Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

22-10-2020, 19:20   #4501
Infoanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipper_G View Post
Grosjean isn't a fan of ovals. I think it's very unlikely we'll see him stateside, the formula e / WEC option is more likely
That was before the cockpit protection screen was brought in - it's often forgotten that Grosjean came close to being a gp winner at Lotus.

Financial considerations so decisive in driver considerations despite best hopes
Advertisement
22-10-2020, 20:18   #4502
mickdw

I used to be a fan of grosjean but after watching that spin out at the spanish gp, it was id say the worst act ive ever seen in a race car.
It was arguably suicidal not to mention the danger he put everyone else in.
He purposely floored the throttle propelling himself back into the middle of the pack in a heavy cloud of his own tyre smoke.
23-10-2020, 15:18   #4503
skipper_G

Couple of interesting things from the team principal's presser.

Zak Brown rightly having a go at the BS response from Racing Point re: Stroll's Covid+ diagnosis
https://www.racefans.net/2020/10/23/...covid-19-test/
Little slap on the wrist from the FIA wasn't severe enough

Second one was Williams' guy not saying anything about driver lineup for next year because he didn't want to fuel speculation, and in doing so has only gone and fueled speculation
https://www.racefans.net/2020/10/23/...ssell-rumours/
Thanks from:
23-10-2020, 23:07   #4504
chicorytip

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMKC View Post
Alexander Albon and Nico Hulkinberg to Haas, George Russell to Red Bull and Sergio Perez to Williams.
Just what I think.

Who know's what will happen. I do think Haas need at least one very experienced driver do and Hulk would be perfect there
What about Latifi? He brings big bucks but that's all. Perez would be a vast improvement and has a large fan base in the Americas. Hulk and Grosjean are both finished in F1. I think Raikkonen might see sense and quit. So, there could be six places up for grabs.
Thanks from:
23-10-2020, 23:29   #4505
El_Duderino 09

Interesting to see Magnussen and Grosjean both saying they’re being dropped because they aren’t pay drivers. It’s a convenient narrative for them and there’s probably some truth in it. The Covid recession is kicking in again.

Haas needing pay drivers is a bad sign. It’s acceptance that they’re a backmarker team. I wouldn’t bet on them being there after 2022. The rule changes represent a major investment in the chassis formula.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
24-10-2020, 01:03   #4506
GarIT

Helmut Marko has said they are planning to replace Kivyat with Tsunoda. "The plan is to place him at Alfa Tauri. He only has to achieve the necessary points for his super license"

He also said Albion can stay if he continues to improve.
Thanks from:
24-10-2020, 01:07   #4507
AMKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicorytip View Post
What about Latifi? He brings big bucks but that's all. Perez would be a vast improvement and has a large fan base in the Americas. Hulk and Grosjean are both finished in F1. I think Raikkonen might see sense and quit. So, there could be six places up for grabs.
Sure he can go to Alfa Romeo when Kimi retires.
24-10-2020, 01:19   #4508
Buttonftw

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Duderino 09 View Post
Interesting to see Magnussen and Grosjean both saying they’re being dropped because they aren’t pay drivers. It’s a convenient narrative for them and there’s probably some truth in it. The Covid recession is kicking in again.

Haas needing pay drivers is a bad sign. It’s acceptance that they’re a backmarker team. I wouldn’t bet on them being there after 2022. The rule changes represent a major investment in the chassis formula.
At the end of the day there are 10 teams:
Williams - Joke shop. Just been bought out, won't be progressing.
Haas - Customer/B-team.
Alfa Romeo - Customer/B-team.
Racing Point - will be around the top of the midfield as long as they have Merc engines.
Alpha Tauri - Customer/B-term.
Renault - Stuck with not great engine. Will need to outperform RB by a half second to challenge for wins regularly.
McLaren - Merc customer, might get somewhere near the top soon.
Red Bull - stuck with not great engine. Need to out-design Merc by probably half a second a lap to compete properly.
Ferrari - stuck with a **** engine now.
Mercedes - best engine, will have the best engine for the next half a decade. Haven't had to develop this year's car at all.

All the teams' values will be inflated by the new buy-in BS so someone coming in and actually doing something looks very unlikely. In the early 2000s they brought in a new points system and then banned tyre changes pretty much to break Ferrari's dominance. Right now Mercedes have already done 6 months dedicated development on 2021's car, they probably don't even need to do it. I'd be amazed they haven't already put in a ton of development into 2022 and that's all they'll be working on next year.

Point being () which of those teams can afford to have non-pay-drivers and how many would get any actual benefit from it? At least half of the (small, 20 cars) field should be paid drivers if the teams have any sense. Why would Williams or Alfa Romeo pay someone a million when they can get paid 5 million for basically no difference in outcome?
24-10-2020, 11:28   #4509
skipper_G

Quote:

I think it's more an acceptance of the financial impact of covid. All the teams except for the front few depend on the income from F1 to keep the lights on. With the income expected to be half the usual amount based on reduced revenues, if they can’t find additional sponsorship then they need drivers who bring money. It's entirely possible that Haas may not be there in 2022, but somebody would buy them. The 200 million buy in fee for new entries makes existing teams a much more attractive proposition
Advertisement
24-10-2020, 11:33   #4510
El_Duderino 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipper_G View Post
I think it's more an acceptance of the financial impact of covid. All the teams except for the front few depend on the income from F1 to keep the lights on. With the income expected to be half the usual amount based on reduced revenues, if they can’t find additional sponsorship then they need drivers who bring money. It's entirely possible that Haas may not be there in 2022, but somebody would buy them. The 200 million buy in fee for new entries makes existing teams a much more attractive proposition
Yeah that’s a fair analysis.

F1 looks very weak at the moment. Has it always been like this or is this a really different time?
(2) thanks from:
24-10-2020, 11:33   #4511
murphyebass

What are they talking about on practice here? Someone said something that was controversial?

Offence nature of his comments, not just the swearing crofty just said.

What did I miss?
24-10-2020, 11:36   #4512
GarIT

Italian newspaper reporting Mick Schumacher and Nikita Mazepin have been signed at Haas.

EDIT: Sky Italy now too. Gio to remain at Alfa Romeo as he is getting big support in Italy and Ferrari like that, they can't be seen to kick the only Italian off the grid.

Last edited by GarIT; 24-10-2020 at 11:53.
(4) thanks from:
24-10-2020, 11:37   #4513
GarIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyebass View Post
What are they talking about on practice here? Someone said something that was controversial?

Offence nature of his comments, not just the swearing crofty just said.

What did I miss?

It could be that Verstappen called Stroll a retard after Stroll crashed into him. It's not really a PC insult anymore.
24-10-2020, 11:43   #4514
Joeface

Send a message via MSN to Joeface
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarIT View Post
It could be that Verstappen called Stroll a retard after Stroll crashed into him. It's not really a PC insult anymore.
He doubled down on that comment @ Stroll and called him a "Mongol" or something to that affect as well ( I don't think he meant the South Park kind) . Just stupid really. At this stage all Drivers know they are been recorded . An he knows he was a much at fault for that incident as Stroll was if not more
Thanks from:
24-10-2020, 11:46   #4515
skipper_G

Quote:
Yeah that’s a fair analysis.

F1 looks very weak at the moment. Has it always been like this or is this a really different time?
I think it's been like this for years, covid has just been a tipping point. The budget cap, and revised revenue splits are about 20 years too late.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion