Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aviva Premiership 13/14 season thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Clothesline tackle but there didn't seem to be any malice. Bath players didn't react either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Caught the highlights of Gloucester-Bath. Some match, would have loved to see it live.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Just saw the Knoyle incident. It's not the first time Knoyle has gone out to cheap shot someone, I'm fairly sure he decked a Leinster player from behind when he was playing with the Scarlets.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The guy he thumped was goading him when he was on the ground. Not an excuse but it does explain why he reacted like that.

Think he's moving to Cardiff for next season.

Sale won at Exeter by a score of 55-12. You read that right. They were 5 point underdogs. That is extraordinary, and done without their best player (Braid). Bath dodged a bullet home to Worcester, cruelly denied at the death again. The race for the playoffs is heating up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It's funny looking at the tables between the Aviva and the Rabo.

The difference between 6th and 7th in the Aviva is 16pts and in the Rabo it's 10.
    The difference between 4th and 5th in the Aviva is 6pts and in the Rabo it's 7 (both teams still have to play this weekend in the Rabo though).

Competitiveness wise the leagues are very similar

• Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭OldRio

Exeter v Quinns on BT1 at the moment.
    3-0 to Exeter

Looks like the Aviva's last regular season round will end up the same as the Rabo as Quins are losing to Exeter but need to win to have any chance of getting into the Playoffs.

Currently it's

Saracens 85
    Northampton 73
    Leicester 69
    Bath 66
    Quins 58 (they'll be on 59 if it finishes with the same score)

Northampton v Wasps
    Leicester v Saracens
    Quins v Bath

are next weeks fixtures

2 more tries for Quins though, and it's winner takes all for the right to lose a semi-final at Allianz park.

And there it is. The fourth try and they lead 30-29.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭OldRio

Some come back by Quinns.

I take it back so!

Saracens 85
    Northampton 73
    Leicester 69
    Bath 66
    Quins 63

Northampton v Wasps
    Leicester v Saracens
    Quins v Bath

are next weeks fixtures

Try of the season candidates.

Mumm's is a superb breakout, great hands everywhere.
    Wade's step at full pace is lethal.
    I like the power of Mulipola though.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Try of the season for me was definitely Elliot's. Last minute of the game, out of nowhere, Northampton starting to give up on it when Burns kicked the ball down the field to them... and the George North produces some absolute magic to create a try that puts Northampton in the lead. Really impressive that they were able to execute that in the 79th minute of the game with so much on the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I know it's not prem, might already have been discussed. But do people think it's okay for ryan Jones to transfer to Bristol for just the play off games?

errlloyd wrote: »
    I know it's not prem, might already have been discussed. But do people think it's okay for ryan Jones to transfer to Bristol for just the play off games?

Nah, it's crazy. The RFU have made a big oversight in leaving the possibility for this open. There should be a final date (like in most professional leagues) for registering players for your squad.

I like Bristol though, so hopefully he helps them to get up!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Shouldn't be allowed. All other leagues have a final date for registration/movement of players.
    Wasn't there a transfer involving one of the Scottish teams not allowed recently enough??

Nah, it's crazy. The RFU have made a big oversight in leaving the possibility for this open. There should be a final date (like in most professional leagues) for registering players for your squad.

I like Bristol though, so hopefully he helps them to get up!

Imagine if Bristol don't win the playoffs. That would be one huge cluster**** with all those signings.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Imagine if Bristol don't win the playoffs. That would be one huge cluster**** with all those signings.

The list of players that could potentially be in the Championship is mad. Bristol are by no means guaranteed promotion at this stage. I suspect bringing Jones in is a bit of a panic move to do everything they can but it might well galvanise the opposition.

Northampton losing by 13 points at home to the Wasps second string! They might miss their home semi here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Great try from George Ford, hes quick

Tox56 wrote: »
    Great try from George Ford, hes quick

He took it well but there was a huge gap in the Quins defence for him to run through.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

CatFromHue wrote: »
    He took it well but there was a huge gap in the Quins defence for him to run through.

Ah yeah it was poor defence but he reminds me of Hanrahan with that smooth running style and a lovely pass to go with it, although hes a bit further along in his development than JJ. I think if Saracens reach the final (and Bath dont) he'll be starting in NZ for England

Ha Wasps have gone from leading Northampton 13-0 after 15 mins to losing 74-13!

Wasps were 7th in the Aviva this morning and people give out about the Rabo!

Edit: Wasps may have had a weaker team out than usual today for the HEC playoff, not fully sure though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Buer wrote: »
    The list of players that could potentially be in the Championship is mad. Bristol are by no means guaranteed promotion at this stage. I suspect bringing Jones in is a bit of a panic move to do everything they can but it might well galvanise the opposition.

What I don't understand is why they don't get rid of the playoffs if they want the "right" team to be promoted. Every year an ex-premiership team runs away with the league and then shits the bed in the playoffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Championship playoffs are done on an aggregate score right? Bristol only managed a 3 point win over Rotherham at home in the first leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Championship playoffs are done on an aggregate score right? Bristol only managed a 3 point win over Rotherham at home in the first leg.

Correct. All to play for now! Would be interesting to see Scanlon and Keating in the top flight for Rotherham.

Nigel Davies sacked by Gloucester: http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/27372902

I can't say I've been a big fan of his since he sent that joke lineup to Thomond in the second round of the Heineken Cup. I couldn't believe that they were effectively throwing a match after they won their first round match at home to Perpignan.
    Buer wrote: »
    Correct. All to play for now! Would be interesting to see Scanlon and Keating in the top flight for Rotherham.

Would a club like Rotherham be able to get the finances together to recruit to stay up? The promoted club is really at a disadvantage at getting in players since very few will have no contract sorted by May. Ideally their season should start in August and end in April.

I like Davies as a coach. Obviously it didn't work out for him and Gloucester were going backwards a bit, but I think he'll go on to be successful somewhere. He probably needs to be better at building the structure within the club, but I love his philopsophy of play and the way he set his teams up, especially for big games.

Maybe he'd be a better assistant at a higher level, rather than a head coach.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

@irishbucsfan, any ideas who might make the English touring part downunder? I know a couple of the big names such as Corbisiero are out with injury, but I've read Cipriani might be in line for a shock recall.

Any newbies you think might get the call, or basically just the same squad from the 6N? IMO, it would be a great confidence boost for England to win a test in NZ, but with a weakened squad for the 1st test owing to the Premiership final, they could already be off to a rocky start.

Given the RWC is in England though, even a 0-3 result in NZ won't faze Lancaster too much I imagine. Don't talk to me if it ends up 3-0 though :eek:

Advertisement