Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Larry Murphy (Read mod note on post 1 before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭baldbear

Fair play to his brother on the telly. Hope the media leave him alone now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I'd say no matter where you live, there'll be someone who's heard a rumour he's coming to live there. Today I heard he's going to England and also that he's coming to Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,668 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

i hope his wife has left ireland for good with his kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

best thing he could do would be to give a Garda a smack, prison is the only safe place for him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

bimbar wrote: »
    The original Facebook page has comment on saying he's in Priorswood, Coolock

lol not the best place to be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭waynewex

bimbar wrote: »
    very interesting Snyper - where is the link to this article?

I posted it a page back. http://novascone.com/larry-murphy-suspected-irish-serial-killer-due-for-release.html

It's a basic drill-down of the whole case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 bimbar

ah yes, thanks waynewex

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

I think that their should be a two tier sentencing system in place for extremely violent/sex crimes

First off, he would get a sentence based on what he did, be it Murder, Rape whatever

Secondly,at the Judges discretion, he would then get a sentence based on the risk he poses to society. This sentence would have no upper limits, if the Judge thinks its appropriate, then by all means give him 100years. Sentence would not be served concurrently and the offender would be able to make an appeal to the court during this sentence to try and prove he has changed and is no longer a risk. Judge can agree/disagree/change the sentence as they see fit.

So in this case, he would have got his 15 years for the rape/attempted murder, then an extra 20 or 30 years on top of it. That way he'd be kept in Jail until he was an old man, and when he got out he would no longer be a threat.

My 2 cents.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

dannym08 wrote: »
    I think that their should be a two tier sentencing system in place for extremely violent/sex crimes

First off, he would get a sentence based on what he did, be it Murder, Rape whatever

Secondly,at the Judges discretion, he would then get a sentence based on the risk he poses to society. This sentence would have no upper limits, if the Judge thinks its appropriate, then by all means give him 100years. Sentence would not be served concurrently and the offender would be able to make an appeal to the court during this sentence to try and prove he has changed and is no longer a risk. Judge can agree/disagree/change the sentence as they see fit.

So in this case, he would have got his 15 years for the rape/attempted murder, then an extra 20 or 30 years on top of it. That way he'd be kept in Jail until he was an old man, and when he got out he would no longer be a threat.

My 2 cents.

See this is where it all goes wrong...................

You really think the majority of judges have a feckin clue what they're doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Gaudizeit

didds wrote: »
    That supposed to be funny??? The area doesnt need tarring with that brush. There are a hell of lot of very concerned people down here tonight.

he's hardly going to rape someone tonight. This guy will have his whereabouts known, and he knows that if he puts one foot out of place, he's back in.

What I don't understand is, why does the media not hound every other rapist upon their release. Are they not all the same?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭xoixo

Imagine what this must be like for his kids, what they will be enduring in school.
    I really hope his wife has the good sense to get them out of Ireland, away from all of this for their sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

xoixo wrote: »
    Imagine what this must be like for his kids, what they will be enduring in school.
    I really hope his wife has the good sense to get them out of Ireland, away from all of this for their sake.

His wife and kids left the country a couple of days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Being a member of An Garda Siochana in the Dublin area i will personally make it my business to haunt this vile piece of s%%t. We have received no instructions regarding this imminent release.
    Sorry I prob wasnt clear, i was speaking as a Garda.
    Did you know that posing as a Garda is a crime that can give prison time?
    Contact the mods in Emergency Services if you're the real deal, until then you're banned from AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭didds

Gaudizeit wrote: »
    he's hardly going to rape someone tonight. This guy will have his whereabouts known, and he knows that if he puts one foot out of place, he's back in.

What I don't understand is, why does the media not hound every other rapist upon their release. Are they not all the same?

They're nervous of what the future may hold. Like it or not this piece of dirt has strong ties to the area here.

He is not your average rapist.. profilers and experts in the field all reckon him to be an ongoing threat. He represents a clear and present danger to women now and in the future. NO REMORSE, NO TREATMENT. He's suspected of being behind a string of attacks and disapearances stretching back years. A suspected serial killer out and about is worth keeping an eye on dont you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Released for good behaviour , what a ****ing joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭rebelmomma

He isn't going to rape anyone tonight? Really? This sick **** should be hounded along with every other sex offender. This guy not only visciously raped an innocent woman; he stalked her for weeks before and then TRIED TO KILL HER!!! I think sentencing for Rape in this country is appaling but if you try and kill someone and show no remorse you don't deserve to walk around free on the streets where our children walk. I think every sex offender who refuses any kind of counselling and shows no remorse should be hounded and followed around. Simple as that. I have only sympathy for his wife and kids and really hope this country can get behind them. His family should also be thought of as they did not choose to have Larry Murphy as a member of their family. I would hope that if he does indeed keep away from his family that the media will respect their right to live a normal life with a decent amount of privacy. One of his kids wasn't even born when he committed this crime. God love them.

galwayrush wrote: »
    Released for good behaviour , what a ****ing joke.
    I will never understand that saying, they rape, murder, rob etc and then get out for GOOD BEHAVIOUR - ****ing joke as you said yourself

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

biko wrote: »
    Did you know that posing as a Garda is a crime that can give prison time?
    Contact the mods in Emergency Services if you're the real deal, until then you're banned from AH.

Do you have to confirm your a guarda here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

25% off for all sentences unless they lose it like assaulting prison officers or starting prison riots,etc

The reason it's done to give the prison service something to hold over the prisoners.
    Don't dare cause trouble here or you'll lose your 25% remission.

Larry Murphy got 15 years and got his 25% off. No more or no less then any other prisoners unless it's life sentance.

Of course you could do it another way.
    Here is a 15 year sentance and we'll add 25% if you cause trouble and fail to be on good behavior.
    But the gardai, prison officers and judges can do nothing about that. Only Dermot Ahern as Min for Justice can start that.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

bigpink wrote: »
    Do you have to confirm your a guarda here?
    If you claim to be one and to speak for the Gardai, then yes.
    Same would go if you claim to be a doctor or similar and speak about medicine or similar things.
    I'm sure there plenty of AGS or doctors here, just that they don't post about being one.

Let's get back on topic please

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

A book on him can be read online here for free for those who may be interested.

25% off for all sentences unless they lose it like assaulting prison officers or starting prison riots,etc

The reason it's done to give the prison service something to hold over the prisoners.
    Don't dare cause trouble here or you'll lose your 25% remission.

Larry Murphy got 15 years and got his 25% off. No more or no less then any other prisoners unless it's life sentance.

Of course you could do it another way.
    Here is a 15 year sentance and we'll add 25% if you cause trouble and fail to be on good behavior.
    But the gardai, prison officers and judges can do nothing about that. Only Dermot Ahern as Min for Justice can start that.
    It is frightening. I just hope the level of interest in him doesn't wain on the publics behalf. God love the poor victim. I cannot imagine what she is going through these past months and most of all today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭GizAGoOfYerGee

- Attempted robbery
    - Violent assault (broke her nose, smashed her head against the handbrake to shut her up)
    - Robbery of motor vehicle
    - Kidnapping
    - Violent Rape 1
    - Violent Rape 2
    - Violent Rape 3
    - Attempted Murder

10 years

I strongly believe that he murdered those other women and he will murder again.

I urge you all to get the word out on Facebook (with his picture) and to British forums, as he will most probably move to England. I will gladly spend a few hours doing this this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Elliee

I agree Ilovelucy.

Taken from Rte.ie

This evening, gardaí were called to a residential unit for ex-prisoners in Coolock, after rumours circulated in the locality that Murphy was staying there.

Around 70 people have reportedly gathered outside the unit.

Lisa Cuthbert, Prisoner Aid through Community Effort (PACE), said Murphy is not at or involved with the project and that PACE does not cater for ex-prisoner sex offenders.

She appealed to the local community not to gather at the unit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 DeltaC

They're nervous of what the future may hold. Like it or not this piece of dirt has strong ties to the area here.

He is not your average rapist.. profilers and experts in the field all reckon him to be an ongoing threat. He represents a clear and present danger to women now and in the future. NO REMORSE, NO TREATMENT. He's suspected of being behind a string of attacks and disapearances stretching back years. A suspected serial killer out and about is worth keeping an eye on dont you think?

The most terrible thing about Larry Murphy is the elephant in the room:

We all know that he will probably have to kill and be caught before those of us who survive can feel safe...and believe me, every woman in the country has a ticket in that particular lottery, and the women in the "Triangle" area have at least two.

It's won't matter much what the odds were to whoever drew the wrong ticket.

You can know that he almost certainly will not come for you, but you still cannot sleep easy in the small without extra bolts, locks and "defence strategies".

The only reason I will sleep tonight is because of the hue and cry that means, for tonight, he cannot possibly be near here...but what of all the nights to come?

There are three women alone within the square mile I am sitting in who all regularly used the same, stunning, remote walks...note the past tense, because, for now those walks feel like some kind of extreme sport of "asking for it", nobody will feel comfortable taking them.

Until it happens, you cannot know what it feels like to see a familiar face where everyone else sees a potential serial killer...I didn't know Larry Murphy as such, but our paths must have crossed so often, I definately know his face, it is part of the scenery I was used to feeling safe in.

I understand the law must be applied fairly, I have no taste for vengeance, or hounding and harrying anyone, whatever they have done, that kind of behaviour comes from an aspect of humanity I prefer to avoid. But I find myself convinced that my world, and everyone I see in it, would be far safer if Murphy had been humanely destroyed. It might even have been kinder to him.

Thomas Murphy showed extraordinary honesty and dignity for the cameras, and next time he crosses my path it is my intention to tell him that.

Only in Ireland could we manage to create a situation where our only national serial killer has the "right" to be free to strike again.

No. If he is responsible for the crimes they suspect him of (no evidence), then there is still a slim chance that the families of those disappeared may yet get the information they so desperately need to give them some peace. I cant begin to imagine the pain of not knowing what happened to them. Killing him closes the door on that entirely.
    I would like to think he would give those families peace also. I live in Cork but I have all the doors double locked tonight lads. He was released a lunchtime so really all joking aside he could be in any part of the country tonight. Not wanting to start a hype but it ain't worth thinking about really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭MrDarcy

DeltaC wrote: »
    Thomas Murphy showed extraordinary honesty and dignity for the cameras, and next time he crosses my path it is my intention to tell him that.

Maybe you'd be better off respecting his wishes and leaving him in peace/minding your own business, after all he didn't rape or try to kill anybody.
    Only in Ireland could we manage to create a situation where our only national serial killer has the "right" to be free to strike again.

There is no evidence that he is a serial killer and he was certainly never even charged with being a serial killer never mind convicted of being one. The reality is that there have been a lot of people in and out of this country over the last 15 odd years, on top of those already here, and any person could have killed the women that went missing. And it is also incorrect to say that there have been no disappearances since he was imprisoned. Only last week there were appeals for a woman who was missing in the Leinster area.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

The most terrible thing about Larry Murphy is the elephant in the room:

We all know that he will probably have to kill and be caught before those of us who survive can feel safe...and believe me, every woman in the country has a ticket in that particular lottery, and the women in the "Triangle" area have at least two.

It's won't matter much what the odds were to whoever drew the wrong ticket.

You can know that he almost certainly will not come for you, but you still cannot sleep easy in the small without extra bolts, locks and "defence strategies".

The only reason I will sleep tonight is because of the hue and cry that means, for tonight, he cannot possibly be near here...but what of all the nights to come?

There are three women alone within the square mile I am sitting in who all regularly used the same, stunning, remote walks...note the past tense, because, for now those walks feel like some kind of extreme sport of "asking for it", nobody will feel comfortable taking them.

Until it happens, you cannot know what it feels like to see a familiar face where everyone else sees a potential serial killer...I didn't know Larry Murphy as such, but our paths must have crossed so often, I definately know his face, it is part of the scenery I was used to feeling safe in.

I understand the law must be applied fairly, I have no taste for vengeance, or hounding and harrying anyone, whatever they have done, that kind of behaviour comes from an aspect of humanity I prefer to avoid. But I find myself convinced that my world, and everyone I see in it, would be far safer if Murphy had been humanely destroyed. It might even have been kinder to him.

Are you a journalist? =p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

I actually never heard of this guy before all this stuff kicked off.
    Its good to know what he looks like and we have a fair idea of his whereabouts, for now.

Why is there such a huge deal being made about this scumbag though?
    It's great that the prick is highlighted, but he's not the first attempted murderer rapist assaulting thieving scumbag to get released from an Irish prison?

• Advertisement

MrDarcy wrote: »
    Maybe you'd be better off respecting his wishes and leaving him in peace/minding your own business, after all he didn't rape or try to kill anybody.

There is no evidence that he is a serial killer and he was certainly never even charged with being a serial killer never mind convicted of being one. The reality is that there have been a lot of people in and out of this country over the last 15 odd years, on top of those already here, and any person could have killed the women that went missing. And it is also incorrect to say that there have been no disappearances since he was imprisoned. Only last week there were appeals for a woman who was missing in the Leinster area.

There is no evidence but he did himself no favours by refusing to even discuss anything with gardai even to clear his name. When he attacked his victim he told her his childrens names. You don't tell your victim your kids names if you think she is going to live to tell the tale. And in that regard I can only imagine that he may have done it all before. I would be quiet happy to be proved wrong but if the gardai are offering him as a possible suspect I think we are only right to be vigilant especially again seeing as we have no clue where he is.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement