Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rock on, Rockall! (it's back)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Tuskar crash in '68.
    Fouga Magister in service from '75 to '99.

_blaaz wrote: »

Should seen her meltdown over mcclean singing a love poem

Ah, now she's fiesty and want to make friends.

Anyway, when does the invasion start? As long as we're back for next week's episode of Killing Eve I'm golden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

Tuskar crash in '68.
    Fouga Magister in service from '75 to '99.

It is well known there was one on test in 1968. Can you explain why a Fouga Magister was listed as one of the Air Corps aircraft in service in 1968, as stated in appendix 5.2.g of the 2002 report?? the two pilots in the trainer survived by ejecting and parachuting to safety, an instructor claimed. Both the French and Irish authorities colluded in a subsequent cover-up, a flight instructor claimed, and the Fouga Magister wreckage may still be on the seabed off Co Wexford. Why was no proper search for the wreckage done, and the bit that were found disposed of before interested parties could examine them?
    _blaaz wrote: »
    Should seen her meltdown over mcclean singing a love poem

Never heard mcclean singing a love poem, I never had a meltdown, dunno what you are on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Wtf has a plane crash from 1968 got to do with the topic of the thread?

bear1 wrote: »
    Wtf has a plane crash from 1968 got to do with the topic of the thread?

Alright, Jeremy Paxman. As long as it's interesting...

Anything to add re Rockhall yourself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Alright, Jeremy Paxman. As long as it's interesting...

Anything to add re Rockhall yourself?

I did..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,372 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

So is this a gig or music festival.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

wonder will the scottish administration apply to the London lord mayor to "borrow" hms Belfast from its birth on the thames, so that it can take part in some target practice in the north sea ;)

HMS belfast has big guns.
    Can hit the Watford service station on the M1 motorway from where its parked ( what do call a parking a ship again )on the Thames .

Always wondered why Watford was so well behaved .

In the Good Old Days , Someone would have suggested a Drinking Contest.....

so....I suggest a Drinking Competition .

Watch out for the Clan McDonalds . I think they did something really bad after having some aqaintances over for a feast and drink in Scottish History .

If its McDonalds , pretend to be drunk but don’t fall asleep ........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

So I gather we don't recognise the fact that Rockwall is a UK rock, and that the territorial waters surrounding Rockwall are UK waters, yet we don't lay claim to the rock or the waters :cool:

• Advertisement

So I gather we don't recognise the fact that Rockwall is a UK rock, and that the territorial waters surrounding Rockwall are UK waters, yet we don't lay claim to the rock or the waters :cool:
    Kinda like saying its not your rock but it is really .

Yup, we only lay claim to it after a few pints. Maybe we could get a few lads off a training programme, give them some scaffolding and get them to paint "Brits Out" in large letters in white paint on it? Some great offers on buckets of white paint now, may be as good a use for it as any.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Glenlivet, Glenfiddich, Glen Goyne, Jura, Talisker, Macallan, Bowmore, Highland Park, Laphroaig, Springbank, Speyburn... impressive first 11 for the Scotch there.

Like most of their whiskies - most of the land in Scotland is owned by foreign investors. The land clearances by the Lairds were of their own people - many of which were forcibly evicted to N. Ireland. And unlike Ireland there were no Land Acts which restored escheated lands to the remaining people who live there ...

And now Scotland is trying to get territorial with Ireland ...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,270 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

We contest that it's international waters because Rockall is uninhabitable and not capable of supporting life.

The UN agrees.

I bet the EU will agree soon enough too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

lawred2 wrote: »

........because Rockall is uninhabitable ........

The Scots should just build a lighthouse-type structure on it - be grand

We contest that it's international waters because Rockall is uninhabitable and not capable of supporting life.

The UN agrees.

War it is so ! 3rd world war over Fockall !

gctest50 wrote: »
    The Scots should just build a lighthouse-type structure on it - be grand
    First to throw a Kaber / Caber (? ) can have it .

• Registered Users Posts: 66,849 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The UN agrees.

The British ignoring the UN when it suits them? Never! :)

We contest that it's international waters because Rockall is uninhabitable and not capable of supporting life. .

It supported people for months. It supports wildlife. What more do you want it to support?

The first people on it, and afaik, the only people on it, were all British.
    It's closer to Scotland than any other country. So I would guess the British will argue it is not in international waters, it is in British waters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Not convinced this is very wise by the Scots - they stand to lose a fair amount of goodwill from this side of the water. I'd be thinking the view of your average Irish citizen is to tell the Scots to p*** off with themselves.

• Advertisement

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Not convinced this is very wise by the Scots - they stand to lose a fair amount of goodwill from this side of the water. I'd be thinking the view of your average Irish citizen is to tell the Scots to p*** off with themselves.

One wonders is the British state going rogue. First they ignore the UN on the Chagos Islands (on behalf of America, of course) and now they ignore them on Rockall.

https://news.sky.com/story/un-tells-britain-to-end-colonial-administration-of-chagos-islands-11726990

One wonders is the British state going rogue. First they ignore the UN on the Chagos Islands (on behalf of America, of course) and now they ignore them on Rockall.

It's the SNP Scottish administration in this instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,270 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

janfebmar wrote: »
    It supported people for months. It supports wildlife. What more do you want it to support?

The first people on it, and afaik, the only people on it, were all British.
    It's closer to Scotland than any other country. So I would guess the British will argue it is not in international waters, it is in British waters.

Well you certainly will anyway.

Are they not British?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

The Scots will stick up for themselves-this could potentially get nasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Maybe give the Spanish and Argies an aul phone call, they're always dealing with island disputes and might have a few recomendations.

The quickest way of course to put off any settlers and reduce property prices would be to air drop in a couple of caravans and upside down wheely bin or five.
    Meanwhile the lads that might be best qualified to climb n' flag the aul rock are heading off to Mali or somewhere random.

Are they not British?

Yes of course, but not be confused the main overarching UK/British administration (the British state) in London. we'll have to wait and see what they say....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Might be an opportunity to turn the Rockall plateau disputed by four countries into a much needed marine reserve and thus benefit all.

http://www.pewtrusts.org/en/research-and-analysis/fact-sheets/2018/10/the-push-to-safeguard-30-percent-of-the-ocean

• Registered Users Posts: 16,272 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Will be interesting to see how Coveney handles things if the Scots up the ante and intercept a fishing vessel.

• Advertisement

Will be interesting to see how Coveney handles things if the Scots up the ante and intercept a fishing vessel.

We intercepted 2 of their Northern Irish fishing boats in Februry off the Louth coast and brought them in to an Irish port. How did thay finish up, were the owners of the boats fined or let off or what?

Advertisement