Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any 530e owners out there?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭the corpo

Forgive my ignorance on this, but the reason we haven't yet got a charger in is because we were told our house would need to be rewired before a sparks could sign off it.
    There's nothing wrong with the wiring, but we were told that the installer just wouldn't be able to certify if. Does this change mentioned above negate that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Does the 530e normally come with both cables?

The dealer is telling me that the car only comes with the "granny cable" as standard?

Is that the case or should I be pushing to get the other cable as well?

Failing that - Where is the best place to pick up a cable for public charging use or for a home charger when I get around to it?

Cheers.

The dealer is correct. Only comes with the granny cable as standard.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

mickdw wrote: »
    I think a change of wiring rules was required to allow that direct supply from meter box. Must be in force now!
    There are down sides with this in terms of safety. If the home owner turns off the main switch on consumer unit, many would assume that all is then off but clearly car supply is still active.
    You could then get a cowboy homeowner who.might think the car supply is a good place to take a feed off for a light in the shed. Same issue - shed live when main switch is off.
    I know charge point comes with a big red isolator switch but there is no accounting for idiots.
    OmegaRed wrote: »
    Yup, the sparks that did it for me said the rules had only changed in the last few weeks when he hooked it directly to the direct supply.

I now have two main switches in the box, one for the house and one for the charger. My house was only built last year so thankfully everything is pretty slick when it came to the wiring, even a separate line for the shed directly into the CU.

The clarification came in the March newsletter to REC’s.
    There are strict regulations to the placement of warning labels in the CU and the MC about the EVSE still being live after a shut down of the main switch in the CU but of course, as mentioned above, you can’t legislate for idiots that will remove these.

Does the 530e normally come with both cables?

The dealer is telling me that the car only comes with the "granny cable" as standard?

Is that the case or should I be pushing to get the other cable as well?

Failing that - Where is the best place to pick up a cable for public charging use or for a home charger when I get around to it?

Cheers.

Granny cable only.
    Type 2 cable to be purchased separately.

the corpo wrote: »
    Forgive my ignorance on this, but the reason we haven't yet got a charger in is because we were told our house would need to be rewired before a sparks could sign off it.
    There's nothing wrong with the wiring, but we were told that the installer just wouldn't be able to certify if. Does this change mentioned above negate that?

No. He still need to certify the addition of a 32a appliance (The EVSE).
    There must be some reason why they can sign off?

Did you ask him exactly what’s wrong with the existing house?
    Where was it built and is it the original wiring set up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Has anyone any idea how long the SEAI take to actually pay out the grant for the charger, once all the paperwork has been submitted?
    Sent mine in about six weeks ago and haven't heard a dickie bird since.
    Nigel Daly did the install so I hope he's fairly on the ball with sending in his half of the documentation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

milltown wrote: »
    Has anyone any idea how long the SEAI take to actually pay out the grant for the charger, once all the paperwork has been submitted?
    Nigel Daly did the install so I hope he's fairly on the ball with sending in his half of the documentation.

I think it was around 7-8 weeks for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

Over 9 weeks here.

About 8 weeks currently.
    The delay is WFH and then the cross check with ESB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

Gumbo wrote: »
    About 8 weeks currently.
    The delay is WFH and then the cross check with ESB.

Only out mine in the post about a week ago.... Hope it doesn't take that long

• Advertisement

My info based on payment a few weeks back so fairly up to date.
    Don’t worry, it will come.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

I received mine 2 weeks ago, but it did take 9 weeks, perhaps that’s the new normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭galaxy12

We saved planning to go for a 330e and 181/2 models which are around 25 k now but I now realize that the boot space in those is only around 365 ltrs and so wouldn't be suitable for family trips given the cramped boot space .

So looking at used 530e . Budget wise 3 years old we models suit us and there are a few nice looking 181 models which are in the market @ around 30k.

Wanted to ask if there is a big difference between m sport and se 530e models in driving when most of the driving is in town .

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭SummerK

galaxy12 wrote: »
    Wanted to ask if there is a big difference between m sport and se 530e models in driving when most of the driving is in town .
    MSport and SE have same suspension but SE one's have 18inch wheels which offers better ride quality in city and on motorways. SE seats don't have extending under thigh support for driver/passengers. Also Msport adds better brakes apart from adding visual improvements & a thick steering wheel.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Delivery is delayed on my car :-(

I had hoped to be picking it up tomorrow or Saturday , but apparently the VRT guys have not yet provided a Statistical code for my car so the dealer can't get it registered.

It's a 192 M Sport + with Xdrive which apparently they didn't have a code for.

Hopefully will get it sorted by Monday or Tuesday , but disappointed - Was looking forward to having it for the week-end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

galaxy12 wrote: »
    We saved planning to go for a 330e and 181/2 models which are around 25 k now but I now realize that the boot space in those is only around 365 ltrs and so wouldn't be suitable for family trips given the cramped boot space .

So looking at used 530e . Budget wise 3 years old we models suit us and there are a few nice looking 181 models which are in the market @ around 30k.

530e boot space isn't massive, 410 litres (530 in the ICE version). I got roof bars and a 420l roof box to make up for the loss of space that I only really need a few times a year.
    For day to day stuff (big weekly shop etc) the standard 530e boot is fine for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭galaxy12

Yakuza wrote: »
    530e boot space isn't massive, 410 litres (530 in the ICE version). I got roof bars and a 420l roof box to make up for the loss of space that I only really need a few times a year.
    For day to day stuff (big weekly shop etc) the standard 530e boot is fine for us.

Thanks yazuka.
    Yes we checked a 530e over the weekend and realize that boot space will be similar or lower than my current Mondeo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Mike9832 wrote: »
    I'd hold out for one of these :)

35kWh M140e

400bhp total, 100km range

https://www.motor1.com/news/364129/bmw-m140e-electrified-hot-hatch/

Wow that’s tempting.... anyone want to buy at 191 model??

Hey Folks,

Wonder can anyone help with the 2 questions below, Ev specfic and BMW specific

Looking to buy a smaller legth type 2 charging cable to keep in the car when out and about. do they do 2.5 meters or just 5 meter cables and where would i pick one up at best value price?

The 2nd quetsion is some bad news. I hit debri on the road a week ago and scuffed up the M performance front defuser / splitter (Raging). Anyone know where I could potentially source a replacement please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Maddic_Irl

Hey Folks,

Looking to buy a smaller legth type 2 charging cable to keep in the car when out and about. do they do 2.5 meters or just 5 meter cables and where would i pick one up at best value price?

The 2nd quetsion is some bad news. I hit debri on the road a week ago and scuffed up the M performance front defuser / splitter (Raging). Anyone know where I could potentially source a replacement please?

Got my black kidney grill from this crowd, not sure if they have the splitter you are looking for but worth a look.

https://www.schmiedmann.com

Hey Folks,

Smaller cable will be worthless to you while out and about. Sometimes 5m is a nuisance depending on charger location relative to the parking spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭digiman

Is it possible to get driving stats on a 530e with idrive6?

Like how many kms have been driven on electric since the start and also since you last reset? Also be interesting to see how many KW have been added and the efficiency of the car while on electric and while on petrol?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

AidenL wrote: »
    I might have to sell my 211 530e Drive - my wife is finding it a bit too big for her and I only drive it briefly at weekends.

Only 4500 km up, I wonder what would be the best way to move it on? I presume I'd be taking a massive depreciation hit anyway selling so soon.

Its probably too expensive to sell straight, maybe Zucar or similar?

Any thoughts?
    You will get hammered beyond belief unless you can find a private buyer.
    Id try a truthful ad for a private sale.

I might have to sell my 211 530e Drive - my wife is finding it a bit too big for her and I only drive it briefly at weekends.

Only 4500 km up, I wonder what would be the best way to move it on? I presume I'd be taking a massive depreciation hit anyway selling so soon.

Its probably too expensive to sell straight, maybe Zucar or similar?

Any thoughts?

What’s the colour and spec?

Yep, I would imagine so. She might have to stick with it.

Phytonic Blue and Ivory, has HK, HUD, Laser Lights, 20" M Sport Alloys, Tinted rear windows, advanced parking, open pore ash wood.

Its a nice spec, I love the car, but she's just not comfy with the size. I don't want to sell it. But happy wife, happy life.

It’s a really nice spec, I’d say try some of the independent dealers like Lewis Motors as well. They are all crying out for cars to sell, the fact that the EV grant is going this month you might lose as much as you would have.

What you going to buy to replace it? Bargain hard on the trade in I suppose as well, will be difficult to sell privately.

• Advertisement

Phytonic Blue and Ivory, has HK, HUD, Laser Lights, 20" M Sport Alloys, Tinted rear windows, advanced parking, open pore ash wood.

Its a nice spec, I love the car, but she's just not comfy with the size. I don't want to sell it. But happy wife, happy life.

I got mine of https://www.a1autos.ie/ and i know they are always look for decent spec cars like 530e to buy and sell on. Ross was a sound chap and it could be a really easy flip for them if the price is right for everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

That is a lovely spec.

You'll get interest alright as it's got everything alot of people don't.
    But you'll get hammered with selling it now.

Could it be seating position and mirror setup in the car making it feel to big for her?
    But if she's not comfortable it's hard to change her mind, she will always complain about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Lovely spec, I wouldnt even ask what that cost.
    Have you considered getting rid of the wife instead :)

digiman wrote: »
    Is it possible to get driving stats on a 530e with idrive6?

Like how many kms have been driven on electric since the start and also since you last reset? Also be interesting to see how many KW have been added and the efficiency of the car while on electric and while on petrol?

Bumping this one, hoping someone can help!

Not loving the new app BMW have forced us onto here.
    I haven't noticed a single thing it does better than the old one.
    Worst of all is that, as far as I can tell they have gotten rid of the climatise now option. I got a lot more use out of it than the timer options as I work a different mix of day and night shifts each week.

Am I missing anything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Kramer

Not loving the new app BMW have forced us onto here....as far as I can tell they have gotten rid of the climatise now option.

Am I missing anything?

7DQ3AV0.jpg

digiman wrote: »
    Bumping this one, hoping someone can help!
    Would love to see these stats but I don't think they are there

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Would love to see these stats but I don't think they are there

They are there in iDrive 7 don't know about iDrive 6 though...

They are there in iDrive 7 don't know about iDrive 6 though...

Yeah, I seen them in a 330e which has ID7. Annoying that they are not there

Kramer wrote: »
    7DQ3AV0.jpg

Legend!

All is good in the world again.

I'm "guessing" that once their backend systems are updated to show that your recall has been processed then it will automatically disappear. This is, I think, what happened in my case for the same recall. However, it was 6+ months ago so I can't remember how long it took.

Jaysis, the recall notice only disappeared today from the app. Been there since March at least!

Anyone ever have an issue with the emergency call system?
    Car has been back in twice with this issue, and so far they've attributed it to and replaced the cell battery, and is back in for the third time next week. So must be something else.

the corpo wrote: »
    Anyone ever have an issue with the emergency call system?

Car has been back in twice with this issue, and so far they've attributed it to and replaced the cell battery, and is back in for the third time next week. So must be something else.

What is the issue you're facing with the emergency call system?

Managed to drive beyond 50km on the battery before ICE kicked in yesterday.

My previous best was 48.5 KM but this time it's 51.5 KM.

No A/C as the weather was cool yesterday and mix of driving in city and N25.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

SummerK wrote: »

Same! Got 51km yesterday for the first time, delighted with that.

What is the issue you're facing with the emergency call system?

Just a permanent message on screen telling me it's not working and to get it serviced. Bit annoying as it's been in twice in the last month already.

• Advertisement

Must have been the day for it..

I got 47.6km yesterday on mine, which is an XDrive so I was very pleased with that as the XDrive is supposed to have ~5km less range that the std RWD version.

On average though I'm getting about 42/43 , still happy enough with that though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭keano25

So lads is it worth buying a 2017 one?

No home charger no noting.. normal electricity with Electric Ireland

Coming from a 2011 520d

keano25 wrote: »

Coming from a 2011 520d

Yes if you can charge the car at home. It’s a step up from previous gen and 530e is faster than 520d with the added benefits of being green.

Coming from a 2011 520d

It’s a better car than the 520d. I currently have a G30 530e and F10 520d here. But the real benefits come when you can charge at home.

If your not gona charge it then your paying to drag around that large battery. You may as well just buy a 530i or similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭keano25

When ye say charge at home,is it a case of I can plug into and outdoor 220v socket to charge?

When ye say charge at home,is it a case of I can plug into and outdoor 220v socket to charge?

Yep - Standard socket charging takes about 8 hours whereas a wall charger unit will do it in about 3.5/4hrs.

In a 2017 it's a 9Kwh battery so on std Electricity it's costing you about €1.50 to charge (assuming you're paying 16c/17c a unit or so.)

Also to note , you can't use an extension lead so you have to be able to park the car close enough to reach the plug with the cable as is , which is about 5M

Gumbo wrote: »
    If your not gona charge it then your paying to drag around that large battery. You may as well just buy a 530i or similar.

There are very few 530i to choose from though - 520s rule the roost here :(.
    But I concur - the 530e is a better car.
    Yep - Standard socket charging takes about 8 hours whereas a wall charger unit will do it in about 3.5/4hrs.

In a 2017 it's a 9Kwh battery so on std Electricity it's costing you about €1.50 to charge (assuming you're paying 16c/17c a unit or so.)

Also to note , you can't use an extension lead so you have to be able to park the car close enough to reach the plug with the cable as is , which is about 5M

The 9.2kWh version takes 8kWh to fill from flat (keeps a buffer) & costs 50c odd on night rate. It takes 2.5 hours max on a type 2 charge point & shouldn't take any more than 4 hours on a standard 13a socket (10a max IIRC).

Ideally you'd install a home charge point & you'd qualify for the SEAI €600 grant to help with the cost with a PHEV like the 530e.
    I wouldn't see much issue using the "granny" cable in fairness, until you get a proper charge point installed.

Recently spotted nearside rear tyre wearing out faster than the other 3 tyres. Tread dept is around 2.5mm while it is over 4.2mm for the other 3. BMW service suggested me to replace tyre after driving few k km rather than investigating why.

Any recommendation for a 4 wheel tracking/alignment centre in Cork?

Any articles about the buffer please?Would like to know more about how my 9kwh battery is used

• Advertisement

No specific articles that I know about. The 9.2kWh battery has 8kWh usable. The buffer is likely 50/50 - half at the top end, half at the bottom. It'll prolong the life of the battery.

That's all she wrote!

Advertisement