Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,178 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Wailin wrote: »
    Certainly bazz. I'll be giving it a top up tomorrow once I get some oil. Any recommendations on the best oil for it? I think bmw used to go with Castrol but not anymore as far as I know.

Just checked my last oil change receipt - Castrol Edge Fully Synthetic 0W30 Titanium.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,702 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

CianRyan wrote: »
    Sure Nissan oil lights don't come on until you're down to about half a liter.

Yeah but the oil pressure gauge tells you that too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Yeah but the oil pressure gauge tells you that too :D

If your car is 20 years old and has an oil pressure gauge. Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Anybody else find themselves being directed to old threads when logging in on the mobile?
    happening the last few days to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Yeah, if I got to page two then back to one it seems to sort it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Refresh the page and it sorts it self out.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,091 ✭✭✭✭Esel

This issue has been happening for a week or two.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

It’s funny half the garages seem to be closing down and then the other half are saying they will stay open unless the Government forces them to close. Just seeing this from looking at posts from dealers on FB.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I was looking at a Garage 54 video on YouTube. It's a Russian channel that does some crazy things with cars. So they were trying different fuels all at the same time so I seen a 100. So I was like they get 100RON fuel. So I Googled it and you can get really poor fuel in Russia. The garage dilutes it them selves to rip you off. It is actually quite common. I'm not saying every station is doing it but it is supposedly common enough.

You could ruin your car. Sometimes even diluted with water.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Wailin

Have my car booked in with a main dealer for Monday. Talking to the service guy on the phone they are "business as usual until otherwise instructed to do so" was how he put it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

CIP4 wrote: »
    It’s funny half the garages seem to be closing down and then the other half are saying they will stay open unless the Government forces them to close. Just seeing this from looking at posts from dealers on FB.

I think every garage intended on staying open unless instructed by the government to do otherwise. I think they thought there would be a gradual drop in demand whereas the reality is it's like someone flipped a switch, virtually zero demand overnight.

They can put a brave face on and say it's due to staff and customer health and safety but the reality is the only reason they are shut is that it isn't financially viable to stay open as there is no trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

I think every garage intended on staying open unless instructed by the government to do otherwise. I think they thought there would be a gradual drop in demand whereas the reality is it's like someone flipped a switch, virtually zero demand overnight.

They can put a brave face on and say it's due to staff and customer health and safety but the reality is the only reason they are shut is that it isn't financially viable to stay open as there is no trade.

This is the problem were i work, owner had no intention of closing but orders are being cancelled daily so he said he might not have any choice but to close.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

If they close the employee pay becomes zero unless they pay on top of the €203.

It's very worrying I'm sure for those in the industry like the restaurant and pubs and so on....

It's going to have huge issues for all these directly and then other businesses involved such as suppliers, delivery drivers and companies etc etc.

It's early days but to the nearest 4 cases these are the number of new cases over the last few days ......

12 March 30 cases
    13 March 20 cases
    14 March 40 cases
    15 March 45 cases
    16 March 55 cases
    17 March 70 cases
    18 March 75 cases

If you consider the numbers tested has risen over this period the number of new cases per day isn't rising as you'd have expected.

It seems that school & pub closures etc and social distancing etc are working to an extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭whippet

So my new car that was expected to arrive in the next month will probably be 6 months or so longer away ..... boo !!

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Austmcc

Dropped my car into a main dealer this morning for a service. Business as usual just lots of signs and disinfectants around. Keys getting wiped and sanitized before handover etc. Even throwing in an ozone decontamination thing with the service.

However the replacement for the cupra for the day is a 999cc 2019 ibiza and dear lord it's a gutless piece of garbage. I've driven 1L and 1.2L cars from the early 2000s that had more oomph and more character. The outside looks snazzy enough but the inside looks horrible. Basically lifted out of the plastic parts bin of the late 90s and 2000s with a tiny screen to make it seem modern. I'll stop ranting now, but only cause I should be working...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Austmcc wrote: »
    Dropped my car into a main dealer this morning for a service. Business as usual just lots of signs and disinfectants around. Keys getting wiped and sanitized before handover etc. Even throwing in an ozone decontamination thing with the service.

However the replacement for the cupra for the day is a 999cc 2019 ibiza and dear lord it's a gutless piece of garbage. I've driven 1L and 1.2L cars from the early 2000s that had more oomph and more character. The outside looks snazzy enough but the inside looks horrible. Basically lifted out of the plastic parts bin of the late 90s and 2000s with a tiny screen to make it seem modern. I'll stop ranting now, but only cause I should be working...

It must be the 1.0 MPI (non turbo) model with about 60 bhp? My wife has the 1.0 TSi in FR Spec (nicer seats, steering wheel, gearknob, dials etc. I agree on the dash though, layout is fine but the materials are poor, it's a cheap car so not surprised really) and its a grand car, nippy enough and does about 50 mpg consistently.

I don't know why they continued with gutless the non turbo engine as it's probably no better or even worse on fuel.

hooch-85 wrote: »
    It must be the 1.0 MPI (non turbo) model with about 60 bhp? My wife has the 1.0 TSi in FR Spec (nicer seats, steering wheel, gearknob, dials etc. I agree on the dash though, layout is fine but the materials are poor, it's a cheap car so not surprised really) and its a grand car, nippy enough and does about 50 mpg consistently.

I don't know why they continued with gutless the non turbo engine as it's probably no better or even worse on fuel.

It's a 1.0 mpi 80hp, so without the turbo. In fairness my daily is a circa 200hp 1.8 turbo so they are worlds apart power wise. I expected as much, but it's the interior that's most shocking. But still, pulling out into traffic with an engine like that is a very different and borderline ridiculous chore

Austmcc wrote: »
    It's a 1.0 mpi 80hp, so without the turbo. In fairness my daily is a circa 200hp 1.8 turbo so they are worlds apart power wise. I expected as much, but it's the interior that's most shocking. But still, pulling out into traffic with an engine like that is a very different and borderline ridiculous chore

I feel the same after driving her car and getting back in my Golf R:pac:

In all honesty the TSi engine is much better, she had a 1.4 TDi before and the petrol is a much nicer car to drive

• Registered Users Posts: 73,420 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I had a Fabia estate rental with the 1.0 non turbo and it was surprisingly good.
    Certainly in a different league to the likes of a 1.0 Polo from 20 years ago, or even a 1.0 Yaris (which had roughly 50% more bhp than a Polo)

For what it was, it was surprisingly good.

• Advertisement

I feel the same after driving her car and getting back in my Golf R:pac:

In all honesty the TSi engine is much better, she had a 1.4 TDi before and the petrol is a much nicer car to drive

That's an even bigger jump to make! Stock R or extra fancies?

At least I know I never want to move back down in model or power. Like I didn't think that already.

Stock is plenty for me..but I've only had it three months so you'd never know! Those Cupras are a cracker, next step should be a Leon Cupra. They are getting cheap to buy now.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,689 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I've officially reached the end of interesting youtube car videos after not even a full week of work from home.

It feels weird to be at home for so long, I can't remember the last time my car didnt move for a whole 24 hours!

Yup, from my experience you are bang on there.

Corsa 1.0 33mpg
    1.0 Ibiza 35/37 ish

Captur 0.9 turbo 41mpg

BMW 118i 1.5 3cyl turbo  40mpg over 500 miles
    2019 220i estate auto turbo 2.0 37mpg over 350 miles
    2019 C class 1.5t mild hybrid 40mpg over 480 miles

Apart from a Golf GTi the two yokes bolded were heaviest on fuel of all the petrol rentals I've had. (All the diesels were way better of course)

One outlier from that...... Yaris 1.0 petrol 45mpg, and the Yaris was driven on Autobahn for a few kms every day so was pootling along at north of 140kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,689 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Isnt 40 mpg kind of unremarkable these days for cars designed for economy?

ELM327 wrote: »
    Isnt 40 mpg kind of unremarkable these days for cars designed for economy?

Who is suggesting otherwise?

What engine was in the Ibiza? We noticed with our one it got noticeably more efficient after about 20k kms. Was struggling to get over 40 mpg initially but consistently does near 50 now or even over 50 on a longer run.

Stock is plenty for me..but I've only had it three months so you'd never know! Those Cupras are a cracker, next step should be a Leon Cupra. They are getting cheap to buy now.

Absolutely fair, the R plenty powerful from factory.

Ye I've been eyeing up cupras for years. I'm quite happy with the baby cupra at the mo, and I've had it nearly a year. It'll be hanging around at least a couple more I imagine. I'm always looking at the leon cupra when I see them. Theres one in the showroom of the dealer i have to go back to, so I'll be having a gander as per usual. But won't be throwing any money around.

What engine was in the Ibiza?.........

Dunno except it was 1.0 and no turbo :)

• Advertisement

Augeo wrote: »
    Dunno except it was 1.0 and no turbo :)

Ah yeah the MPI so, the TSi is a far superior engine.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement