Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Sadly my mate is sick.

• Administrators Posts: 54,105 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Ulster rugby CEO Awec in 5 years time:

"Millner-Skudder is no longer welcome in Belfast - someone replaced him on the plane with an imposter, he is released from his contract, ULSTER SAYS NO".

After we’d just won our fourth Heineken cup in a row.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

awec wrote: »

The odds on winning the lottery would be better than 4 Heineken cups for Ulster :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

C'mon Buer. Where the hell are you?!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Lower Abbey Street. Have to go to a meeting at short notice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Will Heineken be sponsoring the Challenge Cup in your future nirvana

Will Heineken be sponsoring the Challenge Cup in your future nirvana

We’ll win all round us when we no longer have the chains of Dublin 4 coiled tightly around us, holding us back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭b.gud

Sometime in the not too distant future a man and his son are walking down Mount Merrion Ave. The son spots an unusually scrawny disheveled looking man pacing back and forth muttering to himself.

Son: "Daddy what's wrong with that man?"
    Father: "He won €175 million on the lottery"
    Son: "But that's a good thing"
    Father: "Not for him son, you see he decided to take over Ulster rugby and remove it from IRFU control so he could sign whatever players he wanted"
    Son: "Cool I bet Ulster won loads of trophies"
    Father: "No I'm afraid not, you see his first move was to sign Ruan Pienaar on a 20 year contract just to stick it to the IRFU. Then he signed one big name player after another who were just interested in a big paycheck"
    Son: "Wow a team of big name players must have done well and attracted huge crowds"
    Father: "Again no. You see in order to pay for all those players he need big sponsorship deals and his main ones were for Harp, potato farls and Darren Caves donuts so all the players ended up wildly out of shape"
    As they drew closer to the man the mumbling became clearer.

disheveled man: ".... It's all the IRFUs fault. It's all the IRFUs fault...."

Son: "Dad what's that brown stain on his shirt?"
    Father: "Come on son lets cross the street"

We’ll win all round us when we no longer have the chains of Dublin 4 coiled tightly around us, holding us back.

Ulstrexit

350m extra per year to spend on south african scrum halves and free harp for all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

so a quick show of hands - ireland switching to left hand drive, yay or nay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

Neil3030 wrote: »

It's a bit late now but it would be a good idea.

It wont happen but it would be great if it did

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Convenience aside, I think I prefer driving LHD at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Could you imagine the amount of accidents in the first few months! Irish people can’t figure out roundabouts as it is.

I see Metro South is now being abandoned.

What do we want? Modern transport infrastructure serving a 21st century city!
    When do we want it? Yesterday and make sure there's absolutely no disruption to anyone whatsoever in delivering it!

I regularly hear about the Luas being at maximum capacity and commuters complaining about the need to improve this service yet the inhabitants of the area (and the politicians, probably more accurately) have caused it to be ditched.

We are doomed to remain in a city that has transport services suitable for the 20th century (just about). Bus Connect, massive objections. Metro South, massive objections and being abandoned. Metro North, massive objections and the plan is having to be altered dramatically because a GAA club would be disrupted. No ground has been broken on any.

• Advertisement

I genuinely look forward to the near future when residents on the Green Line are completely incapable of getting on full trams and start complaining and they can be told to go **** themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Ah lads, move to Galway. We've got none of that Luas hassle. Just sit in your nice warm car going nowhere in traffic for 2 hours a day instead! Simples!

The misinformation from those **** at Rethink Metrolink hasn't helped.

This is a disaster for Dublin south.

The Luas in the mornings and evenings is a total **** show. It is only going to get worse. I think people will only wake up to this when commuters are being turned away from stations, or you have to start buying a special ticket to be able to get on the Luas at peak times. And when that happens, you can guarantee it'll be the same utter **** who blocked this who'll be screaming the loudest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Traffic...What's that? Leave home at 6.20 and the spin in to town is relatively quiet. Leave work about 3.30 and it's a handy spin home leaving plenty of time to watch tipping point and have a quick game of nap roulette on the sofa. Be grand... Remember it's a bag of cans and not a bag of cant's.

And when that happens, you can guarantee it'll be the same utter **** who blocked this who'll be screaming the loudest.

Will it? I'll go out on a limb and say that those screaming the loudest right now don't actually use the Luas a huge amount. I would wager that they're more concerned about maintaining their area and property prices. And the politicians speaking out know full well that those running this campaign are the ones who have the highest voting turnout.

People don't want anything that is going to potentially detract from their area even temporarily whether it's a transport project or housing.

• Advertisement

Buer wrote: »
    Will it? I'll go out on a limb and say that those screaming the loudest right now don't actually use the Luas a huge amount. I would wager that they're more concerned about maintaining their area and property prices. And the politicians speaking out know full well that those running this campaign are the ones who have the highest voting turnout.

People don't want anything that is going to potentially detract from their area even temporarily whether it's a transport project or housing.
    Will you just let me rant?

I am glad I am moving away from the green LUAS.

WFH all day erryday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,722 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I was out in Microsoft for a training course for the past couple days, was a horrible commute from the Northside as it was either M50, the eastlink which is mental in the mornings, or through town.

If the Luas line was extended further out than just running through Cabra or even have park and ride stations further over the Northside that makes it more feasible for us to infect the southsiders with our working class ideologies and bring down their housing prices.

I was out in Microsoft for a training course for the past couple days, was a horrible commute from the Northside as it was either M50, the eastlink which is mental in the mornings, or through town.

Believe me when I say the M50 has been absolutely wonderful this week compared to how it normally is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

If the Luas line was extended further out than just running through Cabra or even have park and ride stations further over the Northside that makes it more feasible for us to infect the southsiders with our working class ideologies and bring down their housing prices.

Tbh the luas is pretty glacial through town. I don't think you'd want to commute much further than Cabra - Sandyford on it, but I guess there are a few ways you can.

From Clonsilla you could get the Maynooth train to Broombridge and then switch to green line. From Killester you could get the Dart to Connnolly then go Red Line (or walk) and then Green Line.

From Skerries you'd get the Connolly train and connect the same way.

I haven't fully looked at what impact heavier rail would have on the suburbs. Is it possible that without upgrading the track or whatever we could get an increased Luas service as far as Charlemont (with a new terminus being built there). It seems sort of crazy to me that we have the same number of trams going through college green per hour as we have on the mostly dedicated Sandyford - Charlemont stretch.

A trip on LCC in town seems to be a waste of money to me. I don't think it's much faster versus walking on a short trip like Parnell to Dawson St.

A trip on LCC in town seems to be a waste of money to me. I don't think it's much faster versus walking on a short trip like Parnell to Dawson St.

It isn't and it won't be until they remove private vehicles from the city centre.

Which they won't do until they improve public transport.

Which the won't do until they remove private vehicles.

Which they won't do until they improve public transport.

Which they won't ......

Shut up Buer and get the feckin' Crunchies outta the car.

I work in the IFSC by Connolly and live in Charlemont. So getting a Green Line to O'Connell and Switching to a red line to Connolly gets me pretty much door to door. It's a 35 minute walk, and around a 25 minute Luas Journey if I don't end up waiting too long and I can do it in line 15 on a Dublin bike. I tend to switch it up between them depending on the weather.

Last night I was going home from Malborough Luas and it was gonna be a 10 minute wait, so I walked it. I think the tram beat me to Harcourt by about 2 minutes. The main advantage on the luas is I can post on boards on my way to work. Harder to do that walking. :):)

Luas Cross City is definitely faster than walking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

troyzer wrote: »
    Podge_irl wrote: »

Would cars become any cheaper for consumers? Imports would become possible from mainland Europe/USA - sure there's VRT to contend with, but I can soon see RHD production slowing down globally post Brexit.

Podge_irl wrote: »

Would cars become any cheaper for consumers? Imports would become possible from mainland Europe/USA - sure there's VRT to contend with, but I can soon see RHD production slowing down globally post Brexit.

As far as I know it's not that much more expensive on a per unit basis to produce RHD but when you're talking about massive factories, 1% gains here and there makes the difference. Anybody who's played that factory simulator game on Steam knows the craic.

There will always be a glut of RHD cars from Europe. Over a third of the planet uses RHD and they're mostly countries which are growing rapidly.

The trend is likely to actually increase towards RHD as Southern Africa and the Indian subcontinent get their **** together.

Why would we bother? You know how hard it is to overtake when you're in a LHD care on the left side of the road. If we switched to driving on the right we'd need to change all our road infrastructure and we still have a border with a Britain.

If Malta hasn't bothered changing we shouldn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Where's this news that the green line upgrade is being cancelled coming from? Heard Shane Ross in the Dail on the news and all he said was he wouldn't countenance the green line being closed for 4 years. Which it never would have been.

Cancelling it would be really really stupid. They can't be that thick can they

As far as I know it's not that much more expensive on a per unit basis to produce RHD but when you're talking about massive factories, 1% gains here and there makes the difference. Anybody who's played that factory simulator game on Steam knows the craic.

There will always be a glut of RHD cars from Europe. Over a third of the planet uses RHD and they're mostly countries which are growing rapidly.

The trend is likely to actually increase towards RHD as Southern Africa and the Indian subcontinent get their **** together.

Not quite true. Some marques, particularly in the commercial end don’t get built in RHD. New innovations can come a Little slower to RHD.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Anyone flown Dublin - London with an infant?

Didn't realise how far the airports are out of the city. Taxis are pricey and not sure about public transport with a 5 month old.

I really, really want to fly into Heathrow and just tube it, but the other half has different ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Synode wrote: »

That’s a bit of a stupid question.

Not quite true. Some marques, particularly in the commercial end don’t get built in RHD. New innovations can come a Little slower to RHD.

There will always be exception in the niché market of course. A lot of Japanese cars aren't available in LHD for example but you're right that LHD countries do get a better selection.
    dregin wrote: »

Didn't realise how far the airports are out of the city. Taxis are pricey and not sure about public transport with a 5 month old.

I really, really want to fly into Heathrow and just tube it, but the other half has different ideas.

Luton is absolutely fine. So is Gatwick.

In terms of getting into the city that is.

There will always be exception in the niché market of course. A lot of Japanese cars aren't available in LHD for example but you're right that LHD countries do get a better selection.

Luton is absolutely fine. So is Gatwick.

In terms of getting into the city that is.
    haha yeah, sorry. Hit the wrong button.

The airport isn't really what concerns me. Getting form there to NW10 is where my confusion lies. Car rental, taxi, public transport?

• Advertisement

Trains called the Gatwick Express go into London Victoria every 15 minutes, journey takes about half an hour

BBDBB wrote: »
    Trains called the Gatwick Express go into London Victoria every 15 minutes, journey takes about half an hour

How's it with a baby? I've done London countless times myself, but this will be a first with kid on board.

Dont know, depends on the baby I suppose.
    Theres usually sufficient room for pushchairs and luggage etc
    It may be one of the FAQ on their website?

haha yeah, sorry. Hit the wrong button.

The airport isn't really what concerns me. Getting form there to NW10 is where my confusion lies. Car rental, taxi, public transport?

Fly into Heathrow and get the Heathrow Connect to Paddington. Do not get the Express - wildly overpriced and saves you about 10 min. It goes from the same place but the Connect just works with an Oyster card.

Synode wrote: »
    Where's this news that the green line upgrade is being cancelled coming from? Heard Shane Ross in the Dail on the news and all he said was he wouldn't countenance the green line being closed for 4 years. Which it never would have been.

Being reported in the Irish Times though not confirmed yet. The amount of lies and hysteria around the project - a huge amount of which is being pushed by the IT itself - is really disappointing. Between this and Bus Connect the IT has shown itself to have a massive, massive anti-public transport slant.

I'm a bit ignorant to all of this. My part of Dublin isn't in South Dublin so naturally I don't get any decent public transport.

But it does seem absolutely bananas to me that you'd tear up a track that cost nearly €1bn.

• Advertisement

I'm a bit ignorant to all of this. My part of Dublin isn't in South Dublin so naturally I don't get any decent public transport.

But it does seem absolutely bananas to me that you'd tear up a track that cost nearly €1bn.

They aren’t tearing up the track. The track itself doesn’t need to be touched, it was built to be upgraded to a metro.

They need to raise the platforms of the stations cause metro trains are higher from the ground, the overhead cabling needs to be changed and the track needs to be joined up to the metro underground around charlemont.

Underground the whole way. Get Elon to do it. Also a branch line from Ranelagh to Terenure. PLZKTHX.

*tears hair out*

They weren't. But that's what the campaign would readily have you believe. I'm not being smart but the fact that you thought they'd be tearing it up shows just how successful they've been in planting lies in people's minds.

We'll be revisiting this project in 15 years and whinging that we didn't do it 15 years ago. The plan for Luas Green upon design was always to be upgraded to Metro in the longer term at some point. Now it has hit full capacity, it's needed badly. The Luas is becoming unviable for some people at peak hours.

The biggest single lie of the whole thing is that the Green line will be closed. It will not. It will be disrupted, perhaps heavily. Perhaps sections will be unavailable at periods. But it was never proposed that it would be closed for the duration of the works. The misinformation and downright lying by the likes of Shane Ross, Jim O'Callaghan etc. on this topic has been completely shameful and they're a f*cking disgrace to call themselves public servants.

Surely you can't put a metro on tram tracks though? Thus tearing up the tram tracks and laying a metro.

In any case, it's hard to really give a **** about upgrading a Luas track somewhere else when my area is stuck with buses that are rammed after two stops.

Buer wrote: »
    *tears hair out*

They weren't. But that's what the campaign would readily have you believe. I'm not being smart but the fact that you thought they'd be tearing it up shows just how successful they've been in planting lies in people's minds.

We'll be revisiting this project in 15 years and whinging that we didn't do it 15 years ago. The plan for Luas Green upon design was always to be upgraded to Metro in the longer term at some point. Now it has hit full capacity, it's needed badly. The Luas is becoming unviable for some people at peak hours.

The biggest single lie of the whole thing is that the Green line will be closed. It will not. It will be disrupted, perhaps heavily. Perhaps sections will be unavailable at periods. But it was never proposed that it would be closed for the duration of the works. The misinformation and downright lying by the likes of Shane Ross, Jim O'Callaghan etc. on this topic has been completely shameful and they're a f*cking disgrace to call themselves public servants.

I prefaced my comment with my ignorance. I have no idea what the craic is.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement