Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you find Tommy Tiernan funny?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

I don't even see why him being shouty is criticised. It's not all that he is. Bill Burr is very shouty too. Doesn't mean that's all his comedy is.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    I don't even see why him being shouty is criticised. It's not all that he is. Bill Burr is very shouty too. Doesn't mean that's all his comedy is.

It's a hack tactic used in comedy to deflect from the fact that you have no jokes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

It's a hack tactic used in comedy to deflect from the fact that you have no jokes.

But it's not an either or situation. You can be shouty and have the jokes to back it up. Bill Burr that Tarzana mentioned is a perfect example of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

no it's not

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Have watched his first DVD countless times he was funny then and lost it soon after, Ireland still had the punt that tells you how long ago it was!

• Advertisement

But not always. And if punters can't differentiate, that's their problem and they're not sharp as they think. All comedians have a shtick, even Dylan Moran and Bill Hicks and George Carlin and whoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Stewart lee for example neither shouts (much) or has jokes and is amazing!

Stewart lee for example neither shouts (much) or has jokes and is amazing!

Arrah, he's grrrraaand but not without problems as a stand up himself. The bitter preachiness, even if it is an act, can be wearying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

being popular in Australia is a bad thing isn't it?

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,689 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I saw him back in 1998 or 99, it was a very different show. He was awfully quiet, almost like his character in Father Ted. I don't recall him getting any laughs and he was booed off stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Billy86 wrote: »
    I'll agree in terms of awards and the likes not meaning anything in something as subjective as comedy, but having the kind of international reach that Dylan Moran's stuff has had really does set him apart from the others to come from Ireland, in my opinion. Then again, I don't tend to find Irish stand ups in general to be very good - for a nation known for or wit (and/or that likes to think of ourselves in such a light), we really are not very good at producing comedy.

But that's a whole separate gripe of mine. :p

I agree, Ireland does not produce great Comics .......... Dylan Moran actually proves that point as, although being quite good, he is not amazing yet he is one of the best we've produced which is slightly embarrassing.

MadDog76 wrote: »
    I agree, Ireland does not produce great Comics .......... Dylan Moran actually proves that point as, although being quite good, he is not amazing yet he is one of the best we've produced which is slightly embarrassing.

The UK is full of top class comedians and Dylan is regarded with the best. He's better than quite good.

The UK is full of top class comedians and Dylan is regarded with the best. He's better than quite good.

Again, that is subjective ........ for me, he is quite good ......... sometimes even very good ........ but only sometimes. :)

Again, that is subjective ........ for me, he is quite good ......... sometimes even very good ........ but only sometimes. :)

Agreed, it is subjective. But to say he isn't highly regarded outside of Ireland is wrong.

Agreed, it is subjective. But to say he isn't highly regarded outside of Ireland is wrong.

That's true, he is ........... I just wish we had better than him to show off ........ still a fan of his though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

osarusan wrote: »
    People find different things and comedians funny. It's all subjective.

You know there's something wrong though when people are laughing and he hasn't even said anything funny yet. This happens with Tiernan a lot. He just puts on his hapless voice and people are already starting to laugh.

They're laughing at when he puts on his special funny voice. It's infant-like and sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Brian from Bray

Not one bit funny tbh just loud and annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I have no issue with people's personal opinions on Comics or Singers or Actors or whatever but let me ask you this ......... do you agree with the Op?

That people who find Tommy Tiernan funny are just pretending to find him funny because they have convinced themselves that he's funny??

Or do they (me) actually just find him funny?
    Do I think they're lying? No, I think people have different senses of humour so some people will find him funny and some will find him unfunny and both are correct. People who like him aren't lying and people who don't like him aren't lazy or Ill-informed.

Dylan Moran, Dara O'Briain, Andrew Maxwell, Ardal O'Hanlon, Colin Murphy... Yeah, ireland doesn't produce internationally popular, successful comediaans at all...

kylith wrote: »
    Do I think they're lying? No, I think people have different senses of humour so some people will find him funny and some will find him unfunny and both are correct. People who like him aren't lying and people who don't like him aren't lazy or Ill-informed.

Dylan Moran, Dara O'Briain, Andrew Maxwell, Ardal O'Hanlon, Colin Murphy... Yeah, ireland doesn't produce internationally popular, successful comediaans at all...

Andrew Maxwell, Ardal O'Hanlon and Colin Murphy ......... the standard is low.

I do like Dara O'Briain though! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Again, that's your opinion. I like some of them more than others, but they are all very popular. Such is the way of personal preferences and opinions. No-one gets to decide that someone objectively is or isn't funny just because they like them or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Well I don't find him funny but I guess I can understand why people do like him. But everyone has different tastes, for instance my best friends favourite tv show is the big bang theory. In my opinion is the least funny show to ever hit the TV, the cartoons my little sister watches have more quality to their jokes tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

So what you're saying is that there is no such thing as an unfunny comedian.

No.

What he was saying is that there's no such thing as an objectively funny comedian.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

No, its an expressive delivery method. Dylan Moran, who has been getting plenty of love on this thread, shouts all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

I do like Dara O'Briain though! :)

Again, this is all down to personal opinion; I cant believe this thread has gone on for 14 pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I do find him quite entertaining, but he can be a bit, shall we say, intense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

If anyone finds him funny they are just wrong.

He is s**t.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Dara O'Briain is the most unfunny comedian ever. He talks way too fast. It's like listening to an auction.

Tommy is a bit shouty but his material is good. I'd prefer Dylan Moran or John Bishop though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    If anyone finds him funny they are just wrong.

He is s**t.
    You have made me rethink my whole life, what if I'm wrong about everything?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

My wife thinks he the most unfunny 'comedian' ever. I love him and his style of comedy. My wife thinks Des Bishop is very funny and loves his shows. I think he's just a ****e American trying to be a comedian by putting on a Tipperary accent and failing.

• Advertisement

My wife thinks he the most unfunny 'comedian' ever. I love him and his style of comedy. My wife thinks Des Bishop is very funny and loves his shows. I think he's just a ****e American trying to be a comedian by putting on a Tipperary accent and failing.

I love Des Bishop, a very self-aware funny Comic.

Advertisement