Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fav Alcohol Free Beer?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Wicklow Wolf Moonlight is my favourite of the ones I've tried, followed by Nanny State and Punk AF by Brewdog. Early Start by Roadworks/ Station Works in Aldi is my regular AF.

I probably drink them in volume terms in reverse order, due to cost! But if I was going somewhere as a driver for the night pre-covid, I took some/ all/ a combo of the first three.

The multinational lager options, taste like multinational lagers, which isn't for me. I've also tried the Lidl AF IPA, but that's pretty rank tbh.

Paulaner or Erdinger AF were my defaults in the pub if I was driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭sporina

Aglomerado wrote: »
    I get Early Start regularly, it has a nice little hop kick. On the same shelf they usually have Baltika zero alcohol lager which is also very good.

oh I like Baltika beer so much keep an eye out for the Zero version..

must try Brew Dog.. mind you (I should have said at the start) I only like Larger - not Ale etc..

Might try the ALDI one..

Also, I don't like a chemical taste,.

I would rather pay for more better quality..

thanks all..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

sporina wrote: »
    oh I like Baltika beer so much keep an eye out for the Zero version..

It has a red stripe on the bottle "collar" and is usually on the bottom shelf. I had one last night, great for a midweek beer with no guilt. :)

Aglomerado wrote: »
    It has a red stripe on the bottle "collar" and is usually on the bottom shelf. I had one last night, great for a midweek beer with no guilt. :)

where do you get it? I live in Cork City btw..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

where do you get it? I live in Cork City btw..

Any of your local Aldis will have it :) Look out for the Early Start nearby too. Purpley label with a car motif.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Just to point in, the alcohol free beers (in my local aldi's at least) aren't with the beer. They're with the spirits/ gin at the checkout end.

Just to add, Early Start is by far the pick of the "Roadworks" range (alcohol or alcohol free) - it's the nicest imo. Just in case the pale ale or IPA would put people off.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I only like Larger - not Ale etc..
    Of the lager-style ones I've tried, Guinness Pure Brew is the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

Krombacher with alcohol tastes delicious. Krombacher without alcohol tastes like the smell of a brewery.

GazzaL wrote: »
    Krombacher with alcohol tastes delicious. Krombacher without alcohol tastes like the smell of a brewery.
    I get a definite worty/porridgey effect from the other German ones too. I don't think the big German breweries have caught up with the new method of brewing alcohol-free beer by using a super-low-attenuation yeast.

BeerNut wrote: »
    I get a definite worty/porridgey effect from the other German ones too. I don't think the big German breweries have caught up with the new method of brewing alcohol-free beer by using a super-low-attenuation yeast.

I'd rather have a Radler than a zero alcohol beer based on what I've tried. Obviously not an option for people who want to cut out alcohol.

• Advertisement

Isn't Erdinger German? I liked the 0.5 version of it..

I'd rather have a Radler than a zero alcohol beer based on what I've tried. Obviously not an option for people who want to cut out alcohol.

whats a Radler? In any case, I can't have alcohol.. though feck it I would still have the 0.5% stuff..

Isn't Erdinger German? I liked the 0.5 version of it..
    It is. It's not a lager though. I found it still had the porridge thing but masked by the weissbier banana flavour. Paulaner Alkoholfrei is another in the weissbier style and I thought it had more character than the Erdinger one.
    whats a Radler?
    Shandy. The commercial ones are generally around the 2/2.5% ABV mark.

Or just get some lemonade/7up and mix it with your beer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,880 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If you like shandy \ radler but 2% is still too high a %, you could add a dash of soft drink to the alcohol free beer.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 spike90

I've been trying a few during pregnancy and have found Birra Moretti 0.0% the best so far. Closest to a decent 'real beer' without the metal taste that I find a lot of the other 0.0% beers have. If it's freezing cold, I would have a Heineken 0.0% but am not a huge fan.

Normally speaking, I wouldn't touch cider, particularly not Bulmers, but their 0.0% is actually really refreshing and satisfies a gap.

By far though, the Guinness Pure Brew Open Gate is my favourite 'low alcohol' beer. It's my go-to usually on nights out I am driving etc. at 0.5% but I've been sticking to the 0.0% ones to be ultra safe since being pregnant.

Or just get some lemonade/7up and mix it with your beer :)
    That won't get you anything like Stiegl Radler. Grapefruit juice might, though.

spike90 wrote: »
    I've been trying a few during pregnancy and have found Birra Moretti 0.0% the best so far. Closest to a decent 'real beer' without the metal taste that I find a lot of the other 0.0% beers have. If it's freezing cold, I would have a Heineken 0.0% but am not a huge fan.

Must try the Moretti and Guinness varieties.. thanks

Normally speaking, I wouldn't touch cider, particularly not Bulmers, but their 0.0% is actually really refreshing and satisfies a gap.

By far though, the Guinness Pure Brew Open Gate is my favourite 'low alcohol' beer. It's my go-to usually on nights out I am driving etc. at 0.5% but I've been sticking to the 0.0% ones to be ultra safe since being pregnant.
    It is. It's not a lager though. I found it still had the porridge thing but masked by the weissbier banana flavour. Paulaner Alkoholfrei is another in the weissbier style and I thought it had more character than the Erdinger one.

The Erdinger Blue bottle is a larger isn't it?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

The Erdinger Blue bottle is a larger isn't it?

It's a wheat beer, not a lager.

irish_goat wrote: »
    It's a wheat beer, not a lager.

oh ok - well i did like the taste of the Erdinger Blue.. but it was quiet sweet (thats the only think I didn't like about it)..

I defo don't like the yeasty beers.. hefe..etc

oh ok - well i did like the taste of the Erdinger Blue.. but it was quiet sweet (thats the only think I didn't like about it)..

I defo don't like the yeasty beers.. hefe..etc
    Erdinger is a hefe-weissbier ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Advertisement

Erdinger is a hefe-weissbier ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

but its not cloudy? the blue one - its like "crystal" is it not?

but its not cloudy? the blue one - its like "crystal" is it not?
    I've always taken it that the vitamin-content claim of Erdinger Alkoholfrei is based on it being unfiltered. Could be wrong, though. I haven't seen it in real life in years.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I've always taken it that the vitamin-content claim of Erdinger Alkoholfrei is based on it being unfiltered. Could be wrong, though. I haven't seen it in real life in years.

I think all beer contains a good amount of B vitamins from the malt, but alcohol inhibits absorption so only non-alc beers will give you much benefit.

I'd imagine Erdinger Non-Alc is probably not given a secondary fermentation in the bottle, so that would make it less cloudy than the regular.

irish_goat wrote: »
    I think all beer contains a good amount of B vitamins from the malt, but alcohol inhibits absorption so only non-alc beers will give you much benefit.

I'd imagine Erdinger Non-Alc is probably not given a secondary fermentation in the bottle, so that would make it less cloudy than the regular.

its totally different to regular Erdinger.. as in, it doesn't have the frothy/yeasty head - you can pour it like a regular beer.. its totally clear.. not cloudy at all... I imagine its not made with yeast at all but i could be wrong on that

Hmm. The company provides a lot of data on it, including that the original gravity is 7.2° Plato. I make that about 1.028 in real money. To get to 0.5% ABV you need to ferment to 1.025. Maybe they are using the low-attenuation yeast after all, rather than dealcoholising the finished product.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Hmm. The company provides a lot of data on it, including that the original gravity is 7.2° Plato. I make that about 1.028 in real money. To get to 0.5% ABV you need to ferment to 1.025. Maybe they are using the low-attenuation yeast after all, rather than dealcoholising the finished product.

I have been told it has to be categorised as an isotonic drink because of the amount of sugars in it, which would fit with your theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

The ones I've had include:

Nanny State - good hop flavour, doesn't have that overly-sweet taste, and I've had session ales which are alcoholic and taste exactly the same.

Foxes Rock - pretty decent, I've only had it once though, good price for a large bottle too (unlike Nanny State).

Wicklow Wolf Limelight - 0/10. Was rotten.

Wicklow Wolf Moonlight - not as bad as Limelight but I didn't like it either.

Punk AF - I can't remember it but I rated it 1.75/5 on Untapped so I mustn't have liked it!

Fruh kolsch - was pretty poor as well, wouldn't get it again

Birra Moretti - wasn't great, was sweet but also sour at the same time

To OI Implosion - I thought this was going to be different but was pretty much the same as all the others out there.

Slammer Nano IPA - not 0%, 2.8% and it was pretty decent

Pistonhead Flat Tire - liked this, not massively different but was more like a light beer than anything else

Guinness Open

It's really hard to find a non-alco beer that actually tastes like real beer. All the Heineken / Erdinger etc ones are just disgusting, they all taste the same and are not enjoyable, unless you're desperate!

I'd really like someone to bring out a decent non alco red ale, porter, or a stout - just for something different. Could make a nice chocolate or coffee porter and bring out those kinds of flavours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

+1 for brewdog nanny state. Guinness also do a really nice lager too (think it’s .5%) in a blue can but can’t remember what it’s called. I have a load of them in the fridge

Also like the Nanny State.

I'd really like someone to bring out a decent non alco red ale, porter, or a stout - just for something different. Could make a nice chocolate or coffee porter and bring out those kinds of flavours.
    Open Gate has certainly done non-alcoholic stout pretty successfully, IMO. Last time was during the Rugby World Cup. The best non-alcoholic beer I've ever tasted is Švyturys Go Juodas, a stout, but it's not sold here.

The dark malt drinks that they sell in the Asian and African shops, like Guinness Malta and Supermalt, aren't labelled as beer but they do come pretty close to tasting like non-alcoholic stout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

aldi have an ok alc free ipa. and a brown bear lager and st eitnne lager ( 97 c for 500 ml bottle) ok cold

Advertisement