Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Domestic solar PV quotes 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,710 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Westwood wrote: »
    Didn't realise this was for only houses built before 2011, what a joke ..

Not really a joke. Houses built since then are very well insulated and probably already have renewables installed to pass part L of the building regulations

It would be poor value for money for the tax payers to give subsidies to these houses that won't improve their CO2 emissions much per euro spent in subsidies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I rang Meath Co Co and got to the planning office

I asked about exemption and they read over the PDF file. The only exemption is if it is below the space required....I told him my roof space was huge, he checked google maps, agreed it was and that I was less than 50% but still as the document did not say I could get exemption with less than 50% of roof space I would need to go to planning

He did say that they would approve no problem but I would need to submit

I'd say its very much a per council thing.

It was relayed to me that it was like a fast track planning type process where they dont expect/need you to go through a full planning pack where you have to get 6 copies of OSI maps etc etc.

Just the basics of the address and what's being done and thats it.

It comes with a health warning as I havent done it myself but was assured it has been done plenty times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Mine was built in 92 but new to me...moving in tomorrow:)

So planning will require an architect etc.
    Has anyone an idea on cost of applying for planning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Councils often used to interpret planning laws and guidelines with a bit of leeway. However with third parties being very quick to take any issue to ABP, they have gone very black and white.

I presume an engineer, that you don't need an architect, tatranska.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Mine was built in 92 but new to me...moving in tomorrow:)

So planning will require an architect etc.
    Has anyone an idea on cost of applying for planning?

According to Meath they said do it yourself if simple....just draw outline of house and where the solar panels would be installed....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

I wonder if a ground based array would be easier or harder to get permission for. I presume that a frame with panels mounted would need permission. (?)

I wonder if a ground based array would be easier or harder to get permission for. I presume that a frame with panels mounted would need permission. (?)

Ground based you don't need? I could be wrong now

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Ground based you don't need? I could be wrong now

I think you are. I'll try call Kerry Coco next week.

Other question, if you put 2kW on house and 2 kW on shed would that get past the building reg's?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

KCross wrote: »
    That will be different for every council.
    I have heard that some councils allow you to skip full planning and just ask for an exemption and that they are granted as they know the guidelines are ridiculous.... but thats not in every council.

Also, when you say "new house"... is that new to you or actually new?
    FYI... The SEAI Solar PV grant only applies to houses built on or before 2011

That’s incorrect KC. You can lodge a section 5 application which is an official lodgement to the council asking if the works as described require planning.

You include a form, os map and a drawing to get the best most detailed response.
    They will then give you a letter stating that the works are exempt or require planning.

There’s also a fee associated with the application.

They cannot and will not give you a cert of exemption when it contradicts the planning and development act.

Westwood wrote: »
    Didn't realise this was for only houses built before 2011, what a joke ..

Houses from 2011 onwards already have renewables installed. Hence the grant to bring older stock up to better standards. Not a joke at all. Well thought out.

kceire wrote: »
    Houses from 2011 onwards already have renewables installed. Hence the grant to bring older stock up to better standards. Not a joke at all. Well thought out.

Not that well thought out with the current limits.
    I've a 1600 sq ft bungalow and 4 acres. Think what I could have !! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

6kw is the max you are allowed.

Nothing stopping you putting in some extra renewables.

Nothing stopping you putting in some extra renewables.

Like what?

Someone said earlier in the thread they got a really good quote for pv, inverter and i Think battery from another part of the country.
    Can anyone remember who it was said it?

• Advertisement

Like what?

Someone said earlier in the thread they got a really good quote for pv, inverter and i Think battery from another part of the country.
    Can anyone remember who it was said it?

Think that was referring to my quote

11k for 4kwp (actually 4.5kwp) with 5kwh hybrid battery, hot water diverter and non essential load config, including ber.

12k for same system but 6kwp solar.

Prices are including vat but excluding grant, so take away 3,800 from either price to get the end cost to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭niallers1

10k for 4.2kw with 4.8kwh battery.

niallers1 wrote: »

10k cost to you or do you pay 10k minus the 3.8k grand? If the former, you are being ripped off. The latter is a very good deal, slightly better than what has been posted here before.

Nice one.

Is the battery system hybrid, ie can you charge from the mains as well as from.the panels ?

Were you within the planning limits?

Please post what you got.

Can you pm me who you went with?

• Advertisement

Were you within the planning limits?

No. Planning limits is 7 panels max. He is using 14 panels to get 4.2kwp

@Nialler's, what was the planning process for you to get this?

Was talking to s local crowd here in Kerry and he was doing his best to convince me not to get a battery?

Net cost to me will be 6k.Instead of the planning route I went down the half visible to the public and half not visible (back roof) to the public route.
    Risky strategy i know but i'm gambling that the planning law will change now that we are very close to ruining our planet.

(I don't advise anybody to ignore the planning laws.)

i've had it just over 3 weeks now and am using on average 2 units per day. Reasonably happy with that.

Nice one.

Is the battery system hybrid, ie can you charge from the mains as well as from.the panels ?

I belive this is possible with my set up but I don't have mine set up like this. I do not have a night meter.

Net cost to me will be 6k.Instead of the planning route I went down the half visible to the public and half not visible (back roof) to the public route.
    Risky strategy i know but i'm gambling that the planning law will change now that we are very close to ruining our planet.

i've had it just over 3 weeks now and am using on average 2 units per day. Reasonably happy with that.

Did you get the installer to do the extras or do it yourself?

When you say using 2 units a day, what do you mean ?

You are using 2 units from esb, and the rest is solar ?

When you say using 2 units a day, what do you mean ?

You are using 2 units from esb, and the rest is solar ?

Correct - 2 units from Grid and everything else from solar PV and Battery.
    In the summer I will have more electricity than I can use unless I divert to hot water tank or give away to grid.

Sums hard to justify a diverter but I would get one if I picked up a cheap variable sine diverter.

Correct - 2 units from Grid and everything else from solar PV and Battery.
    In the summer I will have more electricity than I can use unless I divert to hot water tank or give away to grid.

Sums hard to justify a diverter but I would get one if I picked up a cheap variable sine diverter.

Cool, what's your average bill up to now (per month)

2 units a day is what, only about 40c a day ?

Go get yourself an EV, niallers1 :)

unkel wrote: »
    Go get yourself an EV, niallers1 :)

I have one but we have chargers at work that seems to be covering my requierments at the moment. our other car has about two years left in it so we will be a two EV household when that dies. Also have young girls in the house, no doubt they will become higher users as they get older.

• Advertisement

Cool, what's your average bill up to now (per month)

2 units a day is what, only about 40c a day ?

Normally use 9 to 10 units per day on average.
    If I change supplier each year my bill for electricty should be very low .

I have one but we have chargers at work that seems to be covering my requierments at the moment. our other car has about two years left in it so we will be a two EV household when that dies. Also have young girls in the house, no doubt they will become higher users as they get older.

Before you go ahead to buy a hot water diverter, it is good to consider that there might be a feed in tariff in future for the excess electricity you produce. Not so much from the ESB itself as was the case in the past, but from individual utility providers. I wouldn't rule that out :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭phester28

from the last time I checked if you become a low user from the esb they charge you more per unit or connection. I cant remember which. So savings calculations will be skewed.

phester28 wrote: »
    from the last time I checked if you become a low user from the esb they charge you more per unit or connection. I cant remember which. So savings calculations will be skewed.

Electric Ireland charge you if you use less than 2 units per day over a billing cycle.

I think they are the only company to charge this.

Has anyone use advanced heating in clonalkilty?

unkel wrote: »
    Before you go ahead to buy a hot water diverter, it is good to consider that there might be a feed in tariff in future for the excess electricity you produce. Not so much from the ESB itself as was the case in the past, but from individual utility providers. I wouldn't rule that out :cool:

Either way, it’s a small unit the size of a large lunch box that sits beside your consumer unit. It’s a simple wired in connection so can be removed in about 5 mins. With a registered electrician of course ;)

Either way, it’s a small unit the size of a large lunch box that sits beside your consumer unit. It’s a simple wired in connection so can be removed in about 5 mins. With a registered electrician of course ;)

Aye, but you wouldn't get your EUR 500 back ;)

Tatranska, do you mean AHAC Skibbereen?

Water John wrote: »
    Tatranska, do you mean AHAC Skibbereen?

Advanced heating . He's actually in kenmare according his website.
    He told me he was in clonalkilty. Probably were he lives.

• Advertisement

Different crowd, similar name, no knowledge sorry.

Water John wrote: »
    Different crowd, similar name, no knowledge sorry.

What about the other crowd you mentioned?

I only knew them from doing underfloor. Not over impressed. Loops too long and didn't zone each room. Sort of cut price job, don't know if those savings made it to the customer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

The best quote that i got so far for a hybrid inverter and 2 x 2.5KW battery built-in,all cables and management inside, comes at around €5,000 ex VAT delivered.
    No installation so far quoted and trade price.

Beauty of THIS system is that it takes the arrays mounted with the cabling in series so no changes required at that level. Docs HERE .

What do you think !?

rolion wrote: »
    The best quote that i got so far for a hybrid inverter and 2 x 2.5KW battery built-in,all cables and management inside, comes at around €5,000 ex VAT delivered.
    No installation so far quoted and trade price.

Beauty of THIS system is that it takes the arrays mounted with the cabling in series so no changes required at that level. Docs HERE .

What do you think !?
    What will your final system look like ? what do you think it will cost?

Dunno yet...still looking around.

I have around 5-8KW diverted to immersion on an average weekday.
    I guess that could go to a battery, 5KW capacity.
    The 5KW battery could be depleted from 6pm to 8am,when i do around 500Wh x 12h = 6KWh....still not enough ! :(

• Advertisement

The 5KW battery could be depleted from 6pm to 8am,when i do around 500Wh x 12h = 6KWh....still not enough ! :(

Sorry, I don't get what you are talking about.

Do you have an existing pv system which you are now looking to add a battery to ?

If so, what is the existing system dimensioning ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭air

5kWh (please correct your units!) sounds perfect so, means you will maximise your use of it.

My 5KW installed power PV array cannot "justify" a 5Kw battery...end of story.
    The manufacturer gives 10 years warranty or anumber of charging cycles BUT not if you keep doing deep cycles.

If my outgoing is 500Wh by 12 hours off-sunlight,i will need to stop using the battery at around 40% SoC,otherwise i massively reduce the health of the system... therefore,i can extract maxim jouice of 50-60%, giving a 5KW x 60% = 3,000Wh...over 500Wh,autonomy of 6 hours ?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭air

500W is a fairly hefty base load while you're asleep. It would be better to try and reduce that if possible first before sizing your battery.

My base load is well over 1kW atm :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement