Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: Will you taking the talked about rushed September vaccine?
Yes 417 36.87%
No 166 14.68%
I'll wait upto 6 months after to see if there's side effects 275 24.31%
I'll wait 12 months after to be on the safe side 149 13.17%
I won't be taking any Covid vaccine ever 124 10.96%
Voters: 1131. You may not vote on this poll

24-10-2020, 00:11   #4051
ACitizenErased

Fantastic news about J&J today. The participant had a stroke which was not linked to the vaccine itself.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
24-10-2020, 00:20   #4052
Dickie10

what do we do when we get acceess to vaccine? i presume we will still have level 3 restrictions. will the government keep these levels forever now, like use level 3 for winter flu season every year or two?
24-10-2020, 00:27   #4053
iguana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickie10 View Post
what do we do when we get acceess to vaccine? i presume we will still have level 3 restrictions. will the government keep these levels forever now, like use level 3 for winter flu season every year or two?
To what end? All of this is terrible for the overall economy. Once it's safe for this to end, it ends. Eventually it will just be a bit of a weird memory.
24-10-2020, 05:17   #4054
ILoveYourVibes

I found this it makes some very good points. A Vaccine isn't going to end the pandemic. Not for some years.

Quote:
He said those hoping for a breakthrough to end the pandemic would be disappointed, with some vaccines likely to reduce the risk of Covid-19 infection by only 30%.

"None of the trials currently under way are designed to detect a reduction in any serious outcome such as hospital admissions, use of intensive care, or deaths," he said.

"Nor are the vaccines being studied to determine whether they can interrupt transmission of the virus."

A linked editorial in the BMJ medical journal comments on the release of the Covid-19 vaccine trial protocols.
30% isn't going to end the need for lockdowns.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/1022/11...effectiveness/

I think people need to lower their expectations.
(2) thanks from:
24-10-2020, 05:31   #4055
Dressoutlet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveYourVibes View Post
I found this it makes some very good points. A Vaccine isn't going to end the pandemic. Not for some years.

This was previously discussed.
This is an opinion piece. Given by someone who has not seen any data because the trials are still ongoing. It's literally as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike
Advertisement
24-10-2020, 06:14   #4056
ILoveYourVibes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACitizenErased View Post
Fantastic news about J&J today. The participant had a stroke which was not linked to the vaccine itself.
Well ...sobering news for the man and family. Reassuring news for the rest of us....everyone counts!

I hope he is ok!
24-10-2020, 06:37   #4057
chrisbonnie

Quote:

Where has this 30% thing come from?

Obviously we'd all love for it to give 100% immunity, but my main reason for thinking the efficiency must be decent is the amount of money the companies have spent on it.

Surely to god there's no way in hell that Pfizer would had spent over 2 billion, on the logistical aspects of their product, if it only offered immunity to a mere 30% of the users.
Thanks from:
24-10-2020, 06:57   #4058
James Bond Junior

Quote:

An opinion piece which suits RTE's harbinger of doom drumbeat.
24-10-2020, 07:11   #4059
stephenjmcd

Managing director of Pfizer Ireland just so happens to be named Paul Reid.

Meanwhile HSE Paul Reid, has said a "population distribution" plan is being developed to decide how a potential vaccine will be released here

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/...-39662400.html
Advertisement
24-10-2020, 07:40   #4060
manniot2

serious clickbait from the indo today as usual
Thanks from:
24-10-2020, 07:45   #4061
Bit cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDD View Post
I agree.

I think the permanent changes that might come from this pandemic is that more people will work from home, and you might be more likely to step away from a coughing or sneezing person in the shops or on a bus. That's it.

We had the Spanish Flu a hundred years ago. They had masks then. I don't see that that particular outbreak (which was way more deadly than this one) stopped people from hugging or shaking hands or gathering in large numbers.

The only permanent change from the plague is our fear of rats. And that was a 200 year long outbreak.

Everyone said people would stop flying after 9/11. And then Ryanair started. People forget quickly.

People want to go back to normal, and therefore they will.
What I think will continue - not forever but longer than people imagine - is government restrictions. You mention 9/11. People, of course, resumed flying shortly afterward but the extra security checks remained and restrictions remained. After some IRA bombs in London in the early 90s, bins were removed or blocked throughout central London for years after.

Bishopsgate gets bins back 20 years after IRA explosion

If a vaccine does not eliminate the virus as people might have thought then we will have restrictions of various sorts to continue for a period longer than most would expect at this point in time.

Last edited by Bit cynical; 24-10-2020 at 08:42.
(2) thanks from:
24-10-2020, 08:21   #4062
jackboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbonnie View Post
Where has this 30% thing come from?

Obviously we'd all love for it to give 100% immunity, but my main reason for thinking the efficiency must be decent is the amount of money the companies have spent on it.

Surely to god there's no way in hell that Pfizer would had spent over 2 billion, on the logistical aspects of their product, if it only offered immunity to a mere 30% of the users.
Not sure if you are being humorous. Of course they would release it. There are several drugs on the market which are known to be almost completely ineffective and some do more damage than good. However, they were released when standards were lower.

A pharma company would release anything that makes a profit if the profits outweigh any potential risks to the company.
Thanks from:
24-10-2020, 09:35   #4063
dominatinMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickie10 View Post
Forever?! Are you serious! You do realise the detrimental effect that would have on both society and the economy. Obviously these "levels" are a short term solution. Even if we never get a vaccine (unlikely at this stage), I don't see the restrictions lasting "forever". The fact that a vaccine is most likely on the way, coupled with effective treatments, will only accelerate the reopening of the economy. I accept that there will be some level of restrictions (some social distancing, mask wearing) whilst the vaccine is being distributed, etc. but to think that such measures will be with us forever is unrealistic to say the least. Stay away from RTE would be my advice!
24-10-2020, 09:43   #4064
mean gene

Quote:

on one guys opinion
24-10-2020, 09:47   #4065
Le Bruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominatinMC View Post
Forever?! Are you serious! You do realise the detrimental effect that would have on both society and the economy. Obviously these "levels" are a short term solution. Even if we never get a vaccine (unlikely at this stage), I don't see the restrictions lasting "forever". The fact that a vaccine is most likely on the way, coupled with effective treatments, will only accelerate the reopening of the economy. I accept that there will be some level of restrictions (some social distancing, mask wearing) whilst the vaccine is being distributed, etc. but to think that such measures will be with us forever is unrealistic to say the least. Stay away from RTE would be my advice!
‘some men just want to watch the world burn’ - Alfred, 2008

Have to assume most folk abdicating for restrictions forever more are trolling at this stage, they surely can’t think it in all seriousness. The societal and economic damages of long term social distancing and restrictions (beyond say Q2/Q3 next year) would be astronomical!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion