Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock on, Rockall! (it's back)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

You could emigrate there j since you love all things British. There’s also that part of British Ireland which is about 100 miles away from you.

Like people who loved communism during the Cold War though there’s no desire to live in communist societies, in fact the flow is the other way.

I do not actually love all things British, I try to see the good and bad in everything and to be fair. No danger of me fleeing my country , although a lot of other Irish people have over the decades.

recedite wrote: »
    Its a strange one. RTE deploying fake news, beating the nationalistic drum, stirring up "populism". Why?

One possible explanation is that the Scottish and Irish govts are complicit in this. Trying to engineer a controversy, and RTE are in on it.
    We know that there's a couple of months before the whole Brexit thing kicks in again. When it resumes, it could go either way - hard "No Deal" Brexit or no Brexit at all.

We know Brexit is least popular in Scotland and Ireland.
    We know the Irish strategy has been to thwart Brexit. By using "The Backstop argument" which is largely based on generating fear about possible future instability in NI.

We know that the argument against Brexit that resonated most effectively abroad was the threat of violence breaking out in NI (largely because people weren't in a position to assess how realistic that threat was).

With Brexit teetering on a knife edge, would the fear of Hard Brexit sparking a minor war between Ireland and Scotland be enough to tip the balance? CT or not, watch this space...
    I notice this past while RTE, seeing as you mention them, are beating the nationalist drum (as you call it) with a lot of nationalistic programming. It is quite obvious, but not surprising I suppose considering the amount of northeners in rte now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

janfebmar wrote: »
    I do not actually love all things British, I try to see the good and bad in everything and to be fair. No danger of me fleeing my country , although a lot of other Irish people have over the decades.

lol. You are never pro Irish and always pro British. You clearly are also however, like a lot of the self hating Irish, reluctant to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Unlike the Russian planes, the raf planes scrambled to intercept the Russian planes had their transponders switched on.

Did 'we' ask them 'for help'? As per your original self loathing claim?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

recedite wrote: »
    Its a strange one. RTE deploying fake news, beating the nationalistic drum, stirring up "populism". Why?

One possible explanation is that the Scottish and Irish govts are complicit in this. Trying to engineer a controversy, and RTE are in on it.
    We know that there's a couple of months before the whole Brexit thing kicks in again. When it resumes, it could go either way - hard "No Deal" Brexit or no Brexit at all.

We know Brexit is least popular in Scotland and Ireland.
    We know the Irish strategy has been to thwart Brexit. By using "The Backstop argument" which is largely based on generating fear about possible future instability in NI.

We know that the argument against Brexit that resonated most effectively abroad was the threat of violence breaking out in NI (largely because people weren't in a position to assess how realistic that threat was).

With Brexit teetering on a knife edge, would the fear of Hard Brexit sparking a minor war between Ireland and Scotland be enough to tip the balance? CT or not, watch this space...

So RTE are influencing Brexit by talking about Rockall and this will influence Scotland to be more antagonistic towards Brexit even though they don’t watch RTE and even though the jurisdiction issue will be same whether the U.K. remains in the EU, or Scotland remains in the U.K.

Cool story. It’s all the northerners.

• Advertisement

lol. You are never pro Irish .
    You are confusing Republicanism and Irishness. Big mistake.

lawred2 wrote: »
    Did 'we' ask them 'for help'? As per your original self loathing claim?

The ff goverment made an agreement with them following the 9/11 attacks, it slipped out in the Dail. They do not like talking about it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

You are confusing Republicanism and Irishness. Big mistake.

Nah...hes not mate

Your running away from discussion by screaming republicanism.at anyome who questions yous

_blaaz wrote: »
    Nah...hes not mate

Even though you stalk me from thread to thread, and insist on calling me mate, I am not your mate. You have been called out on it before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

Even though you stalk me from thread to thread, and insist on calling me mate, I am not your mate. You have been called out on it before.

I guess its a different way of running away from discussion than your usual tactic of screaming republican at anyone who questions you

Where have you called anyone out on it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

So RTE are influencing Brexit by talking about Rockall and this will influence Scotland to be more antagonistic towards Brexit even though they don’t watch RTE and even though the jurisdiction issue will be same whether the U.K. remains in the EU, or Scotland remains in the U.K.
    Cool story. It’s all the northerners.
    That's a spectacular misunderstanding of my post. I'm suggesting the possibility of some conspiracy between Scottish administration and RoI at govt level, with RTE participating or being leaked to. NI not involved.

Yeah, maybe its a CT, maybe not. Keep an open mind on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

Do the Scots think they are China or something?? Trying to claim some Rock that’s 240km off their coast. Hell its closer to Donegal than it is to Scotland.

****in idiots, the whole world is gone to ****.

It's closer to Scotland than Ireland. And as far as I know, both Scotland and Ireland have a claim on it.

Ah come on, we did have Hurricanes and Spitfires at one stage.

Apparently we had French Fouga Magister trainer jets, and that one (with ejection seats) was on trial about 1971 and it allegedly collided with the tail of EI-AOM over Wexford. It is said both pilots ejected, but the Viscount went down at Tuskar Rock, and that the Irish government silenced it.

Achasanai wrote: »
    It's closer to Scotland than Ireland.

So, it's a far off uninhabitable island.

To claim such a rock is purely for economic benefit. Should countries claim the artic? Ireland isn't claiming it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

In summary, Brexit has been thwarted so far by the Irish government's deployment of The Backstop. That relies on one thing - the threat or the possibility of violence and instability resuming in NI.

However Brexit has not yet been defeated, it has only been postponed.
    Next October will be crunch time. Both Ireland and Scotland would dearly love to see it buried completely.
    If "tensions" were to build up over the summer between Ireland and Scotland, that would be like a second string for The Backstop bow.

Most people in England have very little grasp of how realistic any of these things are, so they tend to err on the side of caution.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,493 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I laughed at the threats from Scotland. A country who refused their own sovereignty.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

If we can move Statues surely we can move Rockall . Its just a few miles in the wrong place if we are honest .

No need for the Scots to be getting Or-nery about it mind .

Ya’d think they would separate from the Sasanachs before squaring up to us . We won’t take them serious until they do .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

Brandog wrote: »
    The Scots are not independent and therefore cannot set their own policy's much.

They are independent when it comes to this, and they have 3 fishery protection vessels - which don't appear to be armed but I'm not sure.

They are independent when it comes to this, and they have 3 fishery protection vessels - which don't appear to be armed but I'm not sure.

Independent is the wrong word. They have certain responsibilities devolved from London. However, defence is not devolved.

• Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

Give the IRA some naval vessels and we'll see what they try then!

• Advertisement

Balanadan wrote: »

Mostly likely a coast guard search and rescue event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

So, it's a far off uninhabitable island.

To claim such a rock is purely for economic benefit. Should countries claim the artic? Ireland isn't claiming it.

I always assumed that Ireland had claimed it as well. Would agree on it being an uninhabited island that nobody should have a claim to.

Independent is the wrong word. They have certain responsibilities devolved from London. However, defence is not devolved.

This has nothing to do with defence. This is fishery protection, which is devolved

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Balanadan wrote: »

Seeing as Gerry has retired and was never in the IRA , I wonder would Mary Lou be interested in being an admiral.
    Bearing in mind SF appears to be sinking after the recent local elections out colleague who suggested coastguard and search and rescue is probably right.

This has nothing to do with defence. This is fishery protection, which is devolved

And when it escalates reference Cod Wars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Stanford

I feel a Christy Moore song coming on

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Stanford wrote: »
    I feel a Christy Moore song coming on
    They can make me throw up alright !

Seeing as Gerry has retired and was never in the IRA , I wonder would Mary Lou be interested in being an admiral.

The shinners are good at airbrushing, maybe they could airbrush the map a bit (instead of Mary lous face) so that Rockall is closer to Ireland than Britain?

And when it escalates reference Cod Wars.

Then Scotland is bollixed.

• Advertisement

Then Scotland is bollixed.

Considering it's disputed territories it's going to be messy. Scotland may see it as a fisheries issue. Ireland not so much.

Advertisement