Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Well for those that are interested. Last week I said I will get a compression test done to the car so I got it done this evening. Piston rings are a bit worn as the wet test brought it up but there is still decent compression for a 22 year old car with over 240,000 km.

Test | Cyl 1 | Cyl 2 | Cyl 3 | Cyl 4
    Dry | 169 | 178 | 171 | 168
    Wet | 209 | 222 | 208 | 213

Did the mechanic have any suggestions as to why it rolls down hills in gear?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Did the mechanic have any suggestions as to why it rolls down hills in gear?

Done it myself. Bought a compression tester on garage equipment. Then watched a few videos on how to do it. Scotty Kilmer(quick straight to the point video) and Eric the car guy(more detailed and a lot of talking).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,610 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Done it myself. Bought a compression tester on garage equipment. Then watched a few videos on how to do it. Scotty Kilmer(quick straight to the point video) and Eric the car guy(more detailed and a lot of talking).

That Scotty fella is a bit mad in the head

PsychoPete wrote: »
    That Scotty fella is a bit mad in the head

He is mad lying on his back working on cars and at his age. I would have bought a 2 post lift years ago if I was him. I do be cursing trying to work under my car some times. No room to fúcking move your arms around.

He works on cars for videos rather than a full time mechanic but still he works on enough cars that would make me go out and get a lift.

I like his videos though when he is working on cars as it's straight to the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

I had heard of €400 from a main dealer for battery and coding on an F20

Joe Duffy were looking for 307 for one not including coding.

Went on me altogether tonight. Had to be jump started.

Picking up one tomorrow for 110.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Well for those that are interested. Last week I said I will get a compression test done to the car so I got it done this evening. Piston rings are a bit worn as the wet test brought it up but there is still decent compression for a 22 year old car with over 240,000 km.

What gear is it rolling in? Does it roll indefinitely or stop after a meter or two?

I'm very intrigued

Rolls indefinitely in second IIRC

Rolls indefinitely in second IIRC

Does it have drive in 2nd? :D :pac:

Can you rolling bump start it Wotz?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

bazz26 wrote: »
    My car's infotainment system decided to throw a hissy fit yesterday evening. No sound whatsoever from the speakers, parking censors still work on the screen but no beep as you get closer to an object. Bluetooth forgets to pair with your phone every time you get into the car, cannot play any music either via the HDD or through streaming. Ditto with the radio stations, and a warning message comes up on the screen occasionally telling me that there are no warning tones active. Tried rebooting the infotainment system but still not change.

Doing a bit of googling of this and it seems to be a common enough problem and points to the Harman Kardon amp located in the boot. With work and the poor weather/light this time of year I didn't get much opportunity to remove the boot trim to have a look if there was any water lodged in there. I'm getting it looked at next week by a BMW indy to investigate but if it is the amp then they are not cheap. Indy quoted me around 1k plus vat for a new one if it's the amp but it might also be the module it's connected to. There are second hand amps for sale on ebay but they are still pricey enough and your really gambling will they last 6 weeks or 6 years.

Fingers crossed it's the cheaper module, I'd hate to think what BMW would charge. The car is 5 years old so well outside warranty, I've had it 2 years and this is the first time it's given me any sort of grief. The joys of it.

Just an update on this. Had the car checked out and it turns out that it is indeed the Amp, the main base board is fried so non repairable. A brand new Amp is close to €1500 plus the cost of re-coding it. Plus point is that the new Amp will come with a 12 month warranty.

I've been recommended another person who I spoke with over the phone this morning, they have a few second hand Amps but will need to check if they are compatible with my car. They are looking for €400 including re-coding.

It's a no brainer to go with the second hand Amp, I could buy a few of them for the price of a new one. Fingers crossed he has a compatible Amp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭moby2101

Did you try BMW for some good will on this ?

Infotainment system would be classed as a fairly integral part of a cars features nowadays I would have thought?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Was the issue caused by water do you think bazz?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I think BMW should be presented with an award by boards.ie for being the most unreliable brand in the motors forum :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

moby2101 wrote: »
    Did you try BMW for some good will on this ?

Infotainment system would be classed as a fairly integral part of a cars features nowadays I would have thought?

I rang the local dealer alright but they want to diagnose the problem before they would apply for goodwill which is to be expected. However they were not very confident that BMW would contribute goodwill even though this seems to be a fairly common problem if you search the web. I just didn't get the impression from the dealer that they had much interest in pushing BMW to offer goodwill as they already know the answer so I'm not going to give them money to confirm what I already know anyway so that BMW can tell me they won't cover any of the replacement cost.

If the dealer is not pushing your case with the manufacturer then your wasting your time and money on a futile exercise imo. I'd have no problem paying them to diagnose the problem again if I knew BMW would give goodwill based on that diagnostic.
    Wailin wrote: »
    Was the issue caused by water do you think bazz?

They reckon it was caused by moisture over time alright but couldn't find any sign of water ingress in the boot. They took photos of the fried board before reassembling it. Apparently the AMP gets hot and has a built in cooler fan but due to the bad design and position of the board, moisture condenses over time when the cold air from the fan hits the hot Amp. I checked the part on real oem and the replacement part is a different part number to the original so they apparently made some changes to the AMP or cooling system from about 2016 onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

My car is up and running with its new engine. Just some further testing and a final check tomorrow and should be picking it up on Thursday :)

My car is up and running with its new engine. Just some further testing and a final check tomorrow and should be picking it up on Thursday :)

That’s a result. Hope it won’t be down on power!

That’s a result. Hope it won’t be down on power!

Surely it will be up on power due to a new engine?

Does it have drive in 2nd? :D :pac:

Can you rolling bump start it Wotz?

It does run in second. I had a feeling compression wasn't an issue anyway as the car ran like it had compression. I'm sure if it was down on compression you would know when driving it.

I'm not sure if I can't bump start it. I will try some day I'm on a hill.

It does run in second. I had a feeling compression wasn't an issue anyway as the car ran like it had compression. I'm sure if it was down on compression you would know when driving it.

I'm not sure if I can't bump start it. I will try some day I'm on a hill.

Just seems a bit mad, if it has drive in 2nd I cant see why it would roll in 2nd..

I'm sure you'll get to the bottom of it some time!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

Anyone see on Facebook a post by KGF Classic cars they are basically selling 7 fast Fords 2003-2009 all Focus RS/ST but they are all like brand new and stored never used the pictures are unbelievable cars look literally brand new. I am not even into Fords but have to say a few of them look so good. Even if you had the money to buy one though what would you do hard to buy it and start driving it when it was kept so long with no miles on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

CIP4 wrote: »
    Anyone see on Facebook a post by KGF Classic cars they are basically selling 7 fast Fords 2003-2009 all Focus RS/ST but they are all like brand new and stored never used the pictures are unbelievable cars look literally brand new. I am not even into Fords but have to say a few of them look so good. Even if you had the money to buy one though what would you do hard to buy it and start driving it when it was kept so long with no miles on it.

Seen that, keeping a car sitting since new is dumb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,610 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Fast fords are meant to be used and abused, such a waste to leave them sitting up

Only thing I can think of is he bought them deliberately to store them and sell them a few years down the line for a profit. As it is a heated shed as well so he knew what he was doing.

Tbh it's a bit early to be selling them. He would make more money if he kept them to sell further down the line but then again with the way things are going ICE engines will be a thing of the past in the future. I don't know when exactly but they will ban then eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

One of them has 7 miles on the clock. I don't get the fascination in buying sonething like that just for them to lay idle for years but then again maybe the owner had plans to sell them further down the line but circumstances have changed. I highly doubt he's making a profit on the mk2s anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

Only thing I can think of is he bought them deliberately to store them and sell them a few years down the line for a profit. As it is a heated shed as well so he knew what he was doing.
    One of them has 7 miles on the clock. I don't get the fascination in buying sonething like that just for them to lay idle for years but then again maybe the owner had plans to sell them further down the line but circumstances have changed. I highly doubt he's making a profit on the mk2s anyways.

Yes the guy is obviously quite wealthy and likely into Fords the fact he could afford to buy a car for 30k/40k every year and leave it sitting up for 15 years and think nothing of it. I am assuming the Mk2s would be worth more than their new price at this point. Chances are buying the cars was just something a bit different to do with their money doubt it was their only investment strategy.

The idea of buying a new car and parking it up for years on end is alien to me actually if I did it the car would probably do well to be parked up for a week before I wouldn't be able to resist anymore and would have it out on the road. But then I don't buy cars to make money on them quite the opposite actually :pac: I just drive them and don't care about mileage.

I know a few people who have very normal cars and it seems like their life mission to avoid driving them just to keep the mileage down on them which I don't get at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,473 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yes the guy is obviously quite wealthy and likely into Fords the fact he could afford to buy a car for 30k/40k every year and leave it sitting up for 15 years and think nothing of it. I am assuming the Mk2s would be worth more than their new price at this point. Chances are buying the cars was just something a bit different to do with their money doubt it was their only investment strategy.

The idea of buying a new car and parking it up for years on end is alien to me actually if I did it the car would probably do well to be parked up for a week before I wouldn't be able to resist anymore and would have it out on the road. But then I don't buy cars to make money on them quite the opposite actually :pac: I just drive them and don't care about mileage.

I know a few people who have very normal cars and it seems like their life mission to avoid driving them just to keep the mileage down on them which I don't get at all.

It's like not sleeping with your significant other to keep them for the next partner.

Many are very cautious of exceeding PCP mileage terms even though the extra kms likely won't have any effect.

Folk get very funny about small enough money. Buy a new car for €30k that has a GFMV of 40 odd % of that and are happy enough but then seem terrified of losing a few hundred more due to a bit of mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Pops_20

I renewed my driving licence last week. It arrived in the post yesterday. First time having the new style licence.

Anyway, what I noticed is that the A category (motorcycles) is now included on this licence, despite not ever passing the motorcycle test or ever riding a bike.

Is this normal? Or did the NDLS make a mistake?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Pops_20 wrote: »
    I renewed my driving licence last week. It arrived in the post yesterday. First time having the new style licence.

Anyway, what I noticed is that the A category (motorcycles) is now included on this licence, despite not ever passing the motorcycle test or ever riding a bike.

Is this normal? Or did the NDLS make a mistake?

You probably have a code in the right section restricting it back to a trike only

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Which of them do you have, AM, A1, A2 or A?
    Think most of us have the AM one, covers mopeds and quads.

• Advertisement

I don't have my licence on me so can't check but mine has tractors, mopeds and cars with out trailers.

As Tazzimus said there are different bike categories. From 50cc up to powerful race bikes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement