Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Antisemitism rising sharply across Europe

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭1641

Let's re-visit your anti Rothschild comment...

Do you see the hypocrisy here?

No.

The 6 Day War?? 1956?

No mention of 1973 - who started that one?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Odhinn

jmayo wrote: »
    Do I have to reiterate the whole thing about how down through history states and nations have used captured territory?

I'm fully aware of that. They've also used things like beheadings, mass rape and impalement as well. Them days when such activities carried no consequence are gone.

jmayo wrote: »
    I don't agree with the likes of orthodox Jews setting up settlements in West Bank, but I can see how some Israeli's view it as fair game.
    A lot of Israelis don't agree with it either AFAIK.

It's not just orthodox Jews involved in it. There are secular settlements, conservative settlements.....

jmayo wrote:
    And do we have to once again go down the rabbit hole of showing you how out of all the immigrant groups to Europe muslims are the ones that have not been integrating, have been causing social breakdown in certain states, clamouring for dispensation to not comfort to rules on equal rights for minorities/women/gays/etc ?
    And the reason I am lumping muslims together is that it does not matter whether they hail from Bangladesh, India, Pakistan, Tunisia, Morocco, Yemen, Somalia, Egypt and now Luton, Bradford, Moleenbeek they very often have very conservative views due to the ideology they subscribe to and believe in.

So you're saying they're all the same. Like the anti-semites do about the Jews. Again.

jmayo wrote:
    You do know the whole freaking Middle East is a creation.

There was no Lebanon, Syria, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Iraq, Oman, Yemen, Kuwait, UAE.
    These states didn't exist in any format pre 1923 ?
    The Brits had been moving into Arabian penisula from late 1800s and had chunks of what is now Oman, Yemen, Bahrain, UAE.
    And when the Ottoman empire was broken up they along with France were the drivers in creating new states or really what they were being mandated to rule.
    What were we saying about spoils of war again. :rolleyes:

The Sykes-picot agreement of 1916.

jmayo wrote:
    So Israel is not an abberation in the region in terms of just being a creation by the rest of the world.
    The big difference being that there was huge influx of people from elsewhere and a displacement of the natives that had been there.

It's the continued expansion since 1967 thats the problem now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

1641 wrote: »
    No.

So one flag proves anti semitism on the left but the fact that most fascist groups, the far right, many Christian fundamentalists, most nationalist groups, the national front in France and our friends the fleg burners etc. are pro Zionist tells us nothing about Zionism, or at least something about Westerners who support Zionism?

It’s clear even here that’s there’s a fair amount of anti Muslim sentiment in the pro Zionist camp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

So one flag proves anti semitism on the left but the fact that most fascist groups, the far right, many Christian fundamentalists, most nationalist groups, the national front in France and our friends the fleg burners etc. are pro Zionist tells us nothing about Zionism, or at least something about Westerners who support Zionism?

It’s clear even here that’s there’s a fair amount of anti Muslim sentiment in the pro Zionist camp.

Having spent far too much time debating with conspiracy theorists, many of them use "Zionism" to cover for their blatant anti-semitism

As mentioned, there's normal criticism, then there are those who are overly obsessed

So one flag proves anti semitism on the left but the fact that most fascist groups, the far right, many Christian fundamentalists, most nationalist groups, the national front in France and our friends the fleg burners etc. are pro Zionist tells us nothing about Zionism, or at least something about Europeans who support Zionism?

Rubbish - One flag (perhaps there were more) shows that were anti-semites on this March. But it is only an illustration. Look at some of the posts that came up (and were tolerated) on pro-Corbyn social media accounts. And the one-sided obsession with Israel by some of our leftist (if that is what they are) pals in Ireland is along similar lines.

The far right groups you refer to are anti-semite in the same way they are Islamo-phobic. At the moment some are more interested in anti-Islam aspect - hence the Israeli flags as a provocation.They may want Jews to go to Israel but that is to get rid of them. There may well be some Jews who are sympathetic to far-right groups but they are very foolish. Jewish leaders have warned against this.

I take it that the Christian fundamentalist groups you are referring to are the ones who want "the Jews" to return to the "Holy Land" for some reason to do with the "Second Coming" of Jesus and conversion? It is not out of support for Jews as a people.

As for your point about Zionism - what is wrong with supporting it? Without Zionism the state of Israel would never have been established and the outcome of the Holocaust would have been far worse. Nor would there have been a refuge for survivors afterwards.
    Of course, some anti-zionists are not antisemites. But there are plenty who use this as a cloak of convenience to conceal their antisemitism (and, for some, perhaps even from themselves).

But I don't know what your general issue is. The far-right are clearly anti semitic. I am not suggesting that the left are to the same extent ( or as crassly so) but there is a significant anti-semitic element there and, unfortunately, a considerable degree of tolerance for this. As if the left's mantra of tolerance includes tolerance for anti-semites.

I take it you see yourself as of the left?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

No mention of 1973 - who started that one?

You should read what I was replying to, claims that Israel was never the aggressor only defender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Mullingar RULES YALL!

Don't diss my country!

Given this topic often goes off topic about Israel, is it fair to ask if West Meath should have been made the State of Israel, instead of a middle eastern dust hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Soros is a man who places people before money every time. He doesn't care about his image.

I am always HIGHLY amused by people complaining this rich man spends all of his money on leftist politicians and charity.

Do you think he doing it for himself?? this big business man who throws money at people like Ocasio Cortez???

This big business man who throws money at muslims refugees.This big Business man who threw money at poor black students going to university in Apartheid South Africa.This rich Business man who threw 100 million to Russian Universities.
    Yes this man who throws money like water towards education and Newspapers its HIM who is an enemy of democracy.

He even funded the yes side for our abortion ref.

He throws money like WATER at human rights in places he has never even BEEN. He throws money like WATER at politicians who want to tax the bejaysus out of him!

Yet its purely for his own selfish ends. And do you know what ..YOU ARE RIGHT it is. He does all this ...because he wants to. For his own selfish reasons.

And that is why he is own of my personal heroes.

I mean, I have a different take on rich people using their money to subvert democracy than you :D But the point is, why does being Jewish somehow make him immune to criticism for it? Are we not allowed to say "Rich people using their money to sway democratic election - especially when they do it in foreign countries whose internal politics are none of their damn business - are w@nkers, and f*ck those people whether they happen to be Jewish or not"? That's what I find disturbing about this argument. People acting like hatred of Soros from the right makes them anti-semitic, as if he's never done anything which the right could find legitimately democratically repulsive, is bizarre. He happens to be Jewish, true. That's a completely irrelevant and unrelated issue to the other issue, which is that he happens to use his money to influence politics outside his own country. That is also true, and that is why people on the right wing despise him. If he was French, or American, or Muslim, or Christian, or black, or Asian, or dreadlocked, or balding - none of these factors would make the right hate him more or less than they do. They hate him because of what he does, not who he is. Hell, Jared Kushner is Jewish and the right wing love him.

Why is it that when someone Jewish does something political objectionable, such as using money to influence foreign elections, people aren't allowed to criticise that without being accused of doing so with an identity politics angle? Am I suddenly Francophobic (that's hatred of Frenchies as opposed to hatred of Franco and hisantics in Spain) for despising Nicholas Sarkozy over his attempts to interfere in Irish politics? I have literally never been accused of such even though I have spoken extensively of my hatred for the man on this and many other forums. But no one is allowed to feel about George Soros as I do about Nicholas Sarkozy, because those people must hate him out of bigotry and not because his political activities are incredibly scummy.

Do ye not see why this makes the whole question of anti-semitism very difficult to fully take seriously? People are constantly conflating spats entirely politicsl in nature, which coincidentally involve one or more Jewish individuals, with hatred specifically of Jewish individuals. That's no different to supporters of George Bush accusing the world and its mother of being Anti-American because many of us thought George Bush was a grade A twat who should be told to f*ck himself at every opportunity.

Does anyone actually have a rebuttal to any of this? It really perplexes me how this isn't called out more often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Right wingers are torn. They support the idea of what Israel is about, but they don't like Jews, but the enemy of my enemy and all that.

So you've pro Israeli types excusing or dismissing the actions of right wingers as being just some randomers.
    Then they'll also say one lad with a anti-rothchild banner at an anti trump rally shows the entire left has a penchant for antisemetism.
    Why dismiss right wingers like Trump etc. as only a few randomers in their number being antisemetic? because the right, including Trump support Israel and couldn't give two f***s about the Palestinians so the pro-Israeli lobby will turn a blind eye, but the left, who happens to support civil rights and not butchering Palestinians, has an antisemetism problem...okay so :rolleyes:

Maybe any rise in antisemetism in Europe has something to do with the rise in white supremacy, I mean they have previous? Just a thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Maybe any rise in antisemetism in Europe has something to do with the rise in white supremacy, I mean they have previous? Just a thought.
    yeah you cant walk do the street without bumping into white supremacists these days

Right wingers are torn. They support the idea of what Israel is about, but they don't like Jews, but the enemy of my enemy and all that.

I suspect that no small amount of it is due to the notion that a secure Israel will lead to a Jewish exodus from their own states.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,854 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

I mean, I have a different take on rich people using their money to subvert democracy than you :D But the point is, why does being Jewish somehow make him immune to criticism for it?

You can criticize Soros for what he does, not what he is. Is someone waving Soros' religion in your face when you do?
    Are we not allowed to say "Rich people using their money to sway democratic election - especially when they do it in foreign countries whose internal politics are none of their damn business - are w@nkers, and f*ck those people whether they happen to be Jewish or not"?
    Of course.

Do ye not see why this makes the whole question of anti-semitism very difficult to fully take seriously?
    Not even slightly. Antisemitism is hatred of Jews because they're Jews. It's a very serious problem worldwide and the whole point of this thread is whether it's rising in Europe.
    People are constantly conflating spats entirely political in nature, which coincidentally involve one or more Jewish individuals, with hatred specifically of Jewish individuals. That's no different to supporters of George Bush accusing the world and its mother of being Anti-American because many of us thought George Bush was a grade A twat who should be told to f*ck himself at every opportunity.

Does anyone actually have a rebuttal to any of this? It really perplexes me how this isn't called out more often.
    Feel free to criticize George Soros for what he does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭blackwhite

I mean, I have a different take on rich people using their money to subvert democracy than you :D But the point is, why does being Jewish somehow make him immune to criticism for it? Are we not allowed to say "Rich people using their money to sway democratic election - especially when they do it in foreign countries whose internal politics are none of their damn business - are w@nkers, and f*ck those people whether they happen to be Jewish or not"? That's what I find disturbing about this argument. People acting like hatred of Soros from the right makes them anti-semitic, as if he's never done anything which the right could find legitimately democratically repulsive, is bizarre. He happens to be Jewish, true. That's a completely irrelevant and unrelated issue to the other issue, which is that he happens to use his money to influence politics outside his own country. That is also true, and that is why people on the right wing despise him. If he was French, or American, or Muslim, or Christian, or black, or Asian, or dreadlocked, or balding - none of these factors would make the right hate him more or less than they do. They hate him because of what he does, not who he is. Hell, Jared Kushner is Jewish and the right wing love him.

Why is it that when someone Jewish does something political objectionable, such as using money to influence foreign elections, people aren't allowed to criticise that without being accused of doing so with an identity politics angle? Am I suddenly Francophobic (that's hatred of Frenchies as opposed to hatred of Franco and hisantics in Spain) for despising Nicholas Sarkozy over his attempts to interfere in Irish politics? I have literally never been accused of such even though I have spoken extensively of my hatred for the man on this and many other forums. But no one is allowed to feel about George Soros as I do about Nicholas Sarkozy, because those people must hate him out of bigotry and not because his political activities are incredibly scummy.

Do ye not see why this makes the whole question of anti-semitism very difficult to fully take seriously? People are constantly conflating spats entirely politicsl in nature, which coincidentally involve one or more Jewish individuals, with hatred specifically of Jewish individuals. That's no different to supporters of George Bush accusing the world and its mother of being Anti-American because many of us thought George Bush was a grade A twat who should be told to f*ck himself at every opportunity.

It’s a strange logic where putting money into politics campaigns for democratic changes is somehow “subverting democracy”.

Never had you down as one for right wing conspiracy theories HP.

The conspiracy theories about Soros aren’t anti-Semitic because they claim he’s providing funding to political campaigns - they’re anti-Semitic because they always include countless anti-Semitic tropes that have been circulating for centuries. (And also because plenty of them also try to perpetuate lies about collaborating with the nazis).

Igotadose wrote: »
    You can criticize Soros for what he does, not what he is. Is someone waving Soros' religion in your face when you do?

Of course.

Not even slightly. Antisemitism is hatred of Jews because they're Jews. It's a very serious problem worldwide and the whole point of this thread is whether it's rising in Europe.

Feel free to criticize George Soros for what he does.

The problem is that people, including in this thread, are using the barrage of hatred for Soros from the right as evidence for the disputed claim that anti-semitism is on the rise. Same with anti-Israel sentiment - its ubiquity is being used as evidence for the disputed claim that anti-semitism is on the rise.

When issues which have nothing directly to do with the alleged problem are used as evidence that the alleged problem is a real problem, it's understandable if some are going to hear about the alleged problem and think "oh, that's just people trying to draw lines between things which are unconnected". That's why opposition to Israel and hatred of George Soros are two issues which, if someone brings them up as evidence that "antisemitism is rising sharply across Europe", make me, and I'm sure many others, immediately think "ah, so this person doesn't have any actual evidence that anti-semitism is rising sharply across Europe, instead they're taking legitimate political views which have a tangential (at best) connection to anti-semitism and trying to make the claim that X=Y, therefore Z."

To give you an analogy, it's like someone saying "Irish social media users are sexist" because Irish social media users have spent the last fortnight ridiculing Maria Bailey over her moronic swinging antics. "Irish social media users dislike Maria Bailey, Maria Bailey happens to be a woman, therefore Irish social media users dislike women". That's why it's so grating to see this crap always being brought up in threads like this.

Many people don't like Israel because it was literally created through the British Empire giving away land which it had stolen from someone else. Many others don't like Israel because it took land which wasn't even part of that original deal, which many feel was morally wrong to begin with, and forced civilians out at gunpoint to expand their state. Many people don't like George Soros because he uses his wealth to exert influence over democratic elections, even in countries which he has no connection to on a personal level. In all three cases, the fact that Jewish people are involved is unrelated and coincidental. People who oppose Israel because of either (a) how it came into existence, or (b) its continued and illegal expansion of its borders since then, would hate it just as much if Israel was a French ethnostate, or an American ethnostate, or a British ethnostate. People who support right wing causes, or simply oppose the idea that money should be a factor in who wins elections, would despise George Soros if he happened to be an Irish catholic, or an English protestant, or an Iranian muslim, or an American atheist.

The ethnic identity of the state of Israel and George Soros are not why people dislike the aforementioned state and human being, respectively. And trying to imply that their Jewish identity is the reason people dislike them, completely undermines and invalidates the subsequent claim that anti-semitism is on the rise. If that claim is based on 'evidence' which is patently false, such as these two tropes I've highlighted in this thread, it's not unreasonable that people will go on to presume that the claim itself is also patently false.

It'd be like climate deniers using La Nina, a cyclical cooling of the Pacific, as "evidence" that global warming is not occurring. When it's established, as it is, that La Nina has absolutely nothing to do with global warming and is caused by different mechanisms, then if this is the main argument climate deniers use to state "the Earth is not becoming warmer over time", it's perfectly reasonably for people to say "your claim that the Earth is not becoming warmer over time" is probably bullsh!t, because the phenomenon you are using as evidence for it is totally unconnected and unrelated to the phenomenon you are trying to prove the non-existence of.

I'm not really sure how else I can analogise this. Imagine someone trying to use the general dislike of Denis O'Brien or Daniel Kinahan in Irish social media discourse as evidence that Irish people hate... Irish people. It won't fly, because there are other legitimate factors in why people might dislike these two individuals, and their being Irish is unrelated.

EDIT: By the way, I'm not actually disputing that anti-semitism is indeed on the rise - for all I know it could be. All I'm saying is that when I see people use the words "Israel" or "Soros" in a post which is making the claim that anti-semitism is on the rise, I immediately dismiss the entire argument. Because it is bringing in issues which are entirely unrelated and irrelevant to the claim, to try and prove the claim.

blackwhite wrote: »
    It’s a strange logic where putting money into politics campaigns for democratic changes is somehow “subverting democracy”.

Never had you down as one for right wing conspiracy theories HP.

It's not a conspiracy theory, it's a fact. I have a problem with foreigners putting money into political campaigns of other countries, and to be honest I have a problem with the whole concept of money in politics as a whole. I find it corrosive and indeed a subversion of democracy - democratic results shouldn't be swayed by which side has more cash to burn on marketing and PR. I'd be fully in favour of limits on political spending, advertising, etc to create a level playing field for political causes with access to money and those without it.

Not sure how any of that constitutes a conspiracy theory. It's no more a conspiracy theory than the widely acknowledged spending by American conservatives groups on online advertising opposing the Repeal movement during last year's referendum, bankrolling the Iona muppets and so on. It irked me for two reasons - firstly, because they're foreigners trying to influence an Irish election. Secondly, because as I said before, I do not believe that political results and activism should be so closely tied to which side has more cash to burn.

If that's somehow a right wing conspiracy theory, then... :confused:
    The conspiracy theories about Soros aren’t anti-Semitic because they claim he’s providing funding to political campaigns - they’re anti-Semitic because they always include countless anti-Semitic tropes that have been circulating for centuries. (And also because plenty of them also try to perpetuate lies about collaborating with the nazis).

I'm not suggesting that there are no anti-semites who use Soros as a tool for spreading their bigotry, of course there are. But allegations of anti-semitism now seem to equate any criticism of Soros with anti-semitism, and that's what I have a problem with. As far as I'm concerned, Soros is an undemocratic piece of sh!t who doesn't respect either political fairness or national sovereignty. I would make the same claim about any incredibly rich person pouring money into political causes in foreign countries.

The fact that apparently one cannot hold these views without being automatically bracketed in with the genuine alt-right nutters is what pisses me off, and you've actually gone some way towards proving my point by alleging that I'm somehow buying into "right wing conspiracy theories" by taking issue with Soros' political activities.

I'm not ok with election results being decided by whose side the super rich come down on and how they can use their money to influence the result. I do regard that as subverting democracy. Hardly a controversial political opinion to take - in the States, opposition to money in politics forms pretty much the entire basis for Bernie Sanders' considerably popular candidacy for the upcoming presidential election, and formed the basis for his campaign in the last one.

And, irony of ironies, Sanders himself is Jewish. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Criticism of Israel is rising sharply across Europe, lets not confuse this with anti-semitism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Criticism of Israel is rising sharply across Europe, lets not confuse this with anti-semitism.

Actually this thread is about the measurable rise of anti-semitism across Europe, let's not confuse it with criticism of the Israeli government

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

More so among Christians but true.

• Advertisement

You should read what I was replying to, claims that Israel was never the aggressor only defender.
    Which is true.

I think hundreds of years of anti-antisemitism has shaped the lefts view of Israel.

The fact that gentiles think its ok to dominate the discussion with Israel says it all.

Gringo180 wrote: »

Anti-semitism is rising across Europe according to the reports. I think it is hardly coincidental that this parallels the rise of populism on both the right and left extremities.

Many governments in Europe criticise aspects if Israeli policy, and probably few more than our own. Criticism of Israeli policies is quite legitimate and is not anti-semitism. The barely concealed hatred of Israel, and the demonisation of Israel, by some populists groups and their followers is a completely different matter, which reeks of anti-semitism.

Of course here in Ireland anti-Israelism has been fueled long before the rise of European populism by Sinn Fein/IRA, because of their instinctive support and association with any terrorist organisation they could find worldwide - excepting their blood brothers in the UDA/UVF. So it was PLO = Good, Israel = Bad (subtle, wasn't it?).
    They were fortunate to have got out of the terror business (formally at least) before the rise of Al Qaeda and ISIS or they wouldn't have known which way to turn.

The Sinn Fein/Aontu types contort themselves to shoe horn the Middle East into some type of anti-Brit narrative. So it may be more of a need to find an outlet for their "Brits out" mindset than anti-semitism that fuels them (however irrelevant this is to the situation).

So the British Labour candidate who won the Peterborough by-election "liked" a post that said Theresa May had "a Zionist slave master's agenda".

But she has said that she will now "deepen her understanding of anti-semitism" !

The barely concealed hatred of Israel, and the demonisation of Israel, by some populists groups and their followers is a completely different matter, which reeks of anti-semitism.

It isn't, though. It's more about Western hegemony and double standards than anything to do with race.
    So it may be more of a need to find an outlet for their "Brits out" mindset than anti-semitism that fuels them (however irrelevant this is to the situation).

How exactly is it irrelevant? Israel exists because the Brits gave away something they had absolutely no moral right to make any decisions about whatsoever, against the will of the majority of people living there at the time. That places Israel on shaky enough ground to begin with, but most on the left will tell you that they would be willing to let that slide if Israel hadn't decided it had a right to seize even more land - again, without the consent of the people living there - by military force. The reasons for doing this are irrelevant, forcing civilians from their legitimate homes is an absolute moral wrong under any circumstances whatsoever.

Israel has a right to exist now (within its original borders, not the post-1967 clusterf*ck they're trying to pass off as legitimate) because many generations of people have now been born there through no fault of their own, because their parents moved there. But Israel should never have been created in the location it was located in, and that is 100% a British f*ck up, and yet another example in the world of British imperial bullsh!t.

There's a joke in an episode of Yes Minister in which two characters are discussing partition:

"Partition? You mean like we did in India, Cyprus, Palestine and Ireland?"

"That was our invariable practise in giving independence to colonies - it always worked."

"Eh... But didn't partition always lead to civil war? It did in India, Cyprus, Palestine and Ireland..."

"Exactly! It kept them busy, instead of fighting with us they were content to fight eachother!"

This is obviously political satire but it's an accurate representation of how things actually turned out. The Brits had no right to do what they did in the region, and for a state which existed on wafer thin ice as a legitimate concept in the first place to act as if it has a God-given right to take whatoever it wants from its neighbours with total disregard for how much misery this inflicts on innocent indigenous civilians is what makes Israel so infuriating as a state.

None of this is in any way grounded in anti-semitism. If Israel was a French colony or an Italian one, those of us who are anti-Zionist would still be absolutely repulsed by both its history and its present-day criminality.

I'll compare this with a comment I made in the "feral teens" thread a few days or weeks ago, when the thread devolved into an argument about the race of those involved and whether there was a racist element in those condemning it, or whether indeed there was a racial element in the gangs themselves - it doesn't matter what colour or creed a scumbag is, what matters is that they're a scumbag. So f*ck 'em.

What would it take, argument-wise, for those in the anti-Israel camp who are routinely accused of being anti-semitic to demonstrate that they are not - while maintaining their entirely legitimate political view that Israel is a state of ill-founded origin, and abhorrent present-day behaviour?

To state that holding these beliefs necessarily makes one anti-semitic in nature is simply untrue, and ironically you have perfectly summed up why in referencing the British Imperialist origin of the Israeli state in an attempt to delegitimise people whose beliefs on Israel stem at least in part from that very factor.

Is someone an anti-semitic racist for believing that the Balfour Declaration, apart from being an illegitimate act of attempted governance by an illegitimate foreign invader, was a monumentally moronic blunder, with decades-long catastrophic consequences?

Note that I actually support the right of Israel to exist, by virtue of so many third-generation Israelis (second and third generation Israelis comprise 70% of the population) who have nothing to do with the crimes of their ancestors. The same cannot be said for the Occupied Territories, where the generational demographics are rendered irrelevant by the fact that Palestinians outnumber Israeli settlers by millions to a few hundred thousand.

• Advertisement

yeah you cant walk do the street without bumping into white supremacists these days

But seemingly antisemites are everywhere, go figure...
    Odhinn wrote: »
    I suspect that no small amount of it is due to the notion that a secure Israel will lead to a Jewish exodus from their own states.

Pence and his crew support Israel because they believe it'll help beckon in the rapture. True story.

The fact that gentiles think its ok to dominate the discussion with Israel says it all.

Humans care about the plight of other humans. We should ignore the criminal Israeli regime because most of the population are Jewish? Give over.

Anti-semitism is rising across Europe according to the reports. I think it is hardly coincidental that this parallels the rise of populism on both the right and left extremities.

Many governments in Europe criticise aspects if Israeli policy, and probably few more than our own. Criticism of Israeli policies is quite legitimate and is not anti-semitism. The barely concealed hatred of Israel, and the demonisation of Israel, by some populists groups and their followers is a completely different matter, which reeks of anti-semitism.

Of course here in Ireland anti-Israelism has been fueled long before the rise of European populism by Sinn Fein/IRA, because of their instinctive support and association with any terrorist organisation they could find worldwide - excepting their blood brothers in the UDA/UVF. So it was PLO = Good, Israel = Bad (subtle, wasn't it?).
    They were fortunate to have got out of the terror business (formally at least) before the rise of Al Qaeda and ISIS or they wouldn't have known which way to turn.

The Sinn Fein/Aontu types contort themselves to shoe horn the Middle East into some type of anti-Brit narrative. So it may be more of a need to find an outlet for their "Brits out" mindset than anti-semitism that fuels them (however irrelevant this is to the situation).

You contradict yourself above. Criticism of Israeli policy is not antisemetic, but some you don't like protesting Israeli policy are antisemetic? If the protests are calling out specific issues with Israeli policy, that's good enough, if you want to read antisemetism into that, that's on you.
    The Irish who support the Palestinians, (not all 'RA heads by the way) likely see a fellowship with the Palestinians and the Israeli aggressors taking their land and putting their laws upon them. I can see it.
    All your comments basically suggest only extremists support Palestinians and you tend to dodge the right because you don't want to ruffle the feathers of any racists who agree with Israel on Palestine IMO.
    How come you don't put as much energy into calling out right wingers who may and are antisemetic? Because you'd rather concentrate on people or groups who support Palestine and it's right to exist.

..... Israel exists because the Brits gave away something they had absolutely no moral right to make any decisions about whatsoever, against the will of the majority of people living there at the time. That places Israel on shaky enough ground to begin with, but most on the left will tell you that they would be willing to let that slide if Israel hadn't decided it had a right to seize even more land - again, without the consent of the people living there - by military force. The reasons for doing this are irrelevant, forcing civilians from their legitimate homes is an absolute moral wrong under any circumstances whatsoever.

This is obviously political satire but it's an accurate representation of how things actually turned out. The Brits had no right to do what they did in the region, and for a state which existed on wafer thin ice as a legitimate concept in the first place to act as if it has a God-given right to take whatoever it wants from its neighbours with total disregard for how much misery this inflicts on innocent indigenous civilians is what makes Israel so infuriating as a state.

What would it take, argument-wise, for those in the anti-Israel camp who are routinely accused of being anti-semitic to demonstrate that they are not - while maintaining their entirely legitimate political view that Israel is a state of ill-founded origin, and abhorrent present-day behaviour?

Is someone an anti-semitic racist for believing that the Balfour Declaration, apart from being an illegitimate act of attempted governance by an illegitimate foreign invader, was a monumentally moronic blunder, with decades-long catastrophic consequences?

Note that I actually support the right of Israel to exist, by virtue of so many third-generation Israelis (second and third generation Israelis comprise 70% of the population) who have nothing to do with the crimes of their ancestors. The same cannot be said for the Occupied Territories, where the generational demographics are rendered irrelevant by the fact that Palestinians outnumber Israeli settlers by millions to a few hundred thousand.

I am not defending the Balfour Declaration or historic British imperialism in general. But Israel was not created by Britain or by the Balfour Declaration. There had been Jewish immigration to Palestine for centuries before the Balfour Declaration, mainly in response to some outbreak of pogromming or other. It accelerated rapidly from the 1880s onwards, even before Herzl founded the Zionist movement with the aim of establishing a Jewish state there. Britain had nothing to do with this. In the midst of the first world war the British made duplicitous and incompatible promises to both sides - with a view to getting the support of each to win the war. Certainly duplicitous but not exactly unprecedented in the context of war.

Certainly immigration continued thereafter but the biggest acceleration came with the 1930s as anti-semitism hit its worst in Europe. The British actually tried to control Jewish immigration and were not regarded as friendly or supportive by the Jews.

The partition of Palestine in 1947 was by a vote of the United Nations General Assembly. It was not a creation of the British who had by then given up trying to find a solution. Thereafter, Israel was constantly attacked by Arab neighbours, not with the aim of setting up a Palestinian state, but to "drive the Jews into the sea" and seize and divide up the spoils.

So, yes, the attempt to frame the very difficult problem as some kind "Brits Out" issue is pure bull. By the way, you say that "Israel should never have been created in the location it was located in". Where exactly had you in mind ? And as it was the place they were migrating to in ever increasing numbers, how were you going to move them to this other location ? Would they have to have been locked in there? Would you have preferred if the Jews who migrated had stayed in Europe and met there fate? Would that have spited the Brits enough for you?

Your description of Israel, its foundation and history is pure simplistic nonesense which only serves to support the vicious anti-Israeli (and often anti-semitic) narrative of a least a significant section ot the left. Its all down to the big, bad Israelis. I am perfectly capable of criticising Israeli policies, and I think they have made many wrong turns. But then so have their neighbours and so have the Palestinians.

I note your kind conclusion that you " actually support the right of Israel to exist, by virtue of so many third-generation Israelis (second and third generation Israelis comprise 70% of the population) who have nothing to do with the crimes of their ancestors". I hope you have communicated these good wishes to the people of Israel. It will no doubt help them feel secure and not worry any more about their situation.

How come you don't put as much energy into calling out right wingers who may and are antisemetic? Because you'd rather concentrate on people or groups who support Palestine and it's right to exist.

I have no difficulty calling out right wing anti-semites. They are truly disgusting and deniers of history.But at least they recognise their anti-semitism and relish their fellow anti-semites.

The left have long harboured their own anti-semites and are in denial about it. And it tends to focus on demonisation of Israel. But "international bankers" and other tropes also feature. Any left groups that are truly anti-racist would call out these snakes in the grass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

But seemingly antisemites are everywhere, go figure

both contentions are total bollox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I'm not sure if pro-israel or pro-palestinian describes the way most people feel.

Saying Pro israel means that you support their actions. the settlements, the bombings and denying the palestinians a government.

When people say pro-palestinian it sounds anti israeli. Like you don't think israel should exist.

What i want is an end to violence and for the rights of people on both side to be recognized. I think most "lefties" would agree with that.

(BTW, I do recognise that antisemitism exists on the left as well, I mentioned it ages ago in this thread but I'm not expecting anyone to remember that far back. I just don't think it's as widespread as some people say).

I think hundreds of years of anti-antisemitism has shaped the lefts view of Israel.

I'd say its more so 50 years of colonial expansion tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,854 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

I'd say its more so 50 years of colonial expansion tbh.

I think it's BDS and their muppets that makes it seem 'trendy' for so-called leftists to be anti-Israel, and of that group, some of them let their anti-semitism slip.

And perhaps that's why anti-semitism is on the rise in Europe, a fairly left wing place. BDS has made it acceptable to let it slip.

I think it's BDS and their muppets that makes it seem 'trendy' for so-called leftists to be anti-Israel,...............

Being "anti-Israel" is being in fact anti-colonialist, and thats been the raiso d'etre of the objections to Israeli policy since 1967.

BDS uses the same methodology as was used against Apartheid South Africa and is slowly but surely gaining ground in a similar fashion, hence the desperation to lable it anti-semitic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Not in '67 which is what I assume he was referring to by expansion

That is a technicality to be honest. The Arab nations were mobilised and ready en-masse to invade Israel. These intentions have never been denied. The fact that the IDF struck first via a preemptive strike is a fact of course and was clearly the right call militarily as the Arabs were destroyed within 6 days.

You don't take your shirt off and prepare for a fight, then complain that the other guy hit you first.

Being "anti-Israel" is being in fact anti-colonialist, and thats been the raiso d'etre of the objections to Israeli policy since 1967.

How do you suppose that when over 70% of the population are descended from jews living in the area for centuries?

So the British Labour candidate who won the Peterborough by-election "liked" a post that said Theresa May had "a Zionist slave master's agenda".

But she has said that she will now "deepen her understanding of anti-semitism" !

No Jewish conspiracy theory here at all!

How do you suppose that when over 70% of the population are descended from jews living in the area for centuries?

You might want to provide a source for that.

[PHP][/PHP]
    You might want to provide a source for that.
    -_-

Dude the ottoman empire???

None of what you say makes sense. You realize 70% of Israel is mizrahi right?

So did the Palestinians colonize hebron?

There never was a palestinian state to colonize. There was the Ottoman empire. It was vast.

• Advertisement

Hitler-hosts-the-Mufti-1024x640.jpg

https://timeline.com/nazis-muslim-extremists-ss-6824aee281d2

Maybe this had something to with what happened in Hebron.

The arab regime in Palestine has done nothing but evil for humanity. It might not be pc to say so but its true.

God HELP the Palestinians if Israel fell because it would be a blood bath.

People should GO to the west bank and Israel before they make their minds up.

Unless you have been there you really don't know anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Prominent Labour MP Rupa Huq being taken to court after hounding 2 Jewish employees out of her office.

When the last one was pushed out she tore a poster against antisemitism off the wall and on the floor.

They were Labour Party workers but they were still Jews at the end of the day for enough in Labour.

Naturally Huq has nothing to worry about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Danzy wrote: »
    Prominent Labour MP Rupa Huq being taken to court after hounding 2 Jewish employees out of her office.

When the last one was pushed out she tore a poster against antisemitism off the wall and on the floor.

They were Labour Party workers but they were still Jews at the end of the day for enough in Labour.

Naturally Huq has nothing to worry about.

Remember though....this is all a "Right Wing Media Conspiracy" to ensure Corbyn doesn't get into Number 10..

I have no difficulty calling out right wing anti-semites. They are truly disgusting and deniers of history.But at least they recognise their anti-semitism and relish their fellow anti-semites.

The left have long harboured their own anti-semites and are in denial about it. And it tends to focus on demonisation of Israel. But "international bankers" and other tropes also feature. Any left groups that are truly anti-racist would call out these snakes in the grass.

Right wing antisemites are your favourite kind of antisememites and you don't like people who claim they aren't but you think are. I get it.
    I think it's BDS and their muppets that makes it seem 'trendy' for so-called leftists to be anti-Israel, and of that group, some of them let their anti-semitism slip.

And perhaps that's why anti-semitism is on the rise in Europe, a fairly left wing place. BDS has made it acceptable to let it slip.

What complete crap. Putting people in a box is a much favoured past time of people who come up against thoughts they don't like. Find a left group and assign anyone you disagree with to that box. Simon Coveney is anti-Israeli policy. A bigger commie you'll never meet ;)

Remember though....this is all a "Right Wing Media Conspiracy" to ensure Corbyn doesn't get into Number 10..

Yet the lefist liberals own the media. I guess it depends on what right wing pro Israeli shyte is being peddled on the day.

Hitler-hosts-the-Mufti-1024x640.jpg

https://timeline.com/nazis-muslim-extremists-ss-6824aee281d2

Maybe this had something to with what happened in Hebron.

The arab regime in Palestine has done nothing but evil for humanity. It might not be pc to say so but its true.

God HELP the Palestinians if Israel fell because it would be a blood bath.

The old 'Nazi mufti=its ok to persecute the palestinians', despite the fact he was appointed by the Brits.

People should GO to the west bank and Israel before they make their minds up.

Unless you have been there you really don't know anything.

Which or what in these articles is untrue?

https://www.btselem.org/topic/settlements

https://www.btselem.org/topic/settler_violence

https://www.yesh-din.org/en/yitzhar-a-case-study-settler-violence-as-a-vehicle-for-taking-over-palestinian-land-with-state-and-military-backing/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Rubbish - One flag (perhaps there were more) shows that were anti-semites on this March. But it is only an illustration. Look at some of the posts that came up (and were tolerated) on pro-Corbyn social media accounts. And the one-sided obsession with Israel by some of our leftist (if that is what they are) pals in Ireland is along similar lines.

The obsession with Israel, in its defense, is conversly far right.
    The far right groups you refer to are anti-semite in the same way they are Islamo-phobic. At the moment some are more interested in anti-Islam aspect - hence the Israeli flags as a provocation.They may want Jews to go to Israel but that is to get rid of them. There may well be some Jews who are sympathetic to far-right groups but they are very foolish. Jewish leaders have warned against this.

The fascists are pro Zionist - you seem to want to distinguish here between pro Zionism and pro semitism but not the reverse.

I take it that the Christian fundamentalist groups you are referring to are the ones who want "the Jews" to return to the "Holy Land" for some reason to do with the "Second Coming" of Jesus and conversion? It is not out of support for Jews as a people.

They don’t call for all Jews to return in fact. Jesus just needs 144,000 Jews to covert to Christianity. However they are pro Zionist. Like you.
    As for your point about Zionism - what is wrong with supporting it? Without Zionism the state of Israel would never have been established and the outcome of the Holocaust would have been far worse. Nor would there have been a refuge for survivors afterwards.

Israel has a right to exist. The far right however support its takeover of the West Bank and support its actions against Palestinians for reasons to do with hatred of Islam. And racism. It’s a reliable indicator of right to far right sentiment.

Of course, some anti-zionists are not antisemites. But there are plenty who use this as a cloak of convenience to conceal their antisemitism (and, for some, perhaps even from themselves).

Hard to argue against self deception.i would say that The idea that anti semitism would appear on the left after centuries on the right doesn’t hold water.

But I don't know what your general issue is. The far-right are clearly anti semitic. I am not suggesting that the left are to the same extent ( or as crassly so) but there is a significant anti-semitic element there and, unfortunately, a considerable degree of tolerance for this. As if the left's mantra of tolerance includes tolerance for anti-semites.

I think you want to sling mud about (criticisms of Israel are anti Semitic) with much guilt by association (look at that one flag in that large demonstration). Personally I think the support for Israel - not its existence but it’s present day actions - is driven by racism. Although some might be concealing that from themselves.

I take it you see yourself as of the left?

No.

• Advertisement

Bulgaria has made a law forbidding Jews From marrying non jews. It has made a law forbidding jews from holding govt jobs.
    It bars them from holding any positions in government, municipal or other public institutions. It requires them to use Jewish names only, and stipulates that no Jew may become dependent upon the community.

It also forbids jews from living in the capital.

https://www.jta.org/1942/07/06/archive/bulgaria-emulates-nuremberg-laws-proclaims-new-anti-jewish-restrictions
    It also says only a certain number of Jewish children can go to school and they must leave if a non Jewish child needs the place.

These are basically Nuremberg style laws. It's so so scary.

Totally the opposite of the direction Ukraine chose recently when they ignored antisemitic propaganda to elect a jewish president.
    This has probably already been pointed out... You do know that that article is dated 1942, right?

Moving on to the 21st century, it bothers me that we are looking to Nazi Germany as the standard by which we are allowed to call something or someone a fascist.

It is true, perhaps, that Nazi Germany is the pinnacle of what modern fascists might ever hope to achieve with their pathetic worldview, but that doesn't mean that everything totalitarian has to be measured against the Nazis.

I don't believe that recent European history will repeat itself in our lifetimes. We're not going to see jews, gays and gypsies in concentration camps. Neither is that the standard with which we ought to judge the seriousness of the bigotry that is undoubtedly growing across Europe.

Advertisement