Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic solar PV quotes 2018

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

You could get the solar hardware from china and get a sole trader to install, and use the grant to offset the installation.

• Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

JJJJNR wrote: »
    You could get the solar hardware from china and get a sole trader to install, and use the grant to offset the installation.

Most installers don't buy direct from China, so it's really not feasible for an individual to buy reputable hardware direct from China.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

7 x 320w QCell Panels - 2.240kw PV Array
    €3750 plus VAT = €4256

Minus €1400 Grant.
    Customer pays €2856
    11.9 Sq. M array so planning exempt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

kceire wrote: »
    €3750 plus VAT = €4256

Minus €1400 Grant.
    Customer pays €2856

As it is shared on facebook can we not share the company name here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

€3750 plus VAT = €4256

Minus €1400 Grant.
    Customer pays €2856

Looks like a very good quote. Would you mind PM'ing me the name of the company? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

€3750 plus VAT = €4256

Minus €1400 Grant.
    Customer pays €2856

Looks like a very good quote. Would you mind PM'ing me the name of the company? Thanks.

They're not on the SEAI approved installers yet so take that into account.
    They say they will be on it soon but I'd not commit to it until I saw them on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭quentingargan

€3750 plus VAT = €4256

Minus €1400 Grant.
    Customer pays €2856

Typical list price for a 7 panel system would be about €2K Trade prices a bit lower. So on the face of it, that is about €2k to install.

I guess it depends on the house - A 2 story with slates is more expensive than a bungalow with tiles.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    As it is shared on facebook can we not share the company name here?

Not sure tbh?
    I thought we could post a link to it, but I didn't want to take any chances.

PM sent
    niallers1 wrote: »
    They say they will be on it soon but I'd not commit to it until I saw them on the list.

Its worth also taking into account that the SEAI list that's on their website currently is not correct or complete. I rang 4 companies on the list last week, and 3 of them told me they don't do the PV installations and they would have to get onto SEAI themselves to remove them from the list.

I believe the company quoting the above are in the process of getting onto the SEAI list.

They are not on the SEAI list because they did not do Thermal. They are working with SEAI now to get certification done.

If you look at the list of certified companies it is small. I would have thought SEAI might bother letting the companies know before releasing the grant so they would get time to get added.....but sure that would make sense:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭H.E. Pennypacker

€3750 plus VAT = €4256

Minus €1400 Grant.
    Customer pays €2856

Would you mind PMing me their details too please?

• Advertisement

I talked to Electric Ireland

You can get installation if not Electric Ireland customer but you have to pay up front.

To get the montly pay you need to be a customer of Electric Ireland and you also need to have your account with them for 12 months.

I offered to move and show 2 years of level pay with other providers but they won't accept that.

I was hoping they would be option as the 0% finance would take away the initial big cost but I would need to first move(pay a cancellation fee with current provider) and then wait 12 months :-(

Would you mind PMing me their details too please?

PM Sent

• Registered Users Posts: 16,913 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Shefwedfan wrote:
    I was hoping they would be option as the 0% finance would take away the initial big cost but I would need to first move(pay a cancellation fee with current provider) and then wait 12 months :-(

Usually with 0% finance you could expect the price quoted higher than normal price. ESB used to do this when they had their retail shops.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Usually with 0% finance you could expect the price quoted higher than normal price. ESB used to do this when they had their retail shops.

yes I am aware of that. They are about 500 quid more expensive for the 2kWp system.

I am waiting for them to confirm on a larger system, but the 0% finance from Electric Ireland could work out cheaper to a loan which for home improvements have a high interest rate at the moment.....

In reality it is not 0% but they are maybe doing a lower mark up than the banks.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

€3750 plus VAT = €4256

Minus €1400 Grant.
    Customer pays €2856

As I said on Facebook, I've asked SEAI to confirm, the grant documentation says clearly that any system over 2kWp will need battery storage. This system will have another 4000 euro on top of it before the 1000 euro storage grant. Once our friends in SEAI confirm what the situation is here I'll update this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

flamegrill wrote: »
    As I said on Facebook, I've asked SEAI to confirm, the grant documentation says clearly that any system over 2kWp will need battery storage. This system will have another 4000 euro on top of it before the 1000 euro storage grant. Once our friends in SEAI confirm what the situation is here I'll update this post.

It's very clear on the FAQ on the SEAI site.
    You can go over the 2kw (to any size) without a battery but you will only get a grant up to 2kw i.e 1400

If you want to get the 700 for every KW over 2kw you will need to get the battery. If you don't get the battery you will only get 1400 euros.

It's very clear on the FAQ on the SEAI site.
    You can go over the 2kw (to any size) without a battery but you will only get a grant up to 2kw i.e 1400

If you want to get the 700 for every KW over 2kw you will need to get the battery. If you don't get the battery you will only get 1400 euros.

I knew someone would say this. It's NOT clear at all. The main body of text says:

"Grant amounts available
    Solar PV Battery Storage System
    €700/kWp €1,000

* €700 for every kWp up to max 4kWp. Any installation over 2kWp must install a battery."

Then in the FAQ it says what you said. So I've asked for clarification from them.

Actually I think that this FAQ question/answer clarifies it. it does for me. it's what I said.

Then we have this.

"What if I want to install a larger system than the scheme allows?

You are eligible for the maximum level of grant available for the system you install. Two examples are given below.

I want to install 3kW of solar PV, but do not want to install a battery: You will get €1400 grant for the initial 2kW of system.
    I want to install 6kW, and a battery: You will get €3800 for the initial 4kW of solar PV and the battery system"

Clear. Not. Conflicting answers at best.

Am I missing something here? I think its pretty clear tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭H.E. Pennypacker

6 x 295w mono panels €3,140 + vat

immersion diverter €420 extra (not clear if vat is included)

2.4 kWh battery €3,600 (not clear if vat is included)

Am I missing something here? I think its pretty clear tbh.

No I thought it was fairly clear........

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭conor_mc

I would have thought SEAI might bother letting the companies know before releasing the grant so they would get time to get added.....but sure that would make sense:D

I like a bash a quango as much as the next (wo)man, but isn’t the grant available from Oct therefore they have been given time to get added???

conor_mc wrote: »
    I like a bash a quango as much as the next (wo)man, but isn’t the grant available from Oct therefore they have been given time to get added???

Good point, I forgot that in the scramble to spend money :P

Electric Ireland will only quote for 1.8kWp system unless you have planning permission already in place...that is what they told me today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭quentingargan

Electric Ireland will only quote for 1.8kWp system unless you have planning permission already in place...that is what they told me today
    From the code of practice for installers;

The Installer must use due care and attention to design a suitable, and optimum, solar PV
    system (and storage system, if included) for the homeowner, considering;
    • A minimum design life of 20 years
    • Planning, and local authority requirements

See HERE
    I don't think many installers will go sticking their necks out on this aspect.

The same was confirmed to me today also. I asked how can I get PP without a system design. They said I don't need a design, the local authority would just tell me the maximum I can install. :confused:

The same was confirmed to me today also. I asked how can I get PP without a system design. They said I don't need a design, the local authority would just tell me the maximum I can install. :confused:

My point was why would I get planning permission is I don't know if I can afford a 4kWp system....:P

My point was why would I get planning permission is I don't know if I can afford a 4kWp system....:P

Indeed. They are shooting themselves in the foot by being ruled out at the initial stage by potential customers. They should make it a requirement that PP is in place prior to the signing of contracts; not before the quotation.

• Advertisement

Indeed. They are shooting themselves in the foot by being ruled out at the initial stage by potential customers. They should make it a requirement that PP is in place prior to the signing of contracts; not before the quotation.

Thats what other companies are doing.

According to Electric Ireland they wasted too much time going out to peoples house. Quoting and then the person wouldn't get planning permission or thought it was too expensive

Now I can 100% understand that. Hence why for these types of job's when I am unsure if I will go ahead I will give Eircode and get them to review the site from google maps and they can price base on that. Saves them money coming out.....

Advertisement