Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

CIP4 wrote: »
    Do people reckon main dealers will close down soon ? Just I will need to get my car serviced probably be due in about 3 weeks but I am thinking I should maybe just get it done early next week to be safe. Maybe the service departments will stay open depends if they are considered essential.

That's a tough one as some may decide it's not worth the risk, if worst case happened could you do oil filter and oil change yourself and obviously get it done when things are back running for stamp in book.

Issues are staff getting into a car, you could have the virus or have had someone in it that does.
    Then this could be picked up....

What could be done is have owners drive car to bay, get out walk away, keep distance and then get car from bay and leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Might cause problems if you've do any work inside the car. It's a tricky one but I'd imagine they wont close unless its mandatory from the government

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Do people reckon main dealers will close down soon ? Just I will need to get my car serviced probably be due in about 3 weeks but I am thinking I should maybe just get it done early next week to be safe. Maybe the service departments will stay open depends if they are considered essential.

I reckon we'll be closed by the end of the week. That's what we are expecting at the minute but nothing set in stone.

If you are servicing with Keanes, they use long life oil in everything anyway, so if you run a bit over the 15k interval I wouldn't worry too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

I reckon we'll be closed by the end of the week. That's what we are expecting at the minute but nothing set in stone.

If you are servicing with Keanes, they use long life oil in everything anyway, so if you run a bit over the 15k interval I wouldn't worry too much.

Yes I’ll see. Last service would of been done in Keanes. Was thinking this might be the last week to get it done about 1300km till it’s actually due. With what’s going on I have been moved to shift in work so will actually have a few days off next week during the week which I wouldn’t normally have.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Have my first service due tomorrow so hoping it dosnt get cancelled. About 200km shy of 15k

• Advertisement

Issues are staff getting into a car, you could have the virus or have had someone in it that does.
    Then this could be picked up....

Few pairs of latex gloves per service & that issue is sorted IMO & from all guidance so far regarding hard surfaces & hand contact etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Augeo wrote: »
    Few pairs of latex gloves per service & that issue is sorted IMO & from all guidance so far regarding hard surfaces & hand contact etc

Also have the issue of people test driving cars,customers driving courtesy cars,people touching the showroom cars etc. Theres so many issues with so many situations, that whole thing is just a mess

Yes I’ll see. Last service would of been done in Keanes. Was thinking this might be the last week to get it done about 1300km till it’s actually due. With what’s going on I have been moved to shift in work so will actually have a few days off next week during the week which I wouldn’t normally have.

Do me a favour and stay at home so we can stay at home :)

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Also have the issue of people test driving cars,customers driving courtesy cars,people touching the showroom cars etc. Theres so many issues with so many situations, that whole thing is just a mess

Last 6 times I was in a main dealer showroom getting my yoke serviced (3 services, collection and return) I didn't touch anything except the door.

We will likely be months dealing with life with risk of contracting corona..... Shutting down businesses for that length of time needs to be avoided if possible.

Do me a favour and stay at home so we can stay at home :)

Ah yes I think I will put it off can use one of the other cars at home if I end up running way over.

Wish it was as simple for all of us, as turning off the lights and locking up the doors. It’s not possible where I work anyway granted the majority of staff can and are working from home.

• Advertisement

Wish it was as simple for all of us, as turning off the lights and locking up the doors. It’s not possible where I work anyway granted the majority of staff can and are working from home.

Well this is it I suppose, if your work is in an essential service it must go on. It does make sense to call off non essential services though (excuse the pun). We're getting ahead of ourselves anyway, could be working yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

That’s very easy to say when you don’t have to be there doing the work.

I have to go into work tomorrow, risk infection from multiple sources and the head home to my parents who are both in their late 60’s and one of whims has asthma.

You do not need your car serviced as urgently as we need to be safe. Your attitude stinks.

Just see on FB a local main dealer has decided to shut down. Once a few do it all will follow you’d imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Say you lads in the garages will have a better idea tomorrow of how the week is going to pan out tbh as will many people. Even heard when I was in the curry shop today that they'll probably be closed by Tuesday.

I work in third party logistics and we haven't stopped at all since last week due to the supermarket situation. The joys.

CianRyan wrote: »
    That’s very easy to say when you don’t have to be there doing the work.

I have to go into work tomorrow, risk infection from multiple sources and the head home to my parents who are both in their late 60’s and one of whims has asthma.

You do not need your car serviced as urgently as we need to be safe. Your attitude stinks.

I'll be at work myself in a facility where there are hundreds (as opposed to the usual thousands) ..... We will all be taking precautions along the lines I described with the gloves etc. Stay 2m away from folk etc etc and don't stay in anyone's company for more then a few minutes. Presumably you are working in a ventilated garage.... You are in a low risk environment if you follow guidelines.

Wind your neck in also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

I'll be at work myself in a facility where there are hundreds (as opposed to the usual thousands) ..... We will all be taking precautions along the lines I described with the gloves etc. Stay 2m away from folk etc etc and don't stay in anyone's company for more then a few minutes. Presumably you are working in a ventilated garage.... You are in a low risk environment if you follow guidelines.

Wind your neck in also.

Is dealing with the public, working in close proximity to others and getting into random peoples cars all day a low risk environment?

Interslice wrote: »
    Is dealing with the public, working in close proximity to others and getting into random peoples cars all day a low risk environment?

Apprentice mechanics deal with the public?
    Getting into random people's cars is indeed low risk if there's no one else in there and you wear gloves and remove them prior to touching your face etc.
    Do mechanics work within 2m of others for in excess of 15 minutes.... If so can they avoid doing so.... If they can it's low risk.... Extremely low. I'm not making any of this up, it's WHO guidelines.
    Taxi's are AFAIK still running in Italy..... And most certainly in Ireland. Mechanics are most certainly in a low risk job.

I will not reel my neck in, not when I'm speaking for the protection of myself and others.
    If you choose to act so frivolously I can not stop you but I feel obliged to remind you that your actions do not only effect yourself.
    Cars will still run whether I service them or not, that is a given.

Yes I do have to work very closely with other people, yes I do have to come face to face with the public every day.
    It's a lot easier said than done to not touch your face all day after touching either a glove or tool that hasn't been disinfected, working on cars can be hard work, especially in humid weather like we're currently having. Simply wiping sweat from my eyes or the likes is a instinct and not something easily controlled while in a work flow.

I will do everything I can to keep myself and my family safe but if people like you keep insisting there's nothing wrong and it will all be fine if we just wear gloves (which is a myth as this virus is not transmittable by skin contact) that puts people like myself in a difficult situation.

Have some empathy for others, it will go a long way in the current climate.

To be fair though what about us all that work in food/pharma manufacturing plants, supermarkets, pharmacies, supply chain / logistics side of things to move all the goods around. If all of us decided we should stay at home people would quite literally starve / run out of vital medication. That’s not to mention health care workers and all that side of things.

I agree with you Cian cars being slightly overdue a service won’t be the end of the world and is probably best dealers close. But please don’t have the attitude that everyone who goes to work is selfish and should be at home to stop the spread.

If you knew the measures where I work are taking to stay going (and many other businesses) it would scare you. But ultimately the products we make are needed they aren’t optional there is no we will stop the place for two weeks and see how things go. I didn’t want to have to work Patrick’s days or next weekend but I will and will do a lot more than that if it comes to it.

Over the coming weeks there are a lot of people in Ireland going to make big sacrifices so everyone else can stay at home and be in a comfortable position and hopefully stop the spread of this virus.

I will not reel my neck in, not when I'm speaking for the protection of myself and others.
    If you choose to act so frivolously I can not stop you but I feel obliged to remind you that your actions do not only effect yourself.
    Cars will still run whether I service them or not, that is a given......

How am I acting frivolously?

I ...... Simply wiping sweat from my eyes or the likes is a instinct and not something easily controlled while in a work flow.

I will do everything I can to keep myself and my family safe but if people like you keep insisting there's nothing wrong and it will all be fine if we just wear gloves (which is a myth as this virus is not transmittable by skin contact) that puts people like myself in a difficult situation.

Have some empathy for others, it will go a long way in the current climate.

Wipe all the sweat away as you feel fit.

Gloves are so you don't touch a surface in the car that was sneezed on etc...change them after getting out of sanitise them. I said nothing about skin to skin contact so your myth theories aren't applicable to my comments.

If you really want to do all you can then self isolate if you think work is a risk. No doubt you wont do that though.

How do you come into contact with the public?

• Advertisement

........ But please don’t have the attitude that everyone who goes to work is selfish and should be at home to stop the spread.

If you knew the measures where I work are taking to stay going (and many other businesses) it would scare you. But ultimately the products we make are needed they aren’t optional there is no we will stop the place for two weeks and see how things go. I didn’t want to have to work Patrick’s days or next weekend but I will and will do a lot more than that if it comes to it.

Over the coming weeks there are a lot of people in Ireland going to make big sacrifices so everyone else can stay at home and be in a comfortable position and hopefully stop the spread of this virus.

Going to work is frivolous according to Cian.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Ye i looked it up. According to the WHO. A lap dancer in wulang. Pair of gloves, less than 15 minutes. Low risk job.

Ye i looked it up. According to the WHO. A lap dancer in wulang. Pair of gloves, less than 15 minutes. Low risk job.

I don't think a lapdancer and a 3rd year apprentice mechanic have similar jobs.
    Pubs & clubs are now closed in Ireland iirc btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I don't think a lapdancer and a 3rd year apprentice mechanic have similar jobs.
    Pubs & clubs are now closed in Ireland iirc btw.

4th year apprentice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Obviously not the most important of things at the moment but does anyone know if clamping on public streets is being enforced as normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,848 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Cianos wrote: »
    Obviously not the most important of things at the moment but does anyone know if clamping on public streets is being enforced as normal?

Honestly, clamping will outlive the ****in cockroaches.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,065 ✭✭✭✭beertons

If it is the belt that went most of the valves and maybe pistons will be wrecked.

Hopefully it was misdiagnosed by the mechanic

Belt was fine. One of the teeth or some of them, that turns the belt broke. Looking likely that a new engine needed. Not that I'll be needing the van till the end of the month though, with the pubs closed, I'm on fulltime child minding duty.

4th year apprentice.

Oh wow. The virus containment module must be in 4th year now :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

beertons wrote: »
    Belt was fine. One of the teeth or some of them, that turns the belt broke. Looking likely that a new engine needed. Not that I'll be needing the van till the end of the month though, with the pubs closed, I'm on fulltime child minding duty.

A tooth broke off a cam gear. Didn't know that would be possible considering it is a softish rubber belt.

• Advertisement

4th year apprentice.

I've added him to my ignore list so I didn't even see that but I appreciate that. :pac:
    I'd be done now too only my last exams were scheduled for last Friday. :(

With regards to production services I agree that they do need to keep running, as do any essentials such a health, security and fire. We need to be protected and we need to eat and have safe drinking water, we don't really need fresh oil or a brand new adidas track suit to get through a pandemic.

Live needs to go on, no doubt but we need to be realistic about what we really need.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement