Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 12th Lock

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭AlanG

I cant wait to see the place open again but I am opposed to the way they have proceed without planning. I hope they have to revert fully and proceed in a more considerate manner. The seem to have wanted to totally extend the bar and have no soundproofing or disability cert in place for the new area. Having lived at various times beside a pub, motorway, train line and flight path I personally find that the sounds from Pub music are far more disturbing at night than the other sources.

Planning is not a difficult process and the disregard shown for it by the owners and one resurrected poster "with no connection but who knows there is an ice cream parlor going in" shows that certain people don't care about the community. If the new owners take this approach then we can expect them to have no regard for either the licensing or noise laws in the community.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭esteril

xl500 wrote: »
    And How Did you Find out theres to be an Ice Cream Parlour

Because it says so on the sign outside the building. I walk the dogs by the Canal every morning before 7. You should visit sometime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

AlanG wrote: »
    I cant wait to see the place open again but I am opposed to the way they have proceed without planning. I hope they have to revert fully and proceed in a more considerate manner. The seem to have wanted to totally extend the bar and have no soundproofing or disability cert in place for the new area. Having lived at various times beside a pub, motorway, train line and flight path I personally find that the sounds from Pub music are far more disturbing at night than the other sources.

Planning is not a difficult process and the disregard shown for it by the owners and one resurrected poster "with no connection but who knows there is an ice cream parlor going in" shows that certain people don't care about the community. If the new owners take this approach then we can expect them to have no regard for either the licensing or noise laws in the community.
    esteril wrote: »
    Because it says so on the sign outside the building. I walk the dogs by the Canal every morning before 7. You should visit sometime.

Strange that the local who walks his dogs past it every day knows from a sign that there is an ice cream parlour yet he is being challenged by others about that who supposedly are directly affected yet haven't been near enough to read the sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭xl500

Godge wrote: »
    Strange that the local who walks his dogs past it every day knows from a sign that there is an ice cream parlour yet he is being challenged by others about that who supposedly are directly affected yet haven't been near enough to read the sign.

Sign went up after all the Building was complete and it exactly confirms what the locals are saying There was no Planning Application so no Idea what was going on

I presume you had no Clue what was being built as it was ongoing so of course locals enquired as to what was going on

Exactly

I also walk past there every day

That Sign only went up after The New Building was in Place So it only confirms what I said the only reason you knew was because a Sign was posted after the work but no one knew what was going on while it was being built as there were no Plans to inspect

SO of course Locals and maybe some not so local had a perfect right to Enquire what was going on and I would not consider them Begrudgers or Busybodies and If the Planning Authorities start enforcement action then Everyone will Get their Say including the Developer

But the way it was done no-one got a say except the new Owner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭septictank

And How Did you Find out theres to be an Ice Cream Parlour

There calling it an Ice Cream Shack and that information is available on line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭angryIreGamer

it will be winter before that ice cream shack opens after this cock up with planning.

Rumour is that it will be pet friendly, which will be good for me

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Blured

septictank wrote: »

Where?

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭septictank

Blured wrote: »
    Where?

Just google Greg Browne, it's no secret he's the owner of the restaurants/bars mentioned.

https://ie.linkedin.com/in/greg-browne-43558241

septictank wrote: »

The point was that info was only available after it was installed not while construction was ongoing as would be if normal Planning Procedure was followed

• Advertisement

it will be winter before that ice cream shack opens after this cock up with planning.

Probably not Looks like they are going to ignore Planning and go ahead and seek retention

Great Start to New Business

Ice Cream sales have been put into several restaurants in the City recently and no planning was sought or required as far as I know. I think there might have been a few put in in Dublin 15 and Lucan areas also. It is after all a food or a desert and it not involve changing the use.

Ice Cream sales have been put into several restaurants in the City recently and no planning was sought or required as far as I know. I think there might have been a few put in in Dublin 15 and Lucan areas also. It is after all a food or a desert and it not involve changing the use.

There is absolutely no doubt Planning IS required for whats being Developed on the Site

There is absolutely no doubt Planning IS required for whats being Developed on the Site

Most definitely not for the sale of ice cream in a pub or restaurant. A public house is the highest form of retail use there is in this country.

Most definitely not for the sale of ice cream in a pub or restaurant. A public house is the highest form of retail use there is in this country.

Thats not what I Said I said Planning is most Definitely Required for whats happening on That Site

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭angryIreGamer

its the building of an ice cream shack thats the issue, not the the actual selling of ice cream

its the building of an ice cream shack thats the issue, not the the actual selling of ice cream

Planning is required for a lot more than that on that Site

Thats not what I Said I said Planning is most Definitely Required for whats happening on That Site

I walked by it this morning and I could see little difference from previous operation which got permission in the late 90's. But everyone is an expert these days. If begrudgery was a criteria it definitely would need permission to re-open but it has a long established use and no history of trouble and that is a big factor as is the fact that the local public representatives by and large are in favour of it re-opening. It will create a good many jobs which had been lost earlier in the year and give a further option for those wishing to go out for a meal or a drink in civilised surroundings. It's an ideal location for such a facility.

I walked by it this morning and I could see little difference from previous operation which got permission in the late 90's. But everyone is an expert these days. If begrudgery was a criteria it definitely would need permission to re-open but it has a long established use and no history of trouble and that is a big factor as is the fact that the local public representatives by and large are in favour of it re-opening. It will create a good many jobs which had been lost earlier in the year and give a further option for those wishing to go out for a meal or a drink in civilised surroundings. It's an ideal location for such a facility.

That may well be but it does not change the fact that Planning is required

That may well be but it does not change the fact that Planning is required

If it is Greg Browne and it looks now as if it is, it will be a well run establishment. No trouble, no drugs. Is that not what local people want. I know I do. He has made a great success of of his two restaurants in Castleknock and the Steakhouse in Blanchardstown is doing very well in an area where a good restaurant was needed. It is nice to see enterprising people doing well and it is only right that they make a return on their investments. The planning appeals people decided a long time ago that the traffic noise off the M50 interchange had a much greater affect on the local community than the 12th Lock. And the trains passing by every 10 or 15 minutes brought the decibel level close to 100 in the area they did their monitoring. People have to be realistic and reasonable and hopefully the politicians will do their bit also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I think anyone blatantly disregarding planning laws, no matter how well they run a business should have the full force of the law (be that in fines and also making them remove the structure and re-apply for permission) laid upon them.

January wrote: »
    I think anyone blatantly disregarding planning laws, no matter how well they run a business should have the full force of the law (be that in fines and also making them remove the structure and re-apply for permission) laid upon them.

That is for the proper authorities to examine and decide whether there is something to be addressed under retention. It is a statutory right under the Act to apply for retention where there is an issue requiring it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Where have ice cream shacks been added to the outside of restaurants?

If it is Greg Browne and it looks now as if it is, it will be a well run establishment. No trouble, no drugs. Is that not what local people want. I know I do. He has made a great success of of his two restaurants in Castleknock and the Steakhouse in Blanchardstown is doing very well in an area where a good restaurant was needed. It is nice to see enterprising people doing well and it is only right that they make a return on their investments. The planning appeals people decided a long time ago that the traffic noise off the M50 interchange had a much greater affect on the local community than the 12th Lock. And the trains passing by every 10 or 15 minutes brought the decibel level close to 100 in the area they did their monitoring. People have to be realistic and reasonable and hopefully the politicians will do their bit also.

As I said that all may well be But The Development ongoing Requires Planning Permission Thats a fact What you are referring to is a previous Development This is a New Development and not matter if it is Like the old Development or not It still needs Planning Permission and the Planners will Decide if it meets all Criteria under Development Plan Which I certainly am not Qualified to and I am not one of the Everyone is an Expert group as you say But I do know that it Requires Planning no matter If God himself was going to Run it

And if Its all so Above Board Why Has Fingal CC Issued Warning Letters

That is for the proper authorities to examine and decide whether there is something to be addressed under retention. It is a statutory right under the Act to apply for retention where there is an issue requiring it.

Looks like they already Decided There is Something to Be addressed as Warning Letters were issued By Fingal CC

If begrudgery was a criteria .

Begrudgery, the word most used by people who don't actually understand its meaning.

Looks like they already Decided There is Something to Be addressed as Warning Letters were issued By Fingal CC

These go out automatically as soon as somebody makes a complaint. Some County Councils do this now as they are so short staffed. I think they do that now in the City area too. It means nothing.

These go out automatically as soon as somebody makes a complaint. Some County Councils do this now as they are so short staffed. I think they do that now in the City area too. It means nothing.

NO in this Case A Planning Inspector Visited Site Before Letters were issued

Well one thing is for sure, the biggest expense so far for the new place might be their PR department.

• Advertisement

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Well one thing is for sure, the biggest expense so far for the new place might be their PR department.

Judging by the sign on the premises the uses will be by and large the same as under previous operator. That is the most substantial issue. The addition of and ice cream parlour, a clear retail use would be a very minor thing, would make the place more family friendly. I believe the place will be well supported by the local community. There are people who will always complain about everything. Some of these never go out for a meal or a drink and they do not like the idea that others would be out enjoying themselves. That's the type of begrudgery I was referring to previously.

Advertisement