Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wesley College granted 150,000 in government grants to resurface their hockey pitch.

Options
  • 11-03-2018 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭

https://twitter.com/Shane_RossTD/status/972174105456861185?s=09

I'm sure a fee paying school needed that grant. What with their establishment of

4 Rugby pitches
    1 floodlit Rugby grid
    1 Soccer pitch
    2 full size Hockey astro-turf pitches
    2 mini Hockey pitches
    2 full size Hockey grit pitches
    16 Tennis courts during the Summer season
    2 Cricket pitches
    2 outdoor Basketball courts
    1 gymnasium
    1 sports hall

Poor mites.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

https://twitter.com/Shane_RossTD/status/972174105456861185?s=09

I'm sure a fee paying school needed that grant. What with their establishment of

4 Rugby pitches
    1 floodlit Rugby grid
    1 Soccer pitch
    2 full size Hockey astro-turf pitches
    2 mini Hockey pitches
    2 full size Hockey grit pitches
    16 Tennis courts during the Summer season
    2 Cricket pitches
    2 outdoor Basketball courts
    1 gymnasium
    1 sports hall

Poor mites.

If they're eligible, they're eligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Ohhh feel the fauxrage ,

They got a grant along with any other number of clubs and schools that also applied ,
    Just under 40 million in grants were handed out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

I don't think the whole 150k will be spent on the new hockey pitch.
    There was also talk of buying coal for the staff room fire as stocks of cash bundles are low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Where do you think the next generation of rugger buggers are going to come from if the state does not invest in private school sport facilities ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Where do you think the next generation of rugger buggers are going to come from if the state does not invest in private school sport facilities ?

Yes I suppose we need them for handbag at dawn slap fights like the one we got the video of a little while ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The pitches can be rented out for the likes of Football, Tag Rugby and yes, even Hockey. A big income puller for schools. My old school has an astro pitch that gets upgraded every few years. It's a business, everyone needing to upgrade facilities to stay competitive against the other pitches.

I think my old schools pitch is about €70 an hour and used probably 4 hours a night. Probably pulls in about 1k a week, likely tax free. Only expenses are electricity and one staff member to take the payment's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

I'm sure 150,000 would have fed a clothed a lot of homeless.

Yet more corporate welfare; great to see our taxes being handed to private businesses to enhance their value rather than invested in publicly owned schools.

What a really bad joke is the fact that only c. 15% of all Irish schools are owned by the Irish state but our taxes are used to perpetuate the existing private businesses which own our schools (most of the 85% of schools that are privately owned are not fee-charging, even though people wrongly equate fee-charging schools with private schools).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,788 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Shane Ross is some pleb.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Good for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Good man Shane Ross, the South County Dublin Healy-Rae.

Yet more corporate welfare; great to see our taxes

Key words Our Taxes

, Their taxes , everyones taxes

They likely pay more into tax pot than most others ,

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Some tax money going back to the middle classes from whence the lions share of tax comes from. Oh the humanity!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭elefant

I'm usually far from the madding crowd of Facebook bleaters reducing everything to 'what about the homeless?', but this does seem a very unnecessary allocation of quite a decent sum to benefit the private interests of a school that already has some of the best facilities in the country.

Of course each school is as entitled as the next to apply for a grant, and I've no qualms with private schools getting some state support, but you'd have to question how this case could be seen as a priority for funding of facilities.

Have they an influential politician in their constituency?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,942 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

elefant wrote: »
    I'm usually far from the madding crowd of Facebook bleaters reducing everything to 'what about the homeless?', but this does seem a very unnecessary allocation of quite a decent sum to benefit the private interests of a school that already has some of the best facilities in the country.

The government has different allocations for different activities. This isn't coming out of the housing budget or the health budget.

People complaining about this should be more outraged by the waste in the health and housing departments, which are both massive compared to the €40m given to numerous schools across the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Schwanz wrote: »
    I'm sure 150,000 would have fed a clothed a lot of homeless.

Are there many naked homeless people living in your area?

Photographic evidence required, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭elefant

Del2005 wrote: »
    The government has different allocations for different activities. This isn't coming out of the housing budget or the health budget.

People complaining about this should be more outraged by the waste in the health and housing departments, which are both massive compared to the €40m given to numerous schools across the country.

I didn't say anything about the housing or health budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

Loreto Beaufort got €150,000 for a new surface for it's hockey pitch. https://twitter.com/Shane_RossTD/status/972180201257013248
    Three Rock Rovers got €150,000 for a new surface for it's hockey pitch. https://twitter.com/Shane_RossTD/status/972176193851133952
    Wesley got €150,000 for a new surface for it's hockey pitch. https://twitter.com/Shane_RossTD/status/972174105456861185

Less than 2.4 miles to walk past the three of them.
    All in the constituency of the Minister for Sport.

I expect an Olympic medal in Paris 2024.

The whole thing stinks to high heaven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

OP

How much money did the Grab All Association get from the Government to upgrade Pairc Ui Chaoimh? €30 million.

€150,000 is chump change.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Improved sports facilities for children.. Theres worse things we could be spending money on

Im just surprised it costs that much to resurface a hockey pitch. That seems insanely expensive.

• Advertisement

OP

How much money did the Grab All Association get from the Government to upgrade Pairc Ui Chaoimh?

Oh, edgy and so original.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Damn proddy sports taking our GAA money! Whenever I see a wain with a hockey bat or a shuttlecock I can visibly see a part of Ireland dying before my eyes. They should all be banished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Let's be honest, this isnt about the money.

Gatling wrote: »
    Key words Our Taxes

, Their taxes , everyones taxes

They likely pay more into tax pot than most others ,

This is the equivalent of demanding that the government should subsidise Mercedes drivers along with a public bus service "because it's likely* the Merc driver pays more taxes". State money should only be spent on a state-owned school system.

* It's likely the Merc driver is, unlike people on lower incomes, also availing of a slew of tax avoidance schemes to reduce the percentage of his income that goes on tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Greybottle wrote: »

Less than 2.4 miles to walk past the three of them.

One is a boys school, one is a girls school and one is a private hockey club. And all are well used, not sitting idle.
    Should they share toilets too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Ajsoprano

One is a boys school, one is a girls school and one is a private hockey club. And all are well used, not sitting idle.
    Should they share toilets too?

I’m only half reading this thread deciding whether I should be angry or not.

Are you suggesting boys and girls sharing hockey facilities is akin to sharing a toilet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

More power to Shane Ross for providing this funding. Those pitches will be valued and used by the current crop of students and many more in years to come. Played hockey on their pitches on many occasions myself. The general public will get use of them also.

This is the equivalent of demanding that the government should subsidise Mercedes drivers along with a public bus service "because it's likely* the Merc driver pays more taxes". State money should only be spent on a state-owned school system.

* It's likely the Merc driver is, unlike people on lower incomes, also availing of a slew of tax avoidance schemes to reduce the percentage of his income that goes on tax.

Not it's more simple they were simply entitled like all the following in Dublin.
    The below are just for Dublin ,
    GAA , local football ,pitches ,
    Lawn mowers at 20+000 plus to name but a few

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Ajsoprano wrote: »
    I’m only half reading this thread deciding whether I should be angry or not.

Are you suggesting boys and girls sharing hockey facilities is akin to sharing a toilet?

No, I am suggesting that just because three utilities are close to each other and are well used is not a reason to deny one or any of them funding.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Ajsoprano

The national yacht club got 150 000 to increase women and children participation?

Advertisement