Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aviva Premiership 13/14 season thread

Options
  • 08-09-2013 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭

I was watching Wasps V Quins there yesterday. Wasps unlucky not to steal a victory tbh, they got a try at the death but Goode missed his conversion. Conor O'Shea looked like he was bulling it at the final whistle, I'd say the lads got a talking to.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

http://www.uswitch.com/broadband/news/2013/09/bt_sport_heralds_terrific_aviva_premiership_rugby_union_viewing_figures/

Viewership is up 45%

Northampton v Quins was FTA last night, I didn't realise that. Didn't see it myself but supposedly it wasn't the best spectacle due to the weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

no thread for this

Strings playing for Bath today, some man

Austin Healy is just after saying he's "the best nine Ireland have right now" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

The BT Screen. Ew.

ah jaaayyysus, sorry lads <waits for merge>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

How dare you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Just seen one of the quickest red cards I've ever seen doled out in the Sarries V Gloucs game, Nick Wood, stamp on the face after about 2 mins....looks rough..and all this on the day he became the cherry and whites most capped front row player.....

Jesus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Jesus
    Long ban in prospect there and rightly so. So much wrong with that not least the very real possibility of blinding the guy. Remember what happened to Ian McKinley and that was just accidental from one of his teammates.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Anyone watching the championship.... Just curious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

errlloyd wrote: »
    Anyone watching the championship.... Just curious.

Yes, partly. Very funny to see Sky hyping it up so much and sending their best commentators and analysts.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Jesus

That's a disgrace. At the very least he shouldn't play again this season, something in the Attoub range.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Christ. On replay the second stamp is actually a jump. Both feet are off the ground. He's literally jumping on his head.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭hype101

Eamonn Sheridan had a serious game for L Irish against Worcester.. Two sweet off loads set up two tries in a good win

hype101 wrote: »
    Eamonn Sheridan had a serious game for L Irish against Worcester.. Two sweet off loads set up two tries in a good win

It's better for Barnes and Sheridan to be getting regular starts over in England than languishing in a provincial squad. I'm still disappointed Barnes left, who knows if he left because he got a better offer from Newcastle or if Munster simply didn't offer a deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

It's better for Barnes and Sheridan to be getting regular starts over in England than languishing in a provincial squad. I'm still disappointed Barnes left, who knows if he left because he got a better offer from Newcastle or if Munster simply didn't offer a deal.

The way I was reading the statements from the team and general Munster fan comment + opinion it seemed to me like he was released?

Teferi wrote: »
    The way I was reading the statements from the team and general Munster fan comment + opinion it seemed to me like he was released?

His lack of gametime last season would suggest he wasn't offered a new deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Just as a matter of interest what do folk make of the style of coverage BT Sport are going with...i.e. access all areas etc, grabbing managers in the dugout during the game and getting an interview etc... At one point yesterday Austin Healy was blathering on to Mike Tindall as he was trying to warm up with his backs on pitch...Not sure what to think of it...seems quite like NRL coverage in tone and style, but even more intrusive....

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

toomevara wrote: »
    Just as a matter of interest what do folk make of the style of coverage BT Sport are going with...i.e. access all areas etc, grabbing managers in the dugout during the game and getting an interview etc... At one point yesterday Austin Healy was blathering on to Mike Tindall as he was trying to warm up with his backs on pitch...Not sure what to think of it...seems quite like NRL coverage in tone and style, but even more intrusive....

Yeah not a big fan of it. I don't even like the SH style of interviewing players as they go off for a break at half time. That time is precious and you need to get your head together - plus I don't want to hear some canned response to 'What will your manager be saying in the dressing room?'

Don't get me wrong, I love the advent of technology and how it can improve our view from the couch, but there's more subtle ways of doing these kind of things like; hover cams, ref cams, 3D HD etc., etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

The latest fare from Saracens

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/24120369
    Gavin Henson: Saracens offer Bath fans refund deal

Saracens will give Bath fans a full refund on their tickets if centre Gavin Henson scores in Sunday's Premiership match between the two sides.

The London side top the Premiership and host third-placed Bath at Allianz Park.

Fans will need a Bath postcode as their home address to qualify for a refund.

"If Gavin Henson scores a point this Sunday we will give Bath fans their money back. It really is that simple," explained Clare Jackson of Saracens Supporters' Services.

• Advertisement

Saracens trying to out-do Paddy Power?

http://www.uswitch.com/broadband/news/2013/09/bt_sport_heralds_terrific_aviva_premiership_rugby_union_viewing_figures/

Viewership is up 45%

Northampton v Quins was FTA last night, I didn't realise that. Didn't see it myself but supposedly it wasn't the best spectacle due to the weather.

on ESPN's figures, not Sky's.
    Still up on Sky, but figure not given.

Weird statistic to fire in there as if it's meaningful! (If Sky's open day viewership was a 44% increase on ESPN's, and BT managed a ~1% increase on top would that sound impressive to anyone?)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

even at that, it suggests that it is only up 45% on ESPN's first season and not their final years figures. So given how many people are been given BT sports free from the start and given where ESPN had to start from 45% is actually a lot lower then I would of expected

Still up on Sky, but figure not given.

Weird statistic to fire in there as if it's meaningful! (If Sky's open day viewership was a 44% increase on ESPN's, and BT managed a ~1% increase on top would that sound impressive to anyone?)

I think it's pretty meaningful that more people are watching. No matter how much the increase is. It's good news for the game.

I think it's pretty meaningful that more people are watching. No matter how much the increase is. It's good news for the game.

It's a statistic that's presented as meaningful when in fact it is almost irrelevant.

Y1 : 1m viewers
    Y2 : 1.42m
    Y3 : 1.425m
    Y4 : 1.45m

Would that indicate a 'real' increase? One given by a 45% tagline?

It's sloppy journalistic work at best, and Spin* at worst.

It's a statistic that's presented as meaningful when in fact it is almost irrelevant.

Y1 : 1m viewers
    Y2 : 1.42m
    Y3 : 1.425m
    Y4 : 1.45m

Would that indicate a 'real' increase? One given by a 45% tagline?

It's sloppy journalistic work at best, and Spin* at worst.

It's clearly an increase of 450,000 viewers!

I don't see what's wrong with pointing out that more people are now watching rugby to be honest.

Jesus, that's genuinely just horrible what Saracens are doing. Not in the spirit of rugby at all, even if it is Henson. Wish they'd take their corporate bull**** and feck off

It's clearly an increase of 450,000 viewers!

I don't see what's wrong with pointing out that more people are now watching rugby to be honest.

Does it lead the reader to believe that there has been a massive increase since BT have taken over?

If the year-on-year viewership figures were as I have painted above, then they've not lied by saying a 45% increase, but it wouldn't have the same ring to it would it?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭Buer

shuffol wrote: »

Bizarre. If Bath score a try under the sticks, I hope they give the ball straight to Henson for a tap over conversion.

• Advertisement

Does it lead the reader to believe that there has been a massive increase since BT have taken over?

If the year-on-year viewership figures were as I have painted above, then they've not lied by saying a 45% increase, but it wouldn't have the same ring to it would it?

I don't think they're leading the reader to believe that. They've said it quite clear that its 45% since ESPN started broadcasting the permiership and also up on last years figures.

But even if it was just "up" on last years figures its still good news so I don't see the issue. It'd be nice to see how Rabo viewership is going, that must surely be increasing as well.

Advertisement