Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Larry Murphy (Read mod note on post 1 before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

snyper wrote: »
    Yea, i know, i thought about it too... how could he do it etc...

but, the reality is its possible he didnt know who he was collecting.. its also possible he does this regularly for the prison and has become immune to it, same way as prison guards had to deal with him every day and not want to kick the head off him
    Ever been known for plain clothes Gards to act as a taxi driver in high profile cases like this one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

I think its slightly creepy how busy the facebook page for 'tracking' him is.

but good at the same time.

I dont think someone who has done what he has deserves to be alive, and someone who has, deserves every single bit of abuse and violence that could possibly be handed down to him.

vicious, vicious bastard.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

OK folks.
    Couple of posts removed and some posters banned. Please PM me if clarification is needed.
    If you have a problem with any of the posts on this thread please report them for our review.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

ps- Where's his pic ? I can't find it.
    Here's a better one: http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/4897/10952221832478640221737.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭HereNorThere

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭HereNorThere

Biggins wrote: »

Very expressionless. Wonder what was going on in that fukced up brain of his when that one was taken.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Very expressionless. Wonder what was going on in that fukced up brain of his when that one was taken.
    Honestly, I dread to think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭MrDarcy

There is no question I think but that we need GPS tracking of this kind of a convict. There's no argument there I think, we need this to be brought in and for retrospective legislation to allow for Larry Murphy to be tagged. I'd go a step further and say that the state is negligent in not tagging people who are obviously high risk...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Please no further idle speculation of his whereabouts from here on out.
    This is not conducive to helping the discussion and is at best unverifiable hearsay. Let's leave stuff like that to the media and other verifiable sources. Please continue to report anything you have a question about.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭didds

Gaudizeit wrote: »
    Stupidly, I would have assumed they would have tagged him. How else will they keep track of his whereabouts. Two lads in a car outside eating macdonalds?

Unfortunately no. This is why we have the situation we have in the country tonight. All of this hysteria could have been easily avoided by GPS tagging him. He just has to show up one day out of seven and say what his address is. and.... (and I love this bit) that address given as no fixed abode, satisfies the current system..
    See why people are freaked???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Mr. Plow

Let me just say from the outset that what he did was horrendous and in my opinion he is still in need of rehabilitation. Like it or not however, he has served his debt to society. Society said he had to serve 10 years and that's what he did. Maybe all the people here who are smelling blood should ask themselves why they waited until after he was released to come on to an internet forum to whinge about it, instead of lobbying for reform of the court service and sentencing in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Einstein wrote: »
    Ever been known for plain clothes Gards to act as a taxi driver in high profile cases like this one?

Wouldnt suprise me actally.

There is also a case to be made for bringing in legislation that would compel someone like Larry Murphy to undertake a lie detector test....

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Gaudizeit

MrDarcy wrote: »
    There is also a case to be made for bringing in legislation that would compel someone like Larry Murphy to undertake a lie detector test....

Superintendent Jeremy Kyle would be pro this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

This isn't the Jeremy Kyle show...

edit: dammit...:P

No there isnt. Lie detector tests are useless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 DeltaC

didds wrote: »
    Unfortunately no. This is why we have the situation we have in the country tonight. All of this hysteria could have been easily avoided by GPS tagging him. He just has to show up one day out of seven and say what his address is. and.... (and I love this bit) that address given as no fixed abode, satisfies the current system..
    See why people are freaked???

I agree. If he were tagged there might hardly be a problem, he could even be left to have a fairer shot at building a harmless life for himself (though I suspect that is unlikely, he might prove me wrong). But as things stand there is no responsible option but for the Guards to physically follow him around, and it is only human for normal, ordinary people to want to know where he is, so they can feel safe, and get on with their lives.

Because he cannot be tagged we have an unresolveable situation for everybody, even Murphy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

What would people think \ say if Larry Murphy were to rape and murder some of the high-profile bankers that have got the country into the financial mess that it is in?

I'm a bit confused, there were 4 media motorbikes in hot pursuit of the taxi when it left Arbour Hill, how did they manage to lose em?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭FastFuse

The argument that 'other sex offenders have been released so why the noise over this one' is one that is inherently flawed. If anything it highlights the numerous cases of the justice system putting the general public in danger. That it happens time and again does not make it acceptable.

Anyone following the line that Murphy has served his time and should be left to his own devices now is being naive in the extreme. Categorized as being of high risk of re-offending, allowing him to live amongst us is stupefying and, quite simply, an affront to his victim and supposed victims, their families and even his own family. One can only imagine the grief that this is causing them.

The irony is that, had the two men not disturbed Larry Murphy as he was about to bring his callous act to a close and he had been subsequently caught and convicted of murder, he would still be behind bars. Perhaps that is what it will take somewhere down the line. Madness when you think of it. His crime was only different by technicality as he'd have killed that woman had he not been interrupted. In his (supposed) own words, 'she got lucky'. It appears, so did he.

That this is being so heavily covered by the tabloid media (mostly) should not encourage people to defend poor Larry and his human rights. Those rags will cover anything and will likely move on when a bigger story breaks. The danger will always be there though, as long as this rapist is free.

Also, I hope whoever said that the chance of it happening is 0.00000000001% and relating it to a car accident never has the bad luck to find themselves or a loved one at the wrong end of such a horrible incident.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I think we need ti calm down,

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

FastFuse wrote: »
    Anyone following the line that Murphy has served his time and should be left to his own devices now is being naive in the extreme.

Remember this guy..?.. is he still been mobbed by the media? It's amazing how quickly people move from one outrage to another without ever actually lobbying for change because of any of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭LarrytheLantern

this is the trial by media (or trial by chatroom as in this case).

this is a direct result of the tabloidisation of our media.

the lynch mob is baying for blood, & we're beginning to make those rednecks in the deep South appear like a considered, reflective bunch of liberals.

in many ways this is far more horrific than the crime for which Murphy was convicted.

how sad we've come to this ...............:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

The_Thing wrote: »
    What would people think \ say if Larry Murphy were to rape and murder some of the high-profile bankers that have got the country into the financial mess that it is in?

Oh fvck off and change the record. What a useless point/post.

the lynch mob is baying for blood, & we're beginning to make those rednecks in the deep South appear like a considered, reflective bunch of liberals.

in many ways this is far more horrific than the crime for which Murphy was convicted.

The media are wide now that the whole country is on edge, and that's been the case before Larry Murphy was released. In another way it's good to see people standing up for something for once.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭didds

I have to say, it's frightening to see the mob reaction. I do sincerely hope they dont get their hands on him...think of it in todays terms, facebook, you tube, mobile phones, images instantly travelling to all corners of the world. Whatever messed up piece of crap he is, I wouldnt like think of Ireland as a country where a man could be lynched by a mob publicly..It would be a stain on our society. The Gardai are people with families too, I cant see them dropping the ball on keeping an eye on this guy. Hopefully the public response will give the justice dept a well deserved kick in the ass to get the legislation altered asap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

the lynch mob is baying for blood
    Agreed.
    & we're beginning to make those rednecks in the deep South appear like a considered, reflective bunch of liberals.

Disagreed - especially the last bit, an insult to that poor woman. "Far more horrific" me arse. Why resort to extremes to make a point? This is along the same lines as arguing American society is as bad as the Taliban, or that Ireland is as bad as China because of any censorship here and the blasphemy law. It's completely disingenuous. And redneck mobs in the Deep South have been known to exercise their rage over skin colour and religion. It's one thing to make the point something is bad, another though to compare it to and deem it worse than something which is objectively worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

huh?

How?

There is a big difference between me sitting here in the kitchen on the net, dreaming of kicking this lads head in - and me actually going out, stalking a victim, punching her in the head breaking her nose, raping her, throwing her into the boot, driving her to the mountains, raping her 3 more times, putting a bag over her head, and attempt to kill her

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

No offence intended- but what rubbish! Public anger against a hideous self confessed crime like this is a sign of a moral society I believe. How would you have us react? Tut liberally?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

This Lynch mob is actually as bad as Larry himself.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement