Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic solar PV quotes 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Batfink69

Hi All,

Just bought a 2.7kw system; no battery or grant and hoping to self install mostly myself to keep costs down. It's a bit of a trial really as I'm fitting it on my garage roof where I do get a bit of shadow. I've paid the extra and gone for Optimisers, iBoost+ and Buddy so excess electricity can go to the Immersion heater. The 'Buddy' will tell the wife, who's at home most of the day, when we're exporting so she can go around the house turning all the lights on (oh, she does that already!).

I'll get to the point. I'm quite hands on but would like to get a look around someone else's system for various pointers and tricks so I don't look at it for the next 20 years thinking how differently I wished I'd installed it.

I'm Donegal Town based and would love to have a look at another install as locally as possible. Many thanks to all in anticipation.

Bren.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭phester28

Has anyone done any better. The best and only quote I got back from multiple attempts was 4.2k euro for 2.1Kw panels on an east west split on slate roof but still easy access.

1.2 on the east and 0.9 on west. That's as much as i can fit on the main roof.

4.2 before grant and BER is still too much IMO. The kit on solar city is around 2.2k inc vat (plus maybe 1-2 hundred for the dual string inverter). I have even tried roofers to see if they would install the bracketing but the two I tried said they have no clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

phester28 wrote: »
    Has anyone done any better. The best and only quote I got back from multiple attempts was 4.2k euro for 2.1Kw panels on an east west split on slate roof but still easy access.

4.2 before grant and BER is still too much IMO. The kit on solar city is around 2.2k inc vat (plus maybe 1-2 hundred for the dual string inverter). I have even tried roofers to see if they would install the bracketing but the two I tried said they have no clue.

Would you have room for a ground mounted system anywhere perhaps?

So that's €2.8k after grant? If so, my back of fag packet/rule of thumb says if you use most of the electricity generated then your return could be about 8.5 years.

If I've assumed correct and all your costs are included in the €4.2k (installed and commissioned), then 8.5 years sounds better than most.

Batfink69 wrote: »
    So that's €2.8k after grant?

If I've assumed correct and all your costs are included in the €4.2k (installed and commissioned), then 8.5 years sounds better than most.
    That's assuming 100% self consumption though which is very unlikely without a battery and a heavy average load.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Coltrane

air wrote: »
    That's assuming 100% self consumption though which is very unlikely without a battery and a heavy average load.

Agreed, the payback will be much longer as self-consumption falls, major factor probably being whether there's an electrical heating system.

But: let's remember that the scientists give us only 11 more years to avert a climate-disaster: https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/oct/12/mary-robinson-climate-change-former-president-ireland-ipcc-report

If they're right, we'd be penny wise to scale back PV to try to hit faster payback periods/higher self-consumption!

I don't think we should focus too much on ROI calculations which disregard the costs of climate change.

Coltrane wrote: »
    I don't think we should focus too much on ROI calculations which disregard the costs of climate change.
    I agree totally and my PV system generates about 3 times my consumption which helps to offset my other consumption.
    Reducing consumption / energy efficiency is the best thing of all though. Almost infinite ROI from some measures too.

air wrote: »
    Reducing consumption / energy efficiency is the best thing of all though. Almost infinite ROI from some measures too.

Right, probably mainly because all renewables including PV have their own dirty footprint. If we buy it, it's transported, probably from China, by sea, having been fabricated with some dirty elements. As it obscelesces/stops working we want/are forced to dump it...probably well ahead of payback date according to an ROIDCC (see below) analysis for the geeks among us including me.

I reckon my best ROIDCCs (Returns on Investment disregarding Climate Change) were from LEDs, heating-control systems and insulation (especially: an insulated sub-floor to replace an old timber suspended floor!).

Worst was probably an A2W heat pump.

PV is somewhere in the middle at say 3-5% ROIDCC, taking me well beyond 2030 when scientists forecast these calcs may begin to matter much less...

The climate change plan for Ireland has a ranking of efficiency among renewables.

The ROR should be doubled if not multiplied by 2.5 to 3 as you will only be generating for a few hours per day (less than 12) Excess is given for free and even when the FIT comes in our best guess is a 4 to 1 cost. I.E you get 5C where as what you buy is 18 - 19C per KWH.

I average a 6kwh per day over the summer so pay back is not my driving factor as such

Over the long thread I have seen the most frugal "Unkle" who pulled in favors etc and got a cracking setup to people quoting their installs at decent prices but have not responded when messaged as to what company did the install.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Nice term. ROIDCC! I agree that LEDs are probably the cheapest, highest ROIDCC change you can make. I reckon I saved the guts of 1MWh in annual electricity consumption by changing all my downlighters to LED. I did the job myself so the cost to me was 25 LED bulbs, half of them dimmable, junction boxes and GU10 connectors so well under €100.
    I got a proper factory insulated HW cylinder last year and heating controls this year. And of course PV.
    But always good to remember that there is no cost to switching off lights when you leave a room and no charge to hanging up the washing on the line instead of using the dryer.

• Advertisement

garo wrote: »
    Nice term. ROIDCC! I agree that LEDs are probably the cheapest, highest ROIDCC change you can make. I reckon I saved the guts of 1MWh in annual electricity consumption by changing all my downlighters to LED. I did the job myself so the cost to me was 25 LED bulbs, half of them dimmable, junction boxes and GU10 connectors so well under €100.
    I got a proper factory insulated HW cylinder last year and heating controls this year. And of course PV.
    But always good to remember that there is no cost to switching off lights when you leave a room and no charge to hanging up the washing on the line instead of using the dryer.

Absolutely. Or riding the bike to the shops instead of driving the EV, or keeping the EV until it croaks instead (and I'll struggle with this, I should just stop watching Fully Charged) of upgrading asap to a shiny new Model 3 or whatever.

Incidentally, my LEDs power off automatically when there's no motion (PIRs in each room, a Philips Hue system). The electrician told me it was the first house he had ever re-wired without light switches! It was a bit of a sell at home at the time, but we'd never go back now!

Nice! I am probably too cheap to fork out for a Hue system just yet.

Yeah I still have an old petrol 03. I bike to work so it only sees use at the weekends. I plan to keep it until it croaks and then go straight to EV. I figure extracting more years out of that car is less damaging to the environment than getting a shiny new EV. Making a new car has its environmental impact and I am not a heavy user so the emissions saved don’t justify it.

I figure extracting more years out of that car is less damaging to the environment than getting a shiny new EV.

Yep, has to be right.

Can we get this thread back to solar quotes please

Just got quote 2 back 4.4k for 2kwh 7 panels 4+3 east west split. thats 2.4k for about 3 days labour or 5 to 6 man days

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

Just got quote 2 back 4.4k for 2kwh 7 panels 4+3 east west split. thats 2.4k for about 3 days labour or 5 to 6 man days
    3 days to install, that does not sound right. Is there is something special about your roof?

Got 4.5kWh 12 panels, wiring, batteries, diverter done the same day.

i was just speculating as to how much profit these guys are making. Nothing special about the install

I was quoted that amount by Electric Ireland. Is there a reason you are going for such a small system? Due to the current SEAI grant those small systems (and all other systems really) are a bit inflated in cost. Also what inverter do you get with that system? You can get a 4.2kW system with 4.8kWh battery for around 7k after grant. Less if you go for a smaller battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,030 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Is there a reason you are going for such a small system? Due to the current SEAI grant those small systems (and all other systems really) are a bit inflated in cost. Also what inverter do you get with that system? You can get a 4.2kW system with 4.8kWh battery for around 7k after grant. Less if you go for a smaller battery.

+1

If you are going with the grant, go balls out and get a very good value big system with battery for €7k

If that's outside your budget, then don't go with an SEAI installer but get a local roofer / electrician and buy the parts yourself for a say €2-3k install

7 panels is all I can fit on my main roof in a built up area. no ground layout is possible. The roof has an unusual geometry that breaks up the flow of the roof with a valley.

I have rang around 4 roofers and none will install the brackets. One installer has been saying to not go SEAI and drill the slate. His point is that its approved for PV heating even by SEAI so its just Red tape for solor. I'm not sold on the idea

• Registered Users Posts: 65,030 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Only cowboys will drill slates.

• Advertisement

7 panels is all I can fit on my main roof in a built up area. no ground layout is possible. The roof has an unusual geometry that breaks up the flow of the roof with a valley.

I have rang around 4 roofers and none will install the brackets. One installer has been saying to not go SEAI and drill the slate. His point is that its approved for PV heating even by SEAI so its just Red tape for solor. I'm not sold on the idea

What part of the country are you in? I have a roofer coming next week who's been putting these things up for the last 3 years. We're South Donegal based.

He offered to fit the bars as well but I want to do as much as I can as that's just me.

I'm down in sunny Cork, so perhaps too far

Don’t go with anyone who promises to drill the slate. Keep looking. I am sure you will find someone to do the install for cheaper. A non-grant install of 7 panels shouldn’t be more than 3k tbh assuming you are going for a non-hybrid inverter. Also where are you putting the inverter and are the cable runs from panels to inverter and then inverter to fuse box straightforward?

yup all straight forward. inverter in the attic so no need for a fireman disconnect (i think). Panels to inverter I assume go through a penetration into the attic or else drop to the eves and then into the attic. Panels are on the main roof

Use a roof vent or as another forum suggested:
    Under a tile and through an over lap in the felt. Nibble a groove to the underside of the tile just enough for the DC cables and sticky Lead flashing over cable entry point. Koppex the DC cables within the loft. Make sure to label the DC cables accordingly. Koppex is not a reg or rule just looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭jimmyging

My most recent quote
    6kw array ground mounted
    5 kw hybrid inverter
    6.4 kw battery
    Eddi
    11k including grant

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭AidenL

I still haven't pulled the trigger. Looking for some opinions, even though its probably the wrong time of the year to install PV now.

Most recent electricity bill, 19th July till 11th December, 67 days.

Used 807 day units, 12 per day, 339 night units,5 per night. Total cost of the electric, after discount, including VAT, but excluding standing charges and PSO was 170 euros. So that's the amount to play for.

So, I guess my base load and night load would be right for PV and a 5kw battery which would probably take me through the night, at least at this time of year.

Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Tradnuts

Hi guys,
    I'm waiting for a few quotes back for PV for my roof.
    System i'm quoting for is a 2KW system with a diverter for the immersion.
    Fairly straight forward setup on an easy roof layout.
    I will qualify for the grant as the house is built before 2011.

Any idea's what price i should consider as competitive?
    Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭bunderoon

Tradnuts wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I'm waiting for a few quotes back for PV for my roof.
    System i'm quoting for is a 2KW system with a diverter for the immersion.
    Fairly straight forward setup on an easy roof layout.
    I will qualify for the grant as the house is built before 2011.

Any idea's what price i should consider as competitive?
    Thanks in advance

May I ask - what type and size of hot water cylinder you have? Copper / Steel 200Ltr / 250Ltr etc? And where is the immersion situation in the tank? Top/middle/bottom.

Can someone answer the question of if the immersion is half way in the tank, will the water below the immersion ever heat to a sufficient temp, say >50c ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Tradnuts

bunderoon wrote: »
    May I ask - what type and size of hot water cylinder you have? Copper / Steel 200Ltr / 250Ltr etc? And where is the immersion situation in the tank? Top/middle/bottom.

Can someone answer the question of if the immersion is half way in the tank, will the water below the immersion ever heat to a sufficient temp, say >50c ?

Hi, Thanks for the reply.
    My cylinder is 300ltr Joule Triple coil, very modern, fully insulated.
    The immersion is in the middle.
    Thanks again!

Advertisement