Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wesley College granted 150,000 in government grants to resurface their hockey pitch.

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    that is the most ridiculous argument ever
    the STATE pays for the salaries of all the teacher

Incorrect. 100% incorrect.

The DES pays the salaries of the teachers employed by the DES to teach in the school. The school pays the salaries of the teachers employed directly by the school.

Yet more corporate welfare; great to see our taxes being handed to private businesses to enhance their value rather than invested in publicly owned schools.

What a really bad joke is the fact that only c. 15% of all Irish schools are owned by the Irish state but our taxes are used to perpetuate the existing private businesses which own our schools (most of the 85% of schools that are privately owned are not fee-charging, even though people wrongly equate fee-charging schools with private schools).

the Royal Irish Yacht Club, whose first commodore was the Prince of Wales, received €25k as well.

i thought you might like to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭joe stodge

my kids cant even get a permanent school building.

despite the department of education promising it would have been finished in 2016, then 2017 and now were in 2018 and it hasn't even been started yet.

the builder is now looking for the land that the 2 prefab schools are on back as he has built everywhere else.

but its nice to hear they've got €150,000 for a hockey pitch resurfacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,735 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Aegir wrote: »
    the Royal Irish Yacht Club, whose first commodore was the Prince of Wales, received €25k as well.

i thought you might like to know.

Good point, having a look at the list it looks like nearly every yacht club in the country received funding in some regard, many of the oldest clubs would similarly have been founded by English royalty or members of the peerage.

Would love to see Fuaranch's reaction to what I assume they consider a betrayal of our countries heritage or some other garbage

• Registered Users Posts: 17,735 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

joe stodge wrote: »
    my kids cant even get a permanent school building.

despite the department of education promising it would have been finished in 2016, then 2017 and now were in 2018 and it hasn't even been started yet.

the builder is now looking for the land that the 2 prefab schools are on back as he has built everywhere else.

but its nice to hear they've got €150,000 for a hockey pitch resurfacing.

Well this is from the department of sports so i think your problem might be outside their scope

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Gatling wrote: »
    Key words Our Taxes

, Their taxes , everyones taxes

They likely pay more into tax pot than most others ,

They're kids aren't they? I don't think that's quite true.

VinLieger wrote: »
    Well this is from the department of sports so i think your problem might be outside their scope

and these pitches aren't just used by the schools.

I know a private school near me was given a big chunk of money to help it build a water based pitch a few years ago. it is the only one of its kind in Ireland and is the standard for international hockey matches.

The Irish national teams now have somewhere they can train and play matches that is of international standard and without it, they would probably have had to go to the UK to train prior to the Brazil Olympics.

Incidentally, the department of education effectively forced three local schools to merge, on the basis it would fund new buildings. twenty years later, they still have some of the original pre fabs in use.

Advertisement