Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you find Tommy Tiernan funny?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Ush1 wrote: »
    This is definitely a real thing.

There was annoying middle aged women next to me and they were literally laughing at every word he said. Didn't need to be a joke or punchline, just constant giggling.

Some woman was doing that at a jimmy carr gig and he said to her " any chance you'd pop the love balls out for awhile love" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Went to see him in Vicar St a few years back and remains, to this day, the only time I've ever left a show early. Absolutely woeful, his warm up act was far funnier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

crazygeryy wrote: »
    Some woman was doing that at a jimmy carr gig and he said to her " any chance you'd pop the love balls out for awhile love" :)

And that was funny?

And that was funny?

Yes hilarious.
    And geniously quick witted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Ctrl Alt Delete

Lee Evans, no.
    Brendan O'Carroll, no.
    Jason Byrne, no.

Harry Hill, yes.

And by way of showing how subjective comedy is

Brendan o carroll, yes
    Lee Evans , yes
    Jason Byrne, not once even smiled at his jokes
    Harry hill, slapstick and silliness just isn't my cuppa

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Depends how pissed/stoned I am :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

I think his shows have gone downhill since his hey day but still find interviews on tv and radio very funny still

"it's like a pervert looking at you through the letter box" remains with me to this day

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

And by way of showing how subjective comedy is

Brendan o carroll, yes
    Lee Evans , yes
    Jason Byrne, not once even smiled at his jokes
    Harry hill, slapstick and silliness just isn't my cuppa

That's why this thread is so daft. it's completely subjective. You might as well start a thread about people's favourite kind of sandwich and then have otehrs getting all wound up about it.

For my part I think the likes of Michael McIntyre, Peter Kay etc... (immensely popular, bland, safe, stadium fillers) and then Russell Kane, Russell Howard etc... (shiny, stylish, safe quiz show fodder) are not only bad comedians but actually destroying stand up comedy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

For my part I think the likes of Michael McIntyre, Peter Kay etc... (immensely popular, bland, safe, stadium fillers) and then Russell Kane, Russell Howard etc... (shiny, stylish, safe quiz show fodder) are not only bad comedians but actually destroying stand up comedy.

That's a nonsense statement. There's different comedians catering for different markets just like there's different music acts doing the same. There's a wealth of great comedians out there that - Louis CK, Anthony Jeselnik, Bill Burr, Dara O'Briain, David O'Doherty, Jimmy Carr, Stewart Francis, Tim Vine, Frankie Boyle, Demetri Martin - stand up is in no fear of dying off.

And I don't care what anyone thinks but Peter Kay is razor sharp at what he does.

That's a nonsense statement. There's different comedians catering for different markets just like there's different music acts doing the same. There's a wealth of great comedians out there that - Louis CK, Anthony Jeselnik, Bill Burr, Dara O'Briain, David O'Doherty, Jimmy Carr, Stewart Francis, Tim Vine, Frankie Boyle, Demetri Martin - stand up is in no fear of dying off.

And I don't care what anyone thinks but Peter Kay is razor sharp at what he does.

I didnt mean they were killing it off, i meant they were destroying it, turning it into something bland and safe. But like i said, that just goes to show how this is all subjective.

Regarding peter kay specifically, yes, he's excellent at what he does, which is not comedy, it's nostalgia. his entire stand up routine is based around stuff he remembers from childhood. I remember friends of mine putting one of his DVDs on and I watched them as they watched it. None of them were laughing they were all going "Oh i remember that" or "I used to do that" or "my dad does that" etc...

But yeah, the whole thing is totally subjective

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I didnt mean they were killing it off, i meant they were destroying it, turning it into something bland and safe.

Comedians like Anthony Jeselnik, Jim Jefferies and Frankie Boyle are never going to be safe and bland and the likes of Louis CK and Bill Burr, while being popular, are tackling subjects that are never going to fit into the cosy sets that the likes of McIntyre do. What Howard and McIntyre do is never going to have on what the other comedians I've mentioned do.

The other cliche is that safe or clean is bland. The likes of Stewart Francis, Demetri Martin and Tim Vine would be considered clean but any of the stand up I've seen from those guys has always been great imo.

Shít comics are shít comics - it won't matter if they are safe or edgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,900 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

i do enjoy tommy tiernan. saw him live 3 times last was september 2014.

cant stand yer man Fred Cooke from the fear and that bernard o shea guy is a bit annoying too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

DivingDuck wrote: »
    Humour is a hugely subjective thing.

Assuming that just because it doesn't appeal to you means it can't possibly appeal to others is what's delusional, in my opinion.

Eh ............. what? I'm the one who said exactly that!!! :D

Read my posts, I'm a fan of Tommy's. ;)

EDIT: I think you may have intended to quote the Op?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭se02orqua5xz9v

Tiernan's success is derived from a series of 'tricks' i.e. pacing around the stage, vigorous hand gestures, excessive use of volume (e.g. shouting at the end of a sentence) and, of course, swearing.

I see no craft, no wit, no quality to any of his material. There isn't a single line that, were you to write it down on a piece of paper, you could pinpoint where the "funny bit" is.
    So when you take a joke out of context, remove all the other stuff that every other comedian uses (gestures, pacing volume etc...) write it down on a piece of paper and look at it it isnt funny?

Well I'll be damned :rolleyes:

Yes, that's correct. My favourite stand ups - and I have quite a few - all write material which stands up on its own. It isn't funny because you person delivering it shouted it, or inserting the word 'fucking' at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

people who wear GAA jerseys to australia think he's the greatest international comedian that ever existed.....

I think he's a decent artist, i've seen him a few times and always enjoyed, but i find him more of a spoken word artist than a comedian.

Yes, that's correct. My favourite stand ups - and I have quite a few - all write material which stands up on its own. It isn't funny because you person delivering it shouted it, or inserting the word 'fucking' at some point.

Which Stand-Up Comedians are your favourites?

Comedians like Anthony Jeselnik, Jim Jefferies and Frankie Boyle are never going to be safe and bland and the likes of Louis CK and Bill Burr, while being popular, are tackling subjects that are never going to fit into the cosy sets that the likes of McIntyre do. What Howard and McIntyre do is never going to have on what the other comedians I've mentioned do.

The other cliche is that safe or clean is bland. The likes of Stewart Francis, Demetri Martin and Tim Vine would be considered clean but any of the stand up I've seen from those guys has always been great imo.

Shít comics are shít comics - it won't matter if they are safe or edgy.

I never mentioned clean, much less equated it with being "edgy"

MadDog76 wrote: »

There are too many to go into, but let me put it this way. I have paid to see the following comedians perform live - often more than once - and all were good, though there may have been some caveats.

Demetri Martin
    Jerry Seinfeld
    Richard Herring
    Stewart Francis
    Stewart Lee
    Doug Stanhope
    Mark Thomas
    Bill Burr
    Daniel Kitson
    Bo Burnham
    Josie Long
    Bill Bailey
    David O'Doherty
    Peter Kay
    Dara O Briain
    Jimmy Carr
    Omid Djalili
    Dylan Moran (though he has gone off the boil)
    Ricky Gervais (though I think of him more of an actor than stand up)
    Stephen Merchant (again, more of an actor-writer than a straight stand up)
    Kevin Smith (not a stand up, but a more entertaining raconteur than many stand ups)

I've also paid to see Tiernan live twice - once in Vicar Street, the other time in county Sligo. Neither time was good.

The only comedian of Tiernan's fame who I found very disappointing was Eddie Izzard, who I saw in 2011.

There are too many to go into, but let me put it this way. I have paid to see the follower comedians perform live - often more than once - and all were good, though there may have been some caveats.

Demetri Martin
    Jerry Seinfeld
    Richard Herring
    Stewart Francis
    Stewart Lee
    Doug Stanhope
    Mark Thomas
    Bill Burr
    Daniel Kitson
    Bo Burnham
    Josie Long
    Bill Bailey
    David O'Doherty
    Peter Kay
    Dara O Briain
    Jimmy Carr
    Peter Kay
    Omid Djalili
    Kevin Smith (not a stand up, but a more entertaining raconteur than many stand ups)

I've also paid to see Tiernan live twice - once in Vicar Street, the other time in county Sligo. Neither time was good.

The only comedian of Tiernan's fame who I found very disappointing was Eddie Izzard, who I saw in 2011.

Ok, quite a long list so I'll pick ......... Bill Bailey .......... I don't find Bill funny at all, can't stand him actually .......... does that mean that those people who do find him funny are just pretending to find him funny ........ like Tommy Tiernan's fans are just pretending to find Tommy funny?

Also, do none of the Stand-Up's on your list ever "shout" or use the word "f*ck" when delivering a punch-line?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Pink Lemons

There are too many to go into, but let me put it this way. I have paid to see the following comedians perform live - often more than once - and all were good, though there may have been some caveats.

Demetri Martin
    Jerry Seinfeld
    Richard Herring
    Stewart Francis
    Stewart Lee
    Doug Stanhope
    Mark Thomas
    Bill Burr
    Daniel Kitson
    Bo Burnham
    Josie Long
    Bill Bailey
    David O'Doherty
    Peter Kay
    Dara O Briain
    Jimmy Carr
    Omid Djalili

You're complaining about stand ups overusing swear words but Kevin Smith is in your list of favourites? Surely he's the king of unnecessarily swearing..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

His stand up is pretty bad IMO. As mentioned, he's very shouty. However, he was on Alan Davies' chat show lately and he was funny when he was just telling stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

I saw him live for the first time this summer during his tour of the islands. I was a bit undecided about him before then but I was crying with laughter throughout the show, so yes, i like Tommy!

You're complaining about stand ups overusing swear words but Kevin Smith is in your list of favourites? Surely he's the king of unnecessarily swearing..

The list wasn't of my favourites, but of comedians I had paid to see live.

As I said, I consider Kevin Smith to be more of a raconteur than a comedian.

Yes, he does swear a lot, but the swearing isn't to get laughs. The laughs comes from what he talks about.

I never said I have a problem with swearing. I do, however, think swearing simply to get a laugh is a trick, and one that Tiernan uses a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Vandango

I would find driving a nail through my own testicles, funnier than Tommy Tiernan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Vandango wrote: »
    I would find driving a nail through my own testicles, funnier than Tommy Tiernan.

And if you put it on Youtube, some of us probably would too! :pac:

Put the nail driving up on you tube and we'll all have a look.just to see if its funny.

Jinx :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

crazygeryy wrote: »
    Jinx :)
    Tippy toe heels no jinxies can`t jinxies me!

Besides, I beat ya to it... I NEVER beat the other poster to it! This is the beginning of a whole new era for me now, I can feel it!!

MadDog76 wrote: »
    The list wasn't of my favourites, but of comedians I had paid to see live.

As I said, I consider Kevin Smith to be more of a raconteur than a comedian.

Yes, he does swear a lot, but the swearing isn't to get laughs. The laughs comes from what he talks about.

I never said I have a problem with swearing. I do, however, think swearing simply to get a laugh is a trick, and one that Tiernan uses a lot.

Ok .......... so I'll ask the question again ........... which Stand-Up Comedians are your favourites?

• Advertisement

I have a hammer ...........

Advertisement