Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you find Tommy Tiernan funny?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Mars Bar wrote: »
    His stand up is pretty bad IMO. As mentioned, he's very shouty. However, he was on Alan Davies' chat show lately and he was funny when he was just telling stories.

That's kind of what he does live these days ............ a lot of posters on here seem to remember Tommy shouting a bit in a couple of his early dvd's which they are now using as a basis for their criticisms .......... lazy and ill-informed at best.

My rule for deciding if a Comic is funny or not (for me obviously) is "am I laughing?" ........ if yes, then yes, I find said Comic funny ........ simple as that and as simple as it needs to be really.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 266 ✭✭Clive Bisquette

Tiernan is a one trick pony(shouting) in this posters opinion.....a beaten docket on a long slide to obscurity.

Bout time this talent less chappie was found out.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

You can generally tell the calibre of a comedian by the make-up of his audience.

For TT it's mainly a braying mob of GAA jersey-wearing knuckle heads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

As I said before, it's Emperor's New Clothes syndrome.

That, mixed with mass delusion.

No one wanted to be the one person who didn't laugh at Tommy Tiernan, so they all 'laughed'. After a while, the forced laughter seemed natural, because people had convinced themselves Tiernan was funny.

But that's not really answering my question - you're talking about one show you were at. I'm asking if he isn't funny then how did he get to the stage where he could do a month's run in Vicar Street and sell it out?

Clearly some people genuinely believe he is funny - you're not among them but mass delusion doesn't explain someone's rise up the competitive ranks of comedians to get to the level he's at today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭se02orqua5xz9v

MadDog76 wrote: »
    Ok .......... so I'll ask the question again ........... which Stand-Up Comedians are your favourites?

Ok .......... Of the people I listed, I would list Daniel Kitson, Demetri Martin and Mark Thomas among my favourites.

I also love Robert Newman, Bob Newhart and Mort Sahl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

'Doctor'

Ok .......... Of the people I listed, I would list Daniel Kitson, Demetri Martin and Mark Thomas among my favourites.

I also love Robert Newman, Bob Newhart and Mort Sahl.

So let's take Daniel Kitson (I like Mark Thomas and Demetri Martin is okish) ......... I don't find Daniel Kitson funny, which is just my own personal opinion and one that I am, I'm sure you'll agree, entitled too.

But what if I was to take my opinion one step further and say that, in actual fact, Daniel is not funny ......... anybody who thinks he is funny is just fooling themselves and pretending to find him funny because that's what all the "cool" people think and I know this to be true because I don't find him funny!

Sounds crazy doesn't it?

It is crazy ......... but that's what you are saying about Tommy Tiernan and his ("fake") fans ........... crazy!

So let's take Daniel Kitson (I like Mark Thomas and Demetri Martin is okish) ......... I don't find Daniel Kitson funny, which is just my own personal opinion and one that I am, I'm sure you'll agree, entitled too.

But what if I was to take my opinion one step further and say that, in actual fact, Daniel is not funny ......... anybody who thinks he is funny is just fooling themselves and pretending to find him funny because that's what all the "cool" people think and I know this to be true because I don't find him funny!

Sounds crazy doesn't it?

It is crazy ......... but that's what you are saying about Tommy Tiernan and his ("fake") fans ........... crazy!

So what you're saying is that there is no such thing as an unfunny comedian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

There are very few things in this world more honest than a stand up comedy audience, to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

That's kind of what he does live these days ............ a lot of posters on here seem to remember Tommy shouting a bit in a couple of his early dvd's which they are now using as a basis for their criticisms .......... lazy and ill-informed at best.

I disagree with your assessment of people as 'lazy and ill-informed'. I am in the Tommy Tirenan = shouty camp. If he spent enough of his career shouting for myself and others to write him off then that is his problem, not mine. I'm not going to keep revisiting comedians (or musicians, or whatever) for years and listening to something I don't enjoy on the off-chance that they've changed their style to something I might like.

Tiernan made a name for himself as a shouty comedian and, for better or worse, he now lives or dies by that persona.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Saw Dylan Moran in Vicar St recently. Engaging, original, intelligence in spades and funny.

Tommy is not in the same league.

If even one individual finds a Comedian funny then that Comedian is funny ......... to that individual.

Show me 100 people who don't find Tommy Tiernan funny and I'll show you 100 people that do ..........

Show me 100 people who find Daniel Kitson funny and I'll show you 100 people who don't ...........

Is there such thing as an unfunny Comedian?
    Maybe .......... but I can't think of even one Comedian that somebody doesn't find funny ......... can you???

You're mistaking your opinion as fact ......... it isn't.

kylith wrote: »
    I disagree with your assessment of people as 'lazy and ill-informed'. I am in the Tommy Tirenan = shouty camp. If he spent enough of his career shouting for myself and others to write him off then that is his problem, not mine. I'm not going to keep revisiting comedians (or musicians, or whatever) for years and listening to something I don't enjoy on the off-chance that they've changed their style to something I might like.

Tiernan made a name for himself as a shouty comedian and, for better or worse, he now lives or dies by that persona.

He seems to be doing quite well despite your boycotting him :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

He seems to be doing quite well despite your boycotting him :)

And good luck to him, but he's not to my taste and it's neither lazy nor ill-informed for me to say so.

kylith wrote: »
    And good luck to him, but he's not to my taste and it's neither lazy nor ill-informed for me to say so.

I have no issue with people's personal opinions on Comics or Singers or Actors or whatever but let me ask you this ......... do you agree with the Op?

That people who find Tommy Tiernan funny are just pretending to find him funny because they have convinced themselves that he's funny??

Or do they (me) actually just find him funny?

Saw Dylan Moran in Vicar St recently. Engaging, original, intelligence in spades and funny.

Tommy is not in the same league.

What "league" are you referring to? :confused:

Never mind, it doesn't matter ........... as we're now comparing Comedians like-for-like, here's a question for you .......... was it Tommy Tiernan or Dylan Moran who won a "So You Think You're Funny? Award" AND a Perrier Comedy Award?

If even one individual finds a Comedian funny then that Comedian is funny ......... to that individual.

By that logic, if even one individual finds a comedian unfunny then that comedian is unfunny.

So Tiernan isn't funny, Daniel Kitson isn't funny, Martin McIntyre isn't funny... and so on.

Every comedian that has ever lived, from an open mic in the Ha'Penny Bridge on a Tuesday night, to a sold out show at Vicar Street, is both funny and unfunny at the same time.

It's like Schrödinger's cat or something.

By that logic, if even one individual finds a comedian unfunny then that comedian is unfunny.

So Tiernan isn't funny, Daniel Kitson isn't funny, Martin McIntyre isn't funny... and so on.

Every comedian that has ever lived, from an open mic in the Ha'Penny Bridge on a Tuesday night, to a sold out show at Vicar Street, is both funny and unfunny at the same time.

It's like Schrödinger's cat or something.

Exactly!! You've finally got it!! It took you a while but you got there ........ it's all subjective! :)

Tommy is funny and Daniel is not ......... to me!

Daniel is funny and Tommy is not ....... to you!

Never mind, it doesn't matter ........... as we're now comparing Comedians like-for-like, here's a question for you .......... was it Tommy Tiernan or Dylan Moran who won a "So You Think You're Funny? Award" AND a Perrier Comedy Award?

Erm, Dylan Moran has won both? Also was listed as the 14th best ever stand up in a run down on Channel 4 a few years back, as well as Le Monde listing him as the best stand up comedian of all time. And winning a BAFTA for comedy.

Dylan Moran is also perhaps the most popular stand up in all of Australia, and sold out the Sydney opera house for a few days straight extremely quick, with tickets if I recall starting at $120+.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Erm, Dylan Moran has won both? Also was listed as the 14th best ever stand up in a run down on Channel 4 a few years back, as well as Le Monde listing him as the best stand up comedian of all time. And winning a BAFTA for comedy.

Dylan Moran is also perhaps the most popular stand up in all of Australia, and sold out the Sydney opera house for a few days straight extremely quick, with tickets if I recall starting at $120+.

Correct .......... as has Tommy ;)

• Advertisement

Correct .......... as has Tommy ;)
    Given the way you asked the question, and call me skeptical here, but I don't think you aware of Moran having won it too. :p

Anyway I'm not a fan of Tommy, but to each their own I guess. The fact however is that he would barely be known beyond Ireland, whereas Dylan Moran has won a BAFTA for a comedy show he co-wrote and created, was named by a French newspaper that happens to be one of the most famous in the world as the greatest comedian of all time, and is one of (if not the) most popular stand up in all of Australia on the other side of the world, where he can sell out one of the most prestigious venues in the world at high prices without even the slightest bother.

True that comparing awards and such is silly, but Dylan Moran is the greatest stand up to ever come from Ireland, exemplified in his critical, commercial, and international successes, and it's really not even close.

Exactly!! You've finally got it!! It took you a while but you got there ........ it's all subjective! :)

Oh, I had understood what you meant before, I just didn't agree with you.

I still don't.

A 14-year-old boy may think Transformers: Age of Extinction is better than Citizen Kane, but that doesn't mean that Transformers: Age of Extinction is better... to him.

The 14-year-old boy is objectively wrong.

Well, you're half right.

Given the way you asked the question, and call me skeptical here, but I don't think you aware of Moran having won it too. :p

Anyway I'm not a fan of Tommy, but to each their own I guess. The fact however is that he would barely be known beyond Ireland, whereas Dylan Moran has won a BAFTA for a comedy show he co-wrote and created, was named by a French newspaper that happens to be one of the most famous in the world as the greatest comedian of all time, and is one of (if not the) most popular stand up in all of Australia on the other side of the world, where he can sell out one of the most prestigious venues in the world at high prices without even the slightest bother.

True that comparing awards and such is silly, but Dylan Moran is the greatest stand up to ever come from Ireland, exemplified in his critical, commercial, and international successes, and it's really not even close.

I was fully aware that both had won as I'm also a big Dylan Moran fan .......... I asked the question to demonstrate that, when it comes to what makes individuals laugh, you can't really compare Comedians .......... Tommy and Dylan have won two identical awards but they are two very different Comics so shouldn't (actually can't) be compared to eachother.

Why does Harry Hill make some people laugh yet I'm left stone-faced watching/listening to him?

Let's compare Harry Hill to Bill Hicks .......... which one is better?

Silly questions which could only result in silly answers ........

Oh, I had understood what you meant before, I just didn't agree with you.

I still don't.

A 14-year-old boy may think Transformers: Age of Extinction is better than Citizen Kane, but that doesn't mean that Transformers: Age of Extinction is better... to him.

The 14-year-old boy is objectively wrong.

Well, you're half right.

Therein lies the problem .......... you have to be right, nothing else is possible. :D

I was fully aware that both had won as I'm also a big Dylan Moran fan .......... I asked the question to demonstrate that, when it comes to what makes individuals laugh, you can't really compare Comedians .......... Tommy and Dylan have won two identical awards but they are two very different Comics so shouldn't (actually can't) be compared to eachother.

Why does Harry Hill make some people laugh yet I'm left stone-faced watching/listening to him?

Let's compare Harry Hill to Bill Hicks .......... which one is better?

Silly questions which could only result in silly answers ........
    I'll agree in terms of awards and the likes not meaning anything in something as subjective as comedy, but having the kind of international reach that Dylan Moran's stuff has had really does set him apart from the others to come from Ireland, in my opinion. Then again, I don't tend to find Irish stand ups in general to be very good - for a nation known for or wit (and/or that likes to think of ourselves in such a light), we really are not very good at producing comedy.

But that's a whole separate gripe of mine. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Yes, that's correct. My favourite stand ups - and I have quite a few - all write material which stands up on its own. It isn't funny because you person delivering it shouted it, or inserting the word 'fucking' at some point.

Quite a lot of comedians would disagree pretty hugely with that. Stewart Lee has pieces which are almost exclusively delivery, Daniel Kitson has a natural turn of phrase and precision of timing that's ridiculously good(he'd be one of the first to argue the value of a well timed "****" too), I've seen him go on stage with nothing prepared at all and absolutely tear the place down.
    Even Woody Allen, who was always far more a writer than a performer, had an incredible instinct for physical comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

There isn't an official award for me to point toward to base your opinion on so i guess you've got me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

You can generally tell the calibre of a comedian by the make-up of his audience.

For TT it's mainly a braying mob of GAA jersey-wearing knuckle heads.

we can tell a lot about the calibre of yourself from that comment

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

being popular in Australia is a bad thing isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Demosthenes

Depends on whether you want to put it in cider or in fanta..

Advertisement