Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aviva Premiership 13/14 season thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,182 ✭✭✭✭Buer

So the awards dinner was last night. Mike Browne, unsurprisingly, won player of the season. Billy Vunipola won the young player and Mark McCall was coach of the year.

Team of the season: Mike Brown (Harlequins); Semesa Rokoduguni (Bath Rugby); Luther Burrell (Northampton Saints), Kyle Eastmond (Bath Rugby), Vereniki Goneva (Leicester Tigers); Stephen Myler (Northampton Saints), Danny Care (Harlequins); Joe Marler (Harlequins), Dave Ward (Harlequins), Logovi'i Mulipola (Leicester Tigers), Samu Manoa (Northampton Saints), Michael Paterson (Sale Sharks), Dan Braid (Sale Sharks), Jacques Burger (Saracens), Billy Vunipola (Saracens)

Interesting that, in a season where Saracens destroyed the field and finished with a record high points total, they only have two players in the team while Quins have four after barely scraping into the semi finals on the final day.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I suppose Sarries are the very definition of a good, well drilled team, but with few standout individuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

Craig Doyle and his enthusiasm does not belong on a rugby pitch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Northhampton steal it at the end!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Great game by all accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Good game starting soon. A battle of two Irish coaches.

Sarries should win, but they should have won the semi-final last season as well.

I enjoy BT Sport's buildup, even if it is a bit cheesey with presenters trotting about the field chatting to everyone who will acknowledge them. I wonder if they'll be allowed transfer this to Europe next season.

Quins looking quite good out of the gate. Keeping the ball well. If they can keep that up they'll make it tough for Sarries to get into the game.

Looks like lots of fans are there... Lots of Harlequins fans..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Fantastic refereeing.

Wow what a hit. Sinckler a bit lucky there, that was a borderline headbutt!

This is a great game so far in terms of intensity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Wow what a hit. Sinckler a bit lucky there, that was a borderline headbutt!

This is a great game so far in terms of intensity.

Ahh cmon. His head has to go somewhere. He'd no intention of any dirty play.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Aviva Premiership come play off time is serious entertainment.

danthefan wrote: »
    Ahh cmon. His head has to go somewhere. He'd no intention of any dirty play.

It's still dangerous and illegal though to just charge into someone and smash your head into theirs. I agree he had no intent irrelevant as it is, and I don't think it should have been a penalty in this case because it was borderline, which is why I said he was lucky.

Harlequins doing exactly what they need to do on the ground, get all over the ball and stop Sarries building momentum.

I question whether they can do that for 80 minutes. Or if they can stay legal enough for it to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Please Quins, please win.

Yellow for Saracens. If Quins stay close all match they might rattle Saracens like Northampton did to them last year.

Seemed a bit of a harsh call there to me, not so sure he went through 90.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

It seems merely lifting a player in a tackle is too much these days, and to be honest I don't see why players bother with it, even if they think they can do it legally.

matthew8 wrote: »
    It seems merely lifting a player in a tackle is too much these days, and to be honest I don't see why players bother with it, even if they think they can do it legally.

Because if you hit a guy and it stops him without taking him down, it's the easiest and quickest way to get him to the ground.

Yellow for that?? Deliberate knock on in Quinns half and Sarries down to 13.

• Advertisement

Matt no catch good

Try Quins!

Conor doesn't look massively happy talking to Kingston there. Maybe a bit bemused by Matthews' decision to step inside which was bizarre!

James Johnston left Quins for Sarries at the end of last season. The battle between him and Marler will be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Scoring a try with 13 men. That is really good.

Try Sarries! Embarrassing defence from Quins who get beaten by a ball thrown out wide by a team with 13 men.

Ah Quins, that's exactly what you can't do against Sarries if you want to beat them! Such a missed opportunity.

Try Quins! Super stuff, what a match.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Mike Brown makes his first unforced error for 11 months and 14 days

• Advertisement

Farrell having another off day with the boot.

Advertisement