Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fav Alcohol Free Beer?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,941 ✭✭✭sporina

BeerNut wrote: »
    Erdinger is a hefe-weissbier ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

but its not cloudy? the blue one - its like "crystal" is it not?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

sporina wrote: »
    but its not cloudy? the blue one - its like "crystal" is it not?
    I've always taken it that the vitamin-content claim of Erdinger Alkoholfrei is based on it being unfiltered. Could be wrong, though. I haven't seen it in real life in years.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I've always taken it that the vitamin-content claim of Erdinger Alkoholfrei is based on it being unfiltered. Could be wrong, though. I haven't seen it in real life in years.

I think all beer contains a good amount of B vitamins from the malt, but alcohol inhibits absorption so only non-alc beers will give you much benefit.

I'd imagine Erdinger Non-Alc is probably not given a secondary fermentation in the bottle, so that would make it less cloudy than the regular.

irish_goat wrote: »
    I think all beer contains a good amount of B vitamins from the malt, but alcohol inhibits absorption so only non-alc beers will give you much benefit.

I'd imagine Erdinger Non-Alc is probably not given a secondary fermentation in the bottle, so that would make it less cloudy than the regular.

its totally different to regular Erdinger.. as in, it doesn't have the frothy/yeasty head - you can pour it like a regular beer.. its totally clear.. not cloudy at all... I imagine its not made with yeast at all but i could be wrong on that

Hmm. The company provides a lot of data on it, including that the original gravity is 7.2° Plato. I make that about 1.028 in real money. To get to 0.5% ABV you need to ferment to 1.025. Maybe they are using the low-attenuation yeast after all, rather than dealcoholising the finished product.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Hmm. The company provides a lot of data on it, including that the original gravity is 7.2° Plato. I make that about 1.028 in real money. To get to 0.5% ABV you need to ferment to 1.025. Maybe they are using the low-attenuation yeast after all, rather than dealcoholising the finished product.

I have been told it has to be categorised as an isotonic drink because of the amount of sugars in it, which would fit with your theory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

The ones I've had include:

Nanny State - good hop flavour, doesn't have that overly-sweet taste, and I've had session ales which are alcoholic and taste exactly the same.

Foxes Rock - pretty decent, I've only had it once though, good price for a large bottle too (unlike Nanny State).

Wicklow Wolf Limelight - 0/10. Was rotten.

Wicklow Wolf Moonlight - not as bad as Limelight but I didn't like it either.

Punk AF - I can't remember it but I rated it 1.75/5 on Untapped so I mustn't have liked it!

Fruh kolsch - was pretty poor as well, wouldn't get it again

Birra Moretti - wasn't great, was sweet but also sour at the same time

To OI Implosion - I thought this was going to be different but was pretty much the same as all the others out there.

Slammer Nano IPA - not 0%, 2.8% and it was pretty decent

Pistonhead Flat Tire - liked this, not massively different but was more like a light beer than anything else

Guinness Open

It's really hard to find a non-alco beer that actually tastes like real beer. All the Heineken / Erdinger etc ones are just disgusting, they all taste the same and are not enjoyable, unless you're desperate!

I'd really like someone to bring out a decent non alco red ale, porter, or a stout - just for something different. Could make a nice chocolate or coffee porter and bring out those kinds of flavours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

+1 for brewdog nanny state. Guinness also do a really nice lager too (think it’s .5%) in a blue can but can’t remember what it’s called. I have a load of them in the fridge

Also like the Nanny State.

I'd really like someone to bring out a decent non alco red ale, porter, or a stout - just for something different. Could make a nice chocolate or coffee porter and bring out those kinds of flavours.
    Open Gate has certainly done non-alcoholic stout pretty successfully, IMO. Last time was during the Rugby World Cup. The best non-alcoholic beer I've ever tasted is Švyturys Go Juodas, a stout, but it's not sold here.

The dark malt drinks that they sell in the Asian and African shops, like Guinness Malta and Supermalt, aren't labelled as beer but they do come pretty close to tasting like non-alcoholic stout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭poitinstill

aldi have an ok alc free ipa. and a brown bear lager and st eitnne lager ( 97 c for 500 ml bottle) ok cold

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

There’s a non-alcoholic porter and milk stout in the Virgin Mary Bar online store although the stout is sold out. Haven’t tried either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭chancer007

recently tried the aldi Maisels Weissebier, very nice & a good price
    i also tried the other aldo non-alcholic IPA, roadworks I think, malty & tasted very good

had Becks tonight - I didn't like it - which is disappointing cos its cheap.. it has flavour - and tastes like beer.. but not a beer I would like..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

had Becks tonight - I didn't like it - which is disappointing cos its cheap.. it has flavour - and tastes like beer.. but not a beer I would like..

I think Beck's is dreadful. The cheapest NA can in Dunnes (Gerstel, at 55c per can) tastes nicer in my opinion. I actually didn't like Gerstel at all the first time I tasted it, but it has grown on me and I now prefer it (has to be cold!) to Beck's, Heineken, Carlsberg and the Guinness Pure Brew one, which are all way more expensive.

I find the lager-style ones to be very disappointing (Peroni is an exception).
    The weiss style ones are way better, but can be overly sweet.
    I think any of the IPA ones come closest to tasting like actual beer (even the €1 Lidl NA IPA).

I've a Lidl Petronus weiss here beside me (€1,27 for 500ml), and in the interests of back-to-back taste testing, I'm going to crack open a Gerstel (55c for 500ml) straight after... [EDIT: more noticeably bitter and a bit chemically, but actually welcome after the cloying Petronus weiss].

In pubs, you're pretty much limited to what you can get: generally Becks or Heineken if you're unlucky; Erdinger if you're lucky; Paulaner if you're really lucky. Peroni and Pure Brew are in some pubs (more than the Paulaner), but you'll usually find Becks, Heineken or Erdinger are the only options.

I's a boom time for NA beers, and I look forward to trying some of the ones mentioned above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RonanC

To Øl's Implosion and Lervig's No Worries are both superb. Brooklyn Special Effects is excellent too.

• Advertisement

RonanC wrote: »
    To Øl's Implosion and Lervig's No Worries are both superb. Brooklyn Special Effects is excellent too.

what are they? lager or ales or? and where do you get them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

what are they? lager or ales or? and where do you get them?

They’re both pale ales. I’ve bought them in Molloys and Craft Central.

I found Implosion to be very meh. Very samey. Probably expecting too much.

Had Peroni 00 again last night - yuk - defo won't have it again - sickly sweet after taste..

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Had Peroni 00 again last night - yuk - defo won't have it again - sickly sweet after taste..

On the plus side, it makes really good pizza dough. :)

• Advertisement

Zaph wrote: »
    On the plus side, it makes really good pizza dough. :)

ha ha really?

Having the Erdinger N/A Grapefruit today. Was only 99p in the offy(330ml). Doesn't taste much like a wheat beer but it's pretty tasty. Could have a few of these over the course of an evening.

Bavaria N/A is available up here too, for those students who want to cut back on the booze. It ain't great.

aldi have an ok alc free ipa. and a brown bear lager and st eitnne lager ( 97 c for 500 ml bottle) ok cold

saw them today - I don't like IPA in any form.. I got a bottle to Baltika.. will have it later.. saw Brown bear (not into fruit flavours) and St Eitenne (just looked dodgy) - didn't purchase
    I was surprised by how many alcohol low/free beers they have - there is obviously a demand...

Having the Erdinger N/A Grapefruit today. Was only 99p in the offy(330ml). Doesn't taste much like a wheat beer but it's pretty tasty. Could have a few of these over the course of an evening.

The lemon one isn't bad either.

Forgot to mention Bavaria 0%, it's not too bad actually, poured cold from the can, I put in a slice of lime to balance the sweetness and it was pretty nice.

I had Bavaria 0%.. gee - terrible chemical taste of it - its cheap but I would rather pay more for better quality..

Just had the Baltica 0.5 from ALDI - its v v nice but a bit flat - not much effervescence - might be something to do with the cap - it has a little pull thing on it for removing it so you don't need a bottle opener.. but maybe the seal isn't so good.. pity cos its tasty and v v refreshing..

Back on the Carlsberg now - its my fav so far - have yet to try the Guinness one and Moretti.. they are next if i can find them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭poitinstill

+ aldi have Reinbacher alc free .. ( 6 pack for 3.96) tried one but it was way too cold even as it warmed no nasty rubber band taste like most.

Brewmaster are releasing a 1.8% IPA and a 0.5% IPA.

rsz_brewmaster.jpg

Diageo launching Guinness 0.0. Interesting that they are saying it's been "cold filtered" to remove the alcohol, rather than "cooked" or using a different yeast.

guinnesszero1.jpg

Drinking one now. It's pretty convincing. They've certainly nailed the texture and tangy sourness of real Guinness. It still has the sweet worty thing that dealcoholised beers tend to have, it's just muted because of the roast.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Drinking one now. It's pretty convincing. They've certainly nailed the texture and tangy sourness of real Guinness. It still has the sweet worty thing that dealcoholised beers tend to have, it's just muted because of the roast.

Always thought a nitro n/a Guinness would have a decent shot at replicating a real one given how much of what the drinker is looking for in the alcoholic version comes down to texture rather than flavour (or lack thereof) anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

it's been "cold filtered" to remove the alcohol, rather than "cooked" or using a different yeast.
    I guess this is using reverse osmosis(?)

but they would not want to use that term in marketing as it sounds like some crazy processing and "cold filtering" sounds "natural" & safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Fall_Guy wrote: »
    Always thought a nitro n/a Guinness would have a decent shot at replicating a real one given how much of what the drinker is looking for in the alcoholic version comes down to texture rather than flavour (or lack thereof) anyway
    Not a fan of Nitro (anything), but the father in law liked the Light one they had/ have out that just didn't seem to sell. He's been through a lot of Diageo attempts at Guinness variations at this stage though!

If/ when pubs open I could see it doing well - or at least it should, given the "old fella's having a couple of pints" argument against drink driving enforcement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,104 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Availability to market when ?

Macy0161 wrote: »
    If/ when pubs open I could see it doing well - or at least it should, given the "old fella's having a couple of pints" argument against drink driving enforcement.
    It'll get stick for being at or around the same price as full-strength Guinness, I'd say. "Sure I may as well..."
    listermint wrote: »
    Availability to market when ?
    Diageo wrote:
    Guinness 0.0 will be available in 500 ml can format in off-licences and supermarkets from November 2020 at a RRP of €6 for a 4-pack and will be available in pubs across Ireland and Great Britain from Spring 2021 and available in more markets throughout the world later in 2021.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Lech 0.0 is tops for me. Few different flavours to try also.

See previous page on this thread. And same page.

500ml or 470ml can though???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭twomonkeys

See previous page on this thread. And same page.

Someone asked when it would be launched to market. The poster was replying to that??
    See 4 comments back from your own sarcastic comment.

twomonkeys wrote: »
    Someone asked when it would be launched to market. The poster was replying to that??
    See 4 comments back from your own sarcastic comment.

I asked when it was launched, it was answered by brewnut who brought information to the thread.

The post i replied to put it in the thread as if it was new news, not based on launch time frames.

My point is it was already under discussion.

No need to be sarkey its thursday....

I asked when it was launched, it was answered by brewnut who brought information to the thread.

The post i replied to put it in the thread as if it was new news, not based on launch time frames.

My point is it was already under discussion.

No need to be sarkey its thursday....

I just didn't see the previous post before I submitted mine. Relax guys.

500ml or 470ml can though?
    The Public Health (Alcohol) Act doesn't apply to it, so 500ml, of course, with a floating widget. Ingredients listing laws do apply, however, so you'll find fructose on there, as well as "natural flavourings", which the brewer at the press launch today wouldn't be drawn on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭Macy0161

as well as "natural flavourings", which the brewer at the press launch today wouldn't be drawn on.
    Can't be much, given it's trying to replicate Guinness :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Looking forward to trying one of these! :) I liked the mid strength Guinness back in the day too...when I could get it. Didn't get the hatred for it at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Will the NA Guinness farts be as lethal? Genuine question btw.

The lemon one isn't bad either.

Had the Erdinger Lemon last night. Quite nice, radler like almost. Got a little sweet as it warmed up but I think I'll pick a few up again to have when I want something cold and refreshing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,477 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Aglomerado wrote: »
    Looking forward to trying one of these! :) I liked the mid strength Guinness back in the day too...when I could get it. Didn't get the hatred for it at all.

That was great stuff, for weddings or long days on the sauce. Is it gone altogether? I remember seeing in places up until maybe 2 or 3 years ago. Am v excited RE the non alcoholic Guinness, if it captures the texture I'll be happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

That was great stuff, for weddings or long days on the sauce. Is it gone altogether? I remember seeing in places up until maybe 2 or 3 years ago. Am v excited RE the non alcoholic Guinness, if it captures the texture I'll be happy.
    I haven't seen it in years sadly. Hopefully the new stuff lives up to the promise!

That was great stuff, for weddings or long days on the sauce. Is it gone altogether? I remember seeing in places up until maybe 2 or 3 years ago.
    Guinness Mid-Strength is still on the go, but only in sports club bars, by and large. The company says it won't be affected by the launch of Guinness 0.0.

• Advertisement
Advertisement