Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

AM Mopeds and Light quadricycles

A1 Motorcycles with an engine capacity not exceeding 125 cubic centimetres, with a power rating not exceeding 11 kW and with a power to weight ratio not exceeding 0.1 kW/kg. Motor tricycles with a power rating not exceeding 15 kW

A2 Motorcycles with a power rating not exceeding 35 kW, with a power to weight ratio not exceeding 0.2 kW/kg and not derived from a vehicle of more than double its power

A Motorcycles and Motor tricycles.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,702 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

It covers trikes only.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Anyone have any dealings with Sean McManus tyres in Drogheda? Seems quite cheap compared to most places in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

I've recently been thinking a lot about changing my car, to something petrol, manual that makes a nicer noises than a diesel looking at everything from hot hatches to V8s. In my head though I know I'll regret it. Had a bit of a spin today with work in my own car, that involved taking some kit from one office to another, and hard to think of a car better than my own for the task.
    IMG-20200311-192948.jpg
    Think I'll stop looking for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Hard to beat those mpg's for the poke you have. I'm consistently getting 31-32 out of my manual R, 350 miles to a a 50L fill when I'm brimming it, I can live with it considering anything 2.0 turbo and petrol wont do much better, maybe a GTi would hit 35 on my regular journeys. It's also been very cheap to insure for me, which is going to offset the increased motor tax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

hooch-85 wrote: »
    Hard to beat those mpg's for the poke you have. I'm consistently getting 31-32 out of my manual R, 350 miles to a a 50L fill when I'm brimming it, I can live with it considering anything 2.0 turbo and petrol wont do much better, maybe a GTi would hit 35 on my regular journeys. It's also been very cheap to insure for me, which is going to offset the increased motor tax.

Getting 33-34 in the GTI
    About 380-390 miles per tank
    Just for comparison!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

I find my GTI cheaper to run than I would of expected. Tax €390, 35 MPG average, insurance isn’t too bad maybe €100-€200 a year more than if I was driving a normal diesel car. Maintenance would be slightly more but even at that wouldn’t be much difference with the cost of a service. Well worth it to me for the petrol engine and extra power.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,072 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Jeez, I broke down earlier in the worst possible spot. If I had thought of it sooner, I would have stayed on the M50 and used the hard shoulder. Towed to the mechanic, suspected timing belt gone.

505401.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

beertons wrote: »
    Jeez, I broke down earlier in the worst possible spot. If I had thought of it sooner, I would have stayed on the M50 and used the hard shoulder. Towed to the mechanic, suspected timing belt gone.

[img]ps://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=505401&d=1584053179[/img]

Disaster. Seen a load of poor bastards broke down today
    out on my rounds. Timing belts are a bit daft on a commercial. Wouldn't have had that with a mk1 connect! Is it on lease or will you be stung for it? My own yolk would be in every second year for a belt nearly.

I know, I was an hour waving yokes out. And I was on the little path inside the crash barrier. It's not a lease job, but the mechanic said to my auld lad a few weeks ago, that he'd do the belt the next time. There's only 150k km on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Is that a interference or non interference engine?

If it's interference your valves and pistons could be gone. Expensive fix. Probably cheaper to get a second hand engine.

If it's interference your valves and pistons could be gone. Expensive fix. Probably cheaper to get a second hand engine.

I have no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

beertons wrote: »
    I have no idea.

If it is the belt that went most of the valves and maybe pistons will be wrecked.

Hopefully it was misdiagnosed by the mechanic

I've the flu the past two days and I'm not joking. What a time to get it. I'm pretty sure it's just a normal flu. Anyone know if there is a dedicated forum for being sick on here. I see long term illness but I don't have a long term illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,562 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

[...] Anyone know if there is a dedicated forum for being sick on here. I see long term illness but I don't have a long term illness.

There's no short term illness forum here, regrettably. :(

It's interference.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

I've the flu the past two days and I'm not joking. What a time to get it. I'm pretty sure it's just a normal flu. Anyone know if there is a dedicated forum for being sick on here. I see long term illness but I don't have a long term illness.

I would hate to be getting the flu now, even if you were 100% sure and diagnosed as the normal flu you'd be a social pariah :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

My lovely Tina is back and driving like an absolute trooper :D Having been in an F10 520d for the last few weeks the difference is hugely noticeable...much prefer the F30!

49653942323_0345300dba_z.jpg

Huge thanks to Jimmy in Conlans BMW Naas who sorted the whole thing out for me and made sure the exterior wasn't washed. Very professional and great to deal with.

Huge thanks to Jimmy in Conlans BMW Naas who sorted the whole thing out for me and made sure the exterior wasn't washed. Very professional and great to deal with.

Was it them had the M4 you were looking at it?
    With BMW supplying the engine 'tis a pity you didn't get over the line really.
    Great you got the 330 sorted of course.

Augeo wrote: »
    Was it them had the M4 you were looking at it?
    With BMW supplying the engine 'tis a pity you didn't get over the line really.
    Great you got the 330 sorted of course.

No, it was European Prestige Sales who are about 5 minutes away from Conlans.

What do you mean "get over the line"?

• Advertisement

What do you mean "get over the line"?

Well if they had the M4 and if you were close to doing a deal, BMW pay for the engine, Conlons do the labour........... trade in deal might have been managed.

Meaningless as they didn't have the M4 of course.

Augeo wrote: »
    Well if they had the M4 and if you were close to doing a deal, BMW pay for the engine, Conlons do the labour........... trade in deal might have been managed.

Meaningless as they didn't have the M4 of course.

Ah right, I'm with you now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭Dartz

I can't be the only one who sees the empty streets and....

thinks of this

Can nayone think of a good route through Dublin

Dartz wrote: »
    I can't be the only one who sees the empty streets and....

thinks of this

Can nayone think of a good route through Dublin

Known my luck a Garda car would see me booting through the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Not too different to myself flying down the quays and onto Johns Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭jmreire

Tazzimus wrote: »
    AM Mopeds and Light quadricycles

A1 Motorcycles with an engine capacity not exceeding 125 cubic centimetres, with a power rating not exceeding 11 kW and with a power to weight ratio not exceeding 0.1 kW/kg. Motor tricycles with a power rating not exceeding 15 kW

A2 Motorcycles with a power rating not exceeding 35 kW, with a power to weight ratio not exceeding 0.2 kW/kg and not derived from a vehicle of more than double its power

A Motorcycles and Motor tricycles.

AM on my licence too.....will it still cover up to and including 50cc bike /scooter? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

jmreire wrote: »
    AM on my licence too.....will it still cover up to and including 50cc bike /scooter? :rolleyes:
    Mopeds yes, as it's in the description.
    50cc bike will likely be in the A1 category, same as before, as it's a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭jmreire

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Mopeds yes, as it's in the description.
    50cc bike will likely be in the A1 category, same as before, as it's a bike.

That's my Honda 50 out so......( an many moons ago, it was covered, but thing's change !! ) But apparently, my full Licence ( car / truck )will allow me to drive one of the twin front wheel motor bikes, regardless of HP / CC?
    Will start looking at 50cc scooters.... could you recommend one? ( or more? )
    Thanks for your help. :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I'm going to need a larger car, I think, the family's getting bigger.

Problem. I detest SUVs with a passion. Wife likes them. I'm OK with wagons (estates). Wife hates them. We both like horsepower. (So she wants a Cayman, used is fine).
    Though, in fairness, wagons around here are kindof hard to come by. Audi's bringing the RS6 Avant to the US, but there are four problems.
    1) I can't afford one.
    2) Production is already allocated. The dealer near my office is allocated two, there are eight on the waiting list.
    3) I can't afford one. This sounds like #1, but I thought was critical enough to mention again.
    4) Although I fit in one, the person behind me is a bit cramped. (I'm 1.98m)

#4 is not insignificant. I've a 2015 5-series as the family car, and the only way anyone's fitting behind me is if I move my seat forward to a position I don't normally drive in. Plus the boot is astonishingly small. The other cars are pre-family and are not suited to task.

So, I swung by Cadillac for a gander at the CT6-V. It's big, it's cheaper than the German cars, and the 2020 version is getting rave reviews for handling and the engine. With the driver's seat all the way back, an adult can still sit behind me. Unfortunately, for some bizarre reason, Caddy did not put the best interior (Or technology, their Super-Cruise autonomous driving system is very well regarded) on the V-version. They kept it for one level of engine down. It's not bad, I mean it beats Ford or Chevy, but I was astonished by a bit of warping plastic trim on driveshaft housing next to the seat on a car still in the lot. Worse, I swung by the Audi dealer afterwards, and that just blew the Caddy's interior out of the water.

Of course, the equivalent engined Audi is an additional $50,000...

Oh. And Caddy have decided to stop making CT6-Vs. The motoring press are not happy. Caddy finally make a great large sports sedan, and its gone immediately. (The old champ, the CTS-V has been replaced by something the size of a 4-series. And it looks bad.)

Oh well. I've a few months yet before space becomes critical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

Do people reckon main dealers will close down soon ? Just I will need to get my car serviced probably be due in about 3 weeks but I am thinking I should maybe just get it done early next week to be safe. Maybe the service departments will stay open depends if they are considered essential.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement