Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 12th Lock

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭esteril

Gaspode wrote: »
    @esteril, you seem to have a great grasp of the developers business needs and plans. You were certain that the parlour would be nothing like the ones suggested be another poster. You failed twice to answer the simple questions I asked earlier, choosing to deflect attention away towards the canal itself.

I have no knowledge of the developers plans, as I said I am not yet certain who the said developer is. I was just pointing out the double standards of locals in my references to the canal which I feel is reasonable. Speaking of structures, some of those barges along side the Hotel building are in a terrible state. That's a further thing the locals could take up with Waterways Ireland. They need a bit of upgrading or removal from the canal.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭xl500

esteril wrote: »
    I have no knowledge of the developers plans, as I said I am not yet certain who the said developer is. I was just pointing out the double standards of locals in my references to the canal which I feel is reasonable. Speaking of structures, some of those barges along side the Hotel building are in a terrible state. That's a further thing the locals could take up with Waterways Ireland. They need a bit of upgrading or removal from the canal.

As you say above "I have no knowledge of the developers plans"

and that is exactly the issue neither has anyone else

Sorry IF I caused Confusion earlier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

With all due respect to the mods, as I'm definitely not arguing mod instruction, but the current discussion of the planning permission, or lack thereof, of the building is pretty relevant to the discussion at hand at the moment.

esteril, you said that the 'ice cream parlour' is not going to be 'gaudy' such as the likes of scrumdiddly's, maud's etc. How do you know that? You either know something the rest of us don't, or you're just being deliberately facetious about the lack of planning permission on a building. It doesn't matter if it's a change of use or not, fact is, they haven't got planning permission for whatever they're building right at this moment in time.

January wrote: »
    With all due respect to the mods, as I'm definitely not arguing mod instruction, but the current discussion of the planning permission, or lack thereof, of the building is pretty relevant to the discussion at hand at the moment.

esteril, you said that the 'ice cream parlour' is not going to be 'gaudy' such as the likes of scrumdiddly's, maud's etc. How do you know that? You either know something the rest of us don't, or you're just being deliberately facetious about the lack of planning permission on a building. It doesn't matter if it's a change of use or not, fact is, they haven't got planning permission for whatever they're building right at this moment in time.

It has just appeared on the Castleknock Gazette that Greg Browne has indeed bought the 12th Lock. Those who know Greg will know that he does not do gaudy. The old barges on the canal I referred to earlier are gaudy and in a seriously unkempt state. The notion that a business person buying a Hotel or any other property has to run it by the local objectors by way of the planning process is quite absurd in my view. They did not want this Hotel in the first place and as we know leopards do not change their spots. Greg would have lost out to one or other of the many parties who were interested in this property if he had gone down that route.The County Councils around Ireland who are trying to encourage investment are fully aware that such a scenario would not be possible. That's what planning retention is designed to address.

It has just appeared on the Castleknock Gazette that Greg Browne has indeed bought the 12th Lock. Those who know Greg will know that he does not do gaudy. The old barges on the canal I referred to earlier are gaudy and in a seriously unkempt state. The notion that a business person buying a Hotel or any other property has to run it by the local objectors by way of the planning process is quite absurd in my view. They did not want this Hotel in the first place and as we know leopards do not change their spots. Greg would have lost out to one or other of the many parties who were interested in this property if he had gone down that route.The County Councils around Ireland who are trying to encourage investment are fully aware that such a scenario would not be possible. That's what planning retention is designed to address.

Unbelievable Statement

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

xl500 wrote: »
    In answer to the Above Post There are 4 Questions

1. "are there design/layout plans available somewhere" Answer No not to General Public

2. "Any links?" Answer No

3. "I know there's a sign outside but does it have the drawings on it or something?"
    Answer No

4.How do you know its like the one inCastello Bruno

I can't answer that only one that can is whoever is doing it

Does that mean

(1) We don't know whether the changes are material enough to require planning permission?
    (2) We don't know whether the new owners have had pre-planning discussions with the planners and have had the informal go-ahead because any changes are within the general scope of the original planning permission?

If there is a planning application, I think I will have a look at it. I wouldn't be surprised to find that the same people who would object to the ice cream parlour would also be the people objecting to the apartments to replace Bradys. There are some NIMBYs in every area.

Godge wrote: »
    Does that mean

(1) We don't know whether the changes are material enough to require planning permission?
    (2) We don't know whether the new owners have had pre-planning discussions with the planners and have had the informal go-ahead because any changes are within the general scope of the original planning permission?

If there is a planning application, I think I will have a look at it. I wouldn't be surprised to find that the same people who would object to the ice cream parlour would also be the people objecting to the apartments to replace Bradys. There are some NIMBYs in every area.

Well i am not sure If this can be answered as the mods have asked to avoid the planning Issue

There is absolutely no need for a business person buying a Hotel or any other Property to run it by Local Objectors And in This thread There were no objections Raised when 12th Lock was sold

Anyone can Buy any Property without Delay as long as there is no Legal impediment to the Sale

Any Problems on this Site were created after the Sale and when New Development was Started

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I love those old barges!!!!!! They're not gaudy at all!! They are part of canal history imo!

Now tell me.more about this ice cream parlour! What is currently in Castello Bruno's re ice cream??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

That's what planning retention is designed to address.

He'll certainly have plenty of time to apply for retention as he will not be permitted to open the doors to the public until his DAC application for the new works has been granted.

• Advertisement

He'll certainly have plenty of time to apply for retention as he will not be permitted to open the doors to the public until his DAC application for the new works has been granted.

What does this mean

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Managed to get a quick glimpse inside and the whole place is gutted.
    Looks like a whole revamp of the interior is going to happen.

Builder mentioned it was a cafe/bar plus ice-cream parlour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Managed to get a quick glimpse inside and the whole place is gutted.
    Looks like a whole revamp of the interior is going to happen.

Builder mentioned it was a cafe/bar plus ice-cream parlour.

No harm, the inside of the bar was poorly laid out and the other 75% of the building seemed to be completely unused,

Starting from scratch is probably the best idea long-term. Missing out on the summer is going to hurt though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Ok I seriously need more info about this ice cream parlour!!!!!!

What do they currently have re ice cream in Castello Bruno's?!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I hope they don't use the same chefs as Castello Brunos. Stopped by for a bite to eat a few weeks ago and had a pizza, it was like cardboard. Person that was with me had chicken, unbelievable, it was so dry it must have been cooked and reheated in a microwave.

Always liked the breakfasts in the 12th lock, but they were overpriced. I hope when it reopens it's not full of screaming kids late in the evening when they should be in bed, would attract the wrong crowd.

I walked by the 12th Lock this morning and the place is buzzing with activity. I had a good look at the area where the outdoor space is and to be honest it is smaller than the original enclosed area. Follow the attached links to see what the previous place looked like. It will bring a bit of life to this area and hopefully Waterways Ireland will clean up the Canal which is full of plastic bottles and other debris sitting on top of the algae.

https://s3-media4.fl.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/FhEyu8vcdAYsV6FZHpNyQA/ls.jpg

http://aff.bstatic.com/images/hotel/840x460/368/36808557.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

I jogged by last night (Friday bank holiday!) and there were a number of people still working on the premises. It looks a lot cleaner as the entire surrounding gardens have been refreshed.

Things I noticed:
    -New steps from the car park up to the entrance
    -Larger patio area which is paved
    -Outdoor seating area surrounded by perspex
    -A wooden "shack" in the garden beside the outdoor seating area
    -A new wooden construction beside the carpark at the lower lever (not sure what this is?)
    -A lot of the shrubs around the building removed and the general outdoor refreshed (All the way down to the entrance beside the canal which is good).

Either way, it looks a good job. Only issue is the canal outside the entrance smells foul, a lot of rubbish built up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Wiillaah

Just chatting to a guy who working on the place...

He mentioned a few things regarding the new layout which sound interesting....

1/ They are opening up a new fine dining seafood restaurant on the left side of the building
    2/ The cafe/bar internal layout on the right side will not change too much discounting a few cosmetic changes
    3/ As previously discussed..The outdoor area has been extended slightly with an ice cream shack positioned towards the back

He's working through the long weekend so there is clearly a push on to get things finished asap. I'm not really into seafood personally but I'm sure some folk may see it as a plus...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Saw this when down earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Saw this when down earlier.

Beat me to it, was there about the same time...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 MyKitchenSink

Looking good so far.

The got rid of the door with the big door with the unique handle

py2006 wrote: »
    The got rid of the door with the big door with the unique handle

Yeah I liked that handle! (the ship's wheel?)

amdublin wrote: »
    Yeah I liked that handle! (the ship's wheel?)

Yea its a generic glass door now.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭RTT

Passed by today and had a look inside. It seems like they've removed the large wooden canal lock structure inside to make the space more open. Seems to be a fair bit more work to do before it reopens.

RTT wrote: »
    Passed by today and had a look inside. It seems like they've removed the large wooden canal lock structure inside to make the space more open. Seems to be a fair bit more work to do before it reopens.

I don't know this this structure....where was it situated?

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭RTT

amdublin wrote: »
    I don't know this this structure....where was it situated?

It was opposite the bar between the doors leading out to the patio area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭AlanG

I was just pointing out the double standards of locals in my references to the canal which I feel is reasonable. Speaking of structures, some of those barges along side the Hotel building are in a terrible state. That's a further thing the locals could take up with Waterways Ireland. They need a bit of upgrading or removal from the canal.

Greg - you should remember that if it wasn't for the locals the canal would still be closed down. Lots of local families spent decades working in the royal canal amenity group to restore the canal. The did this work so that barges could use the canal - not simply so people could drink beer beside it. The canal is a place for barges.
    You should have some respect for the locals who actually did all the work and put large parts of their lives into the work that has made your business feasible.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

AlanG wrote: »
    Greg - you should remember that if it wasn't for the locals the canal would still be closed down. Lots of local families spent decades working in the royal canal amenity group to restore the canal. The did this work so that barges could use the canal - not simply so people could drink beer beside it. The canal is a place for barges.
    You should have some respect for the locals who actually did all the work and put large parts of their lives into the work that has made your business feasible.

There's nothing to suggest that the poster you're addressing is Greg Browne, so knock it off with that rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

"The canal is a place for barges"

Brilliant.

Advertisement