Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climate Action Plan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

Boggles wrote: »
    They said the same thing about the spinning jenny.

All though that did increase slavery.

In previous eras, new industries grew to accommodate the displacement from obsolete ones, as automation & ai improve, new industries will be automated from the beginning, it wont be like lamplighters being replaced by electricians, the electricians will be robots, built by robots & maintained by robots. All of which sounds like fantasy I know, but if you told people in 2000 they'd be getting their pizza's delivered by robotic miniature helicopters, you'd be laughed at.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

60 lorry loads of concrete in each base of the ones built near me, thats a lot of c02 to recover right there

the funniest section for me is

start the electrification NOW ! by the time new trains are procured you wont need hybrid trains
    There's the problem of the number of zeroes that get attached to huge projects like that and how twitchy we are about such numbers. Gotta be steady as she goes I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,954 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

El_Bee wrote: »
    In previous eras, new industries grew to accommodate the displacement from obsolete ones, as automation & ai improve, new industries will be automated from the beginning, it wont be like lamplighters being replaced by electricians, the electricians will be robots, built by robots & maintained by robots. All of which sounds like fantasy I know, but if you told people in 2000 they'd be getting their pizza's delivered by robotic miniature helicopters, you'd be laughed at.

I seriously think this is a major overaction, the whole idea of these messages in the media is for votes

The green party arrived out of nowhere in the local and European elections this is there way of tapping into them votes, not many will buy into these ideas because everyone knows they are too incompetent

There will be plenty of banngers driving around the place soaked to the last in green deisel in 20 years time

• Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

is_that_so wrote: »
    You'll have to do it yourself but with grants. It's already going on now AFAIK. Mandatory heat pumps are for new builds from 2025.

Many households don't have the cash or finances to fund any of this stuff. Grants only cover a portion of the cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

namloc1980 wrote:
    Many households don't have the cash or finances to fund any of this stuff. Grants only cover a portion of the cost.

Grants will be swallowed up as profit.

• Advertisement

namloc1980 wrote: »
    But can afford their current energy waste? There'll be more ways of encouraging it including I would say payment plans rolled up into bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

fergus1001 wrote: »
    we need to plant more trees we have missed our national planting target for the last few years by more than half

Plant trees? Are ye joking? The trees are being cut down to make way for 5G. Trees get in the way of 5G so we don't want them.

Emme wrote: »
    Plant trees? Are ye joking? The trees are being cut down to make way for 5G. Trees get in the way of 5G so we don't want them.
    Section 11 of the plan p.95 onwards.

From the Executive Summary on p. 10
    Deliver expansion of forestry planting and soil management to ensure that carbon
    abatement from land-use is delivered over the period 2021 to 2030 and in the years beyond

You can get the full plan from here.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/5350ae-climate-action-plan/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

You'll have to do it yourself but with grants. It's already going on now AFAIK. Mandatory heat pumps are for new builds from 2025.

i think you would be foolish not to put one in anyway imo

Currently planning my own house here now

But can afford their current energy waste? There'll be more ways of encouraging it including I would say payment plans rolled up into bills.

It's an upfront capital cost. Those heat pump systems are €8k-€10k and can cost more to retrofit and make existing homes compatible. Many households don't have that sort of cash lying around. And a grant will be what c.30% at most. Lashing it on to bills will make bills even more expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

To get the full house kitted with over and insulation etc they said 70k this morning on Sean o Rourke.

It's an upfront capital cost. Those heat pump systems are €8k-€10k and can cost more to retrofit and make existing homes compatible. Many households don't have that sort of cash lying around. And a grant will be what c.30% at most. Lashing it on to bills will make bills even more expensive.
    Cost at present without grants? Oh I think it's do it in stages approach. Start with the insulation as it benefits both the householders and the overall energy equation. I don't expect the heat pumps to gain traction for a few years anyway. I think there may need to be pretty generous grants regardless or a mechanism whereby that upfront cost is met by an extended payment period.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,438 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

What we do is essentially pointless unless China,India and USA follow suit and almost certainly they won't.

Still doesn't mean we shouldn't have a greener country but it's all a waste of time when the big countries causing most of the problems don't give a ****.

Also surely there need to be policies to start reducing the worlds population all of the environmental problems stem from over consumption which stems from too many people being on the planet.The best thing a person can actually do for the environment is to not have children.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_carbon_dioxide_emissions_per_capita

Ireland's per capita emissions at 7.3 are only just behind China's at 7.5.

India is only at 1.7, it is hardly the fault of the average person living in India.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

To get the full house kitted with over and insulation etc they said 70k this morning on Sean o Rourke.

I think I need to get into this 'green' business.

Seems to be nice coin to be made.

Nice one. €70k to retrofit the house and another €30k for an EV outside the door. Can't wait!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

There'll be longer queues to charge these electric cars than with an oil crisis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Nice one. €70k to retrofit the house and another €30k for an EV outside the door. Can't wait!!

You'll be paying about €200 a month for bins and 3 quid a liter of diesel by that stage too. This country needs burned to the ground and started again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

I seriously think this is a major overaction, the whole idea of these messages in the media is for votes

The green party arrived out of nowhere in the local and European elections this is there way of tapping into them votes, not many will buy into these ideas because everyone knows they are too incompetent

There will be plenty of banngers driving around the place soaked to the last in green deisel in 20 years time

They came back from annihilation, rock bottom, enough people forgot about their affair with FF for them to land a few council seats. If you were to listen to comrade Ryan you would think it was a landslide.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

blanch152 wrote: »
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_carbon_dioxide_emissions_per_capita

Ireland's per capita emissions at 7.3 are only just behind China's at 7.5.

India is only at 1.7, it is hardly the fault of the average person living in India.

context is everything

the main causes of emissions in Ireland and China are very different

and in no country is it the fault of an average person in that country

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

I can only imagine how expensive they would be to install in areas where bedrock is close to the surface, large parts of the west of Ireland for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

You'll be paying about €200 a month for bins and 3 quid a liter of diesel by that stage too. This country needs burned to the ground and started again.

In the scheme of things it's not that long ago that there were no cars. Time to go back to the ass and cart or the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Are they taking over the world?

Yes, its like the walking dead

Sawduck wrote: »
    Yes, its like the walking dead
    Wishful thinking really on their part.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

For the life of me can't understand how a million plus cars are going to be charged constantly. Going to be some wait at charging garages.

For the life of me can't understand how a million plus cars are going to be charged constantly. Going to be some wait at charging garages.
    Who knows what the tech will look like in 10 years. Remember the iPhone is just about that old.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Who knows what the tech will look like in 10 years. Remember the iPhone is just about that old.

Does this affect hybrids as well

Does this affect hybrids as well
    I guess it depends how the market develops and what the demand is. Manufacturers will be doing both for the foreseeable future I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Will all these car batteries be good for the environment.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I think you massively over-estimate how much of the time an average car is actually in use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

vriesmays wrote:
    Will all these car batteries be good for the environment.

Of course they won't be, but there's no such thing as a waste free energy source

Advertisement