Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antisemitism rising sharply across Europe

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

There was some discussion on the thread earlier about why the left abandoned Israel post 1967 etc. Back then Israel did face serious threats from Arab nations - now it is the biggest force in the region and it’s supposed existential threat comes from the beleaguered citizens of Palestine. Any possible genocide there will be of Palestinians.

Back then the US was somewhat neutral - in the 50s the US opposed Israel France and the U.K. in the Suez war. Now it is a major backer.

It’s Israel’s treatment of Palestinians that attracts the right, and far right and fascists. They like what they see there, and they want it here.

As for the whole anti Zionism = anti semitism malarkey that would make most of the world anti Semitic.

https://www.vox.com/2018/11/20/18080086/israel-palestine-global-opinion

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

1641 wrote: »

I wonder though, where, the "nice", "egalitarian" anti-semite enabler posters are with this? "Nothing to do with us" is probably the attitude.

I'm curious who this is aimed at? Most of us here have been very quick to call out the anti-semitic posts straight away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Igotadose wrote: »
    Agreed. Neither Germany nor Poland were created by UN vote, unlike Israel. Israel's expansion is defensive in nature, they've expanded into land won during conflict. It's not invaded and annexed land, as Germany attempted in WWII and Russia just did recently in Crimea.

Perfectly logical to expand your country when you've repelled invaders. Spread out and keep your sworn enemies further away. Actually that's not quite right - Israel's neighbor's have sworn to destroy it, Israel's not taken a counter-oath.

You are confusing a vote with what's right. The UN or British more so, had absolutely no business voting on policy that relates to the land of others.

By your logic Israel should be wiped out, I disagree. They are there now and a peace should be sought.
    Israel took land and continue to take land, which feeds any aggression towards them. You can make the same argument for Hitler as you make for Israel except the Nazis were honest enough to call it what it was, invasion and war with a view of wiping out a people they deemed not fit to exist, in this case the Palestinians.

They are not oblivious. They perceive it as punching up because they perceive Jews to be wealthy and elite.

They also have no idea that about 70% of Israelis are Arab Jews from Arab or descended from Arab countries. And that most present day Israelis have at least one grandparent from the original Palestinian Jewish population.

And most Ashkenazi are descended from people who had to flee for obvious reasons. Hitler was the one who forced many ashkenazi to palestine. And the grand mufti supported hitler at the time.

If Israel wasn't stealing land and murdering, I think antisemetism in the region would drop sharply ;)
    It's about the criminal Israel regime and it's policies. The sooner BiBi does time the better for everyone.

• Advertisement

The Israelis never were the aggressors. Always the defenders. And, in some cases when agreements were reached (Sinai) they returned the lands in question. In others, agreements could not be reached and as such, Israel defends what they died to protect. All perfectly reasonable behavior in defense of their lives.

The 6 Day War?? 1956?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Odhinn wrote: »
    They're doing rather more than "protect" themselves, they're colonising areas outside their borders. Building housing and shifting their civillians to those areas can hardly be called defensive action.

Do I have to reiterate the whole thing about how down through history states and nations have used captured territory?
    I don't agree with the likes of orthodox Jews setting up settlements in West Bank, but I can see how some Israeli's view it as fair game.
    A lot of Israelis don't agree with it either AFAIK.
    Odhinn wrote: »
    Your wee rant about muslims is because 'they're all the same' I suppose. Which is ironic, considering the anti-semites make the same leap of "logic" with regard to the Jews.

And do we have to once again go down the rabbit hole of showing you how out of all the immigrant groups to Europe muslims are the ones that have not been integrating, have been causing social breakdown in certain states, clamouring for dispensation to not comfort to rules on equal rights for minorities/women/gays/etc ?
    And the reason I am lumping muslims together is that it does not matter whether they hail from Bangladesh, India, Pakistan, Tunisia, Morocco, Yemen, Somalia, Egypt and now Luton, Bradford, Moleenbeek they very often have very conservative views due to the ideology they subscribe to and believe in.

Much like how islamist terrorists don't hail from any one class, any one ethnic background, any one race, any one gender.
    It is the ideology they believe in.
    It's not comparable to either IMO.
    Israel is a creation placed upon the region. Constantly expanding aggressively.

You do know the whole freaking Middle East is a creation.

There was no Lebanon, Syria, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Iraq, Oman, Yemen, Kuwait, UAE.
    These states didn't exist in any format pre 1923 ?
    The Brits had been moving into Arabian penisula from late 1800s and had chunks of what is now Oman, Yemen, Bahrain, UAE.
    And when the Ottoman empire was broken up they along with France were the drivers in creating new states or really what they were being mandated to rule.
    What were we saying about spoils of war again. :rolleyes:

And the League of Nations rubber stamped the whole shambles.

And much like how India was partitioned the lines drawn for states were often pretty arbitrary or at least not based on what were once ottoman provinces or along ethnic groups.
    Even then the borders of what passes for modern Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Syria were not fixed for years.

Saudi Arabia only really came into being in 1930s.

So Israel is not an abberation in the region in terms of just being a creation by the rest of the world.
    The big difference being that there was huge influx of people from elsewhere and a displacement of the natives that had been there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭1641

It’s Israel’s treatment of Palestinians that attracts the right, and far right and fascists. They like what they see there, and they want it here.

Don't be ridiculous. Yes, dickheads waving Israeli flags are occasionally seen at far right anti- Muslim protests. But they are used as a provocation towards Muslims, not as support for Israel. These same people hate Jews just as much as they do Muslims. Anti semitism is rife in far right propaganda.

And that faction of the left that is obsessed with demonising Israel is complicit with this, whether wittingly or unwittingly. There is a long history of anti-semitism on the left as well.

jmayo wrote: »

So Israel is not an abberation in the region in terms of just being a creation by the rest of the world.
    The big difference being that there was huge influx of people from elsewhere and a displacement of the natives that had been there.

All's fair in love and war is it? We are striving to be civilised towards each other surely, or should be. Your argument centers on the person with the bigger stick being right. By displacement you mean occupation and expulsion.
    Don't be ridiculous. Yes, dickheads waving Israeli flags are occasionally seen at far right anti- Muslim protests. But they are used as a provocation towards Muslims, not as support for Israel. These same people hate Jews just as much as they do Muslims. Anti semitism is rife in far right propaganda.

And that faction of the left that is obsessed with demonising Israel is complicit with this, whether wittingly or unwittingly. There is a long history of anti-semitism on the left as well.

Let's re-visit your anti Rothschild comment...
    Anyone notice the banner at the anti - Trump protest today to the effect that they were all in the pocket of "the Rothschild's"? Not anti semitic, though, of course.

Do you see the hypocrisy here?

The 6 Day War?? 1956?

I know hardly anything about the 1956 war although I thought it was mainly the British and French who were responsible?

And from as little as I know about 1967, it was largely the responsibility of the Arab countries. Egypt closed the Straits of Tiran which was the access gateway to the Israeli port at Eilat (its major port for oil imports) and then began an army mobilisation. Yes, Israel then hit them with a pre-emptive attack. I suppose they were supposed to just wait until the Egypians for fully ready to roll in? I think the recent experiences in Europe might have deterred them from that naivete.

The Jordanians then began attacks on the West Bank - albeit tricked by the Egyptians who told them they had the Israelis on the run.

The Syrians were also "fooled" by the Egypian reports of victory and began shelling and sent in their jets. They ended up losing as well (BOO ISRAEL).

I think people can't forgive the Israelis for being better prepared and better organised than their opponents. What would have happened in 1967 if they had not been? (Please answer) The Jordanians and Syrians both took to the war once they thought victory was at hand. Neither they nor the Egyptians were aiming to establish a Palestinian state - rather to grab as much as possible for themselves.

The difficult Palestinian issue could have been resolved way back in those early decades had the surrounding Arab states shown an interest and willingness in having it resolved. Instead the Palestinians were just used as a wedge issue so that they could get as much from Israel as they could. It just didn't work for them.

That the whole focus and blame for the Palestinian issue is loaded onto Israel by certain sections of the left is a symptom of lingering (or other) anti-semitism.

• Advertisement

Let's re-visit your anti Rothschild comment...

Do you see the hypocrisy here?

No.

The 6 Day War?? 1956?

No mention of 1973 - who started that one?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,026 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Do I have to reiterate the whole thing about how down through history states and nations have used captured territory?

I'm fully aware of that. They've also used things like beheadings, mass rape and impalement as well. Them days when such activities carried no consequence are gone.

I don't agree with the likes of orthodox Jews setting up settlements in West Bank, but I can see how some Israeli's view it as fair game.
    A lot of Israelis don't agree with it either AFAIK.

It's not just orthodox Jews involved in it. There are secular settlements, conservative settlements.....

jmayo wrote:
    And do we have to once again go down the rabbit hole of showing you how out of all the immigrant groups to Europe muslims are the ones that have not been integrating, have been causing social breakdown in certain states, clamouring for dispensation to not comfort to rules on equal rights for minorities/women/gays/etc ?
    And the reason I am lumping muslims together is that it does not matter whether they hail from Bangladesh, India, Pakistan, Tunisia, Morocco, Yemen, Somalia, Egypt and now Luton, Bradford, Moleenbeek they very often have very conservative views due to the ideology they subscribe to and believe in.

So you're saying they're all the same. Like the anti-semites do about the Jews. Again.

jmayo wrote:
    You do know the whole freaking Middle East is a creation.

There was no Lebanon, Syria, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Iraq, Oman, Yemen, Kuwait, UAE.
    These states didn't exist in any format pre 1923 ?
    The Brits had been moving into Arabian penisula from late 1800s and had chunks of what is now Oman, Yemen, Bahrain, UAE.
    And when the Ottoman empire was broken up they along with France were the drivers in creating new states or really what they were being mandated to rule.
    What were we saying about spoils of war again. :rolleyes:

The Sykes-picot agreement of 1916.

jmayo wrote:

It's the continued expansion since 1967 thats the problem now.

No.

So one flag proves anti semitism on the left but the fact that most fascist groups, the far right, many Christian fundamentalists, most nationalist groups, the national front in France and our friends the fleg burners etc. are pro Zionist tells us nothing about Zionism, or at least something about Westerners who support Zionism?

It’s clear even here that’s there’s a fair amount of anti Muslim sentiment in the pro Zionist camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,799 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

So one flag proves anti semitism on the left but the fact that most fascist groups, the far right, many Christian fundamentalists, most nationalist groups, the national front in France and our friends the fleg burners etc. are pro Zionist tells us nothing about Zionism, or at least something about Westerners who support Zionism?

It’s clear even here that’s there’s a fair amount of anti Muslim sentiment in the pro Zionist camp.

Having spent far too much time debating with conspiracy theorists, many of them use "Zionism" to cover for their blatant anti-semitism

As mentioned, there's normal criticism, then there are those who are overly obsessed

So one flag proves anti semitism on the left but the fact that most fascist groups, the far right, many Christian fundamentalists, most nationalist groups, the national front in France and our friends the fleg burners etc. are pro Zionist tells us nothing about Zionism, or at least something about Europeans who support Zionism?

Rubbish - One flag (perhaps there were more) shows that were anti-semites on this March. But it is only an illustration. Look at some of the posts that came up (and were tolerated) on pro-Corbyn social media accounts. And the one-sided obsession with Israel by some of our leftist (if that is what they are) pals in Ireland is along similar lines.

The far right groups you refer to are anti-semite in the same way they are Islamo-phobic. At the moment some are more interested in anti-Islam aspect - hence the Israeli flags as a provocation.They may want Jews to go to Israel but that is to get rid of them. There may well be some Jews who are sympathetic to far-right groups but they are very foolish. Jewish leaders have warned against this.

I take it that the Christian fundamentalist groups you are referring to are the ones who want "the Jews" to return to the "Holy Land" for some reason to do with the "Second Coming" of Jesus and conversion? It is not out of support for Jews as a people.

As for your point about Zionism - what is wrong with supporting it? Without Zionism the state of Israel would never have been established and the outcome of the Holocaust would have been far worse. Nor would there have been a refuge for survivors afterwards.
    Of course, some anti-zionists are not antisemites. But there are plenty who use this as a cloak of convenience to conceal their antisemitism (and, for some, perhaps even from themselves).

But I don't know what your general issue is. The far-right are clearly anti semitic. I am not suggesting that the left are to the same extent ( or as crassly so) but there is a significant anti-semitic element there and, unfortunately, a considerable degree of tolerance for this. As if the left's mantra of tolerance includes tolerance for anti-semites.

I take it you see yourself as of the left?

No mention of 1973 - who started that one?

You should read what I was replying to, claims that Israel was never the aggressor only defender.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,419 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Mullingar RULES YALL!

Don't diss my country!

Given this topic often goes off topic about Israel, is it fair to ask if West Meath should have been made the State of Israel, instead of a middle eastern dust hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Soros is a man who places people before money every time. He doesn't care about his image.

I am always HIGHLY amused by people complaining this rich man spends all of his money on leftist politicians and charity.

Do you think he doing it for himself?? this big business man who throws money at people like Ocasio Cortez???

This big business man who throws money at muslims refugees.This big Business man who threw money at poor black students going to university in Apartheid South Africa.This rich Business man who threw 100 million to Russian Universities.
    Yes this man who throws money like water towards education and Newspapers its HIM who is an enemy of democracy.

He even funded the yes side for our abortion ref.

He throws money like WATER at human rights in places he has never even BEEN. He throws money like WATER at politicians who want to tax the bejaysus out of him!

Yet its purely for his own selfish ends. And do you know what ..YOU ARE RIGHT it is. He does all this ...because he wants to. For his own selfish reasons.

And that is why he is own of my personal heroes.

I mean, I have a different take on rich people using their money to subvert democracy than you :D But the point is, why does being Jewish somehow make him immune to criticism for it? Are we not allowed to say "Rich people using their money to sway democratic election - especially when they do it in foreign countries whose internal politics are none of their damn business - are w@nkers, and f*ck those people whether they happen to be Jewish or not"? That's what I find disturbing about this argument. People acting like hatred of Soros from the right makes them anti-semitic, as if he's never done anything which the right could find legitimately democratically repulsive, is bizarre. He happens to be Jewish, true. That's a completely irrelevant and unrelated issue to the other issue, which is that he happens to use his money to influence politics outside his own country. That is also true, and that is why people on the right wing despise him. If he was French, or American, or Muslim, or Christian, or black, or Asian, or dreadlocked, or balding - none of these factors would make the right hate him more or less than they do. They hate him because of what he does, not who he is. Hell, Jared Kushner is Jewish and the right wing love him.

Why is it that when someone Jewish does something political objectionable, such as using money to influence foreign elections, people aren't allowed to criticise that without being accused of doing so with an identity politics angle? Am I suddenly Francophobic (that's hatred of Frenchies as opposed to hatred of Franco and hisantics in Spain) for despising Nicholas Sarkozy over his attempts to interfere in Irish politics? I have literally never been accused of such even though I have spoken extensively of my hatred for the man on this and many other forums. But no one is allowed to feel about George Soros as I do about Nicholas Sarkozy, because those people must hate him out of bigotry and not because his political activities are incredibly scummy.

Do ye not see why this makes the whole question of anti-semitism very difficult to fully take seriously? People are constantly conflating spats entirely politicsl in nature, which coincidentally involve one or more Jewish individuals, with hatred specifically of Jewish individuals. That's no different to supporters of George Bush accusing the world and its mother of being Anti-American because many of us thought George Bush was a grade A twat who should be told to f*ck himself at every opportunity.

Does anyone actually have a rebuttal to any of this? It really perplexes me how this isn't called out more often.

Right wingers are torn. They support the idea of what Israel is about, but they don't like Jews, but the enemy of my enemy and all that.

So you've pro Israeli types excusing or dismissing the actions of right wingers as being just some randomers.
    Then they'll also say one lad with a anti-rothchild banner at an anti trump rally shows the entire left has a penchant for antisemetism.
    Why dismiss right wingers like Trump etc. as only a few randomers in their number being antisemetic? because the right, including Trump support Israel and couldn't give two f***s about the Palestinians so the pro-Israeli lobby will turn a blind eye, but the left, who happens to support civil rights and not butchering Palestinians, has an antisemetism problem...okay so :rolleyes:

Maybe any rise in antisemetism in Europe has something to do with the rise in white supremacy, I mean they have previous? Just a thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Maybe any rise in antisemetism in Europe has something to do with the rise in white supremacy, I mean they have previous? Just a thought.
    yeah you cant walk do the street without bumping into white supremacists these days

• Registered Users Posts: 8,026 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Right wingers are torn. They support the idea of what Israel is about, but they don't like Jews, but the enemy of my enemy and all that.

I suspect that no small amount of it is due to the notion that a secure Israel will lead to a Jewish exodus from their own states.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,071 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

I mean, I have a different take on rich people using their money to subvert democracy than you :D But the point is, why does being Jewish somehow make him immune to criticism for it?

You can criticize Soros for what he does, not what he is. Is someone waving Soros' religion in your face when you do?
    Are we not allowed to say "Rich people using their money to sway democratic election - especially when they do it in foreign countries whose internal politics are none of their damn business - are w@nkers, and f*ck those people whether they happen to be Jewish or not"?
    Of course.

Do ye not see why this makes the whole question of anti-semitism very difficult to fully take seriously?
    Not even slightly. Antisemitism is hatred of Jews because they're Jews. It's a very serious problem worldwide and the whole point of this thread is whether it's rising in Europe.
    People are constantly conflating spats entirely political in nature, which coincidentally involve one or more Jewish individuals, with hatred specifically of Jewish individuals. That's no different to supporters of George Bush accusing the world and its mother of being Anti-American because many of us thought George Bush was a grade A twat who should be told to f*ck himself at every opportunity.

Does anyone actually have a rebuttal to any of this? It really perplexes me how this isn't called out more often.
    Feel free to criticize George Soros for what he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,548 ✭✭✭blackwhite

I mean, I have a different take on rich people using their money to subvert democracy than you :D But the point is, why does being Jewish somehow make him immune to criticism for it? Are we not allowed to say "Rich people using their money to sway democratic election - especially when they do it in foreign countries whose internal politics are none of their damn business - are w@nkers, and f*ck those people whether they happen to be Jewish or not"? That's what I find disturbing about this argument. People acting like hatred of Soros from the right makes them anti-semitic, as if he's never done anything which the right could find legitimately democratically repulsive, is bizarre. He happens to be Jewish, true. That's a completely irrelevant and unrelated issue to the other issue, which is that he happens to use his money to influence politics outside his own country. That is also true, and that is why people on the right wing despise him. If he was French, or American, or Muslim, or Christian, or black, or Asian, or dreadlocked, or balding - none of these factors would make the right hate him more or less than they do. They hate him because of what he does, not who he is. Hell, Jared Kushner is Jewish and the right wing love him.

Why is it that when someone Jewish does something political objectionable, such as using money to influence foreign elections, people aren't allowed to criticise that without being accused of doing so with an identity politics angle? Am I suddenly Francophobic (that's hatred of Frenchies as opposed to hatred of Franco and hisantics in Spain) for despising Nicholas Sarkozy over his attempts to interfere in Irish politics? I have literally never been accused of such even though I have spoken extensively of my hatred for the man on this and many other forums. But no one is allowed to feel about George Soros as I do about Nicholas Sarkozy, because those people must hate him out of bigotry and not because his political activities are incredibly scummy.

Do ye not see why this makes the whole question of anti-semitism very difficult to fully take seriously? People are constantly conflating spats entirely politicsl in nature, which coincidentally involve one or more Jewish individuals, with hatred specifically of Jewish individuals. That's no different to supporters of George Bush accusing the world and its mother of being Anti-American because many of us thought George Bush was a grade A twat who should be told to f*ck himself at every opportunity.

It’s a strange logic where putting money into politics campaigns for democratic changes is somehow “subverting democracy”.

Never had you down as one for right wing conspiracy theories HP.

The conspiracy theories about Soros aren’t anti-Semitic because they claim he’s providing funding to political campaigns - they’re anti-Semitic because they always include countless anti-Semitic tropes that have been circulating for centuries. (And also because plenty of them also try to perpetuate lies about collaborating with the nazis).

You can criticize Soros for what he does, not what he is. Is someone waving Soros' religion in your face when you do?

Of course.

Not even slightly. Antisemitism is hatred of Jews because they're Jews. It's a very serious problem worldwide and the whole point of this thread is whether it's rising in Europe.

Feel free to criticize George Soros for what he does.

The problem is that people, including in this thread, are using the barrage of hatred for Soros from the right as evidence for the disputed claim that anti-semitism is on the rise. Same with anti-Israel sentiment - its ubiquity is being used as evidence for the disputed claim that anti-semitism is on the rise.

When issues which have nothing directly to do with the alleged problem are used as evidence that the alleged problem is a real problem, it's understandable if some are going to hear about the alleged problem and think "oh, that's just people trying to draw lines between things which are unconnected". That's why opposition to Israel and hatred of George Soros are two issues which, if someone brings them up as evidence that "antisemitism is rising sharply across Europe", make me, and I'm sure many others, immediately think "ah, so this person doesn't have any actual evidence that anti-semitism is rising sharply across Europe, instead they're taking legitimate political views which have a tangential (at best) connection to anti-semitism and trying to make the claim that X=Y, therefore Z."

To give you an analogy, it's like someone saying "Irish social media users are sexist" because Irish social media users have spent the last fortnight ridiculing Maria Bailey over her moronic swinging antics. "Irish social media users dislike Maria Bailey, Maria Bailey happens to be a woman, therefore Irish social media users dislike women". That's why it's so grating to see this crap always being brought up in threads like this.

Many people don't like Israel because it was literally created through the British Empire giving away land which it had stolen from someone else. Many others don't like Israel because it took land which wasn't even part of that original deal, which many feel was morally wrong to begin with, and forced civilians out at gunpoint to expand their state. Many people don't like George Soros because he uses his wealth to exert influence over democratic elections, even in countries which he has no connection to on a personal level. In all three cases, the fact that Jewish people are involved is unrelated and coincidental. People who oppose Israel because of either (a) how it came into existence, or (b) its continued and illegal expansion of its borders since then, would hate it just as much if Israel was a French ethnostate, or an American ethnostate, or a British ethnostate. People who support right wing causes, or simply oppose the idea that money should be a factor in who wins elections, would despise George Soros if he happened to be an Irish catholic, or an English protestant, or an Iranian muslim, or an American atheist.

The ethnic identity of the state of Israel and George Soros are not why people dislike the aforementioned state and human being, respectively. And trying to imply that their Jewish identity is the reason people dislike them, completely undermines and invalidates the subsequent claim that anti-semitism is on the rise. If that claim is based on 'evidence' which is patently false, such as these two tropes I've highlighted in this thread, it's not unreasonable that people will go on to presume that the claim itself is also patently false.

It'd be like climate deniers using La Nina, a cyclical cooling of the Pacific, as "evidence" that global warming is not occurring. When it's established, as it is, that La Nina has absolutely nothing to do with global warming and is caused by different mechanisms, then if this is the main argument climate deniers use to state "the Earth is not becoming warmer over time", it's perfectly reasonably for people to say "your claim that the Earth is not becoming warmer over time" is probably bullsh!t, because the phenomenon you are using as evidence for it is totally unconnected and unrelated to the phenomenon you are trying to prove the non-existence of.

I'm not really sure how else I can analogise this. Imagine someone trying to use the general dislike of Denis O'Brien or Daniel Kinahan in Irish social media discourse as evidence that Irish people hate... Irish people. It won't fly, because there are other legitimate factors in why people might dislike these two individuals, and their being Irish is unrelated.

EDIT: By the way, I'm not actually disputing that anti-semitism is indeed on the rise - for all I know it could be. All I'm saying is that when I see people use the words "Israel" or "Soros" in a post which is making the claim that anti-semitism is on the rise, I immediately dismiss the entire argument. Because it is bringing in issues which are entirely unrelated and irrelevant to the claim, to try and prove the claim.

blackwhite wrote: »
    It’s a strange logic where putting money into politics campaigns for democratic changes is somehow “subverting democracy”.

Never had you down as one for right wing conspiracy theories HP.

It's not a conspiracy theory, it's a fact. I have a problem with foreigners putting money into political campaigns of other countries, and to be honest I have a problem with the whole concept of money in politics as a whole. I find it corrosive and indeed a subversion of democracy - democratic results shouldn't be swayed by which side has more cash to burn on marketing and PR. I'd be fully in favour of limits on political spending, advertising, etc to create a level playing field for political causes with access to money and those without it.

Not sure how any of that constitutes a conspiracy theory. It's no more a conspiracy theory than the widely acknowledged spending by American conservatives groups on online advertising opposing the Repeal movement during last year's referendum, bankrolling the Iona muppets and so on. It irked me for two reasons - firstly, because they're foreigners trying to influence an Irish election. Secondly, because as I said before, I do not believe that political results and activism should be so closely tied to which side has more cash to burn.

If that's somehow a right wing conspiracy theory, then... :confused:
    The conspiracy theories about Soros aren’t anti-Semitic because they claim he’s providing funding to political campaigns - they’re anti-Semitic because they always include countless anti-Semitic tropes that have been circulating for centuries. (And also because plenty of them also try to perpetuate lies about collaborating with the nazis).

I'm not suggesting that there are no anti-semites who use Soros as a tool for spreading their bigotry, of course there are. But allegations of anti-semitism now seem to equate any criticism of Soros with anti-semitism, and that's what I have a problem with. As far as I'm concerned, Soros is an undemocratic piece of sh!t who doesn't respect either political fairness or national sovereignty. I would make the same claim about any incredibly rich person pouring money into political causes in foreign countries.

The fact that apparently one cannot hold these views without being automatically bracketed in with the genuine alt-right nutters is what pisses me off, and you've actually gone some way towards proving my point by alleging that I'm somehow buying into "right wing conspiracy theories" by taking issue with Soros' political activities.

I'm not ok with election results being decided by whose side the super rich come down on and how they can use their money to influence the result. I do regard that as subverting democracy. Hardly a controversial political opinion to take - in the States, opposition to money in politics forms pretty much the entire basis for Bernie Sanders' considerably popular candidacy for the upcoming presidential election, and formed the basis for his campaign in the last one.

And, irony of ironies, Sanders himself is Jewish. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Criticism of Israel is rising sharply across Europe, lets not confuse this with anti-semitism.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,799 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Criticism of Israel is rising sharply across Europe, lets not confuse this with anti-semitism.

Actually this thread is about the measurable rise of anti-semitism across Europe, let's not confuse it with criticism of the Israeli government

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

More so among Christians but true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

You should read what I was replying to, claims that Israel was never the aggressor only defender.
    Which is true.

Advertisement