Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭ExcaliburRisen

A bit late to the party but reserved my ID.3 (and paid deposit) just now (Frank Keane, Deansgrange).
    Was actually expecting to be told the reservations were full but I got a reservation number no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Looks like VW are going to use PCP to sell off the eGolf but also push ID.3 into market....

From €35,995 or €359 per month*

with 0% APR PCP finance and a 3 Year Service Plan. *Monthly rate applies after Government Incentives are included.

New 24-month PCP contract available.
    Zero Emission and now 0% PCP.

Volkswagen’s e-Golf is now available, for a limited period only, with 0% PCP Finance, making this car more affordable and more accessible than ever before. Plus, if you'd like to move from e-Golf to the new electric ID. you will be able to do so easily, thanks to a special new 2-year PCP solution. The 2-year PCP option costs from €399 per month on the e-Golf and €489 per month on the e-Golf Executive Edition.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭McGiver

Shefwedfan wrote:
    Volkswagen’s e-Golf is now available, for a limited period only, with 0% PCP Finance, making this car more affordable and more accessible than ever before. Plus, if you'd like to move from e-Golf to the new electric ID. you will be able to do so easily, thanks to a special new 2-year PCP solution. The 2-year PCP option costs from €399 per month on the e-Golf and €489 per month on the e-Golf Executive Edition.
    How exactly the move to the ID3 will be made easy?

McGiver wrote: »
    How exactly the move to the ID3 will be made easy?

I would guess you swap out of your eGolf PCP into an ID PCP.....any more information you have to contact the dealers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

So realistically they expect ID to be available in Ireland in two years from now... that is quote a delay.

• Advertisement

September1 wrote: »
    So realistically they expect ID to be available in Ireland in two years from now... that is quote a delay.

No, I don't think that is the point of this

What they are doing is getting rid of old eGolf stock. Nobody will buy eGolf now because the new model is coming out soon

This just allows you to buy an eGolf now and you know you have an option to move to ID in 2 years time instead of 3 years with standard PCP contracts.

Getting someone to sign up to a 3 year PCP now on eGolf would be fairly hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

You'd think 2yr would be a hard sell as well. They depreciation on them could be eye watering seen as we'll have the MK8 golf and the ID 3
    You'd want to be guaranteed the future value on the pcp contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Is it possible to put down a reservation for the max-range version?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

No, the reservation is for the ID 1st. The other specs and battery sizes will be made available after (at the same time as?) the reservations are being built. Ordering will probably be as normal through your local dealer, with pretty swift delivery, depending on demand and availability, obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CFC007

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

CFC007 wrote: »

Expected more, but VW will be happy with that

Just enough to make a dent in emission targets and just enough to not make a debt in ICE sales

Well played

I think 20.000 is poor result, we can compare with Tesla which had significantly higher number. We do not know country breakdown but I would expect that in same area Tesla got at least twice as much reservations for M3. On top of that M3 was much less certain to be made, from much less respectful manufacturer and it was not that clear when it will be available.

I think 20.000 is poor result, we can compare with Tesla which had significantly higher number. We do not know country breakdown but I would expect that in same area Tesla got at least twice as much reservations for M3. On top of that M3 was much less certain to be made, from much less respectful manufacturer and it was not that clear when it will be available.

A huge percentage of Model 3 reservations where based on a 35k doller price. Even outside the US a massive amount of people expected the car to be a lot cheaper than it turned out to be. I bet nobody in Ireland expected it to start at 48k after the grants.

It would be interesting to see out of the number of people who reserved the car how many actually bought it.

Also VW have not launched the ID outside of Europe. Model 3 was Worldwide so that kind of makes a difference as a huge amount of reservations for Model 3 was in US, again by all account the uptake of those reservations is unknown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Fitz2011

Considering it’s only the reservations for Europe. I don’t think 20,000 is bad. They will definitely sell the 30,000 before we see the car in September. The really test will be turning them in to actual sales. If the spec isn’t great I’ll cancel my order and re order when I can choose my own spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭sk8board

The facts don’t support that argument.
    Firstly, Tesla have no production issues now and have cleared the backlog of orders - and clearly there’s no backlog now either if I can order one for delivery at my back door here in Ireland in July. The early adopters and fanboys have got their Tesla’s and the mass market isn’t biting at the ridiculous pricing.

Next, the monthly data for EV deliveries for the EU are usually collated by these guys: https://cleantechnica.com/2019/06/03/electric-vehicle-sales-up-70-in-europe-april-ev-sales-report/
    The Zoe outsold the model 3 in April, and the m3 delivered just over 3000 units EU wide.
    Like the US, it dropped significantly after the initial March deliveries to early adopters and fanboys - many of whom probably had deposits for 3 years.

I think VW have done a great job with the ID3, if and and only if, they can get the pricing right, and that would be the very first EV to do so, so I’m not exactly holding my breadth.
    We have a golf coming out of pcp next year, and if the pricing is remotely sensible, I’d order one for sure.

sk8board wrote: »
    The facts don’t support that argument.
    Firstly, Tesla have no production issues now and have cleared the backlog of orders - and clearly there’s no backlog now either if I can order one for delivery at my back door here in Ireland in July. The early adopters and fanboys have got their Tesla’s and the mass market isn’t biting at the ridiculous pricing.

Next, the monthly data for EV deliveries for the EU are usually collated by these guys: https://cleantechnica.com/2019/06/03/electric-vehicle-sales-up-70-in-europe-april-ev-sales-report/
    The Zoe outsold the model 3 in April, and the m3 delivered just over 3000 units EU wide.
    Like the US, it dropped significantly after the initial March deliveries to early adopters and fanboys - many of whom probably had deposits for 3 years.

I think VW have done a great job with the ID3, if and and only if, they can get the pricing right, and that would be the very first EV to do so, so I’m not exactly holding my breadth.
    We have a golf coming out of pcp next year, and if the pricing is remotely sensible, I’d order one for sure.

Which facts? Ones you mentioned were about delivery of model 3, not about reservations that were made much earlier. Are there any sources that confirm that European model 3 reservations after opening of reservations were in such low numbers as VW?

Which facts? Ones you mentioned were about delivery of model 3, not about reservations that were made much earlier. Are there any sources that confirm that European model 3 reservations after opening of reservations were in such low numbers as VW?

20k is low?

As I said a huge percentage of Model 3 reservation got made on the back of low pricing

Getting correct numbers out of Tesla was always hard so doubt you would get anything realistically correct

• Registered Users Posts: 64,915 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Getting correct numbers out of Tesla was always hard so doubt you would get anything realistically correct

Sure Volkswagen would never lie or cheat? :p

I too feel the 20k after all this time is quite low. And I'm one of that 20k. It is very unlikely that I will buy the car if it will be over €30k on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭catharsis

unkel wrote: »
    Sure Volkswagen would never lie or cheat? :p

you mean like like stating that they had funding secured to take the company private at $420 ? :-)

I am surprised at the 20K number and regard it as somewhat low also.

catharsis wrote: »
    you mean like like stating that they had funding secured to take the company private at $420 ? :-)

Emissions secured at 120g/km more like :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭McGiver

unkel wrote:
    I too feel the 20k after all this time is quite low. And I'm one of that 20k. It is very unlikely that I will buy the car if it will be over €30k on the road.
    No way it's going to be 30k.

Didn't they say <40k (i.e. 39999) at the launch press conference?

39,990 incl. German VAT
    41,334 incl. Irish VAT difference
    47,211 incl. Irish VRT
    - 5,000 VRT exemption
    - 5,000 SEAI grant

Realistically 38k including delivery charge.
    And that's before we get into extras for which VW charge fortune in Ireland.

Yeah I know :(

I'm glad the world and his wife now know we will all be driving full EVs soon. That is new. This time last year that sense wasn't ubiquitous. The pace at which this is going is very disappointingly slow though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

timsey tiger - Blackwater Motors Cork

McGiver wrote: »
    No way it's going to be 30k.

Didn't they say <40k (i.e. 39999) at the launch press conference?

39,990 incl. German VAT
    41,334 incl. Irish VAT difference
    47,211 incl. Irish VRT
    - 5,000 VRT exemption
    - 5,000 SEAI grant

Realistically 38k including delivery charge.
    And that's before we get into extras for which VW charge fortune in Ireland.

I would tend to agree with that pricing. The VRT and VAT calculator rarely lies, as we know with all existing EV's. the early adopters are paying over the odds completely, even after grants, just to save on 90% of their fuel bill.

There simply HAS to be financial incentives, just like in Norway, if we want adoption to improve here (2.4% of new registrations in 2019, 6-8 years after the leaf was released - and most of those Gen 1 leaf drivers are on their 2nd or 3rd EV - I'll bet there's plenty cannibalisation in those sales).

My fuel bill last year was about €1,100 (about 12,000km pa).
    A €40k kona is quiet simply a really poor financial decision. The grants are going to the manufacturers, via the early adopters.

All the current crop of EV releases have one thing in common - EV-aware people are waiting for sometimes years for its arrival and buy it when its released - and then the sales drop off significantly.

Irish people don't care any less about the planet than Norwegians, but there's simply no economic reason for the Irish mass market to adopt to EV's.

Their was always a large stick in Norway against fossil cars, even before there were any EVs. So they removed the stick and held up a small carrot for EV owners and that was all it took

In Ireland there has never been much of a stick against diesel cars. In fact diesel owners got a large carrot with subsidied cars, subsidied fuel and subsidised motor tax after the VRT / VAT system went CO2 based in 2008. And diesel is the only car fuel in Ireland that a company can claim back VAT on. Absurd!

The stick is more effective than the carrot. Double the VRT on the purchase of a new diesel car in 2020, and nobody will buy one anymore, simples...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

You can get the vat back on this as well as the free bik if I'm reading it right. That'll make it very appealing for business. Just need to be doing 60% business use. Accelerated capital payments back as well is it just 3k in the first year or 3k every year.
    Never had a company car before as the bik was always off-putting for the kinda cars I drive.

unkel wrote: »
    In Ireland there has never been much of a stick against diesel cars. In fact diesel owners got a large carrot with subsidied cars, subsidied fuel and subsidised motor tax after the VRT / VAT system went CO2 based in 2008. And diesel is the only car fuel in Ireland that a company can claim back VAT on. Absurd!

The stick is more effective than the carrot. Double the VRT on the purchase of a new diesel car in 2020, and nobody will buy one anymore, simples...

completely and utterly agree - its a silly situation. I haven't a clue how much Co2 my car emits, but i know its €200 to tax and diesel is cheaper at the pump. Its the cheapest car I've ever run.

Change both of those 2 things, and offer something on the EV side to reduce the new EV price much closer to the equivalent ICE version of the same car, and hey presto I'm all in :)

Traditionally we've paid more for diesels models V petrol, for no obvious reason but the promise of lower running costs, but only by a few €k.

The EV to ICE price gap is simply too wide for the mass market to swallow.

Did anyone enter the competition for an all expenses trip to see the I.D. 3 at the home of VW? Hopefully some boardies get to go and report back

I found out yesterday from VW that I was picked to go over to Wolfsburg in July to see the pre production ID.3 all expensed by VW. Is anyone else here going?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Aww what a pity you can't go because you're working. I'll look after that for you... you're welcome. :D:D

Advertisement