Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Larry Murphy (Read mod note on post 1 before posting)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭LarrytheLantern

The guy's done his time and repaid his debt to society, so why cant people just leave him alone?
    :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭rebelmomma

The guy's done his time and repaid his debt to society, so why cant people just leave him alone?
    Larry we are all entitled to our opinions but yours is not one I share in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

MikeySligo wrote: »
    Why is there such a huge deal being made about this scumbag though?
    It's great that the prick is highlighted, but he's not the first attempted murderer rapist assaulting thieving scumbag to get released from an Irish prison?

He's not your average "Rapist Scum". The general consensus is that he has raped and/or murdered and disposed of several other women. He seem's to fit the bill of somebody highly likely to reoffend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭last name ever. first name greatest

DeltaC wrote: »
    The most terrible thing about Larry Murphy is the elephant in the room:

We all know that he will probably have to kill and be caught before those of us who survive can feel safe...and believe me, every woman in the country has a ticket in that particular lottery, and the women in the "Triangle" area have at least two.

It's won't matter much what the odds were to whoever drew the wrong ticket.

You can know that he almost certainly will not come for you, but you still cannot sleep easy in the small without extra bolts, locks and "defence strategies".

The only reason I will sleep tonight is because of the hue and cry that means, for tonight, he cannot possibly be near here...but what of all the nights to come?

There are three women alone within the square mile I am sitting in who all regularly used the same, stunning, remote walks...note the past tense, because, for now those walks feel like some kind of extreme sport of "asking for it", nobody will feel comfortable taking them.

Until it happens, you cannot know what it feels like to see a familiar face where everyone else sees a potential serial killer...I didn't know Larry Murphy as such, but our paths must have crossed so often, I definately know his face, it is part of the scenery I was used to feeling safe in.

I understand the law must be applied fairly, I have no taste for vengeance, or hounding and harrying anyone, whatever they have done, that kind of behaviour comes from an aspect of humanity I prefer to avoid. But I find myself convinced that my world, and everyone I see in it, would be far safer if Murphy had been humanely destroyed. It might even have been kinder to him.

Thomas Murphy showed extraordinary honesty and dignity for the cameras, and next time he crosses my path it is my intention to tell him that.

Only in Ireland could we manage to create a situation where our only national serial killer has the "right" to be free to strike again.

What makes you think he will kill some one? You say Again? He has done it before? I don't recall that case :rolleyes: Attempted? Yes. Maybe he knows he fuked up.

Time and effort? For you and most sheep? not worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭last name ever. first name greatest

SV wrote: »
    Not even close.

You're a terrible troll too.

He has done his time. The debt repaid bit I do not agree with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Bless the angry mob - any actual hard evidence for them that he's at that address?
    Essien wrote: »
    He's not your average "Rapist Scum". The general consensus is that he has raped and/or murdered and disposed of several other women. He seem's to fit the bill of somebody highly likely to reoffend.
    I agree he is a monster and the sentence is a joke, and he is deemed likely to reoffend (not by the angry mob but by those who are actually in the know) however "general consensus" re those missing women? That general consensus is based on speculation, however plausible. There is no evidence, apart from circumstantial, that he is responsible for their disappearances, and trial by media could prejudice the cases - I'm not thinking about him, I'm thinking about the families of the disappeared, for whom that is of no benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭didds

MrDarcy wrote: »
    Maybe you'd be better off respecting his wishes and leaving him in peace/minding your own business, after all he didn't rape or try to kill anybody.

There is no evidence that he is a serial killer and he was certainly never even charged with being a serial killer never mind convicted of being one. The reality is that there have been a lot of people in and out of this country over the last 15 odd years, on top of those already here, and any person could have killed the women that went missing. And it is also incorrect to say that there have been no disappearances since he was imprisoned. Only last week there were appeals for a woman who was missing in the Leinster area.

I think if you know his brother personally, he'd appreciate the support for his family, otherwise...leave it alone. As for the no evidence....the only reason he wasnt convicted was due to the lack of evidence... he was working in the immediate areas and had access to the girls who disappeared. This is why (amongst other circumstance ) he's a suspect. Had the lads not stumbled on him that night in the woods, that lady he had was dead for sure.
    Theres no room for being a bleeding heart dealing with a psyche like his. He clearly has no empathy coupled with a serious sadistic streak. The justice system has failed us here. GPS tagged, he would not be the threat he is at present. Our government has failed us again on this. The law could and should have been amended to allow this to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Not even close.

You're a terrible troll too.

Is anyone that doesn't agree with skinning him alive a troll then?

Reminds me of the woman who was being victimised by mobs following the Ian Huntley case. She was a paediatrician, but they didn't know the difference between that and a paedophile!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Is anyone that doesn't agree with skinning him alive a troll then?

No?

You're not able to see the middle of saying this thing has served his time versus that this thing deserves to be skinned alive?

• Advertisement

He may have served the joke of a sentence but he certainly hasn't repaid his debt to society, and while I'm not a fan of the angry mob, he doesn't deserve to be treated with respect or a lack of caution - he didn't avail of any rehabilitation programme for sex offenders while in prison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 DeltaC

What makes you think he will kill some one? You say Again? He has done it before? I don't recall that case :rolleyes: Attempted? Yes. Maybe he knows he fuked up.

Time and effort? For you and most sheep? not worth it.

What I said was, exactly:
    We all know that he will probably have to kill and be caught before those of us who survive can feel safe

I am rather afraid it was you who chose to use the word "Again".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭MrDarcy

rebelmomma wrote: »
    There is no evidence but he did himself no favours by refusing to even discuss anything with gardai even to clear his name. When he attacked his victim he told her his childrens names. You don't tell your victim your kids names if you think she is going to live to tell the tale. And in that regard I can only imagine that he may have done it all before. I would be quiet happy to be proved wrong but if the gardai are offering him as a possible suspect I think we are only right to be vigilant especially again seeing as we have no clue where he is.

He obviously attempted to kill the woman who he attacked that led to him going to prison. There is no evidence whatsoever though that he attacked anyone previously. Yes it might seem like he was capable of killing before, but everyone who commits murder, even serial killers, does so at one moment for the first time. A lot of this is being driven by the media, no I wouldn't like the guy living next door to me but there are probably a few similar characters living in the same town as me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Sorry Larrys mum, but do you know the mother and family of Larrys victim

Do you know how he has affected their lives?

No, i doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

No?

You're not able to see the middle of saying this thing has served his time versus that this thing deserves to be skinned alive?

It was more in reference to the way people are attacking those who don't share in the common hysterics over this thing

But he has served his time.. the time may be set incorrectly but that's not his fault, as bad as he is! It's the judicial system's fault.

What's he supposed to do now? I'd say even he wishes he was still in jail. There's mobs following him around.. that's not going to get him back in to jail.. it's going to force him to go into hiding completely, where he'll be an even bigger threat because he can't be monitored.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Pedro K

Pedro K wrote: »
    Concurrent sentencing is a virus. It basically gives people an incentive to commit more crimes. "Ah sure, I've killed one person, I may as well kill another because the sentences will run side by side anyway".

He was actually sentenced to something in the region of 90 years, but because of concurrent sentencing, he's out now.
    - Attempted robbery
    - Violent assault (broke her nose, smashed her head against the handbrake to shut her up)
    - Robbery of motor vehicle
    - Kidnapping
    - Violent Rape 1
    - Violent Rape 2
    - Violent Rape 3
    - Attempted Murder

10 years

I strongly believe that he murdered those other women and he will murder again.

I urge you all to get the word out on Facebook (with his picture) and to British forums, as he will most probably move to England. I will gladly spend a few hours doing this this evening.
    Like I said in my previous post. Concurrent sentencing is a disgrace. It's not that the sentences are particularly lenient (That's a completely different issue altogether), he was sentenced for each crime, it's just they all run at the same time.
    He should not be free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭MrDarcy

didds wrote: »
    I think if you know his brother personally, he'd appreciate the support for his family, otherwise...leave it alone. As for the no evidence....the only reason he wasnt convicted was due to the lack of evidence... he was working in the immediate areas and had access to the girls who disappeared. This is why (amongst other circumstance ) he's a suspect. Had the lads not stumbled on him that night in the woods, that lady he had was dead for sure.
    Theres no room for being a bleeding heart dealing with a psyche like his. He clearly has no empathy coupled with a serious sadistic streak. The justice system has failed us here. GPS tagged, he would not be the threat he is at present. Our government has failed us again on this. The law could and should have been amended to allow this to happen.

There is no evidence whsoever that he is a serial killer, which is what my post on this you have quoted was correcting. Ireland is a small place, I was as close in terms of geography as Larry Murphy was to all of those women, most of the population of Ireland lives in Leinster, me living in Lucan doesn't constitute evidence that I'm a serial killer. He was probably out to kill that poor woman he attacked and was caught for, but there is no evidence whatsoever that he ever killed anyone. This is media type that people are getting sucked into I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭HereNorThere

snyper wrote: »
    In the context of this discussion thats neither here nor .. eh

nevermind

Haha. Yes it is. Earlier I said that this dude needs to offed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭HereNorThere

ps- Where's his pic ? I can't find it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭The_Joker.

It goes to show if taxi drivers were decent human beings ,he would have been driven to the nearest travellers site in coolock .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭rebelmomma

MrDarcy wrote: »
    He was probably out to kill that poor woman he attacked and was caught for, but there is no evidence whatsoever that he ever killed anyone. This is media type that people are getting sucked into I think.

I have to say that as a young woman I am more than happy to know that the media is keeping an eye on this one. Proper legislation on sentencing of all criminals, especially sex offenders would mean the media would not have to do the job of our already over streched gardai

The_Joker. wrote: »
    It goes to show if taxi drivers were decent human beings .

Meah.

Not a fair comment

Meah.

Not a fair comment
    Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 DeltaC

Therein lies the dichotomy...between theory and reality.

In theory, there is no evidence, nothing has been proved, and he has served his time.

In reality, the risk of yet another woman, dying a horrible death as soon as he is "left in peace" is too great for any reasonable person to be expected to live with.

Why?

I dont know all taxi drivers, i do know a few, and the ones i do know are sound.

Makkiomi here on boards being one.

I dont know all taxi drivers, i do know a few, and the ones i do know are sound.

Makkiomi here on boards being one.
    Well ,I don't now him personally, but from driving around the streets of Dublin I have gained a hatred of them, and I don't know how any taxi driver could bare driving that cnut around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

rebelmomma wrote: »
    I have to say that as a young woman I am more than happy to know that the media is keeping an eye on this one. Proper legislation on sentencing of all criminals, especially sex offenders would mean the media would not have to do the job of our already over streched gardai
    They're keeping an eye in this guy, for now. Soon that will die down and Murphy will fall into the shadows of all the other sex offenders, both known and unknown.
    Even if he's locked up, doesn't mean its still safe to walk alone in wooded areas, regardless of how well you know them or how local they may be to you.
    This guy in or out of jail, theres always the normal precautions to be aware of...
    Safety in numbers while walking, being aware of your surroundings, staying in public view and if at night time in a well lit area...

These are simple things to be aware of even if offenders like Murphy were still locked up...

Well ,I don't now him personally, but from driving around the streets of Dublin I have gained a hatred of them, and I don't know how any taxi driver could bare driving that cnut around.

Yea, i know, i thought about it too... how could he do it etc...

but, the reality is its possible he didnt know who he was collecting.. its also possible he does this regularly for the prison and has become immune to it, same way as prison guards had to deal with him every day and not want to kick the head off him

• Advertisement

I won't lower myself to your pityful level.

Fuk off back to trying to be a mod than pretending to understanding this.

It is OK to have a take on someone due to their past :)
    You're considered a troll because your handing of an olive branch to Murphy appears to be attention-seeking. It's understandable for anyone to object to the angry mob, trial by media, media hysteria etc but that doesn't require sympathy for such a monster. You don't appear aware of the enormity of what he did.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement