Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inbound and internal An Post Delays

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,211 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

whiterebel wrote: »
    The drivers normally use Google maps on their mobiles as the courier companies can't integrate Eircode into the systems.

Its more a case of we can't use it, won't use it, so we won't let anyone else use it which is petty and very annoying.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Its more a case of we can't use it, won't use it, so we won't let anyone else use it which is petty and very annoying.

The government was told this from the very beginning, but they chose to ignore it. I don't see how they won't "let anyone else use it". DHL or UPS can hardly stop anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Anyone can buy a license to use eircode and integrate it.

An post don't use it as they have their own route system that works very well. Eircode is not a postcode system.

Dpd certainly integrate eircode. Enter the eircode and all address fields and populated automatically.

The government was told this from the very beginning, but they chose to ignore it. I don't see how they won't "let anyone else use it". DHL or UPS can hardly stop anyone else.

What I am saying is Amazon use the Eircode they even had a campaign asking users to add their Eircode to their address then along come DPD and other couriers who sometimes seem to deliberately remove the Eircode.

It doesn't mater to DPD or even An Post they can get the packages to the correct area ready for delivery without the Eircode, no ones denying that. The problem is that their drivers still use the Eircode and will sometimes fail to deliver an item that doesn't have an Eircode if they are unsure where it needs to be delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Darc19 wrote: »
    Eircode is not a postcode system.

Why do we enter it into the postcode field of addresses then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Harika

Some parcels missing here too
    2 left Austria on the 12th, no sign yet
    One Amazon parcel left UK at the 7th, arrived in Dublin at the 14th since then stuck there

• Registered Users Posts: 43 greenfields46!

Royal mail will only know that it has scanned at the exit point. They would not know if it physically had left Heathrow.

Same with all international mail in all countries. It scans at the departure "check in" for want of a better word, but can sit for weeks (as per USA earlier this year) in the "departure lounge"

thats mad and i was considering re-ordering thinking that theres just been a big cage of parcels left alone somewhere in dublin airport!!! so its not worth it!!! so frustrating 😳 tnks for the info, also just looking at flights looks like only 2 come from heathrow a day now...assuming they use commercial flights or do they have their own planes to carry!.... its a nightmare waiting & xmas is gonna be v hard now to manage, online shopping at this rate really isnt an option!

SickBoy wrote: »
    Why do we enter it into the postcode field of addresses then?

It acts as a precise location code that can be used for postal delivery along with a myriad of other uses including emergency services, utilities, property taxes etc.

A postcode system is designed into delivery segments (most European countries) or routes (UK)

An post have their own internal route system which works well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

The drivers normally use Google maps on their mobiles as the courier companies can't integrate Eircode into the systems.

Google maps support eircodes - no excuse...

What I am saying is Amazon use the Eircode they even had a campaign asking users to add their Eircode to their address then along come DPD and other couriers who sometimes seem to deliberately remove the Eircode.

It doesn't mater to DPD or even An Post they can get the packages to the correct area ready for delivery without the Eircode, no ones denying that. The problem is that their drivers still use the Eircode and will sometimes fail to deliver an item that doesn't have an Eircode if they are unsure where it needs to be delivered.

But my issue was with an post that there IS an eircode (but an incomplete address) and they are returning to sender as (according to customer supprt) "we deliver by address and not eircode"

• Advertisement

SPDUB wrote: »
    Doesn't change the fact that she shouldn't have said that .

Assuming the Eircode on it was fully visible and accurate it is part of someone's job to look up what address the Eircode refers to in Little Island office

Well I hope you are correct! It would be very Irish otherwise...

Further looking at the DHL Tracking site the address might actually be as bad as this:
    Recipient: [MY NAME]:Cork, [MY EIRCODE] Cork

Even though my shipping address as per the invoice is my full address minus the street name.

(Where An Post are handling the delivery on the parcel arrived in Ireland)

schmoo2k wrote: »
    But my issue was with an post that there IS an eircode (but an incomplete address) and they are returning to sender as (according to customer supprt) "we deliver by address and not eircode"

The problem is how far your package gets in the system. If it can't be sorted automatically then it has to be sorted by hand and when they are busy no one at An Post gives a fcuk so they'll just send it back.

On the other hand if it makes it to the postman he will most likely look it up on google maps or the Eircode site.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Google maps support eircodes - no excuse...

You should tell that to the multi billion dollar companies like UPS, FedEx and DHL I'm sure they'd love you to do it for them.
    When I was in Apple one of the biggest courier companies had a serious problem with Irish addresses due to the length of them. Very long place names, addresses with too many lines etc. I think one of the problems was lines with more than 31(?) characters. I know it was at least 6 months before they could change the coding. Couriers told Pat "Can't be told anything" Rabbite that Eircode wouldn't work with their systems. They decided to press ahead and do it anyway. Now people expect the couriers to jump up and down to facilitate Eircode

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Harika

You should tell that to the multi billion dollar companies like UPS, FedEx and DHL I'm sure they'd love you to do it for them.
    When I was in Apple one of the biggest courier companies had a serious problem with Irish addresses due to the length of them. Very long place names, addresses with too many lines etc. I think one of the problems was lines with more than 31(?) characters. I know it was at least 6 months before they could change the coding. Couriers told Pat "Can't be told anything" Rabbite that Eircode wouldn't work with their systems. They decided to press ahead and do it anyway. Now people expect the couriers to jump up and down to facilitate Eircode

Are those the same company that market themselves as adaptable, flexible and quickly changing all the time? As usual the low end driver has to deal with the inflexibility of the big companies.

Today I don't have an issue with the multi billion dollar companies - I am just very surprised that An Post refusing to use them... IMO the primary issue with eircodes was that they wanted to monetize the lookups of them.

Harika wrote: »
    Are those the same company that market themselves as adaptable, flexible and quickly changing all the time? As usual the low end driver has to deal with the inflexibility of the big companies.

I don't think they mean their system which copes with 150+ countries and to change it for one. Surely a government entering the market would take advice from the experts, including their own postal service? No, let the world revolve around us.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

Darc19 wrote:
    Dpd certainly integrate eircode. Enter the eircode and all address fields and populated automatically.

Not necessarily populated with the right information.
    The eircode an Post says pertains to my residence... If put into a form that auto-populates, puts in the wrong street.
    That system was very poorly executed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

I am just very surprised that An Post refusing to use them...

Will you give up on An Post refusing to use them .

It's not true .

Yes it not the primary method of sorting but there is someone in the sorting facilities to determine problematic addresses and use whatever means to find address , ( including eircodes and phone calls , if number available on package ) and direct them according ( source I have actually met someone whose job is to do that )

Seriously how did that courier company get a licence to operate in Ireland if they couldn't be bothered to properly handle our form of address for 6 months pre Eircode .

I think Rabbite was a bad minster because of his antics with Saorview but I think he was right to ignore them in this case

SPDUB wrote: »
    Will you give up on An Post refusing to use them .

It's not true .

Yes it not the primary method of sorting but there is someone in the sorting facilities to determine problematic addresses and use whatever means to find address , ( including eircodes and phone calls , if number available on package ) and direct them according ( source I have actually met someone whose job is to do that )

Seriously how did that courier company get a licence to operate in Ireland if they couldn't be bothered to properly handle our form of address for 6 months pre Eircode .

I think Rabbite was a bad minster because of his antics with Saorview but I think he was right to ignore them in this case

Do couriers require a licence to operate in Ireland? It wasn't that they couldn't be bothered, it was a massive task to change it without affecting everything else. I think it actually took about 2 months to locate the problem because Ireland was such an insignificant part of the overall sales and deliveries.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭le_girl

My three USPS parcels finally showed up an An Post tracking on Friday, they're all in Dublin Parcel Hub.

Has anyone else's updated beyond this point, gone through customs or even been delivered?

If I don't get them this week I'll be having to close my little business temporarily at the busiest time of the year, Black Friday. And I'm dealing with delays the other way since I sent 200+ parcels a week. Oh the stress :(

• Advertisement

le_girl wrote: »
    My three USPS parcels finally showed up an An Post tracking on Friday, they're all in Dublin Parcel Hub.

Has anyone else's updated beyond this point, gone through customs or even been delivered?

If I don't get them this week I'll be having to close my little business temporarily at the busiest time of the year, Black Friday. And I'm dealing with delays the other way since I sent 200+ parcels a week. Oh the stress :(

You’re better off ringing An Post tomorrow if you are relying on them. Their tracking is all over the place I find. They should be able to tell you if they have cleared customs and are ready for delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 3 micke_doepse

According to AP support, I can expect my parcel to be processed by the end of the week. Dispatched in Germany on the 11/11.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭le_girl

You’re better off ringing An Post tomorrow if you are relying on them. Their tracking is all over the place I find. They should be able to tell you if they have cleared customs and are ready for delivery

By some miracle, they're all out for delivery here in Limerick this morning. Thank god for that. Must be a sign that the delays are clearing a bit cos they weren't delayed that much in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Gally79

Was just onto AnPost (web chat again) According to Austrian Post, my parcel has left Austria on the 24th October, unfortunately there has been no tracking update since. AnPost advised they have not received the parcel as they would have scanned it and it would appear as received in Ireland via tracking info, having seen a lot of posts on here and on the news where packages have been received/delivered, on many occasions tracking was inconsistent. Now I am in a predicament, Austrian Post advised they have sent it to Ireland, AnPost advised they've never received it.

Gally79 wrote: »
    Was just onto AnPost (web chat again) According to Austrian Post, my parcel has left Austria on the 24th October, unfortunately there has been no tracking update since. AnPost advised they have not received the parcel as they would have scanned it and it would appear as received in Ireland via tracking info, having seen a lot of posts on here and on the news where packages have been received/delivered, on many occasions tracking was inconsistent. Now I am in a predicament, Austrian Post advised they have sent it to Ireland, AnPost advised they've never received it.

Austrian post will only know that it has scanned at dispatch, but not actually dispatched.

It's probably sitting airside cargo holding.

We had a shipment coming by air from China in the summer. It scanned to airport departure, but took 3 weeks before it was on a plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 JamieTra2017

Has anybody had any luck from USA ?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 greenfields46!

Austrian post will only know that it has scanned at dispatch, but not actually dispatched.

It's probably sitting airside cargo holding.

We had a shipment coming by air from China in the summer. It scanned to airport departure, but took 3 weeks before it was on a plane.

ive given up enquiring about my parcel left uk on 10th because some an post agents say sld take 5-7 days others say 11 others say 2 weeks so really they dont know, so parcels are just in transit waiting to either be sent here or waiting in a cage to be scanned here, its a waiting game, last an post agent was at least honest & said please just he patient😳v frustrating though

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭xl500

I ordered an item from ETSY Usa It arrived here in Dublin 3 weeks later but it was with Courier not An Post

Mod - can you be more specific? Questions like this aren't much use to anyone. Was it USPS, a courier, Addresspal? When was it sent? From where?

I have moved this to the USPS specific thread on this page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 JamieTra2017

Mod - can you be more specific? Questions like this aren't much use to anyone. Was it USPS, a courier, Addresspal? When was it sent? From where?

Sorry sent with USPS. Last tracking is " Your item departed a transfer airport at Dublin on the 8th November at 8.51 am". I did read through the full forum and seen that U or L codes are not scanned in Ireland. I was just wondering if anybody had any luck.

Advertisement