Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you find Tommy Tiernan funny?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jungleman

Agree 100% with An File.

His first DVD was hilarious.

Every DVD after that, I'd laugh a little bit less at each one.

It got to the stage where he was just storming around the stage,screaming and cursing, ranting and raving, flailing his arms around, with no joke or punch-line in sight. If I wanted to see that I'd just leave a skidmark on the toilet and wait until my mother saw it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I said when he was at the peak of his powers a few years ago and I was nearly shunned for it. He simply isn't funny. I know humour is subjective but I can't see how anyone can find him funny in the slightest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Irish people think TT is funny because they're not allowed have comedians like Bernard Manning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

HiGlo wrote: »
    I like PJ Gallagher and Republic of Tele and that kind of stuff.

Is that the whistle guy with the paper? hate that guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

biko wrote: »
    Black Books has one of the funniest and one of the least funny comedians. They both do stand up and remain as funny/unfunny.
    Bill Bailey and Dylan Moran.

But, They're both brilliant :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

"The bicycles go by in twos and threes. Nobody on them, just these f*cking bicycles."

Nobody else would look at Kavanagh like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭parttime

Not funny without the Peruvian marching powder!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I loved when he done the priest with the sing song voice on the Loose DVD.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

biko wrote: »
    Black Books has one of the funniest and one of the least funny comedians. They both do stand up and remain as funny/unfunny.
    Bill Bailey and Dylan Moran.
    Which is the funny one? I saw Bailey on Norton the other day,and he was about as funny as leukemia.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

osarusan wrote: »
    People find different things and comedians funny. It's all subjective.

Except Andrew Maxwell, he's objectively shite.

In fairness, Michael McIntyre is also objectively a big steaming pile. The idea that many hundreds of people purchase tickets and leave their houses - often in quite inclement weather - to spend a couple of hours listening to him is one of life's gigantic mysteries.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

parttime wrote: »
    Which is the funny one? I saw Bailey on Norton the other day,and he was about as funny as leukemia.

I think you've answered your own question! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,383 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

No I don't but then I once went to a Brendan O Carroll show and thought he was about as funny as a wake as well.

I like Dara O Briain though.

MadDog76 wrote: »
    I think you've answered your own question! :)
    I meant in the other guys opinion:pac: I used to laugh at Bailey, but he seems to have lost it. Love Dylan Moran and Black books. Also have seen Dylan And Tommy live, and both were excellent. Something about being in the room. Laughter is infectious. My proof of this is My mother made me go and see Jason Byrne and suprisingly i laughed alot. Normally he is on the same list as Brendan Ocarroll,Andrew Maxwell and their ilk

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I like very few comedians. I absolutely dread O'Carroll type stuff, Tiernan is ok but there are a lot more enjoyable ways to spend the evening. The swearing doesn't bother me but I could do without prancing around and shouting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

He was funny for a 6month period in early 2001 and has been unrelentingly unfunny since

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

He has his moments of brilliance, heavily weighted towards his early stuff though.

As for his cousin, can't recall her name, truly shocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Loud, obvious, predictable, crass, and in yer face!

Shouting very loudly about a woman in the front row with a Big Arse! or some such.

It's always the same old stuff with Tommy.

He was funny when he first started out many years ago, but now . . . . .

parttime wrote: »
    I meant in the other guys opinion:pac: I used to laugh at Bailey, but he seems to have lost it. Love Dylan Moran and Black books. Also have seen Dylan And Tommy live, and both were excellent. Something about being in the room. Laughter is infectious. My proof of this is My mother made me go and see Jason Byrne and suprisingly i laughed alot. Normally he is on the same list as Brendan Ocarroll,Andrew Maxwell and their ilk

I'm assuming his opinion is, that Dylan is the funny one and Bill isn't ......... it couldn't possibly be the other way round ........ could it??? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Duck Soup wrote: »
    In fairness, Michael McIntyre is also objectively a big steaming pile. The idea that many hundreds of people purchase tickets and leave their houses - often in quite inclement weather - to spend a couple of hours listening to him is one of life's gigantic mysteries.

I don't find him funny but I get his popularity - he is an observational middle class comedian, which is probably the comics target audience in UK for those wanting to sell out big stadiums

My fav comedians are: Tim Minchin, John Oliver, Bo Burnham, Hannibal Buress, Tony Law and Stewart Lee (a comedian some people despise)
    The Irish comedians I like are Dara O'Briain, Dylan Moran, David O'Doherty and the sketch trio Foil, Arms and Hog.

It all subjective

Some of Tommy Tiernans material is actually rather clever, other is just trying to be outrageous on purpose imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

I enjoy Tierney. most Irish comedians are utterly ****e anyway.

• Advertisement

Taste is subjective like!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

He's about as funny as a burning orphanage. His "comedy" is quite observational. His observations are mostly rubbish. He moves towards vulgarity to get a laugh most times

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I think he's funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭booooring!

He's no mr'
    s brown

Don't think I've ever laughed as much watching any other stand up comedian, he is brilliant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I'm so glad I'm in the majority on this.
    He's a vulgar little man.

Don't think I've ever laughed as much watching any other stand up comedian, he is brilliant!
    Billy Connolly Mid Eighties?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

The funniest thing he ever said was on that documentary he did about making it in the States and he said that he hoped to get a HBO special. I pissed myself laughing when he said that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

Half the time he seems to just fall back on that Irish comedian trope of just ending a sentence with an Irish place name instead of a punchline.

"Something something something Ballyhaunis"

*crowd roars with laughter*

Hate that.

• Advertisement

I can tell, as it's blatantly obvious, that some of the posters on this thread (particularly the more ott negative posters) haven't actually viewed any of Tommy's material for a very long time, if ever ......... their descriptions of his material are, quite simply, factually incorrect ......... it's like they've overheard somebody else's criticism of Tommy and are doing their best to remember/write what they overheard.

Advertisement