Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BANDSCAN THREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Max Power 2010

Interesting article on Radiowaves about the original Club FM:
    http://radiowaves.fm/ire/database/club-fm-2/

I always thought it launched in 1994. Apparently it was around on a small-scale since 1990, making it the first dance station. Are Gleann and Tony Weston the same person?

Interesting, I only recall them from 94 also.

Correct, Glen Kelly was Tony Weston, I read somewhere he ran the station with his brother David, was he DJ Marco? Or perhaps not involved at all if anybody knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

march 1993 to june 1999 were the running dates i always thought, all though by 1999 it was called vibe fm.
    i did read that updated article for club fm the other day and found it interesting. i never remember anyone anywhere mentioning the station started in 1990 so presumably it was very low powered?
    i do know i heard the station the odd time in it's later years, but i was quite young at the time so didn't pay much attention regretibly, as i was more interested in the music side of radio rather then the radio side.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭TheBMG

I always thought it launched in 1994. Apparently it was around on a small-scale since 1990, making it the first dance station. Are Gleann and Tony Weston the same person?

That article isn’t entirely accurate. Club only came on air in late 93/early 94 on 100.4 (I think - it was definitely around the 100 mark). Anything Tony Weston says I’d take with a serious grain of salt or two.

The first part time pirate station in Dublin playing a dance/rhythmic format would’ve been Paul Hesse’s hobby pirate known as “K104” and latterly “Hot 103“. I actually picked him up early on New Years Day 1989 after everything else had gone off the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

TheBMG wrote: »
    That article isn’t entirely accurate. Club only came on air in late 93/early 94 on 100.4 (I think - it was definitely around the 100 mark). Anything Tony Weston says I’d take with a serious grain of salt or two.

The first part time pirate station in Dublin playing a dance/rhythmic format would’ve been Paul Hesse’s hobby pirate known as “K104” and latterly “Hot 103“. I actually picked him up early on New Years Day 1989 after everything else had gone off the air.

That's interesting. So when did K104 start? That's a new one on me: so that would have been the first dance pirate so? Still discovering stuff in 2020!

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Oscarziggy

***Strong Sporadic E signals 6pm 29 May on 87.5 from Spain***

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭TheBMG

That's interesting. So when did K104 start? That's a new one on me: so that would have been the first dance pirate so? Still discovering stuff in 2020!

Paul Hesse was on from the mid 1980s occasionally as “Rainbow Radio”.

He was on-air occasionally from 89-92 as K104 and latterly Hot 103. Format was a lot of commercial dance/piano house stuff and was very slick.

He broadcast from Beneavin in Glasnevin and got out quite well. The audio was normally very good but somewhat overmodded which could cause a bit of splatter if you were listening from a distance.

The last time I heard him was in early 1992 .. he seemed to disappear as the more well known stations of the early 90s arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,003 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

TheBMG wrote: »

It would have kicked off in and round about February or March 94; it was definitely on air by Easter 1994 but it was certainly not on air in 1990, not a hope. I remember being told by Tracey Lee of a time when Glen visiting Sunset to see their set up. She had explain the difference between 1/4 inch and mini jacks and he literally did not know how to wire up a mixer, or an amp as he called it.

Some would quip that he still didn't know how to wire up a mixer when Club closed down :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

Have to say great tribute this evening. Music I haven't heard in years. Love hearing the jingles. Memories of many years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭bossdrum

castle2012 wrote: »
    Have to say great tribute this evening. Music I haven't heard in years. Love hearing the jingles. Memories of many years ago

Even Mark Kavanagh said a few words, so he must have been involved somewhere along the way.

bossdrum wrote: »
    Even Mark Kavanagh said a few words, so he must have been involved somewhere along the way.

Yea heard some names talking which I haven't heard in years. Makes you realise what great pirates we had back in the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

mixing is excellent on the club fm tribute so far. All the mixing is in key which is rare to hear on the radio. Enjoying this

mixing is excellent on the club fm tribute so far. All the mixing is in key which is rare to hear on the radio. Enjoying this

I wonder who that dj is at the top of each hour, very pro

https://touch.boards.ie/forum/126

Interesting link about why Club fm closed and never reopened. It seems FK bought it

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/46981/1/#post417862

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Interesting link about why Club fm closed and never reopened. It seems FK bought it

That was a different Club FM. Around the same time as Energy 94 and the original Hot FM.

JDxtra wrote: »
    That was a different Club FM. Around the same time as Energy 94 and the original Hot FM.

Have a look down the page a bit it mentions the guys didn't want to spend thousands and go up against spin so sold up to FK

that was a different club fm.
    the original club fm 106.4 closed to apply for the youth license being advertised, apparently they didn't apply in the end, i don't know why that was the case.
    from the thread you linked to, it looks like the club fm sold to fk was a new station planned to launch, but for whatever reason didn't.

Your link just goes to a section on boards, not a post so not sure what was written to check it.

However, I was there at the time and it was absolutely a different Club FM unrelated to the one from 106.4. It was likely part of FKs spending spree when he also purchased Energy 94 FM. This would have been late 2001-ish.

The Club FM/Vibe FM on 106.4 ceased mid-1999 and never returned.

that was a different club fm.
    the original club fm 106.4 closed to apply for the youth license being advertised, apparently they didn't apply in the end, i don't know why that was the case.
    from the thread you linked to, it looks like the club fm sold to fk was a new station planned to launch, but for whatever reason didn't.

Right. FK must have taught he owned the radio business in Dublin back then from the looks of it

Your link just goes to a section on boards, not a post so not sure what was written to check it.

However, I was there at the time and it was absolutely a different Club FM unrelated to the one from 106.4. It was likely part of FKs spending spree when he also purchased Energy 94 FM. This would have been late 2001-ish.

The Club FM/Vibe FM on 106.4 ceased mid-1999 and never returned.

this is the thread castle was trying to link to.

this is the thread castle was trying to link to.

Thankfully I was in Australia at the time so missed the specifics, but when I came back I think this "Club FM" was just a computer in the back room of Energy 94. It was a long time ago, maybed I missed something.

• Advertisement

Thankfully I was in Australia at the time so missed the specifics, but when I came back I think this "Club FM" was just a computer in the back room of Energy 94. It was a long time ago, maybed I missed something.

I think your right there I remember it myself, about 2002.
    still listening to Club. And excellent tribute. Didn't realise dj marko passed away rip

i do remember there was an automated club fm on i think 99.1 which didn't last long from what i can remember, a couple of weeks i think.
    i suspect though that isn't it as for some reason i'm thinking it came on earlier in the year and i believe it had a different owner.

I think your right there I remember it myself, about 2002.
    still listening to Club. And excellent tribute. Didn't realise dj marko passed away rip

didn't know that, where did you hear this?

i do remember there was an automated club fm on i think 99.1 which didn't last long from what i can remember, a couple of weeks i think.
    i suspect though that isn't it as for some reason i'm thinking it came on earlier in the year and i believe it had a different owner.

didn't know that, where did you hear this?

A guy mentions the Dj on clubs Facebook Post today

A guy mentions the Dj on clubs Facebook Post today

just saw that there now.

Have a look down the page a bit it mentions the guys didn't want to spend thousands and go up against spin so sold up to FK

There was a Klub FM on 99.1 around 2002 FK I imagine and a HOT Fm on 99.4,:, you just can't make this up, Klub rebranded to Vibe and started playing RnB, then eventually buying HOT.

Open to correction of course.

There was a Klub FM on 99.1 around 2002 FK I imagine and a HOT Fm on 99.4,:, you just can't make this up, Klub rebranded to Vibe and started playing RnB, then eventually buying HOT.

Open to correction of course.

as far as i know club 99.1 didn't rebrand but were raided, the vibe then came a bit later on, i think late 2002 early 2003.
    i think fk had long bought hot fm before setting up the vibe, or bought the vibe if it was set up by someone else.

as far as i know club 99.1 didn't rebrand but were raided, the vibe then came a bit later on, i think late 2002 early 2003.
    i think fk had long bought hot fm before setting up the vibe, or bought the vibe if it was set up by someone else.

That was my memory of what happened at the time

Cheers lads, that sounds about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I wonder who that dj is at the top of each hour, very pro

Any idea who that guy was last night on Club FM on 107.1? He did sound good actually.

I tuned in a couple of times to hear the name checks from the old Club FM until the "banging tunes" got too much for me! Incidentally, the current Club FM is available on the Radio Garden app.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Sunnyboy11

Cannot pick up Pirate FM on 88.1fm only getting BBC Radio 2 here in Monkstown it was the same on Saturday

Advertisement