Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Larry Murphy (Read mod note on post 1 before posting)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Banji

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    Cause then you would be a murderer, you want to get back at a murderer for the horrible things he has done, by murdering? Then can someone else murder you for murdering someone else?

I agree the chap is scum its just posts like that make me laugh.

I always laugh when I see that argument against the death penalty. It doesn't even make sense and seems to follow the lines of a four year olds thought process.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Total incitement to hatred job by the media, well done lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

the witchhunt is on.

he served his time. some people expect life sentecnes for rape, yet do not want to live in a police state, where penalties for such crimes would e more severe. maybe the legals system needs to be reviewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭deepsouthtalla

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    Cause then you would be a murderer, you want to get back at a murderer for the horrible things he has done, by murdering? Then can someone else murder you for murdering someone else?

I agree the chap is scum its just posts like that make me laugh.

the death penalty is not murder it is getting rid of the scum that the liberal do-gooders let walk the streets!!!!

can u imagine this man walking around somewhere like Texas? He would be ether siting on death row r in prison for a long time!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

jordan.. wrote: »
    Why dont we just kill this guy seriously!! There should be a death penalty for these creatures!

because we live in a democratic society.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

He IS obliged to inform Gardaí where he is initially going (say London), but what if he jumps on a flight to Greece, then Spain, then slips across the border to Portugal?

hopefully this will happen, as he will be arrested on arrival in Spain or greece for breaking the requirement to correctly inform he Gardai.

He is being watched, he does need a passport to travel like the rest of us.

- you dont give the Gardai any credit at all.

Despite what you would like to think, they're not stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

jordan.. wrote: »
    Why dont we just kill this guy seriously!! There should be a death penalty for these creatures!

Because we had a referendum a few years ago which made this unconstitutional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

the death penalty is not murder it is getting rid of the scum that the liberal do-gooders let walk the streets!!!!

can u imagine this man walking around somewhere like Texas? He would be ether siting on death row r in prison for a long time!

Well no chance he would be sitting on death row. Attempted murder and rape are not capital offenses in Texas. Try Oklahoma maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Mr. Plow

Banji wrote: »
    It doesn't even make sense and seems to follow the lines of a four year olds thought process.

Why doesn't his argument make sense? 'A bullet through the back of the head', as Dr. Baltar suggests, sounds like murder to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,052 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Fuinseog wrote: »
    because we live in a democratic society.

It's more a case that it's not part of the justice system any more. Other democratic countries use it, not that I'd like to have it here
    Sort of feels like the start of spooky movie with all the news about it. Children will be singing his name in the street. Happy friday 13Th

• Advertisement

Is it not the case that sex offenders only have to supply an address to Gardai if they are staying in Ireland? I'm sure other countries have a similar law but would that not be their responsibility to enforce?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Fuinseog wrote:
    the witchhunt is on.

he served his time. some people expect life sentecnes for rape, yet do not want to live in a police state, where penalties for such crimes would e more severe. maybe the legals system needs to be reviewed.

Would you peddle this horse shit statement to the woman he raped and tried to murder?
    Easily the most retarded statement I've read on AH.

I'm all for human rights and that, but he's a rapist that showed no remorse or rehabilitation. The 25% remission isn't based on good behaviour, it's automatic.
    Even if you misbehave in prison, you'd have to do a lot to lose a couple of year remission.
    However, the Prison Act 2007 states that the most he [a prisoner] can lose in respect of a particular act of misconduct is 14 days’ remission.

So serving a 20 year sentence, with five years off;
    Thus he would have to commit and be convicted of about one hundred acts of misconduct in prison before he would lose all of his five years off.

The reality is that even the worst behaved prisoners will only lose a few weeks remission over the course of their entire sentence. Thus when you are given five years off your sentence it really is a free gift from the state.

It's probably a witch-hunt stirred up by the media, but then again, the media doesn't have to do much to stir up one. If you're a convicted rapist, attempted murderer and are suspected of the disappearance of young women you'd hardly walk down Grafton St. after being released two hours previous. Well that's what he did yesterday.

He's shown no remorse, he's never taken part in any treatment. I wont be surprised if he rapes again. It wouldn't be a first time for a convicted rapist to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

I can understand why people are worried. I mean the guy raped a woman multiple times in a forest and tried to kill her. The only reason she is alive today and he was in prison for ten years was because two hunters were lucky enough to find them.

Wish he served the full 15 years as well.

So what is it that you want? Would you be satisfied if he hadn't got remission and served his full term? You're not suggesting any solutions. If you have a problem with the system then why not try to change it. TBH I don't understand the furore over one convicted rapist/attempted murderer being released from prison when there are undoubtedly many more living around the country which nobody seems to give a toss about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

All i know is, if I was a rapist/potential killer, I'd be DELIGHTED that there is such attention on this guy, anything that happens in the next while will be blamed on Murphy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

rovert wrote: »

No Trev, people hate murder's & rapists - we don't need the media to remind us of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,983 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It's a great shame that all of the Larry Murphys in Ireland will have to change their name, to avoid getting strung up by the mob.

It's probably best to tie a 1 ton weight to the real one's leg and strap a flashing light to his head, to avoid any unnecessary attacks on the innocent.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

rovert wrote: »

it is a Justified warning to people that this type of person is on the loose, that is a good job, and deserves the well done..

defending him, thats just strange.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

in the risk of sounding controversial.............i do feel a wee bit sorry for the bastard

yes i know what he did was appalling, but this OTT witchhunt by the media (TV3 esp) is completely uncalled for and is whipping public feelings into a primal frenzy which is dangerous

i suppose he's wishing he was back in jail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

philstar wrote: »
    in the risk of sounding controversial.............i do feel a wee bit sorry for the bastard

yes i know what he did was appalling, but this OTT witchhunt by the media (TV3 esp) is completely uncalled for and is whipping public feelings into a primal frenzy which is dangerous

i suppose he's wishing he was back in jail

I'm hoping he's wishing he'd told the truth about the missing women and sought councilling in prison. I also wish Friday 13th would bring him a screaming & agonising death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭doccy

Personally I'm shocked by the hysteria this has stirred up. This kind of reaction is common in the UK and I believe this has been imported here by the british tabloids.
    That said, it's impossible to have any sympathy for Murphy. He is a psychopath lacking in human emotion and any talk of no association with other missing women is akin to a bold child being caught doing something wrong and claiming- you just happened to catch me the first time I did it.
    In britain the kids who murdered Jamie Bolger were put in protective custody after they were released but that will never happen with Murphy. This will all end badly and messily, the question now is for whom?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Jesus lads some people have lost the run of themselves in here...

The man is suspected of killing the rest of the girls. They have no evidence to say he done it.
    For all people know i could have done it.
    He done his time(even though it was too short) he is out now he should be allowed get on with is life (but closely monitored by the Gardai).

I wonder what if Muprhy had of been in that refuge last night, and came out to those 60 people demonstrating what would have happened.

In Coolock you'd imagine they'd be trying to get the real scumbags out lihe the Drug dealers and Drug pushers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

I wish people would stop reading the papers/listening to the news :(

I disagree that there is no evidence more the evidence is circumstantial. He may or may not have killed those three girls but history of serial killers would tell any logical or rational observer that this man has likely killed before.
    Hence the FBI, who have a hell of a lot of experience in this field, fingered him as the prime suspect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

Philstar your empathising with a person who your assuming is a normal human being - he`s not he doesn`t feel anything he`s an actual real psychopath. If you do want to empathise with him imagine feeling nothing except the dark sexual enjoyment that only comes from watching a weaker person suffer, cry, beg and plead for their life. Imagine the power and control you feel as you take their last breath desperately pleading with their eyes for you to have mercy - but you don`t have any, all you have is an empty souless desire to repeat this over and over each time escalating your behaviour because you don`t get the same thrill.

It could be your sister. girlfriend, friend etc

I know a prison guard who worked with this guy - even he was scared of him and he saw alot. He just said this guy was "different" and unnerving. I didn`t know who he was talking about at the time its a few years ago.

Given that there was other women found bound in the same way etc I`m not getting why this guy can`t be arrested and tried for their murders.

theg81der wrote: »
    If you do want to empathise with him imagine feeling nothing except the dark sexual enjoyment that only comes from watching a weaker person suffer, cry, beg and plead for their life. Imagine the power and control you feel as you take their last breath desperately pleading with their eyes for you to have mercy - but you don`t have any, all you have is an empty souless desire to repeat this over and over each time escalating your behaviour because you don`t get the same thrill.

Eh hem...backs away...!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,983 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Renn wrote: »
    I wish people would stop reading the papers/listening to the news :(

If we didn't do those things, we might let murdering rapists into our homes and get butchered on the kitchen table. This wouldn't happen to people who know what's going on in the world, because they'd know that the guy on the doorstep wasn't selling double-glazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The good people of Coolock mobilized themselves yesterday.

Strangely enough, they are unable to do the same about their local drug dealers. No shortage of these and other criminals in Coolock area.

What really makes me mad is that there was always a solution to this problem that didn't have to involve witch hunts, lynching mobs etc.
    Murphy should simply have been re-arrested as he left prison and brought to a psychiatric institution and kept there for the rest of his days or until he could prove he was no longer a threat to society. I would be pretty confident that he would never be released.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Butchered on the kitchen table :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement