper authorities, when they come to consider this matter will take on board the views of people other that the small group who are basing their case on personal grudges rather that more substantive issues.

So this is what it's all about. A campaign by a small group against an individual. And anybody who dares to offer an alternative view is considered suspect in some way. I rest my case.

No campaign here, i've been watching the thread with interest. I used to frequent the 12fth Lock, looking forward to seeing it re-open. Don't let that get in the way of your paranoia though. :D
    The silence is deafening right now. Perhaps you could tell us precisely what your angle is. You seem to be aware who has bought the 12th Lock Hotel. I do not have a clue. But you seem to be grounding your arguments on some sort of vendetta against some individual or Company. If you are you should desist and desist now. This, as I stated earlier is a particularly Irish trait, a bit like the Play, The Field. It never ceases to amaze me the lengths that people will go to to try and destroy anybody who is successful in this Country, be they Entertainer, Artist or Businessperson. Let's hope the proper authorities, when they come to consider this matter will take on board the views of people other that the small group who are basing their case on personal grudges rather that more substantive issues.

Silence is normally deafening when you don't give anyone else a chance to reply before you open your mouth again. You don't know who has bought the hotel? But you just said that I had started a "campaign against an individual" in your previous post? Make up your mind, I can't keep up with you.

You'd want to be careful you know, they don't take very kindly around here to people who back seat mod and threaten legal type actions such as "desist" to other posters. Same way they don't like people posting when they have a connection to a business which they din't acknowledge. But you'd know that, seeing as you are a member of boards for six years plus and have so many posts on here, I'm sure you've read the rules...

• Advertisement
Advertisement