Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donegal Asylum Centre Torched

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

AllForIt wrote: »
    Your handy to have around Wibbs! Nailed it.
    I'm useful for something A. Occasionally. :D I can put up shelves too. Though I use screws in that case.

*aside* I like Afghanis, certainly the ones I've met. Sound, family orientated, go out of their way to help if they can. Grafters too.

But yeah this tired old argument always trotted out in this debate about Irish emigres is, well... tired, and just another lazy third hand quip for a complex question and one to make the bearer of it feel better about him or herself. It has near eff all to do with the current crisis that Ireland and wider Europe is facing.

But sure, let's stumble along repeating the same mistakes of every single other European country that has decades of this guff under their collective belts and fast forward twenty years and we'll be having the same furrowed brows and breast beating debates about the "race" and "diversity" problems we imported, just like every single other European country that did the same. Armed Gardai on the street, bollards and restrictions, the second and third generation non "native" Irish who quite understandably and rightfully feel hard done by and out of the loop. AKA the bloody usual in this busted flush bollocks that is "multiculturalism". Hell, only last week, we have had the Guards run anti terrorist exercises in an Irish university. And if and going on elsewhere, when it kicks off for real, will we wonder why? Naw. The genie is already outa the lamp and it wasn't the majority of us who were rubbing the lamp.

I mean it's not as if there aren't lessons to be learned from other nations in plain effing sight over many decades and currently, but apparently we'll ignore that in favour of platitudes and misplaced emotionals. You couldn't make this shite up.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭wassie

tretorn wrote: »
    I am about as interested in black people as they are in me, a white person.

I find black people very loud and their children unruly.

Exactly, I nearly went deaf when President Obama's daughter started shouting at the College Green in 2011.
    The likelihood is they will impregnate as many Irish native women as possible and the women they mate with will have as little prospects as the economic migrants, intelligent capable Irish women are independent no wont hook up unemployed educated black men.

Yes - thats a very good point. How laughable the very idea that an immigrant could come to this country and impregnate an Irish native, only for that unruly offspring to become the leader of this country!
    This will mean big increases in child benefit and unruly gangs of teenagers in fifteen years time, I am thinking we only need to look to Paris and Malmo and certain areas of Brussels to know whats in store.

In fairness, I too am extremely worried that they could end up toppling the likes of the Kinahans or the Hutches and destabilise the natural order of crime gangs in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod- Locked for a few minutes. Clean up need from a few rereg trolls that is hard to do when the thread is live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod-Reopened. Think I got all them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Wibbs wrote: »
    I'm useful for something A. Occasionally. :D I can put up shelves too. Though I use screws in that case.

*aside* I like Afghanis, certainly the ones I've met. Sound, family orientated, go out of their way to help if they can. Grafters too.

But yeah this tired old argument always trotted out in this debate about Irish emigres is, well... tired, and just another lazy third hand quip for a complex question and one to make the bearer of it feel better about him or herself. It has near eff all to do with the current crisis that Ireland and wider Europe is facing.

But sure, let's stumble along repeating the same mistakes of every single other European country that has decades of this guff under their collective belts and fast forward twenty years and we'll be having the same furrowed brows and breast beating debates about the "race" and "diversity" problems we imported, just like every single other European country that did the same. Armed Gardai on the street, bollards and restrictions, the second and third generation non "native" Irish who quite understandably and rightfully feel hard done by and out of the loop. AKA the bloody usual in this busted flush bollocks that is "multiculturalism". Hell, only last week, we have had the Guards run anti terrorist exercises in an Irish university. And if and going on elsewhere, when it kicks off for real, will we wonder why? Naw. The genie is already outa the lamp and it wasn't the majority of us who were rubbing the lamp.

I mean it's not as if there aren't lessons to be learned from other nations in plain effing sight over many decades and currently, but apparently we'll ignore that in favour of platitudes and misplaced emotionals. You couldn't make this shite up.

The comparisons of Ireland and America have always annoyed me as the two countries are nothing alike, in many, many ways, but probably most important in this case, is size.

I've always said that small numbers of immigrants can be integrated, while large numbers tend to lead to ghettoization. Ghettos are bad for everyone. For refugees, their last state is often worse than their first (as they now find themselves in a country with high costs of living, while being isolated from the aspects which give that country a nominal high development index). For the country it is of no benefit, because you end up with multiple generations of people who become isolated from the country they are in, able to contribute little to the economy, tend to have high rates of crime, and are ultimately quite dissatisfied.

Already with the situation with direct provision we see a system that is struggling to cope. Is this down to poor public management? Perhaps. But regardless of the cause, the outcome is clear to see. We do not have the current capacity to process large numbers of people from a bureaucratic point of view, nor do we have the material means to adequately provide for them.

A hotel is nothing more than emergency accommodation: indeed, many of our homeless are housed in hotels for this reason.

I struggle to understand how the government intends to provide for people with vastly different cultures from Ireland, with little English, in very rural areas. This sort of social integration requires far more than hand waving from a County Councillor .

Seeing that we clearly have limited capacities (in many different respects) we should probably be quite choosy about who we grant asylum to. Afghans and Syrians would be among the most deserving, on the grounds they are coming from what are, for the moment, still active war zones, but these people will also require more care.

I also must admit that the shopping list aspect probably requires more scrutiny than most people are willing to give it. I find it difficult to square the idea of someone being a genuine refugee with having a certain standard of living below which they would not be willing to accept. By this I mean that most refugees would not accept, for instance Bulgaria, as a home, as it would not reach this minimum requirement. I find it really, really hard not to be deeply cynical about this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

T

Already with the situation with direct provision we see a system that is struggling to cope. Is this down to poor public management? Perhaps. But regardless of the cause, the outcome is clear to see. We do not have the current capacity to process large numbers of people from a bureaucratic point of view, nor do we have the material means to adequately provide for them.

We are struggling to cope as thousands of illegal AS are arriving.

We have accepted 4,000 genuine refugees, fair enough.

But thousands of illegal, bogus AS are also arriving.

We should be dealing with them in the airports, and processing them within 1 week in the airport.

Allowing them appeal and appeal for years is crazy.

https://www.esri.ie/pubs/RS72.pdf

What's worse, many male Asian illegal immigrants were and are involved in thousands of sham marriages.

https://www.google.ie/search?q=operation+vantage&rlz=1C1CHBF_enIE787IE787&oq=Operation+vantage&aqs=chrome.0.0j69i60j0l4.6711j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭mammajamma

This video appears to be the only recording of the townhall meeting. I added it to the OP too. These people have no clue what they are doing at all, and the local residents rightly call them out on it. To save time, just skip to the 7 minute mark, you'll only be missing the "pitch", ie: wars are naughty, therefore we owe people etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

I know someone from Ballaghaderreen and he used to call it Ballin a bad dream.

Have these mainly Economic Migrants not suffered enough already without sending them there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095bfab74936506d39771a3064

No chance the fire was caused by an electrical fault?

Confirmed as arson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Small rural communities can offer far more to these incomers than large anonymous cities in ways that matter and are likely to see increased facilities.

Good to see local folk preparing to welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Samuel Vimes

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/locals-rally-to-support-asylum-seekers-after-arson-at-hotel-due-to-house-them-37564838.html

Well done to the locals who gathered to show their support and from such a broad spectrum of local society.

I hope the Hotel owner, who was injured in the attack makes a speedy recovery in hospital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/locals-rally-to-support-asylum-seekers-after-arson-at-hotel-due-to-house-them-37564838.html

Well done to the locals who gathered to show their support and from such a broad spectrum of local society.

I hope the Hotel owner, who was injured in the attack makes a speedy recovery in hospital.
    Hopefully the lowlife that caused this is caught speedily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Graces7 wrote: »
    Small rural communities can offer far more to these incomers than large anonymous cities in ways that matter and are likely to see increased facilities.

The government puts them in rural areas so as to not affect the crime stats in the cities....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,847 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

twinytwo wrote: »
    The government puts them in rural areas so as to not affect the crime stats in the cities....

I think it’s more like the govt require spaces ASAP so consider any hotel that contacts them to offer accommodation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭anotherfinemess

Just to put it into perspective for someone like you and others who would like us to flood the country with as many immigrants as care to come. Last week it was leaked from someone who worked within the hse that operations for cancer patients were being postponed as to keep beds available for a and e departments as to not bring to light the drastic shortage of beds and the hospital crisis. Is it not time the government started to look after there own people first. And the health service is only one of a number of services that are not adequate for the population we have now.

I would not support a migrant centre in my small rural town, but I would welcome a centre for homeless Irish people. Many Irish people are homeless mainly due to past disasterous government actions taken without the people's permission, having bowed to pressure from the likes of Merkel. I suppose Bridgestock Ltd shareholders will be happy their political friends are looking after them though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

worded wrote: »

Have these mainly Economic Migrants not suffered enough already without sending them there?

Indeed.

People in rural parts view those from three towns away as alien, never mind refugees from the mid east and africa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,587 ✭✭✭baldbear

Stop moving these poor asylum seekers to kips like Longford, Moville, Rooskey, ballaghadereen where there is nothing for them.

I'm from Longford and it has become a dumping ground. It has a high number of travellers & high rate of social welfare recipients.

Adding 77 to Longford makes no sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

I wonder if the owner of the grand hotel in Wicklow is having any regrets about his decision to give 2 fingers to the people of the town in the manner in which he did.

I don’t condone arson attacks or endangering lives but if the government are going to continue to ignore the citizens of this country and in particular the residents of these small communities, then people will find other means to put a stop to it.

Doesn’t make it right. It’s just the reality..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭uptherebels

Graces7 wrote: »

And what would these increased offerings be?
    The ones that matter?
    Access to jobs? Education? Legal services? Visible police presence? Health care? Transportation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Is there any information being given to rural communities about the demographics of refugees or migrants they will receive? There is a big difference between family groups being housed into hotels in rural areas and large groups of single guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

I would not support a migrant centre in my small rural town, but I would welcome a centre for homeless Irish people. Many Irish people are homeless mainly due to past disasterous government actions taken without the people's permission, having bowed to pressure from the likes of Merkel. I suppose Bridgestock Ltd shareholders will be happy their political friends are looking after them though

Haha. You would welcome a center for the Irish homeless over the immigrants. Would you oppose to a drug rehabilitation clinic in your little town too.

Hope not as it may be needed. unless you meant only families homeless living in hotels. There are a vast amount of drug related homeless on the streets. Homeless because never mind the government, their own families have given up being robbed or dealing with the police visits and court letters.

Your thoughts are as ill planned out as these migrant centres being dumped in the middle of nowhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

These asylum people are as much Donegal men as Donegal men.
    I know this because Sean O Rourke on RTE told me so.

So get over it bigots!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭wyf437gn6btzue

without condoning a criminal act, it wasnt torched for nothing was it? all I can see in news articles are the sect of locals who are those want an asylum centre there. No one seems to want to listen to the others who have genuine concerns given the negative media coverage of what some immigrants have been getting up to in germany and france.

They are importing people with totally different moral, ethical and religious values and plonking them in a rural part of Ireland where the likelihood of them integrating is next to none (I don`t think Mohammad bakalari or Undoko Adefolake are going to be making a guest appearance for Moville GAA anytime soon). Pile that with the fact that work for a weak english speaker in those parts is also very unlikely so they will have to be relocated again once they are granted asylum. Then the likelihood of them working at all after that is probably next to nothing given the population of them that`s unemployed in the town I live in.

Its a whole big sh*tshow orchestrated by people who really don`t care about refugees or the real opinions of the local people who they are going to be plonked beside, as long as its as far away from south Dublin as possible all is good as far as they are concerned.

The only upside for Moville is that a post office is guaranteed for the next 25-30 years :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

without condoning a criminal act, it wasnt torched for nothing was it? all I can see in news articles are the sect of locals who are those want an asylum centre there. No one seems to want to listen to the others who have genuine concerns given the negative media coverage of what some immigrants have been getting up to in germany and france.

They are importing people with totally different moral, ethical and religious values and plonking them in a rural part of Ireland where the likelihood of them integrating is next to none (I don`t think Mohammad bakalari or Undoko Adefolake are going to be making a guest appearance for Moville GAA anytime soon). Pile that with the fact that work for a weak english speaker in those parts is also very unlikely so they will have to be relocated again once they are granted asylum. Then the likelihood of them working at all after that is probably next to nothing given the population of them that`s unemployed in the town I live in.

Its a whole big sh*tshow orchestrated by people who really don`t care about refugees or the real opinions of the local people who they are going to be plonked beside, as long as its as far away from south Dublin as possible all is good as far as they are concerned.

The only upside for Moville is that a post office is guaranteed for the next 25-30 years :D

You’d be surprised. I looked out my window during the Summer and seen 2 young lads of African decent with hurls knocking a sliotar to each other across the green.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Rennaws wrote: »
    I wonder if the owner of the grand hotel in Wicklow is having any regrets about his decision to give 2 fingers to the people of the town in the manner in which he did.

I think we can safely assume that his motivation was to turn a loss making business into a profit making business. As there is nothing to suggest that this has changed why would he regret it? Unless you think he would be worried about the threat of a large insurance payout due to an arson attack? It’s win win for the owner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

That's easy. Migrant Centre's have been proven all over Europe to have a disastrous effect to towns and villages. What this person or persons have done, is attempt to stop the location plan through all means necessary. Some may say it's illegal, some may say that the Sentinel Islanders killing that guy was illegal. Is defending your homeland illegal? Technically, legally, probably but it's the people that are trying to replace us that are setting the laws. Was the 1916 Rising illegal? Yes. But it was the people who didn't want a rebellion and were trying to replace us that were setting the laws.

It's the great story of our time. The invasion of Europe. Are we going to be the generation that says "we wanted to defend out homeland but there were rules Against it and some people would have called us names, so we didn't bother".

Moreover, there is a fat irony in the cries of 'nazis' by proponents of these centres against those who oppose wholesale fraud by illegals falsely claiming asylum.

They forget the nazis were the ones illegally going into other countries, failing to respect borders and sovereignty. and that was the very problem!

Maybe a look in the mirror mighn't go astray for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,314 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

mammajamma wrote: »
    "racism!"

With no allusion to facts of the situation whatsoever.

Are you actually saying that the asshole who torched a refugee centre, with the owner and his daughter inside, isn't a racist?
    Burning down the building was wrong and who ever did it deserves to be punished.

Contrats. And I'm not being sarcastic, I mean it. It's amazing how few people have condemned this. There seems to be an opinion amongst many that it was a perfectly rational and expected thing to do.

Let's just sum this up. Some racist fcuker (and yes they were racist) decided to torch a building with people inside it. Yet, here we are are pages on and there's been remarkably few people who are condemning it. Rather they are explaining that it's a natural reaction.

The guy who did this, and anyone who think he was right to do it, are complete scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Grayson wrote: »
    Are you actually saying that the asshole who torched a refugee centre, with the owner and his daughter inside, isn't a racist?

Contrats. And I'm not being sarcastic, I mean it. It's amazing how few people have condemned this. There seems to be an opinion amongst many that it was a perfectly rational and expected thing to do.

Let's just sum this up. Some racist fcuker (and yes they were racist) decided to torch a building with people inside it. Yet, here we are are pages on and there's been remarkably few people who are condemning it. Rather they are explaining that it's a natural reaction.

The guy who did this, and anyone who think he was right to do it, are complete scum.

I think the default setting is to condemn it. I don’t see why people are expected to type it out.

topper75 wrote: »
    Moreover, there is a fat irony in the cries of 'nazis' by proponents of these centres against those who oppose wholesale fraud by illegals falsely claiming asylum.

They forget the nazis were the ones illegally going into other countries, failing to respect borders and sovereignty. and that was the very problem!

Maybe a look in the mirror mighn't go astray for them.

So in your world, a refugee is somehow equivalent to a nazi. Or is it someone who doesn't hate refugees who is the nazi?

How messed up is your logic that you manage to come to that conclusion. It seriously takes some imagination and leaps in logic to come to that conclusion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Zorya wrote: »
    Is there any information being given to rural communities about the demographics of refugees or migrants they will receive? There is a big difference between family groups being housed into hotels in rural areas and large groups of single guys.

Given that the majority are single men one would presume that those have to go somewhere.

One thing I don't hey is why this has become a hot button issue now and Dept Justice are greatly expanding services. Have we suddenly seen an uptick in asylum applications? If so is this related to changes in the rules?

I am open to correction, but was obtaining indefinite leave to remain made easier last year? I remember reading something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Operation Re-Education is now in flow. The media are running wild with this "Inisowen Together" group, as they hand pick coherent migrants to speak and gain media attention for everyone of their meetings. A group that nobody knew existed until yesterday. But now they are media darlings, trailblazers, brave.

Now the media will hand pick residents for interviews who are desperate for Diversity in their town.

In 1 weeks time, there will be videos of the towns folk singing kumbaya and leading the resistance against Trump.

Everybody has been Re-Educated

As stated below, it's a given that most people condemn this..

But ignoring the reasons as to why it happens serves nobody..

Least of all our new economic migrant friends..

2011 wrote: »
    I think we can safely assume that his motivation was to turn a loss making business into a profit making business. As there is nothing to suggest that this has changed why would he regret it? Unless you think he would be worried about the threat of a large insurance payout due to an arson attack? It’s win win for the owner.

We know his motivation was profit but he won’t make much profit from the charred embers of a burnt out hotel and I don’t fancy his chances insuring against it happening in the future either..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

I agree that torching the place was wrong. And they should be brought to justice.
    However from past experience, you can't rely on the Indo to give a balanced view of the situation. The local counselor and the schoolteacher have organised a "Failte" group, but how do the majority of people in the town really feel?
    Are there enough resources in the area to cater for these migrants? What is the schooling situation like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

I agree that torching the place was wrong. And they should be brought to justice.
    However from past experience, you can't rely on the Indo to give a balanced view of the situation. The local counselor and the schoolteacher have organised a "Failte" group, but how do the majority of people in the town really feel?
    Are there enough resources in the area to cater for these migrants? What is the schooling situation like?

We are being told by the liberals that:
    "if people have to queue a bit longer at the doctor's surgery or make room in the classrooms for more children, it's a small price to pay compared to what the people seeking asylum have gone through."
    What is not mentioned is how the people who go to work in the morning will have to pay for these people seeking asylum and the multitudes of their family members who will show up when the leave to remain has been exhausted over the years and they are allowed to stay due to "humanitarian" grounds.

What is amazing is the claim by Irish media/liberals is that 100% of asylum claims are legitimate, instead of the reality that the vast majority are bogus.
    If a worker asks a question about the legitimacy and corresponding cost of an asylum claim, then he/she is a racist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Operation Re-Education is now in flow. The media are running wild with this "Inisowen Together" group, as they hand pick coherent migrants to speak and gain media attention for everyone of their meetings. A group that nobody knew existed until yesterday. But now they are media darlings, trailblazers, brave.

Now the media will hand pick residents for interviews who are desperate for Diversity in their town.

In 1 weeks time, there will be videos of the towns folk singing kumbaya and leading the resistance against Trump.

don't drink the Kool-Aid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

baldbear wrote: »
    Stop moving these poor asylum seekers to kips like Longford, Moville, Rooskey, ballaghadereen where there is nothing for them.

I'm from Longford and it has become a dumping ground. It has a high number of travellers & high rate of social welfare recipients.

Adding 77 to Longford makes no sense.

Is Moville a kip? Spent sometime there and found it quiet nice.

Who knows what way this will pan out. You can look to the past for clues. High handed government imposing change and splitting the community, complete with direct action has more than an echo of similarly to the "Battle of Baltinglass" in the 1950s.

In a post Casey Ireland, you'll see FF shift to capture those unhappy about this. The Brexit bonhomie at the moment won't last, this will be a new year election issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I know. There’s two separate issues here.

1) The placing of asylum seekers in small towns. That deserves discussion. I don’t judge people who have misgivings.

2) That an arson attack was carried out. Whoever did that is either a scumbag or has mental health issues. Either way, it can’t be rationalised as an understandable action. Nope, sorry, arson is never justified.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Rennaws wrote: »
    We know his motivation was profit but he won’t make much profit from the charred embers of a burnt out hotel

That’s what insurance is for.
    and I don’t fancy his chances insuring against it happening in the future either..

Insurance policy would have been in place altready. All the recent events will do at worst is increase the costs for policy renewal due to a change in risk profile in which case the tab will be picked up by the tax payer. So as I said win win for the owner.

• Advertisement

Happy4all wrote: »
    Is Moville a kip? Spent sometime there and found it quiet nice.

I spent 4 months in greencastle years ago and I found the whole area to be lovely.

That’s what insurance is for.

Insurance policy would have been in place altready. All the recent events will do at worst is increase the costs for policy renewal due to a change in risk profile in which case the tab will be picked up by the tax payer. So as I said win win for the owner.
    he either goes ahead and risks this happening again or reverts to his old business as hotelier. Hotels that don't have the support of the local community don't survive generally.

I suspect the attackers will have won this, but the community will have to live with the burnt out hotel to remind themselves of what they've done.

One would wonder if the majority of these open-the-doors-to-the-needy-of-the-world residents actually work. Looking at photos/news reports of the welcoming residents, the demographic looks similar. You can also see it on threads like this, where the vast majority of posters demanding that our taxes and land are given to people from Albania, Georgia, Pakistan, Nigeria etc. who want to avail of the generous welfare services that exist in Ireland, are also on welfare, or are "professional" students, or have some skin in the game e.g. work for NGOs or are aligned with liberal/leftist political parties.

Kivaro wrote: »
    One would wonder if the majority of these open-the-doors-to-the-needy-of-the-world residents actually work. Looking at photos/news reports of the welcoming residents, the demographic looks similar. You can also see it on threads like this, where the vast majority of posters demanding that our taxes and land are given to people from Albania, Georgia, Pakistan, Nigeria etc. who want to avail of the generous welfare services that exist in Ireland, are also on welfare, or are "professional" students, or have some skin in the game e.g. work for NGOs or are aligned with liberal/leftist political parties.

There's a conspiracy theory. Absolutely zero evidence to support it but sure, go ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Kivaro wrote: »
    We are being told by the liberals that:
    "if people have to queue a bit longer at the doctor's surgery or make room in the classrooms for more children, it's a small price to pay compared to what the people seeking asylum have gone through."
    What is not mentioned is how the people who go to work in the morning will have to pay for these people seeking asylum and the multitudes of their family members who will show up when the leave to remain has been exhausted over the years and they are allowed to stay due to "humanitarian" grounds.

What is amazing is the claim by Irish media/liberals is that 100% of asylum claims are legitimate, instead of the reality that the vast majority are bogus.
    If a worker asks a question about the legitimacy and corresponding cost of an asylum claim, then he/she is a racist.

Where are all the people who were queuing up to tell Joe Duffy that they had spare rooms and would love to take in some Syrian refugees?
    Where were they when Irish travellers were looking for accommodation?

Edgware wrote: »
    Where are all the people who were queuing up to tell Joe Duffy that they had spare rooms and would love to take in some Syrian refugees?
    Where were they when Irish travellers were looking for accommodation?

My mum volunteered. I should be buying a house in the next year or two and I have no problem volunteering then. (I currently have a tiny one roomed apt that honestly would have difficulty hosting a hamster so it's just not possible now).

There's an idea that people aren't altruistic. Some people seem to think that the idea that someone would house a refugee is crazy. It's not. there are loads of kind hearted people who do go well out of their way to help people.

There's a conspiracy theory. Absolutely zero evidence to support it but sure, go ahead.

I have yet to meet an Irish man or woman, who gets up early and commutes to a job where after a long week of work they are just about able to pay for the mortgage/rent/child care costs/healthcare/insurance/household bills etc., and doesn't mind if a portion of the taxes that they pay will be used to support Nigerian or Algerian welfare tourists (i.e. skipped other countries to get to our overly generous welfare state).
    Those Irish people I've met who espouse supporting the world's needy by bringing them to Ireland, have never worked real jobs or just do not work.

We don't know increased insurance costs will be picked up by the tax payer but to be fair it wouldn't surprise me..
    My mum volunteered. I should be buying a house in the next year or two and I have no problem volunteering then. (I currently have a tiny one roomed apt that honestly would have difficulty hosting a hamster so it's just not possible now).

You've just lost any credibility you had with this post imo.

Did your mum actually take someone in ?

There's an idea that people aren't altruistic. Some people seem to think that the idea that someone would house a refugee is crazy. It's not. there are loads of kind hearted people who do go well out of their way to help people.
    I agree that they're are. But there are far more people who will profess altruism but not follow up, or retract quietly when the reality hits.

To be honest, the high handed approach of the dept of Justice is doing this process no favours. Really, a direct provision centre should require planning permission minimum and that hotels cant simply be overnight changed to them. As part of the planning process, a community impact assessment should be carried out, which looks at education, healthcare, social, commercial and transport infrastructure in the community in which these are placed. It would give the community an outlet to voice their concerns.

I mean, if we now need planning to Airbnb, planning should be required for these facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭22michael44

worded wrote: »

it must be a real backwater if that's the best creative nickname a person from there can come up with.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement