Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Domestic solar PV quotes 2018

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

kceire wrote: »
    Generally they don’t ask or get involved in planning compliance issues.

Just as a follow up to my post, Electric Ireland will seek proof of planning permission or planning exemption for larger PV arrays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Just as a follow up to my post, Electric Ireland will seek proof of planning permission or planning exemption for larger PV arrays.

I havent asked yet but if installing on sheds at back of house I guess you dont require planning?

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I havent asked yet but if installing on sheds at back of house I guess you dont require planning?

I probably should clarify but the 12 Sq. M rule still applies as far as I know.

Latest quote....

4.2kW system
    4.8kWp battery system
    3.7 invertor

Shade over 6k after grants and including VAT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Latest quote....

4.2kW system
    4.8kWp battery system
    3.7 invertor

My latest quotes

4.5kwp solar
    5kw battery
    5kw hybrid inverter
    Eddi water diverter
    Ber rating
    Essential load installation (select a number of circuits to run during power outage)

7k Inc vat after grant.

Additional 4 panels to bring it up to near 5.8kw is 1,000 extra, so 8k in total cost to me.

Took the plunge for the 5.8kw system and have a 1k deposit down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Latest quote....

4.2kW system
    4.8kWp battery system
    3.7 invertor

Not bad. Who with?

I am just wondering.

If you go with Eddie then really adding a Zappi as well is a bit of a waste? overkill?

KCross wrote: »
    Not bad. Who with?

Can we put company names up here?

I am just wondering.

If you go with Eddie then really adding a Zappi as well is a bit of a waste? overkill?

You will essentially have 3 stores then.
    1. Battery
    2. Hot water tank
    3. The car

On good days, you should fill the battery, heat all the water and possible get a bit of charge into the car, but the car is the non constant here as it will be in and out etc

I wouldn’t get the zappi personally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

My latest quotes

4.5kwp solar
    5kw battery
    5kw hybrid inverter
    Eddi water diverter
    Ber rating
    Essential load installation (select a number of circuits to run during power outage)

7k Inc vat after grant.

Additional 4 panels to bring it up to near 5.8kw is 1,000 extra, so 8k in total cost to me.

I believe I'm after taking the plunge with the same company

My system:

10 x 320w panels (3.2kw) - All the roof will take unfortunately
    5kwh battery
    3.6kw hybrid inverter
    EDDI
    BER
    Essential load installation

€6.8k after grant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,708 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Latest quote....

4.2kW system
    4.8kWp battery system
    3.7 invertor

That's no good. You need a hybrid inverter and a 5kW one at that. That would bring your quote over 7k and that's not particularly cheap.
    My latest quotes

4.5kwp solar
    5kw battery
    5kw hybrid inverter
    Eddi water diverter
    Ber rating

7k Inc vat after grant.

The best quote so far in this thread by a long shot and you're rightly going ahead. That's some system you are getting. I'm jealous. What genius told you to negotiate the 4 extra panels down to a grand? You owe him a pint! :p

If you don't yet have an EV, fine. Once you get one, install a Zappi as your charger. If you do have an EV I would ask the installer to install one. You can sell your existing EVSE for decent money.

unkel wrote: »
    That's no good. You need a hybrid inverter and a 5kW one at that. That would bring your quote over 7k and that's not particularly cheap.

The best quote so far in this thread by a long shot and you're rightly going ahead. That's some system you are getting. I'm jealous. What genius told you to negotiate the 4 extra panels down to a grand? You owe him a pint! :p

If you don't yet have an EV, fine. Once you get one, install a Zappi as your charger. If you do have an EV I would ask the installer to install one. You can sell your existing EVSE for decent money.

Phew !!!!

Thanks for the advice, I do owe you a pint .I think I did get a good deal in the end, the company seems quite good, and I spoke to a reference customer as well before taking the plunge. Early October install date by the looks of it.

You did get a good deal. And the deal is good for the installer company too, thanks to the very generous subsidies. Such a shame we can't name companies here as your installer is obviously making money, but not ripping you off.

And do you know what? I'm usually one of the stronger voices on this forum against immersion diversion. But with your 6kwp system installed price after subsidies (and no FIT) it makes more sense to go PV hot water heating than solar thermal hot water heating. There. I said it. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Can we put company names up here?

We can't unless the charter can be changed but putting the county would be beneficial to everyone.

You did get a good deal. And the deal is good for the installer company too, thanks to the very generous subsidies. Such a shame we can't name companies here as your installer is obviously making money, but not ripping you off.

And do you know what? I'm usually one of the stronger voices on this forum against immersion diversion. But with your 6kwp system installed price after subsidies (and no FIT) it makes more sense to go PV hot water heating than solar thermal hot water heating. There. I said it. :eek:

His hot water tank will be full by 10am!
    Mine is full by mid day on good sunny days. Everything after that can fill his battery for evening use!

But if it includes a battery it has to include a hybrid inverter, how could it be anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭gareth12121

My latest quotes

4.5kwp solar
    5kw battery
    5kw hybrid inverter
    Eddi water diverter
    Ber rating

7k Inc vat after grant.

hi wexfordman2, could i get the name of the company that gsve you this quote via pm. would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭denismc

I know your are not allowed to name companies on here but maybe if you gave their location so people could do a bit of googling. It's not like every town has PV installers.

denismc wrote: »
    I know your are not allowed to name companies on here but maybe if you gave their location so people could do a bit of googling. It's not like every town has PV installers.

Yeah, but you don't always use a local installer, my quote is not even in the same province

Yeah, but you don't always use a local installer, my quote is not even in the same province

What county is it from?

• Advertisement

What county is it from?

Dublin, but I live in cork.

To be honest, most of the quotes I got were from national suppliers, I got quotes from dublin, cork and I think Midlands as well.

One company were re sellers, so they quote you, and then have regional installation partners

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

His hot water tank will be full by 10am!
    Mine is full by mid day on good sunny days. Everything after that can fill his battery for evening use!

Lets be realistic...one day like today and you will do a cold shower based on the PVs ...

460167.jpg

Apart of the 4 big months over a good summer,i don't really see the excitment for a battery return in less than few decades. The grant will make a difference at purchase time but lets see the first installations report spread over 12 months.

My latest quotes

4.5kwp solar
    5kw battery
    5kw hybrid inverter
    Eddi water diverter
    Ber rating

7k Inc vat after grant.

Sorry if you posted already but how much electricity do you use every year?

Did you monitor? 5.8kw is a lot of solar......

Sorry if you posted already but how much electricity do you use every year?

Did you monitor? 5.8kw is a lot of solar......

Average monthly bill is 130pm Inc standing charges and pso etc.

My idle power is about 400w, and the house is occupied during the day.

Don't have an ev yet, but considering it over the next few years so thinking that might work in my favoir over the longer term. Was initially going for 4.5kwp, but the extra was only 1k so figured in the long run it would be worth getting.

Average monthly bill is 130pm Inc standing charges and pso etc.

My idle power is about 400w, and the house is occupied during the day.

Don't have an ev yet, but considering it over the next few years so thinking that might work in my favoir over the longer term. Was initially going for 4.5kwp, but the extra was only 1k so figured in the long run it would be worth getting.

Feck I am using a lot more and I was going to dip my toe in my just buying 1kW and seeing how it goes.....

You are going the whole hog :p:p:p:p:p:p

I have electric car and was planning on swapping to 2 :-)

What term are you expecting pay back?

Of course if you dont mind me asking

Feck I am using a lot more and I was going to dip my toe in my just buying 1kW and seeing how it goes.....

You are going the whole hog :p:p:p:p:p:p

I have electric car and was planning on swapping to 2 :-)

What term are you expecting pay back?

Of course if you dont mind me asking

Installer reckoned 5 to 6 years, but I can't see that. If it knocks a grand a year off my water heating and electricity bill, I will be dining very well, and an 8 year payback, but prob nearer ten. I'm ok with that, I have a few bob sitting in a savings account making feck all interest, so a better investment than leaving it sit.

Installer reckoned 5 to 6 years, but I can't see that. If it knocks a grand a year off my water heating and electricity bill, I will be dining very well, and an 8 year payback, but prob nearer ten. I'm ok with that, I have a few bob sitting in a savings account making feck all interest, so a better investment than leaving it sit.

I got a quote from the same company as you based on what is included....

They said I would see 1800-2200 per year on electricity.....that was for 6kW of Solar...

5.4kW was 1600-1800

With 4.8kW it was 1400-1600

All with 5kWh battery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Phew !!!!

Thanks for the advice, I do owe you a pint .I think I did get a good deal in the end, the company seems quite good, and I spoke to a reference customer as well before taking the plunge. Early October install date by the looks of it.

Can u p m me contact

I may have missed it but how many panels did you get.

• Advertisement

18 panels times 320W = 5760wp
    Installer reckoned 5 to 6 years, but I can't see that. If it knocks a grand a year off my water heating and electricity bill

5-6 years LOL! I can't see it knocking anywhere near a grand of your bill either. But like you say, it will pay for itself at some point no matter what. And you will get an EV at some point, and we might get a FIT, and electricity might become more expensive and batteries will get cheaper, you can add more later. And like you said, your money on your savings account it doing nothing for you

If I had the space and had no solar yet, your system is exactly what I would have gone for too (perhaps shaving a grand off your quote by going just a 2.4kWh battery)

You should do up your own thread (with pictures) when they are installing and keep us updated :)

18 for 8k

18 panels times 320W = 5760wp

5-6 years LOL! I can't see it knocking anywhere near a grand of your bill either. But like you say, it will pay for itself at some point no matter what. And you will get an EV at some point, and we might get a FIT, and electricity might become more expensive and batteries will get cheaper, you can add more later. And like you said, your money on your savings account it doing nothing for you

If I had the space and had no solar yet, your system is exactly what I would have gone for too (perhaps shaving a grand off your quote by going just a 2.4kWh battery)

You should do up your own thread (with pictures) when they are installing and keep us updated :)

Will do

rolion wrote: »
    Lets be realistic...one day like today and you will do a cold shower based on the PVs ...

460167.jpg

Apart of the 4 big months over a good summer,i don't really see the excitment for a battery return in less than few decades. The grant will make a difference at purchase time but lets see the first installations report spread over 12 months.

Don’t understand this comment. My panels filled the water tank through the divertor yesterday and again today.

11.6kwh generated yesterday.
    11.8kwh generated today so far.

https://hub.blanchardstowncu.ie/hesl/#learn

Anyone see this, looks like a few credit unions are doing it?

From what I can see they supply everything including the contractor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭conor_mc

https://hub.blanchardstowncu.ie/hesl/#learn

Anyone see this, looks like a few credit unions are doing it?

From what I can see they supply everything including the contractor?

What’s the 35% grant they’re referring to? I can only see the usual fixed amount grants on the SEAI website - have I missed something???

• Advertisement

conor_mc wrote: »
    What’s the 35% grant they’re referring to? I can only see the usual fixed amount grants on the SEAI website - have I missed something???

No idea.....I have submitted to see what they come back with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭E30i

Will do

Hi can you PM me the name of the company too please. I'm only starting to look and it sounds like you have set the bar at a good starting (or finishing) point.

Thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,650 ✭✭✭✭ted1

My latest quotes

4.5kwp solar
    5kw battery
    5kw hybrid inverter
    Eddi water diverter
    Ber rating

7k Inc vat after grant.

Can you claim additionally on the hri? Reduce the cost further

ted1 wrote: »

No, I don't think so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

ted1 wrote: »

only like a 1/3 of the tax, one of the quotes i looked for the chap worked it out,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭niallers1

You will not get anything back on HRI if you apply for solar pv grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭lovehathi

Hi all

Just wondering can you not use electrical radiators in morning, like 1kw or 2kw on the panel when not using electricity else were to heat one room. Saving gas and keeping room hot all day, almost free?

thanks

lovehathi wrote: »
    Hi all

Just wondering can you not use electrical radiators in morning, like 1kw or 2kw on the panel when not using electricity else were to heat one room. Saving gas and keeping room hot all day, almost free?

thanks

Sure. If you want the room to be freezing when you get up at 6 or 7 AM and the room not to be warm until at least 10AM on a sunny day? :)

Not a quote but has anyone here had to apply for planning for a bigger system. What was the process?
    Moving into our new house tomorrow and want to get the ball rolling.

Not a quote but has anyone here had to apply for planning for a bigger system. What was the process?
    Moving into our new house tomorrow and want to get the ball rolling.

That will be different for every council.
    I have heard that some councils allow you to skip full planning and just ask for an exemption and that they are granted as they know the guidelines are ridiculous.... but thats not in every council.

Also, when you say "new house"... is that new to you or actually new?
    FYI... The SEAI Solar PV grant only applies to houses built on or before 2011

I have heard that some councils allow you to skip full planning and just ask for an exemption and that they are granted as they know the guidelines are ridiculous.... but thats not in every council.

Surely that can't be right? Either you get planning permission, or you don't. Or are you suggesting some councils give you the nod-nod-wink-wink and tell you shure it'll be grand, no one will enforce it, you don't need PP?

Surely that can't be right? Either you get planning permission, or you don't. Or are you suggesting some councils give you the nod-nod-wink-wink and tell you shure it'll be grand, no one will enforce it, you don't need PP?

I havent done it myself but apparently you can submit an "exemption request" and they will grant it. Its not full planning. I dont know exactly what the request looks like but it is on paper apparently, so not a nod-nod-wink-wink thing.

Cool, never heard of that, might come in handy for lots of people here who want a bit more than a 2kwp array :)

@kceire - your area - any chance you can check out / confirm?

I havent done it myself but apparently you can submit an "exemption request" and they will grant it. Its not full planning. I dont know exactly what the request looks like but it is on paper apparently, so not a nod-nod-wink-wink thing.

I rang Meath Co Co and got to the planning office

I asked about exemption and they read over the PDF file. The only exemption is if it is below the space required....I told him my roof space was huge, he checked google maps, agreed it was and that I was less than 50% but still as the document did not say I could get exemption with less than 50% of roof space I would need to go to planning

He did say that they would approve no problem but I would need to submit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Westwood

Didn't realise this was for only houses built before 2011, what a joke ..

• Advertisement
Advertisement