Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Old TV programmes you liked but no one else remembers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭smilerf

Hanging with Mr cooper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,411 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Baseball72 wrote: »
    This is a great thread - must look back on previous postings when Boards returns to normal speeds...

The Trials of O'Brien - mid 60's. Starred Peter Falk as a lawyer.......played a very similar type character to Colombo which followed a few years later...some clips on YouTube - watched a clip a few weeks back (8 mins or so) of a young Alan Alda guest starring.....

I cleared my browser history completely on my phone and the speeds went back to normal. Theres a thread about it somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Maxx355

Switch (Robert Wagner & Eddie Albert)
    Blake Seven

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭cml387

"The Long Hot Summer"

RTE on Saturday evenings in 1960's. Now I see from Wikipedia that one of the stars was Roy Thinnes (of "The Invaders").
    I remember the theme music more than anything else , and thinking that a Long Hot Summer would be nice. Come to think of it 1966 was a nice summer . OK I'm rambling now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Maxx355 wrote: »
    Switch (Robert Wagner & Eddie Albert)
    Blake Seven
    I liked Blake's 7. I was just recently reading a synopsis of it on Wikipedia. Might still be a good watch today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭smilerf

The Detectives
    Jasper Carrott and Robert Powell

I liked Blake's 7. I was just recently reading a synopsis of it on Wikipedia. Might still be a good watch today.

Emmmm no.

I was huge fan at the time, but it's aged badly, tinfoil suits running around Television Centre and some outside filmed inserts shot in a quarry near Reading.
    You know what they say...never go back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Mr. T, the cartoon series

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

There was a natural history programme on RTE 1 back in the 80s. Broadcast on a Sunday night sometime before 9.00. Presented by a Irish college professor. Had a beard, in his 50s. Went around the country looking at natural features of the landscape explaining how they came about. All about the ice age stone age caves river features etc. Can't remember the name of the series but used to love watching it.

• Advertisement

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

branie2 wrote: »
    Mr. T, the cartoon series

Mr T appearing as his live action self at the end saying things like "don't be a fool, go to school".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭Worztron

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,959 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I used to like Top Cat when I was very young.

eagle eye wrote: »

Top Cat was based on Sgt. Bilko

eagle eye wrote: »
    Loved that too. I'd watch it after coming home from primary school.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Baseball72

"The Mystery Movie". 90 minute programme. it consisted of 3 separate series if memory serves, on a rotation basis. "The Name of the Game" with Gene Barry - set in a newspaper, was one of the programmes in the series. I think MacMillan & Wife (Rock Hudson) was also in the loop....

Baseball72 wrote: »
    "The Mystery Movie". 90 minute programme. it consisted of 3 separate series if memory serves, on a rotation basis. "The Name of the Game" with Gene Barry - set in a newspaper, was one of the programmes in the series. I think MacMillan & Wife (Rock Hudson) was also in the loop....

I had a crush on Susan St James in that series. Wikipedia says that it rotated with Columbo and McCloud as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,223 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Voltron: Defender of the Universe.

80s era Japanese-American cartoon series, about a squadron of pilots who command 5 robot lions which combine to form mighty robot Voltron.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Voltron: Defender of the Universe.

80s era Japanese-American cartoon series, about a squadron of pilots who command 5 robot lions which combine to form mighty robot Voltron.

Sounds like power rangers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Baseball72

Arrest and Trial - with Ben Gazara. I think it may have been the first 90 minute series. Aired on TE Saturday nights in the mid '60's. First part of the programme was about the cops and the crime, the second part of the programme was the prosecution.

The Grimleys, late 90s sitcom set in the 70s (in Birmingham I think). Noddy Holder from Slade played a music teacher and Nigel Planer was the father of the main family featured . Found it entertaining enough at the time but not sure how it would hold up now. Most of the jokes were about 70s fashions/attitudes which have been done to death since. Don't think it's been repeated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

The Grimleys, late 90s sitcom set in the 70s (in Birmingham I think). Noddy Holder from Slade played a music teacher and Nigel Planer was the father of the main family featured . Found it entertaining enough at the time but not sure how it would hold up now. Most of the jokes were about 70s fashions/attitudes which have been done to death since. Don't think it's been repeated.

Yeah, I remember that one. Written by Jed Mercurio who later changed direction to write Line Of Duty and Bodyguard

As you said it was good back then but I've never felt the urge to track it down for another viewing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,223 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Sounds like power rangers

In the joining up concept yes but actually the Voltron animation reminded me more of similar era Transformers.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Psychos, Channel 4 series from 1999 set in a Glasgow mental hospital. From what I remember of it involved a lot of scenes of doctors getting off their faces on drugs, going to raves and screwing each other and their patients.Think it was riding on that post Trainspotting wave where Scottishness was hip. It only lasted one series, would be curious too see it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Psychos, Channel 4 series from 1999 set in a Glasgow mental hospital. From what I remember of it involved a lot of scenes of doctors getting off their faces on drugs, going to raves and screwing each other and their patients.Think it was riding on that post Trainspotting wave where Scottishness was hip. It only lasted one series, would be curious too see it again.

All episodes of Psycho are on YouTube - here.

The Cops (BBC 1998-2001) is another underrated show that lots of people don't remember. All 24 episodes from the three series on YouTube as well but in 15 minute parts so a lot of searching needed - sometimes it'll line up the next part, other times it won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Maxx355

The Old Grey Whistle Test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Maxx355 wrote: »
    The Old Grey Whistle Test

Top of the Pops' "cooler" little brother.

Robin of Sherwood, theme music by Clannad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭Amberjack

Eerie Indiana 1991-1992 only ran for one series.
    I quite enjoyed it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

The Far Pavilions, a series set in colonial India.

I didn't see this programme but remember it advertised on RTE at the time. A Second In June , a one off drama centered around Ronald Regans Irish visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Amberjack wrote: »
    Eerie Indiana 1991-1992 only ran for one series.
    I quite enjoyed it
    I loved that show, like a junior X-Files.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Terrahawks. It had one of the scariest looking characters ever, Zelda

rCAR7sep_400x400.jpeg

The Mysterious Cities of Gold (1982–1983)

• Advertisement

branie2 wrote: »
    Robin of Sherwood, theme music by Clannad
    I remember liking the way they would kill soldiers in it. They'd let let Guy of Gisbon go, but that was acceptable because he was actually Robin's brother. But thrn they cornered the sherriff of nottingham and let him go too, and I found that frustrating.

The numbers of himan deaths in a show was a major factor for me in deciding how good it was. Defenders of the Earth featured occasional aerial bombardments by ming's forces so that got top marks in that regard. Animal deaths on the other hand were upsetting and unnecessary.

I liked the theme music too. I went into a record shop and tried to buy it. They didnt have it.

The saracen, or two-swords guy as I called him, was pretty cool too... I think it went downhill a bit when the swordsman became the new robin. Whose idea was that huh? Robin hood is synonomous with bows. It all went to someone's head i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,231 ✭✭✭✭briany

I'm With Busey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Neames

Holmes & YoYo

Surely I didn't imagine it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,643 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

The Red Hand Gang. Kind of live-action Scooby-Doo with preeteens.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

The saracen, or two-swords guy as I called him, was pretty cool too... I think it went downhill a bit when the swordsman became the new robin. Whose idea was that huh? Robin hood is synonomous with bows. It all went to someone's head i think

Michael Praed and Jason Connery (Sean's son) played Robin. I don't remember if anyone else did.

I used to think Nazir (Saracen) was cool too:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭screamer

Don’t know if people remember them but I used to like China beach, space above and beyond and American Gothic. The last 2 only got a single series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

screamer wrote:
    Don’t know if people remember them but I used to like China beach, space above and beyond and American Gothic. The last 2 only got a single series.

Ah Lucas Buck and Caleb, loved that show!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

One of my favourite cartoons growing up was Jayce and the wheeled warriors.
    It was set on a distant planet and some of the characters 'transformed' into vehicles (wheeled warriors) and was absolutely class if my brain is remembering correctly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,893 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Loved China Beach and have been in love with Dana Delaney ever since.

Tour of Duty ran at the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭screamer

tedpan wrote: »
    Ah Lucas Buck and Caleb, loved that show!

Useless bit of info sorry if off topic. The actor that played Caleb is now in a CSI, I think New Orleans maybe, was watching it one night and I heard the strong accent and thought that’s very distinctive and sure enough it’s him. His real name is Lucas, which must’ve been weird in American Gothic when the creepy dad sheriff was called Lucas too, anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,893 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

screamer wrote: »
    Useless bit of info sorry if off topic. The actor that played Caleb is now in a CSI, I think New Orleans maybe, was watching it one night and I heard the strong accent and thought that’s very distinctive and sure enough it’s him. His real name is Lucas, which must’ve been weird in American Gothic when the creepy dad sheriff was called Lucas too, anyways.

Yes NCIS New Orleans and he is also in the F&F franchise in Tokyo drift and the new one coming out.

I remember liking the way they would kill soldiers in it. They'd let let Guy of Gisbon go, but that was acceptable because he was actually Robin's brother. But thrn they cornered the sherriff of nottingham and let him go too, and I found that frustrating.

The numbers of himan deaths in a show was a major factor for me in deciding how good it was. Defenders of the Earth featured occasional aerial bombardments by ming's forces so that got top marks in that regard. Animal deaths on the other hand were upsetting and unnecessary.

I liked the theme music too. I went into a record shop and tried to buy it. They didnt have it.

The chap with the stags head who they worshiped in the forest used to creep me out. In one episode the Sherrifs men sneak up on one of their gatherings and shoot him with a crossbow, can't remember what happened next but presume he survived.

Neames wrote: »
    Holmes & YoYo

Surely I didn't imagine it.

No you didn't. What do you think was the inspiration for the "Friends" series-within-a-series called "Mac and C.H.E.E.S.E"?

The chap with the stags head who they worshiped in the forest used to creep me out. In one episode the Sherrifs men sneak up on one of their gatherings and shoot him with a crossbow, can't remember what happened next but presume he survived.

Hern the Hunter :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement