Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2020 - General Discussion Thread (See MOD warning on first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,963 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Grosjean has confirmed on his Facebook (and probably other social media platforms too) that he's leaving Haas.

That’s fair enough. Mad to think he was on the shortlist for a ferrari seat at one point.

Magnussen should be very worried for his seat too. Google suggests they are both in big danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Anjobe

Grosjean has confirmed on his Facebook (and probably other social media platforms too) that he's leaving Haas.

Magnussen is being dropped too according to some accounts, an announcement is expected this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Anjobe wrote: »
    Magnussen is being dropped too according to some accounts, an announcement is expected this weekend.

Who is likely to get them seats?

Hulk maybe?

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Who is likely to get them seats?

Hulk maybe?

Hulk/Perez in one seat and a Ferrari sponsored rookie in the other seat would be a great deal for Haas.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,814 ✭✭✭✭flazio

It'd be some scoop for Gene if he managed to sign Schumacher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I'll be happy to see Magnusson gone, he's a real nasty person.
    Grosjean hasn't been great lately but he showed some potential over the years. 10 podiums is a good career for someone who has never been in the fastest 3 cars. And he has done a lot of good work as the present of the GPDA.

Russell maybe if the Williams rumours are true?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,814 ✭✭✭✭flazio

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Anjobe

GarIT wrote: »
    Russell maybe if the Williams rumours are true?

The Williams rumour was really based on Mazepin rather than Perez taking a seat at Haas though, so with both Haas seats now open is Perez back on for one of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,183 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Shwartzman was favourite but saw on twitter that apparently theres some political hoohaa between Russia and America that put that deal in doubt.

Supposedly American business is limited in how much they can accept from Russian business/investors? Which would cause problems for Shwartzman who is sponsored by SMP Racing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Perez would be a good catch for Williams or Haas but I don't think Williams or Haas would be good for Perez. It would be a step down for him. Albons seat in Red Bull is the prize that everyone wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,572 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Alexander Albon and Nico Hulkinberg to Haas, George Russell to Red Bull and Sergio Perez to Williams.
    Just what I think.

Who know's what will happen. I do think Haas need at least one very experienced driver do and Hulk would be perfect there

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,373 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Russell to RedBull would be interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Joeface

Romain Grosjean , good luck to him . May be he will follow Marcus Ericsson to Indy car . I know his team input was good but he did underperform on most race days . So It had to end a some point .

Kevin Magnussen on the other hand .. I know he is or comes across as an ass but really most drivers do. I do rate him highly and he is one of the most difficult people to pass when watching races . If he gave anything to F1 its his starts , after every race they get linked on Reddit . He is a first lap hero always gains 3-4 places on the opening lap. If he had a better car who knows . I though Haas would have kept him as the senior driver .

These 2 seats opening up do make things interesting .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

pjohnson wrote: »
    Shwartzman was favourite but saw on twitter that apparently theres some political hoohaa between Russia and America that put that deal in doubt.

Supposedly American business is limited in how much they can accept from Russian business/investors? Which would cause problems for Shwartzman who is sponsored by SMP Racing.

SMP Bank (who own SMP Racing) were sanctioned by the US Government after Russia invaded Crimea.

Joeface wrote: »
    Kevin Magnussen on the other hand .. I know he is or comes across as an ass but really most drivers do.

This is only a feeling not stats but I feel like he broke the rules and was unsportsmanlike more often than any other driver. Some could say that's a champions mentality.
    I recall him deliberately messing up another drivers (was it Alonso?) quali lap at Monza after the timing was messed up on his and he couldn't have put in a timed lap. So he overtook when the other driver was preparing their lap and raced them into the chicane, stopping either setting a useable time.
    And then how he was with Hulk when it was his own fault and he partially stopped Hulk replacing Grosjean this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

GarIT wrote: »
    This is only a feeling not stats but I feel like he broke the rules and was unsportsmanlike more often than any other driver. Some could say that's a champions mentality.
    I recall him deliberately messing up another drivers (was it Alonso?) quali lap at Monza after the timing was messed up on his and he couldn't have put in a timed lap. So he overtook when the other driver was preparing their lap and raced them into the chicane, stopping either setting a useable time.
    And then how he was with Hulk when it was his own fault and he partially stopped Hulk replacing Grosjean this year.

Yeah I've heard it said a few times amongst other drivers that Magnussen is considered the most unsporting driver on the grid. Don't think he'll be widely missed.

Grosjean's made a lot of high profile mistakes but at least he's a likeable person. Prior to Haas he was also a very strong driver when in a faster car that wasn't as unstable under braking or as likely to be surrounded by traffic in the early laps. Another example of how much of a difference being in the right car at the right time can make to a driver's career and reputation.

Joeface wrote: »
    Romain Grosjean , good luck to him . May be he will follow Marcus Ericsson to Indy car . I know his team input was good but he did underperform on most race days . So It had to end a some point .

Kevin Magnussen on the other hand .. I know he is or comes across as an ass but really most drivers do. I do rate him highly and he is one of the most difficult people to pass when watching races . If he gave anything to F1 its his starts , after every race they get linked on Reddit . He is a first lap hero always gains 3-4 places on the opening lap. If he had a better car who knows . I though Haas would have kept him as the senior driver .

These 2 seats opening up do make things interesting .

I'd agree with all that. The only thing I'd say is that it's fine to think a driver is an ass, but that should have no bearing on whether he should get a drive. I dislike most things about Hamilton but i acknowledge that he's an excellent driver. I conversely very much like Vettel but i acknowledge that he's only ok these days. I think everyone wanted Kubica to do well but it was clear how far off the pace he was when he came back. I don't have much of an opinion on whether Magnussen is a good guy or not but it's irrelevant either way.

I think It's worth mentioning in sport because it's supposed to foster emotional attachments to the sports stars. But I don't think that should cloud judgement about who is fast and who isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,183 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

SMP Bank (who own SMP Racing) were sanctioned by the US Government after Russia invaded Crimea.

Thats likely it so. It makes him moving to Haas very complicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,614 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

I don't think it's that big of a loss with Grosjean and KMag losing their seats.

Grosjean seems a nice chap but he's wildly inconsistent, capable of great performances and stupid unforced mistakes in equal measure.
    KMag was a decent driver but as others have said he has a reputation for not being the most sportsmanlike individual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Joeface

Hopefully I'm not breaking rules Linking this

https://streamable.com/4ki1xs ( Kmag starts for this season )

• Registered Users Posts: 11,287 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

flazio wrote: »

In fairness to them both, they had a very patient Haas team the last while, you could see their behaviour on the Netflix doc.

I wonder what will happen to them both now?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

If Grosjean doesn't end up in Indycar, I think it would be a shame. I think he'd fit great and get good results.

I wouldn't like to see him go into Formula e. It's just not the top-level racing series (yet).

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

I think he'll be aiming for the Peugeot WEC project.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Harika

For Haas also next year is a write off, so no need to spend money on drivers close at the bottom of the field, when you can get paid to put drivers there.
    Neither Grosjean nor Magnussen look like the next world champion, so no need to keep them warm for Ferrari. Sainz to Ferrari should have given Grosjean already the hint that he is done.

astrofluff wrote: »
    If Grosjean doesn't end up in Indycar, I think it would be a shame. I think he'd fit great and get good results.

I wouldn't like to see him go into Formula e. It's just not the top-level racing series (yet).

Grosjean isn't a fan of ovals. I think it's very unlikely we'll see him stateside, the formula e / WEC option is more likely

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

skipper_G wrote: »
    Grosjean isn't a fan of ovals. I think it's very unlikely we'll see him stateside, the formula e / WEC option is more likely

WEC ... Half the field could be wiped out in the first corner

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭Infoanon

skipper_G wrote: »

That was before the cockpit protection screen was brought in - it's often forgotten that Grosjean came close to being a gp winner at Lotus.

Financial considerations so decisive in driver considerations despite best hopes

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I used to be a fan of grosjean but after watching that spin out at the spanish gp, it was id say the worst act ive ever seen in a race car.
    It was arguably suicidal not to mention the danger he put everyone else in.
    He purposely floored the throttle propelling himself back into the middle of the pack in a heavy cloud of his own tyre smoke.

• Advertisement

Couple of interesting things from the team principal's presser.

Zak Brown rightly having a go at the BS response from Racing Point re: Stroll's Covid+ diagnosis
    https://www.racefans.net/2020/10/23/brown-criticises-racing-points-lack-of-transparency-over-strolls-covid-19-test/
    Little slap on the wrist from the FIA wasn't severe enough

Second one was Williams' guy not saying anything about driver lineup for next year because he didn't want to fuel speculation, and in doing so has only gone and fueled speculation
    https://www.racefans.net/2020/10/23/williams-not-confirming-driver-plans-for-2021-amid-russell-rumours/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement