Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you find Tommy Tiernan funny?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 266 ✭✭Clive Bisquette

To answer your question, humour is subjective. Some people find Richie Kavanagh funny.

Don't beat yourself over it kiddo, you seem very perplexed over it.

Poster has every right to raise this question Dr.

I find Tiernan about as funny as a dose of ring rash and I cannot see how shouting inanities can be remotely amusing.

Grant you the migrant crisis or the huge rise in rural crime may be more important issues but the question of whether Tommy Tiernan is funny or not deserves to be debated .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

The one with the drug Olympics was ridiculously funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

He shouted for a year or two. His first 3 DVDs are the funniest stuff I have watched.

Laughing at a funeral.
    Womens periods.
    Drug Olympics.
    Irish during the Celtic tiger with Aldi skiing gear.

Some golden ones.

His new stuff is a return to form.
    I agree on the point that people probably listened to someone saying he curses all the time to let laughs.

Blatantly untrue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Saw him in Kilkenny one year, (a sold out gig obviously). It was a bit like being the designated driver where everyone around you is scuttered drunk and pissing themselves laughing. I was just looking around at everyone convulsed in laughter and wondering why I was finding him to be as funny as cancer.
    That same night I saw Stewart Francis get up on a tiny stage in front of 30 people in a pub and do one liners for 7 minutes. It was incredible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

osarusan wrote: »
    Except Andrew Maxwell, he's objectively shite.

Guardian doesn't think so.

http://www.theguardian.com/stage/2014/aug/12/edinburgh-festival-2014-review-andrew-maxwell-scottish-independence-referendum

It's amazing how annoyed people get at comedian's they don't fund funny (and I include myself in this). Instead of "I don't find him/her funny" people insist that they simply aren't funny and anyone who does think they are is just fooling themselves because they believe they're supposed to think they're funny.

It doesn't really make sense. If Tommy Tiernan wasn't funny and wasn't capable of writing jokes at all then how has become one of the most successful comedians Ireland has ever produced?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭secman

Lee Evans, no.
    Brendan O'Carroll, no.
    Jason Byrne, no.

Harry Hill, yes.

Harry Hill is typical UK humour which I just don't get. Same as that Keith Lemon , jesus wept he's cat. Saw Tommy Tiernan live early this year, laughted from start to finish.. a great night..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Knock Knock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭booooring!

Knock Knock.

Cock Cock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Knock Knock.

who's there ya prick?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jungleman

who's there ya prick?

The police. I'm afraid there's been a terrible accident.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 205 ✭✭Datallus

Poll fail, there's no "I don't know" option.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭briany

Loved Tommy Tiernan's early stuff when he was all fresh-faced and clean shaven. His act, back then, had a nice rhythm to it and it came off as genuine. I don't know if the Tommy Tiernan of today is who he actually is or playing to what people expect him to be which is a mad-headed jolly craicster who rants about god, and the rain, and just what it means to be Irish.

Same thing is true of Moran. Brilliant when he started out, and for a good few years to follow. Very much following in the footsteps of Dave Allen's style, I thought. Last DVD I saw of him, he was kind of grinning as he delivered his bits as if he was in on the joke, rather than us laughing at his sincere world-weary musings.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭briany

secman wrote: »
    Harry Hill is typical UK humour which I just don't get. Same as that Keith Lemon , jesus wept he's cat. Saw Tommy Tiernan live early this year, laughted from start to finish.. a great night..

Harry Hill was one of the very best standups, for me. He had a little bit of everything in his act from great one liners, "Gamblers Anonymous....How do they know where to send your winnings?" to surreal stories like the one where he and his brothers kept on making the potato mash scoop bigger so they'd get more mash for dinner. His last standup DVD, Hooves, included musical numbers, sight gags, audience participation and there was even kids at it. There aren't many comedians, these days, who would be considered both "comedians' comedians" and be able to put on a regular show that would appeal to and be appropriate for all ages.

He's associated with TV Burp so much now that it's easy to forget that he was damn good live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Dr. Mantis Toboggan

Poster has every right to raise this question Dr.

I find Tiernan about as funny as a dose of ring rash and I cannot see how shouting inanities can be remotely amusing.

Grant you the migrant crisis or the huge rise in rural crime may be more important issues but the question of whether Tommy Tiernan is funny or not deserves to be debated .
    Very true Clive, it is worthy of debate in these hallowed halls of discussion, but the earnestness of the OP's approach seemed a bit over powering. It's hardly the end of the world.

Comedy is no laughing matter apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

A comedic genius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭se02orqua5xz9v

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    It doesn't really make sense. If Tommy Tiernan wasn't funny and wasn't capable of writing jokes at all then how has become one of the most successful comedians Ireland has ever produced?

As I said before, it's Emperor's New Clothes syndrome.

That, mixed with mass delusion.

No one wanted to be the one person who didn't laugh at Tommy Tiernan, so they all 'laughed'. After a while, the forced laughter seemed natural, because people had convinced themselves Tiernan was funny.

There is a reason people like Dara O Briain, who is no less Irish than Tiernan, is massive in Britain, and Tiernan is only massive among Irish expats living abroad (though he was on the cusp of international fame when he won the Perrier back in the 1990s).

O Briain is simply a much smarter, harder-working and objectively better comedian.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

Tiernan to me is like a less abusive, Irish version of Roy Chubby Brown, talentless and boring.

In contrast i do enjoy Dara O'Briain, Ed Byrne, Hugh Dennis and Bill Bailey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

As I said before, it's Emperor's New Clothes syndrome.

That, mixed with mass delusion.

No one wanted to be the one person who didn't laugh at Tommy Tiernan, so they all 'laughed'. After a while, the forced laughter seemed natural, because people had convinced themselves Tiernan was funny.

There is a reason people like Dara O Briain, who is no less Irish than Tiernan, is massive in Britain, and Tiernan is only massive among Irish expats living abroad (though he was on the cusp of international fame when he won the Perrier back in the 1990s).

O Briain is simply a much smarter, harder-working and objectively better comedian.

Open your mind real wide here .......... is it possible that some people (quite a lot actually!) just find him funny?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Tommy is of course funny, and naturally very funny at that (as opposed to some comedians who need to work hard at it). He is one of those guys that would crack people up at school, with little or no effort.

First seen him in the International many moons ago now and it was obvious he was destined for great success. His Declan Moffit material was, and is, genius. As was much of his school days based material.Where I think he drifted off track was when new material began to dry up. I think he started doing the radio stuff with Hector at that point in a vain attempt to try and recapture some of his old magic once again. That was also around the time he appeared on TLLS when G.Ryan was hosting it and got annoyed when Gerry gave the punchline of his gag away. A younger Tommy would not have been nearly as bothered.

Few months after that he came into the Ha'penny (as he often did) to try out some new material and it was really strange. Abstract nonsense, you could tell he was just lost, and it was just met with awkward silence. In response he just said in a mocking tone 'Yeah, that's not best there Tommy, are ya well in yourself these days at all" or something similar and cracked everyone up. Seen him shortly after that in the Iveagh Gardens and he was amazing. Six months later in Vicar St, though, I almost walked out he was that bad. I guess he's at the stage of his career now that lots of comedians hit after a lot of success. He can't keep doing old stuff as he will get slated and his new stuff is just not good. It's interesting, but not really all that funny. Many bands have one or two great albums and never go on to produce anything close to their best again. No reason why it shoukd be different for comedians. Only the very best are great up until the end.

But, in saying that, it's not really up for debate if he was ever funny or not, as what he has achieved so far, makes it patently clear that he was, very much so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭johnny osbourne

i heart tommy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭crazyguy01

I think he has his fantastic side-splitting moments and I also have watched a gag/routine thinking "just give up, not one bit funny".

I can recall his appearance on the Alan Davies show " As yet untitled " and Alan, Jimmy Carr and the other 2 comedian guests on the panel (all also English but can't recall names right now) seemed to have great respect for him as a stand-up!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

MadDog76 wrote: »
    Open your mind real wide here .......... is it possible that some people (quite a lot actually!) just find him funny?

Humour is a hugely subjective thing.

Assuming that just because it doesn't appeal to you means it can't possibly appeal to others is what's delusional, in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Ruu wrote: »
    He is very shouty.

It's a Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaavan thing, Hecktor the other eejit and a few others that claim Naaaaaaaaaaaaaavan as their birthplace are just as shouty and unfunny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

He's not NOT funny...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭johnny osbourne

navan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

He has made me laugh but not in a long, long time. Plus, he is very po-faced about the whole thing in interviews.

But, OP, some people find him funny, I'm sure they know what they like.

osarusan wrote: »
    People find different things and comedians funny. It's all subjective.

Except Andrew Maxwell, he's objectively shite.

See, I like Andrew Maxwell. An unpopular opinion whenever I mention it but I wouldn't let that sway me.
    mrcheez wrote: »
    Sarcasm I hope ... haven't laughed at a single Harry Hill moment.

Er, no, different people liking different things. His humour is indeed tame. Does all humour have to be edgy? I'm just looking for funny myself, be it witty or based on silliness or whatever. He makes me laugh.
    Duck Soup wrote: »
    In fairness, Michael McIntyre is also objectively a big steaming pile.

Nah, it's still subjective. I don't like him but what is with people turning into massive babies when it comes to comedians they don't like?

"Humour is subjective! Oh, except for that guy. Because I don't like him, nobody should. He's objectively bad." It's just pompous, dick-measuring nonsense.

Don't think I've ever laughed as much watching any other stand up comedian, he is brilliant!

Even when he's being blasphemous?
    AnonoBoy wrote: »
    It's amazing how annoyed people get at comedian's they don't fund funny (and I include myself in this). Instead of "I don't find him/her funny" people insist that they simply aren't funny and anyone who does think they are is just fooling themselves because they believe they're supposed to think they're funny.

I totally agree. It's so childish. But is presented as the complainer being some kind of comedy connoisseur.
    briany wrote: »
    Harry Hill was one of the very best standups, for me. He had a little bit of everything in his act from great one liners, "Gamblers Anonymous....How do they know where to send your winnings?" to surreal stories like the one where he and his brothers kept on making the potato mash scoop bigger so they'd get more mash for dinner. His last standup DVD, Hooves, included musical numbers, sight gags, audience participation and there was even kids at it. There aren't many comedians, these days, who would be considered both "comedians' comedians" and be able to put on a regular show that would appeal to and be appropriate for all ages.

He's associated with TV Burp so much now that it's easy to forget that he was damn good live.

TV Burp was excellent though, to me at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭se02orqua5xz9v

His Declan Moffit material was, and is, genius.

You and I have very different definitions of 'genius'. I love good stand ups, but I wouldn't consider any of their work genius - not Richard Pryor, not George Carlin, not Lenny Bruce - and I've listened to hours and hours of all those guys.
    But, in saying that, it's not really up for debate if he was ever funny or not, as what he has achieved so far, makes it patently clear that he was, very much so.

Because he has sold so concert tickets, it isn't up for debate whether or not he is funny?

By that rationale, it isn't up for debate whether Andrew Dice Clay is funny, as he's sold a lot more tickets and Tiernan ever has.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

His earlier stuff had some very good moments, but on the whole... no. He tries too hard, and ha become a caricature of himself. That Dylan fella he went to school with though, is the finest stand up this country has ever produced and one of the best from anywhere in the last 20 years, or possibly ever.

Advertisement