Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 12th Lock

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭xl500

Pretty astonishing that they'd take such an unnecessary risk. Did I read somewhere that the building opposite the Bell Pub had also run into trouble with planning issues recently?

Well It might be a risk but the planners dont have a great record in punishing these Cowboys its crazy that planning law can be flouted so openly its really giving the 2 fingers to everyone

The existing planning on the 12th Lock Site was very aware it was a sensitive site on the Bank of the Canal he has ignored all this But thats the type of so Called Local Business Man we are dealing with

We recieved a notice in our door that FIngal Co Co have issued Warning Letters makes no difference ploughing ahead

As to the Building opposite Bell yes That was also an unauthorised Development They Demolished what was one of the oldest and Historic Buildings left in the Village without permission

And as Usual they got away with it the building is gone and they will eventually get their planning

Only way to stop this is to make the Cowboys reinstate everything if that was done then this type of Behaviour woul stop immediatly

Planning Laws are there for the Good of all and they should not be allowed to be ignored to the detriment of local Enviroment

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭esteril

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Nothing about being a busy body. Imagine a neighbour having a party out their back garden several times a week. Pub noise travels far and it's a nuisance.

Planning is pretty strict, just because decking was previously permissible doesn't mean paving is.

I live quite close to the 12th Lock and I am delighted to see it being upgraded and re-opened. It has been closed since February and I think most people will welcome its re opening. The work that has been done on it to date will not impact on local residents in the slightest. There are always whingers and moaners who will always try to hamper those risk takers who put their money where their mouth is. I am not sure who has bought the place but they are doing a wonderful job in getting it ready. It will be a great meeting place for locals and the ice cream parlour will suit the children and make it more family friendly. The noise from the M50 is considerably louder than any noise which will come out of this place. Well done to whoever it is who has embarked on this venture. The sooner it opens, the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

esteril wrote: »
    I live quite close to the 12th Lock and I am delighted to see it being upgraded and re-opened. It has been closed since February and I think most people will welcome its re opening. The work that has been done on it to date will not impact on local residents in the slightest. There are always whingers and moaners who will always try to hamper those risk takers who put their money where their mouth is. I am not sure who has bought the place but they are doing a wonderful job in getting it ready. It will be a great meeting place for locals and the ice cream parlour will suit the children and make it more family friendly. The noise from the M50 is considerably louder than any noise which will come out of this place. Well done to whoever it is who has embarked on this venture. The sooner it opens, the better.

Be that as it may but the law says planning permission must be obtained for certain types of development. It doesn't reflect well on the new owners that they so wilfully ignored the laws!

athtrasna wrote: »
    Be that as it may but the law says planning permission must be obtained for certain types of development. It doesn't reflect well on the new owners that they so wilfully ignored the laws!

Please do not attempt to pre-empt the situation. One has under the current planning act the right to regularise any issues which are adjudged by the proper authorities to require a planning permission under the retention procedure which is incorporated in the act. I have been looking at this place pretty well every day since the upgrading started in June. I see very little that needs any planning retention. There are very few houses within 50 or 60 yards of the Hotel. There is a mentality in certain individuals in Ireland which makes them want to demonise and destroy anybody who is successful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Again be that as it may but a person/body are supposed to apply for planning permission before starting the work. Doing it anyway and then applying for retention permission is not the way you are supposed to go about developing.

• Advertisement

athtrasna wrote: »
    Again be that as it may but a person/body are supposed to apply for planning permission before starting the work. Doing it anyway and then applying for retention permission is not the way you are supposed to go about developing.

The issues are so minor in this instance that they can be regularised after the premises opens. It is a legitimate, legal and established way of dealing with minor matters which have no significant impact on anybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

First post in six years on boards... Hmmmmm, I wonder who esteril is and what their angle is. They sure seem to be very Greg-Arious in their defence of this development :-)

Arciphel wrote: »
    First post in six years on boards... Hmmmmm, I wonder who esteril is and what their angle is. They sure seem to be very Greg-Arious in their defence of this development :-)

So this is what it's all about. A campaign by a small group against an individual. And anybody who dares to offer an alternative view is considered suspect in some way. I rest my case.

The silence is deafening right now. Perhaps you could tell us precisely what your angle is. You seem to be aware who has bought the 12th Lock Hotel. I do not have a clue. But you seem to be grounding your arguments on some sort of vendetta against some individual or Company. If you are you should desist and desist now. This, as I stated earlier is a particularly Irish trait, a bit like the Play, The Field. It never ceases to amaze me the lengths that people will go to to try and destroy anybody who is successful in this Country, be they Entertainer, Artist or Businessperson. Let's hope the proper authorities, when they come to consider this matter will take on board the views of people other that the small group who are basing their case on personal grudges rather that more substantive issues.

So this is what it's all about. A campaign by a small group against an individual. And anybody who dares to offer an alternative view is considered suspect in some way. I rest my case.

No campaign here, i've been watching the thread with interest. I used to frequent the 12fth Lock, looking forward to seeing it re-open. Don't let that get in the way of your paranoia though. :D
    The silence is deafening right now. Perhaps you could tell us precisely what your angle is. You seem to be aware who has bought the 12th Lock Hotel. I do not have a clue. But you seem to be grounding your arguments on some sort of vendetta against some individual or Company. If you are you should desist and desist now. This, as I stated earlier is a particularly Irish trait, a bit like the Play, The Field. It never ceases to amaze me the lengths that people will go to to try and destroy anybody who is successful in this Country, be they Entertainer, Artist or Businessperson. Let's hope the proper authorities, when they come to consider this matter will take on board the views of people other that the small group who are basing their case on personal grudges rather that more substantive issues.

Silence is normally deafening when you don't give anyone else a chance to reply before you open your mouth again. You don't know who has bought the hotel? But you just said that I had started a "campaign against an individual" in your previous post? Make up your mind, I can't keep up with you.

You'd want to be careful you know, they don't take very kindly around here to people who back seat mod and threaten legal type actions such as "desist" to other posters. Same way they don't like people posting when they have a connection to a business which they din't acknowledge. But you'd know that, seeing as you are a member of boards for six years plus and have so many posts on here, I'm sure you've read the rules...

• Advertisement

No campaign here, i've been watching the thread with interest. I used to frequent the 12fth Lock, looking forward to seeing it re-open. Don't let that get in the way of your paranoia though. :D

Silence is normally deafening when you don't give anyone else a chance to reply before you open your mouth again. You don't know who has bought the hotel? But you just said that I had started a "campaign against an individual" in your previous post? Make up your mind, I can't keep up with you.

You'd want to be careful you know, they don't take very kindly around here to people who back seat mod and threaten legal type actions such as "desist" to other posters. Same way they don't like people posting when they have a connection to a business which they din't acknowledge. But you'd know that, seeing as you are a member of boards for six years plus and have so many posts on here, I'm sure you've read the rules...

I do not know who you are and I care even less, I expect you live somewhere close to the premises you are referring to. It is not a good idea to be making veiled threats against anybody who does not agree with your particular point of view. Have you got that? And it is not a good idea to be basing your arguments on personal grudges against individuals or companies who spend money which helps the economy of this Country. I live close to the premises you are referring to. I do not yet know who has bought it and it is a matter of little interest to me. Clearly it is of great interest to you.

Sweet Jesus, are you for real?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSTO-eMGo_zG22SL3mSrXvxNKBHyr4ytlc1qui5wEhDm817T4EUWvZK8w

We got a real internet tough guy here!

Listen, I think you should log off and come back to us in another six years when you pull your head out of your ass and have something else "important" to say...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,019 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

ok knock it off guys, if you have a problem with a post report don't get personal with other posters.

Gaspode wrote: »
    ok knock it off guys, if you have a problem with a post report don't get personal with other posters.

Let's hope it opens soon and is a great success for whoever the owner / operator is.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

What happened the previous owners? Always seemed like a successful business.

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Not sure really. It was a hive of activity most days but I imagine there were financial issues. It had many problems at the beginning with locals who were not really affected making a big deal out of noise and other issues. It was a friendly place and was well supported by most people in the locality.Niall Mellon was involved with another chap whose name escapes me. It's ideally located and was a great enhancement to the area when it was eventually finished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

'Locals who were not really affected making a big deal out of noise and other issues'...

Really? How do you know they were not affected?

January wrote: »
    'Locals who were not really affected making a big deal out of noise and other issues'...

Really? How do you know they were not affected?

Well I remember the people from the planning appeals board coming out at night carrying out noise surveys and establishing that the M50 motorway had a considerably greater affect on those who were appealing. I know because I was their neighbour in 2005.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Not sure really. It was a hive of activity most days

It wasn't.

It wasn't.

There were times when it was not possible to get a seat in the bar area. It was a busy place, particularly for food and really busy at the weekends.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Those times were long over before it closed. It got to the point were you'd be served out of date beer such was the poor product turn over. You could park your car in the bar area. Only time then it got busy was on sunny days. As a bar it was always otherwise mediocre.

Those times were long over before it closed. It got to the point were you'd be served out of date beer such was the poor product turn over. You could park your car in the bar area. Only time then it got busy was on sunny days. As a bar it was always otherwise mediocre.

I have great memories of sessions there after it opened. It was uniquely positioned with the railway on one side and the canal on the other. It did begin to falter a bit towards the end but that is always the way with popular spots. Whoever has bought will have had to shell out a lot of money and I suspect the new owner may not be the operator at all. There may be a few operators in fact. It is difficult to make money these days on that type of business unless you are busy every day. There are serious overheads apart from the initial work to get the place up to standard.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I enjoyed breakfast there of a Sundays. Nice place.

This thing they're apparently doing without planning....Doesn't look much bigger/different to what was their previously imo.

amdublin wrote: »

This thing they're apparently doing without planning....Doesn't look much bigger/different to what was their previously imo.

It's very similar to what was there previously. Really it's a very private area and the children have a bit of green space to run around. I think there will be Ice Cream available as well which will bring in a different type of crowd, during the day. Really the M50 and the Rail Line are the big impacts on this area.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 MyKitchenSink

Big Nasty wrote: »

Rumor has it that they boarded one of the dilapidated barges that had been moored outside their premises, only for it sink moments later. They were never seen again. SPOOKY

The Whole Purpose of Planning Law is to ensure that Urban Planning is in Line with all Requirements

It is also the Job of the Plannners to decide and If objections are based on Personal Grudges or Busybodys or whatever else you might think then they will be seen as that in the process

But IF there are Legitimite Concerns then they will also be seen as that and it is certainly not for me to decide without seeing any Plans etc which would normally be available for inspection IF a Planning Application was made

And How Did you Find out theres to be an Ice Cream Parlour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

amdublin wrote: »

Size is irrelevant in this case, a permanent structure such as the metal awning/pergola covering the patio area is not an exempted development under statutory instruments 600/2001 and as such requires the proper planning process to be undertaken. It's not that the works are in anyway detrimental to the area, it's simply sets a bad tone for the new owner to begin such works without all legalities in place. That they've undertaken works on a commercial property that requires planning would also suggest they require an updated Disability Access Certificate which takes the new patio area and public staircase into account, this process takes 4-8 weeks and the premises is not permitted to open to the public without being in place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Personally never was a fan of the 12th lock, the bar was often packed but it was so small it would not have taken much.

Was out for breakfast in Castello Bruno on Saturday and it seem to be them that has bought it, anyone confirm?

There was talk of an integrated system being introduced between Brownes, Castello Bruno, De Bruins and the new 12th lock

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

AGC wrote: »
    Personally never was a fan of the 12th lock, the bar was often packed but it was so small it would not have taken much.

Was out for breakfast in Castello Bruno on Saturday and it seem to be them that has bought it, anyone confirm?

There was talk of an integrated system being introduced between Brownes, Castello Bruno, De Bruins and the new 12th lock

http://www.eatindublin15.com/

They have a website but it seems to be down, it does mention an app, maybe someone has that.

Advertisement