Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Climate Action Plan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

There's my queue to say good night

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Well ok let's do nothing and carry on as is and see how that goes. Whether climate heating is man made or not we're turning the planet into a giant dump and there'll be nothing left for anyone soon enough.

.13%

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭SomeGuyCalledMi

India and China say they can't change quickly because they are too big and that small countries like Ireland have an unfair advantage in their ability to change.

But we say we won't change because we are too small and insignificant.

We have an opportunity to be world class at something. But instead we will be just average at best.

I'm disappointed but not surprised. This just doesn't go far enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,627 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Well ok let's do nothing and carry on as is and see how that goes. Whether climate heating is man made or not we're turning the planet into a giant dump and there'll be nothing left for anyone soon enough.

Things never carry on “as is” forever. Humans adapt and innovate. There are few hunter gatherers left, not because of government taxation or incentives but because there is a better way to secure food. There have been doom mongers as long as there have been people and natural disasters. There has always been a blurring of the lines between science and religion and now the “science” of climate doom has become an article of faith. We can only save ourselves by repentance.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Regarding that misconception that China is supposedly 'polluting less than other countries'
    We do, but they have 300 times our population and that is the bigger problem.

There are far too many people on the planet and nobody is going to have the balls to say this is what we need to be cutting.

I'm not suggesting a cull but governments all across the world are going to have to find some way of stopping people from having too many children.

Not quite

China is the biggest emitter of greenhouse gas CO2 in the world. Largely down to their use of coal in industry and energy production. Coal fired power stations are still being commissioned.

China at 7.5 tonnes of carbon dioxide per person - has gone past European per capita emissions (6.4 tonnes) and was higher than Ireland at 7.3 tonnes for the last year reported (2014)

At least Ireland is producing food and not huge amounts of disposable tat ...

Edit: Apologies found correct link.

33p132.jpg

https://databank.worldbank.org/reports.aspx?source=2&series=EN.ATM.CO2E.PC&country=#

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Blinky Plebum

There's a really good book called "Factfulness" that shows global trends based on WHO data to prove that fact is often diffrent from a common perception.

One of these is that population will continue to increase unless we have some good wars or famines. But the reality is that as the standards of living improve the family size declines significantly. While we might be looking at 10bn people by 2100, it should be flatlining at that.

In addition, we should be looking at waste per person for a more accurate reflection of where the issues lie, and should be looking to decrease waste significantly by those of us at the top of the again (which is everyone in this country.)

As other countries standard of living match ours so too will their waste per person. Because people are like water, socio economic classes find an equilibrium in terms of possession and waste. We can lead the way.

Any anyway, being selfish, it will make our own country a lot cooler.

Agree with all that but the problem is it could well be too late before all that happens, realistically there should have been efforts made to control population 50 years ago when it was becoming apparent we were all having such a negative effect on the planet.

Everyone in the world should be aiming to consume less live a greener life but not having such a big population in the first place would help all efforts in that regard.

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-eii/eii2016/ggcc/

In 2013 Ireland was way higher than China is now at 12.8 and probably has increased since

And carbon from Irish households is highest in EU, way higher than the average

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/irish-household-carbon-emissions-worst-in-eu-1.3460625

India and China say they can't change quickly because they are too big and that small countries like Ireland have an unfair advantage in their ability to change.

But we say we won't change because we are too small and insignificant.

We have an opportunity to be world class at something. But instead we will be just average at best.

I'm disappointed but not surprised. This just doesn't go far enough.

I don't think we are saying that I think people have correctly pointed out that if we do change it would not do much to fix the problem as long as the larger countries in the world like China,India and USA refuse to change aswell and those 3 massive countries seem to be most resistant to change.

I don't think we are saying that I think people have correctly pointed out that if we do change it would do much to fix the problem as long as the larger countries in the world like China,India and USA refuse to change aswell and those 3 massive countries seem to be most resistant to change.

Yes. We contribute 0.13% of global emissions.

These are carbon taxes on a country that produces a tenth of 1 percent of the emissions. A total waste of time that will push people into poverty.
    FG do not care about poor people. The green party do not care about poor people. And it looks like Irish people don't care about poor people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

everyone in the world needs to change.

The BRIC's and Pakistan as well as developing African nations like Nigeria will wipe their arses with any demands to change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Yes. We contribute 0.13% of global emissions.

These are carbon taxes on a country that produces a tenth of 1 percent of the emissions. A total waste of time that will push people into poverty.
    FG do not care about poor people. The green party do not care about poor people. And it looks like Irish people don't care about poor people.
    We are 0.06% of the world’s population so 0.13% of the emissions is far too high

We are 0.06% of the world’s population so 0.13% of the emissions is far too high

Leo has put his plan in place .The train has left the station. It can't be stopped. So you have gotten your wish.
    Carbon taxes are here to stay. The 8% who voted for the greens won.

I can complain and argue it but there is no point. Well done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

El_Bee wrote: »
    The BRIC's and Pakistan as well as developing African nations like Nigeria will wipe their arses with any demands to change.
    If other nations recognize climate change as a primary national security threat they can respond accordingly and force them to follow suit.... As well as incentivizing them to of course

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

If other nations recognize climate change as a primary national security threat they can respond accordingly and force them to follow suit.

No one is forcing China, India and Pakistan into anything.

Agree with all that but the problem is it could well be too late before all that happens, realistically there should have been efforts made to control population 50 years ago when it was becoming apparent we were all having such a negative effect on the planet.

Everyone in the world should be aiming to consume less live a greener life but not having such a big population in the first place would help all efforts in that regard.

“Everyone in the world should be aiming to consume less.” ?

What absolute first world centric bollocks. Half the worlds population live on less than $2.50 a day!

• Advertisement

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭SirGerryAdams

Thanks to all you idiots who voted to tax people who are already struggling. Taxing people barely getting by just to save the planet for generations ahead. Pain now, gain later. Cheers. I really appreciate it.

How about instead of pouring misery on people already just trying to get by, how about we restrict population growth? But nooooo...of course we couldn't do that!

Let's just increase energy ratings in houses again and prop prices up by another 10% and have this generation be the lost generation.

How about thinking long term and stopping the number of people on the planet growing and allowing them to keep the same quality of life instead of more people with a ****tier standard of living???

Thanks to all you idiots who voted to tax people who are already struggling. Taxing people barely getting by just to save the planet for generations ahead. Pain now, gain later. Cheers. I really appreciate it.

How about instead of pouring misery on people already just trying to get by, how about we restrict population growth? But nooooo...of course we couldn't do that!

Let's just increase energy ratings in houses again and prop prices up by another 10% and have this generation be the lost generation.

How about thinking long term and stopping the number of people on the planet growing and allowing them to keep the same quality of life instead of more people with a ****tier standard of living???

I saw Mary-Lou walking in Sallins on Sunday- was she wearing plastic soles? Nearly sure she was.

What about the plastic balls she'll generate?

As a friend of mine used to say:

Le Plastique, c'est fantastic

SafeSurfer wrote: »

What absolute first world centric bollocks.Half the worlds population live on less than $2.50 a day!

I assume you've massively cut the amount you consume in solidarity with the worlds poor.

There are too many people on the planet.

Why has Ethiopia's population Skyrocketed in the last 50 years despite there being numerous famines over the same period, it's completely illogical and yet nobody wants to point that out that if there were population controls put in place across the world the entire world would be better off.

I'd be all for that but it wont happen because it goes against the world order of economic growth. Plus this would also mean pouring misery on the population as we'd probably all have less stuff, smaller pensions, less people to look after us for a while. We'd need to take it on the chin for a while, big deal.
    However the only thing that will be decreasing population is either natural disaster, possibly from climate change, or war and famine, as resources become even more depleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Be funny if we all live carbon free in 50 years all happy hugging the trees and a nuclear war breaks out and wipes is all off the planet.

The biggest threat to the planet is nuclear missiles but yeah let’s blame paddy and tax him more and let the superpowers edge us closer to nuclear Armageddon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

FG's stated policy is to increase the nations population by 1 million by 2040 or was it 2030?? Either way we are going to be absolutely screwed here in a few short years.

FG's stated policy is to increase the nations population by 1 million by 2040 or was it 2030?? Either way we are going to be absolutely screwed here in a few short years.

The greens are now apparently shouting for FG to drop Varadkar's wonderful vision for growing the tax base through increasing the population via immigration

With all these lovely new taxes coming on stream - probably won't have to do that now ...

What I'd like to know is if there are to be zero carbon emissions - what exactly are all these new houses to be built of?

Concrete has very high levels of CO2 emissions
    So no concrete then

Timber is also out - as once trees are felled- the carbon they have absorbed is released.

Guess we will have to just go back living in caves - it's going to get pretty crowded in there ...

SafeSurfer wrote: »

What absolute first world centric bollocks.Half the worlds population live on less than $2.50 a day!

I assume you've massively cut the amount you consume in solidarity with the worlds poor.

There are too many people on the planet.

Why has Ethiopia's population Skyrocketed in the last 50 years despite there being numerous famines over the same period, it's completely illogical and yet nobody wants to point that out that if there were population controls put in place across the world the entire world would be better off.

You are wrong to assume that, just as it is wrong and cringeworthy to call on people who earn the price of a newspaper a day to cut their consumption.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Nice plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

The winners and losers have already been decided and the fines are to be levied on the general taxpayer.

Climate emergency is simply the new euphemism for more taxes.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Climate emergency is simply the new euphemism for more taxes.

Unfortunately, I suspect you could be right, with the result being, not much climate action

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

A country desperate for pats in the back and screw their own citizens to get them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

gozunda wrote: »
    The greens are now apparently shouting for FG to drop Varadkar's wonderful vision for growing the tax base through increasing the population via immigration

With all these lovely new taxes coming on stream - probably won't have to do that now ...

What I'd like to know is if there are to be zero carbon emissions - what exactly are all these new houses to be built of?

Concrete has very high levels of CO2 emissions
    So no concrete then

Timber is also out - as once trees are felled- the carbon they have absorbed is released.

Guess we will have to just go back living in caves - it's going to get pretty crowded in there ...

New caves with communal kitchens.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sandyxxx

At the polling station what are the alternatives to this pie-in-the-sky Fine Gael vanity project,.......I’ll be looking to cast my ballot elsewhere,they’re talking like this is a done-deal but they’ll be in for a land come the next GE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Are you familiar with the phrase might as well be throwing a cocktail sausage down O'Connell Street.

Countries_by_carbon_dioxide_emissions_world_map_deobfuscated.png

An increase of 75% carbon tax on fossil fuels already being spoken about for October's budget.
    It has begun. Spare a thought for the elderly who will be forced to choose between food or fuel this winter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭riddles

It would be nice to see something meaningful kicked off rather than building these stupid and ineffective wind mills everywhere- something like this.

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/norwegian-energy-giant-spurned-1-5bn-irish-pumped-hydro-power-plan-36925962.html

Retrofit grant aided projects means simply the price of stuff is doubled or tripled in some cases.

As an FG voter I can safely say never again will they get a vote from me. Worthless crew. As for the shambles that is the greens - a vote for them is a massive endorsement for for hand wringing virtue signaling on a national scale.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

riddles wrote: »

As an FG voter I can safely say never again will they get a vote from me. Worthless crew. As for the shambles that is the greens - a vote for them is a massive endorsement for for hand wringing virtue signaling on a national scale.

Meh, they're all the same. All of any Irish government's plans EVER to combat 'issues' are centred around taxation. Sometimes they even double or even treble it up (see VAT, motor tax and carbon tax).

It's always been this way for as long as I can remember.

I heard Hildegarde Naughton on Matt Cooper last night banging on about how brilliant Richard Brutal was at delivering plans. It was quite frustrating to listen to. The plans do not seem achievable without significant government financial backing. The ordinary taxpayer will not be able to sustain it.

If all FG got out of Local Election results was that we want to be a Greener Society, then they are suffering with Evil Queen syndrome in which they are listening to their programme managers and special advisors too much .

Or its just pure arrogance taking an anti gov vote in which the Greens were the most forgivable out of the whole bunch, to push even more taxes. Its like a re-run of the mid 80s when Dukes et al made a mess of everything.

Eitherway they will get their answer at the ballot boxes at the inevitable and looming general election.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

sandyxxx wrote: »
    At the polling station what are the alternatives to this pie-in-the-sky Fine Gael vanity project,.......I’ll be looking to cast my ballot elsewhere,they’re talking like this is a done-deal but they’ll be in for a land come the next GE.

will they? i suspect not really
    riddles wrote: »
    It would be nice to see something meaningful kicked off rather than building these stupid and ineffective wind mills everywhere- something like this.

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/norwegian-energy-giant-spurned-1-5bn-irish-pumped-hydro-power-plan-36925962.html

Retrofit grant aided projects means simply the price of stuff is doubled or tripled in some cases.

i like virtue signalling of trying to look after the planet for future generations

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

STB. wrote: »
    I heard Hildegarde Naughton on Matt Cooper last night banging on about how brilliant Richard Brutal was at delivering plans last night. It was quite frustrating to listen to. The plans do not seem achievable without significant government financial backing. The ordinary taxpayer will not be able to sustain it.

If all FG got out of Local Election results was that we want to be a Greener Society, then they are suffering with Evil Queen syndrome in which they are listening to their programme managers and special advisors too much .

Or its just pure arrogance taking an anti gov vote in which the Greens were the most forgivable out of the whole bunch, to push even more taxes.

Eitherway they will get their answer at the ballot boxes at the inevitable and looming general election.

The more worrying thing for me is that people will see FF as a decent alternative, completely disregarding their recent history :(

I myself am becoming much more anti-FG but can't fathom voting for that other shower either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭Lofidelity

Ban smoky coal nationwide from 2020.

Start with the low hanging fruit. A simple idea that wont cost consumers any money and will improve the air in regional towns in winter.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    will they? i suspect not really

i like virtue signalling of trying to look after the planet for future generations

So you keep saying. The plan put forward by fine Gael will never come to pass. Basic infrastructure projects in this country never run smoothly or on time or budget. Some just get cancelled altogether

Not a hope of any real change. Apart from taxation of course. That is all they know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

Its laughable...Ireland is so small and inconsequential that id guess the 100th biggest city in outer China would have more emmissions

This is a misguised virtue feulled red herring for taxing the bollix out of us

We should be on board at some stage but not leading the pack

Its laughable...Ireland is so small and inconsequential that id guess the 100th biggest city in outer China would have more emmissions

This is a misguised virtue feulled red herring for taxing the bollix out of us

We should be on board at some stage but not leading the pack

Ireland is responsible for 0.13% of global emissions. Basically a fart in the wind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,656 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Lofidelity wrote: »
    Ban smoky coal nationwide from 2020.

Start with the low hanging fruit. A simple idea that wont cost consumers any money and will improve the air in regional towns in winter.

It was supposed to be in place by the end of the year but has been delayed because threat of legal action.

1100 people die prematurely in Ireland due to poor air quality, primarily due to particulates. Moves to retrofit homes, upgrade heating and move away from petrol/diesel cars are a good thing for health, even if you don't want to address climate change.

Necro wrote: »
    The more worrying thing for me is that people will see FF as a decent alternative, completely disregarding their recent history :(

I myself am becoming much more anti-FG but can't fathom voting for that other shower either

If the local elections proved anything, its that FF are just as toxic as they ever were. It says it all that despite making a mess of going into power with FF, that the Greens are now more forgivable than anyone else, in the absence of anyone else. Labour are just as toxic given what they promised and then what they did when voted in, in 2011.

I am quite surprised that another votable party has not emerged that doesn't have any religious ties or leanings. Politics is in bad shape when all one has is indepedents.

500k retrofits would cost tens of billions.

Modern high density apartment blocks would be more cost effective, with communal facilities and amenities and good public transport connections.

If you can afford a private garden then that's a nice luxury but the resources are not there for it to be a given.

Didn't we already try that in Ballymun?

But yesh high density urban living - nothing quite like it - us humans been at it for about 9000 years - not without its pitfalls. We could learn from history all the same.
    Çatalhöyük: 9,000 years ago, a community with modern urban problems

Scientists studying the ancient ruins of Çatalhöyük, in modern Turkey, found that its inhabitants—3,500 to 8,000 people at its peak—experienced overcrowding, infectious diseases, violence and environmental problems.

Çatalhöyük was one of the first proto-urban communities in the world and the residents experienced what happens when you put many people together in a small area for an extended time," Larsen said.

"It set the stage for where we are today and the challenges we face in urban living."

https://phys.org/news/2019-06-atalhyk-years-modern-urban-problems.amp

Also sounds a bit like China. They're big into bulldozing rural communities and promoting living on top of each other which only seems to benefit developers and land speculators

https://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/books/article/1891355/book-review-human-cost-chinas-rush-urbanisation
    They need to start coming down hard on people burning rubbish. Very common in parts of the countryside. There's a village near here that always smells of plastic fumes.

Indeed 'they're do. The can first tackle the bonfire sites, burnt out cars and the burning of rubbish on plastic on 'waste' ground found all around Irish cities

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Activist-home-attacked-as-illegal-dumping-crisis-intensifies-f3443323-1513-4635-9b1c-51f81eef2ba4-ds

https://www.echo.ie/images/26_October_2017_online_pics/Halloween_Pics/November_2_Online_Pictures/debriscollage.jpg

And dont get me started on those fookers who take a drive in the countryside to dump their rubbish :mad:

Blueshoe wrote: »
    An increase of 75% carbon tax on fossil fuels already being spoken about for October's budget.
    It has begun. Spare a thought for the elderly who will be forced to choose between food or fuel this winter

See they've already got their excuse lined up about how these people will actually end up with more money in their pockets? Ridiculous.

I'm voting Fianna Fail next time.

• Advertisement

It was supposed to be in place by the end of the year but has been delayed because threat of legal action.

1100 people die prematurely in Ireland due to poor air quality,

People die every year. Everyone has a cause of death.

Of course if Ireland wanted to reduce it's impact and allow it's citizens to have the same ****ty standard of living as they do now, they could plan on reducing the population by 1m by 2040 instead of growing it.

So now, we have to make a saving of about 20% of emissions JUST to stay at the same levels we're emitting today. But of course the government (and for some reason a lot of people) would rather increase taxes on everyone, make everyones lives harder instead of making everyones lives easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,656 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

People die every year. Everyone has a cause of death.

What a well-thought-out point.

"People die so let's never address why they die".

In that case, let's halve the health budget and have a massive spending spree.

What a well-thought-out point.

"People die so let's never address why they die".

In that case, let's halve the health budget and have a massive spending spree.

If you live long enough you'll get cancer. So even if you didn't die of air quality, you'll be saying "people die prematurely of cancer".

You think humans lives aren't being shorted by sitting in office chairs for 40+ hours a week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

See they've already got their excuse lined up about how these people will actually end up with more money in their pockets? Ridiculous.

I'm voting Fianna Fail next time.
    They mostly support the carbon tax idea. You need SF/PBP and or any other acronym.

• Advertisement
Advertisement