Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aviva Premiership 13/14 season thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Bath have a penakty under the posts but Henson isn't taking it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Sponsoring the stadium announcer calls now? Really Saracens, really?

Saracens are just playing at such a high standard at the moment. They look extremely well coached. Bath the opposite

2nd game in the day of derbies is at half time now. Only saw the end of the first half due to the Top 14 game. Commentator said it was exciting for the neutrals, so good stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Pablo Matera has signed for Leicester, that's a quality signing for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Northampton-Saracens is pretty good. Manoa in for a wonderful try.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭Buer

17-3 to Northampton and this is without Hartley, Wood, Coribisiero, North and Lawes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Buer wrote: »
    17-3 to Northampton and this is without Hartley, Wood, Coribisiero, North and Lawes.

I'm as worried about the NH games as I was of the Clermont double header last year

Buer wrote: »
    It's not like Saracens are at full strength either. No Vunipolas, Barritt, Ashton or Farrell.

I don't think Northampton will be able to do as much in attack against Leinster.

matthew8 wrote: »
    It's not like Saracens are at full strength either. No Vunipolas, Barritt, Ashton or Farrell.

I don't think Northampton will be able to do as much in attack against Leinster.

True but I would have thought Northampton's stars are far more central to their side than Saracens are theirs; they've far more depth in their squad.

I think Northampton are going to rely on their pack to physically batter into Leinster. They don't have a huge amount of guile behind the pack but the battering rams like Burrell will get them on the front foot.

If Leinster can match them physically and hold them on the gain line they've a good chance but with guys of the power of Lawes and Hartley, that's a big ask.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Why aren't any of those guys playing?

CatFromHue wrote: »

England camp I believe.

CatFromHue wrote: »

I assume it's part of the elite squad agreement between PRL and the RFU. Players are released from club duty 14 days in advance of the autumn internationals and the 6N.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭Hype710

England are playing Australia next weekend.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Everything good from saints today has come through myler, he needs to be given as little space as possible in our double header.

I wonder what the physics behind "hand went back but ball went forward" judgement are? ?

sydthebeat wrote: »
    I wonder what the physics behind "hand went back but ball went forward" judgement are? ?

Basically it's relative velocity. I think an easy way to judge it is unless the passer got tackled after giving the pass, if the ball is behind him after he passes it, it is then a backward pass.

Basically it's relative velocity. I think an easy way to judge it is unless the passer got tackled after giving the pass, if the ball is behind him after he passes it, it is then a backward pass.

Still doesn't explain how if the hand movement is backward how the ball can go forward, regardless of the velocity of the player.
    Its just extra elastic for the tmo in my opinion.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

If you're driving in a car at 60mph and throw a rock out the window. From the spot you throw the rock which direction will it move? Forward from the spot or backwards?

Still doesn't explain how if the hand movement is backward how the ball can go forward, regardless of the velocity of the player.

It does if you think about the momentum of the carrier making the ball actually travel forward despite being thrown in a backwards motion. It's one of those things that we innately perform without ever noticing until it's slowed down.

The classic video that explains it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgMlDy2jP9s

Ball is passed in backwards movement but it drifts forward due to player's own velocity.

• Advertisement

Because the hand isn't actually moving backwards. The hand is moving backwards relative to the rest of the player's body, ie he is moving his hand backwards from his point of view, but because the rest of the body is moving forward so fast the hand is actually going forward, and hence the ball is going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭Hype710

I for one am delighted the passing rule is finally being refereed properly.

Wasps Leicester is an alright game. Goode playing pretty well for Wasps, instrumental for their try and good off the tee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Wasps Leicester is an alright game. Goode playing pretty well for Wasps, instrumental for their try and good off the tee.

Goode has been brilliant in this second half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Good match for Goode. Brilliant kick, game over.

2 tries for Eamonn Sheridan today against Gloucester. The first wasn't much, pretty much fell over the line, and the second wasn't great either, but he looks a good player and someone who might be worth signing by an Irish province.

Unfortunately Hagan hasn't looked great since he came on and O'Leary still has a very poor pass and was probably the main man responsible for blowing a try 1 metre out by not deciding to go wide with an outrageous numerical advantage.

Huphreys with 2 missed kicks also, 1 was extremely makeable. Might cost them the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

2 tries for Eamonn Sheridan today against Gloucester. The first wasn't much, pretty much fell over the line, and the second wasn't great either, but he looks a good player and someone who might be worth signing by an Irish province.

Unfortunately Hagan hasn't looked great since he came on and O'Leary still has a very poor pass and was probably the main man responsible for blowing a try 1 metre out by not deciding to go wide with an outrageous numerical advantage.

Huphreys with 2 missed kicks also, 1 was extremely makeable. Might cost them the game.

Sheridan is under contract until the end of next season, when he'll have just turned 26. He could be an option for the provinces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

just watched highlights of saracens v LI on setanta. Allianz park is a soulless experience. The crowd was poor by the looks of it and the ground is wide open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone

aimee1 wrote: »
    just watched highlights of saracens v LI on setanta. Allianz park is a soulless experience. The crowd was poor by the looks of it and the ground is wide open.

Are Sarries not discussing a move away from there at the moment?

• Advertisement

Are Sarries not discussing a move away from there at the moment?

Are they? They've only just moved in this year!

Advertisement