Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climate Action Plan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,147 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

El_Bee wrote: »
    To all the people saying we need to have fewer kids (and I'm not fully opposed to that btw), how long would the words "Africa & Asia need to begin population control measures" be out of your mouth before your collar is felt for being a nazi?

Well lets look at say Ethiopia, remember the country that couldn't feed itself in 1985 and those nice Irish lads bob and Bonhead helped with Live Aid and Band Aid.
    The population of Ethiopia then was around 40 million.
    Today it is 110 Million.
    How is that sustainable ?

Now I know the major war eventually petered out although they still are kinda at war with Eritrea and they still spend lots of money on arms, but have the droughts stopped, has the climate totally changed in the intervening years ?
    For the life of me can't understand how a million plus cars are going to be charged constantly. Going to be some wait at charging garages.

Ah sure everyone can charge them at home.
    Well so long as you don't live in an apartment, a townhouse or in an on street terrace. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭SirGerryAdams

I see Aer Lingus bought 6 more planes for new routes!

I wonder how many houses you'd have to retrofit to the balls just to make up for the emissions these throw out or the number of cars you'd have to take off the road?!!!

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2019/0618/1056063-aer-lingus-new-airbus-planes/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

I see Aer Lingus bought 6 more planes for new routes!

I wonder how many houses you'd have to retrofit to the balls just to make up for the emissions these throw out or the number of cars you'd have to take off the road?!!!

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2019/0618/1056063-aer-lingus-new-airbus-planes/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭howiya

Is there anything in the plan to incentivise landlords to improve the energy efficiency of their properties?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,739 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

howiya wrote: »
    Is there anything in the plan to incentivise landlords to improve the energy efficiency of their properties?

Even if there is, it'll just be passed on to the tenant anyway - as if there's not enough issues with the rental market!

Then there's the BTL landlords who maybe haven't set foot in the place since they bought it. Can't see them spending a fortune on a house they've never lived in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Hector Ring

The elephant in the room here as far as I can see is that in this country those charged with implementing policy are not up to the job. It has been mentioned that this is a €50bn. project but if the scale of the cost overrun on our world famous NCH is duplicated it will end up costing €300bn. which individual households will be expected to pay. But this being Ireland we will first be screwed to the floor with carbon taxes and regulations while the Nirvana towards which we are to be "nudged" collapses into a chaotic morass of incompetence, over promising and arse covering. Yes we will become world leaders as the Green Party are urging us to be but not as the glowing example to the rest of the world they envisage, " Jump, twil be grand " is not a very convincing policy. So perhaps instead of nudging us off a cliff with the cattle prod of taxation and restriction the government should put alternatives in place which I think most people would be happy to adopt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

jmayo wrote: »
    Well lets look at say Ethiopia, remember the country that couldn't feed itself in 1985 and those nice Irish lads bob and Bonhead helped with Live Aid and Band Aid.
    The population of Ethiopia then was around 40 million.
    Today it is 110 Million.
    How is that sustainable ?
    If we look at the continent of Africa, there will be an additional 1 BILLION people there in the next 30 years. How is that sustainable?
    In 30 years from now, the population of Nigeria will be over 400 MILLION people.

Fine Gael's Brian Hayes made a statement about turning Nigeria's huge population increase to Ireland's advantage. Link: https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/brian-hayes-eu-could-disintegrate-on-back-of-migration-policy-failure-1.2410453

Always wondered what he meant by that? Should Ireland take in an additional 10 MILLION Nigerians? How could we turn Nigeria's population increase to Ireland's advantage. Currently 55% to 60% of Africans living in Ireland are not working. How is this benefiting the country?
    You just have to wonder sometimes about the mindset of these liberal elitist politicians in Brussels. They live in some type of parallel Universe that has no logical connection to the rest of us .............. a kind of Twilight Zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Kivaro wrote: »
    If we look at the continent of Africa, there will be an additional 1 BILLION people there in the next 30 years. How is that sustainable?
    In 30 years from now, the population of Nigeria will be over 400 MILLION people.

Fine Gael's Brian Hayes made a statement about turning Nigeria's huge population increase to Ireland's advantage. Link: https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/brian-hayes-eu-could-disintegrate-on-back-of-migration-policy-failure-1.2410453

Always wondered what he meant by that? Should Ireland take in an additional 10 MILLION Nigerians? How could we turn Nigeria's population increase to Ireland's advantage. Currently 55% to 60% of Africans living in Ireland are not working. How is this benefiting the country?
    You just have to wonder sometimes about the mindset of these liberal elitist politicians in Brussels. They live in some type of parallel Universe that has no logical connection to the rest of us .............. a kind of Twilight Zone.

i imagine its only a matter of time before the americans get sick of the middle east and head south in the quest for freedom :rolleyes:

everyone would have expected trump to get the ball rolling but he is to busy on twitter i imagine :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

There will be grants, as yet undefined in size, to help encourage people to retrofit. I'm guessing landlords will be able to set it all against tax as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Kivaro wrote: »
    How could we turn Nigeria's population increase to Ireland's advantage.

Increased Guinness sales I presume.

• Advertisement

is_that_so wrote: »
    There will be grants, as yet undefined in size, to help encourage people to retrofit. I'm guessing landlords will be able to set it all against tax as well.

So unless a landlord is willing to invest in their property, tenants will be faced with increased energy bills along with increasing rent?

So unless a landlord is willing to invest in their property, tenants will be faced with increased energy bills along with increasing rent?
    New builds will be up to spec. It's all that planned retrofitting, some of which is already underway anyway. Rents will stabilise and in time drift downwards as supply sorts itself out. I'd say at the end of all of this great plan there will probably be a rump left over and as long as it's not too big some coercion may need to be applied to the laggards like say making it illegal to have a domestic BER lower than say a B and illegal not to have a BER for a rental property.

New builds will be up to spec. It's all that planned retrofitting, some of which is already underway anyway. Rents will stabilise and in time drift downwards as supply sorts itself out. I'd say at the end of all of this great plan there will probably be a rump left over and as long as it's not too big some coercion may need to be applied to the laggards like say making it illegal to have a domestic BER lower than say a B and illegal not to have a BER for a rental property.

Any timeframe in this great plan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭d8491prj5boyvg

Needs more of the carrot than the stick initially and the governance thing is essential. Good in principle and some clear targets but we'll see.:)

Stick all the way!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

It's Ireland so somewhere between 50 years and never.

Blueshoe wrote: »
    It's Ireland so somewhere between 50 years and never.

Yet the carbon tax increase will likely come in in the next budget or two

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Bahahaha! Have to set a fire under landlords here to get them to replace anything that's no longer fit for use let alone making improvements large and small that doesn't benefit them or puts cash in their pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Rocks would be formed in less time.

The US is facing astronomical costs - in the hundreds of billions of dollars - if it wants to protect existing coastal communities from flooding. What's more likely, however, is that most of these communities will be evacuated and the billions will be invested in defending more populated areas like Lower Manhattan. Disturbing research published in the NYT:

With More Storms and Rising Seas, Which U.S. Cities Should Be Saved First? (19 June 2019)

What places in Ireland are going to be similarly threatened?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

mad muffin wrote: »
    Ireland… there’s a million cows farting in this field. We need to do our bit.

Takes one cow out

Job done…

Absolutely laughable. As if Ireland lives in its own bubble. Climate change. The environment. Pollution. It’s a global issue that needs a global initiative. And the big polluters need to really start doing the heavy lifting and making the hard choices for out entire planet.

Every country doing piecemeal will not work.

Except cows rarely fart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,323 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

The US is facing astronomical costs - in the hundreds of billions of dollars - if it wants to protect existing coastal communities from flooding. What's more likely, however, is that most of these communities will be evacuated and the billions will be invested in defending more populated areas like Lower Manhattan. Disturbing research published in the NYT:

With More Storms and Rising Seas, Which U.S. Cities Should Be Saved First? (19 June 2019)

What places in Ireland are going to be similarly threatened?

dublin, cork, waterford, limerick, galway belfast, pretty much every major town on the coast in ireland
    http://flood.firetree.net/

even a 1m rise in sea levels will be pretty devastating (my house is fine upto 60m so just need to buy a boat)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Apparently according to RTE the ESRI have said carbon taxes and property tax need to be raised to prevent the economy “ overheating”.

Truth in this or just an RTE/ESRI/government tactic to brainwash the voters further?

Officially 2030 on most of it, with 5 year milestones. Lots of parts to coordinate and some of it may work out better than other parts. I hope the retrofitting is one of the successful parts.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Apparently according to RTE the ESRI have said carbon taxes and property tax need to be raised to prevent the economy “ overheating”.

Truth in this or just an RTE/ESRI/government tactic to brainwash the voters further?
    We are close to full employment and an economy at full capacity. They are just adding a warning about the likes of tax cuts making more cash available. Noonan tended to ignore the IFAC as they were very very cautious. I'd say the carbon tax is coming anyway but, and the ESRI mentions this, a no-deal Brexit produces a very different Budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Officially 2030 on most of it, with 5 year milestones. Lots of parts to coordinate and some of it may work out better than other parts. I hope the retrofitting is one of the successful parts.

Maybe Dinny O'Bribe will get into the retrofitting business, it will be compulsory then.

Maybe Dinny O'Bribe will get into the retrofitting business, it will be compulsory then.
    It'll more likely be the approved fitters approach registered under the auspices of the SEAI.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

How is a cleaner Ireland not a good thing?

Im saying pointless on a global scale. Ireland might be 100% green but it cannot affect the world climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,364 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Im saying pointless on a global scale. Ireland might be 100% green but it cannot affect the world climate.

So what's the solution?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭SirGerryAdams

I wish people just realised that humans and consumption means climate change is inevitable.

You can't expect us to consume the same amount of resources yet not impact the planet.

All this talk about sustainability is fluff! What was it they said, we need to act to keep the temperature increase below 2 degree a year or something? It's not like the freezing point of ice gets higher every year so how is a temperature increase of any kind not killing the planet??

• Advertisement

I hope it’s successful too but reality is that people who rent will begin paying higher energy prices, carbon tax etc long before there is any action taken to improve the dwellings they are renting. It’s just a tax grab.

Advertisement