Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kevin Lunneys alleged attacker dies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Well, if it's only fingers being pointed that's a lot safer than some of the items McGuinness pointed......all conjecture of course;)

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Well, if it's only fingers being pointed that's a lot safer than some of the items McGuinness pointed......all conjecture of course;)

All conjecture of course 😞 😞
    See latest recruit to the Ra

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

afro man wrote: »
    Ah yes let's point the finger at mc Guinness now??
    Well I don't think simply asking if they were related is doing that, to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    We can't know for sure who the "paymaster" is

On another note, Sean quinn was a terrible stock picker, i mean putting it all on Anglo Irish Bank, pick apple or coca cola ffs
    celt262 wrote: »
    Was he not trying to take control of the bank.
    SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Quinn has cost the citizens of this state over €3.5 billion between covering his investment losses and the insurance levy. In the past I felt sympathetic towards the Quinns.
    Not any more.

As has been widely reported, Quinn never sought to buy shares in Anglo, it was they who approached him, offering him a loan of the €3 billion to purchase shares and in the full knowledge that they had cooked the books.

Quinn owned over 50 companies. The ONLY one not making a profit was Quinn Insurance but the others were making enough to cover it. Quinn asked in the bankruptcy/liquidation hearing could he offset the others against Quinn Insurance and Anglo objected, liquidating the lot.

It's a little like a car dealer offering you a car he's clocked. You tell him you don't have the money and he says he'll lend it to you. You then find out the car is worthless, the dealer knew it was worthless, but the dealer still takes you to court for his money back, and wins!

Meanwhile the top dogs in Anglo had been giving themselves 10's of millions in loans. None of it repaid, all now written off and paid for by you and me. And still, throughout the whole banking scandal in this country, the only person to ever spend time in prison, is Sean Quinn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Motivator

We can't know for sure who the "paymaster" is

On another note, Sean quinn was a terrible stock picker, i mean putting it all on Anglo Irish Bank, pick apple or coca cola ffs

I wouldn’t be doubting Quinn’s intelligence for a second. He was worth billions in his heyday. He still has hundreds of millions stashed around the world.

A scumbag yes, thick he is not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Motivator wrote: »
    I wouldn’t be doubting Quinn’s intelligence for a second. He was worth billions in his heyday. He still has hundreds of millions stashed around the world.

A scumbag yes, thick he is not.

He needlessly lost it all, biggest rush of blood to the head ever

He needlessly lost it all, biggest rush of blood to the head ever

"all in!"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Scotty # wrote: »
    As has been widely reported, Quinn never sought to buy shares in Anglo, it was they who approached him, offering him a loan of the €3 billion to purchase shares and in the full knowledge that they had cooked the books.

Quinn owned over 50 companies. The ONLY one not making a profit was Quinn Insurance but the others were making enough to cover it. Quinn asked in the bankruptcy/liquidation hearing could he offset the others against Quinn Insurance and Anglo objected, liquidating the lot.

It's a little like a car dealer offering you a car he's clocked. You tell him you don't have the money and he says he'll lend it to you. You then find out the car is worthless, the dealer knew it was worthless, but the dealer still takes you to court for his money back, and wins!

Meanwhile the top dogs in Anglo had been giving themselves 10's of millions in loans. None of it repaid, all now written off and paid for by you and me. And still, throughout the whole banking scandal in this country, the only person to ever spend time in prison, is Sean Quinn.

Quinn never sought to buy shares in Anglo.
    Wrong.

Quinn Insurance lost over €900 million in 2009. Largely because Quinn illegally borrowed money from the business to pay for his huge investment losses.

Sean Quinn and his son went to jail for contempt of court by hiding millions in assets from the Irish taxpayer.

This is not a good man done wrong story. This is the story of a greedy billionaire who gambled and lost and ordinary Irish people are picking up the tab.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Do you rewrite history as a hobby?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Ain't it curious how Gerry's never taken a single action against countless people who supposedly slander him by stating categorically that he was a member of the Provisional IRA.

You'd imagine that would have been a bugbear of his, not to mention a fairly lucrative means of setting the record straight.

But no, nothing, nada, not a peep.

Judges are political appointees so their impartiality cannot be relied upon in political cases generally. Besides, why should he have to prove anything. Gerry Adams is not the one casting aspersions. If everyone in public life took to the High court for every untruth told about them, the courts would have no time for anyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Gerry Adams denies he was in the IRA. A lot of people who don`t like him because he is a republican and they are not, tend not to believe him. I am a not a republican (I am ultra right wing and ultra nationalist) however, I think not liking or strongly disagreeing with him does not cut it when it comes to deciding on his integrity.

I have an intense dislike of Michael D, but I wouldn`t dream of questioning his sincerity or integrity, let alone accuse him of anything based on that dislike.

Its pretty much impossible to believe that Gerry Adams both ran Sinn Fein with an iron fist for over three decades without opposition and also able to convince the IRA killers who had no qualms about murder to give up the armed struggle; that he wasn't in a position in the IRA to be able to accomplish that.
    Bo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,264 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Ah jebus, do you really believe that. Quinn took a huge position through CFD's. Typically, these positions have stop limits to limit the damage if thigs go horribly wrong.

Why did Quinn not have stop limits? Could it be that closing out of the CFD's was always intended to leave Quinn as the owner of the shares rather than settling the margin call? Was he subverting stock market rules and using CFDs to enable him to almost instantaneously take a controlling shareholding in Anglo, a hostile takeover? Did he borrow the money from Anglo before or after this scheme went horribly wrong?

Did Anglo know anything about the hostile takeover before it had gone horribly wrong, you can bet they didn’t. Quinn thought he was smarter than everyone but it turned out he was the biggest fool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

You don't own shares with contracts for differences, people use cfds when they don't have access to the shares to buy but you still want to win on any rise in share price.

Its pretty much impossible to believe that Gerry Adams both ran Sinn Fein with an iron fist for over three decades without opposition and also able to convince the IRA killers who had no qualms about murder to give up the armed struggle; that he wasn't in a position in the IRA to be able to accomplish that.
    Bo

I disagree. Gerry Adams is a republican and as you point out, he was the leader of Sinn Féin, so naturally he would have been someone who would have been in a position to direct the provos away from violence (which he eventually did). He may well have believed in their armed struggle for a time but then so did lots of other people who were never in the IRA either. I know he might have been in the IRA but so might many other people. Proof is the missing ingredient.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I don`t think anyone ordered the attack. It was not a terrorist attack in that it was not politically motivated. It was not business motivated in that Sean Quinn had nothing to do with it and nobody else could reasonably be expected to be assured of Mr Lunneys job had he decided to quit. I think it was just a few local lads unhappy with the way Dublin institutions ignored the incompetence of the financial regulator (which all taxpayers had to fund) and opted to go after the assets of Mr Quinn. Such anger with the Dublin government is entirely understandable in my opinion.

I don`t know who this person in the UK was but I do not believe he "ordered" an attack. He was probably someone certain individuals in positions of power here in Ireland had a gripe against and decided to use the horrendous attack in Cavan as an excuse to make trouble for that person. This is just what I think is most likely. There is a culture in this country of assuming certain individuals are troublemakers and then the authorities cause trouble for those people. Granted these people are probably not angels but I think such crude methods are wrong and can lead to injustices.

For example, a former Garda Commissioner announced a few years ago that Gerry Adams was in the IRA and based on that, we were all supposed to believe it. Maybe it was true but I require irrefutable evidence which I deem to be beyond all reasonable doubt. Then wasn`t there some attempt by the Gardaí to pin something on some people up in Donegal a few years back? This is to say nothing of all the other scandals around fake breath tests and so on.

Call me a skeptic but I just don`t think anyone ordered the attack on Mr Lunney.

The attack on Kevin Lunney was just one incident in a series of incidents over the last 6 or 7 years, most of them going unreported/under reported. The gang have waged a war of destruction in Derylin/ballyconnel area on QIH property and employees, this is not just random attacks by disgruntled thugs.

Do you regularly read articles and then decide (based on nothing) that what you read didn’t actually happen at all and is just made up by the media or others to explain an incident/story?

I have friends from that area having worked there years ago. They are firmly of the belief that SQ in behind these attacks. He is probably the only person with the financial means to pay the thugs to carry them out and he is the only person who could benefit from the current owners quitting the business. The thinking behind it is that if enough damage and harm is caused to the business and it’s management they’ll bail and sell the company. No one else in their right mind will buy it given them threat of similar happening to them. SQ will then buy the business for pennies through some foreign based front company and build it up again...which makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

The attack on Kevin Lunney was just one incident in a series of incidents over the last 6 or 7 years, most of them going unreported/under reported. The gang have waged a war of destruction in Derylin/ballyconnel area on QIH property and employees, this is not just random attacks by disgruntled thugs.

Do you regularly read articles and then decide (based on nothing) that what you read didn’t actually happen at all and is just made up by the media or others to explain an incident/story?

I have friends from that area having worked there years ago. They are firmly of the belief that SQ in behind these attacks. He is probably the only person with the financial means to pay the thugs to carry them out and he is the only person who could benefit from the current owners quitting the business. The thinking behind it is that if enough damage and harm is caused to the business and it’s management they’ll bail and sell the company. No one else in their right mind will buy it given them threat of similar happening to them. SQ will then buy the business for pennies through some foreign based front company and build it up again...which makes sense.

He’s 71.

Would he really have the motivation to carry out this master plan at that age?

I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,264 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Ipso wrote: »
    You don't own shares with contracts for differences, people use cfds when they don't have access to the shares to buy but you still want to win on any rise in share price.

That's my point, Quinn ended up owning the shares when he closed out his CFD's, it can only have been by design.

The very fact that you would say so reinforces my belief that this was just a random attack by angry citizens. Mr Quinn has condemned the attack and said he had no interest in managing his former businesses because of the attack. It makes no sense saying he had anything to do with it. It was a random attack by people who were upset by the injustice of it all.

lola85 wrote: »
    He’s 71.

I doubt it.

Losing a multi billion euro empire that he built up more or less single handedly from absolutely nothing would be motivation enough.

I don’t really know Sean Quinn although I met him many times when I lived in the area but I don’t think he’d think he was too old to be thinking about finances or business.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

The very fact that you would say so reinforces my belief that this was just a random attack by angry citizens. Mr Quinn has condemned the attack and said he had no interest in managing his former businesses because of the attack. It makes no sense saying he had anything to do with it. It was a random attack by people who were upset by the injustice of it all.

Did you just call the abduction and assault of Kevin Lunney a random attack”. You are completely deluded.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement

FFS of course he was going to condemn the attack, how could he do anything but condemn it, to say anything else would point the finger st him. Are you really that gullible????

Your comments certainly do not reflect your username, you are very clearly detached from reality.

Read this and tell me they’re just random attacks .

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/crossborder-arsonist-paid-20000-a-time-for-70-attacks-on-quinn-firms-38566764.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭wandererz

lola85 wrote: »
    He’s 71.

I doubt it.

Trump is 72 & look at what he pulled off.
    Bloomberg is 77 & just announced candidacy.
    Biden is 76
    Michael D Higgins is 81

Ambition does not die with age.
    If you've done it before & then failed you have more conviction that you can do it again & succeed. Success breeds success. Power begets power.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Ah jebus, do you really believe that. Quinn took a huge position through CFD's. Typically, these positions have stop limits to limit the damage if thigs go horribly wrong.

But didn't Anglo pressure him into converting these to actual shares with further borrowings of another €2 billion in an effort to keep the banks share price stable? Didn't Anglo also approach the Maple Ten around the same time to get them to purchase shares in the bank too? All the time knowing they were borrowing from the bank across the road to balance the books?

I'm not saying Quinn did nothing wrong or wasn't greedy. I think he took an enormous gamble that didn't pay off but was that crooked? foolish maybe, but crooked?

Anglo's top brass on the other hand.... well you only have to listen to the tapes.

Sean Fitz, while running Anglo, had over €120m in hidden loans to himself. He gets charged, and the judge tells the jury they must acquit him because the investigation 'was unbalanced'. Meanwhile he keeps his big house and pension after he's cost the state billions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Too good for the c..t

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭RobbieMD

And still, throughout the whole banking scandal in this country, the only person to ever spend time in prison, is Sean Quinn.

What about David Drumm, Willie McAteer, Denis Casey and John Bowe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

I'd say it was across the water he picked up the Dublin Jimmy sobriquet. Any Irish person would take one look at the lad and surmise he wasn't reared anywhere near the big smoke:p

He was of course born & raised in Swords.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭blueshade

The world is a better place without him. Now if only he who cannot be named, was to drop dead, preferably roaring in agony, the world would be an even better placed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

wandererz wrote: »
    Trump is 72 & look at what he pulled off.
    Bloomberg is 77 & just announced candidacy.
    Biden is 76
    Michael D Higgins is 81

Ambition does not die with age.
    If you've done it before & then failed you have more conviction that you can do it again & succeed. Success breeds success. Power begets power.

True.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Quinn never sought to buy shares in Anglo.
    Wrong.

Quinn Insurance lost over €900 million in 2009. Largely because Quinn illegally borrowed money from the business to pay for his huge investment losses.

Sean Quinn and his son went to jail for contempt of court by hiding millions in assets from the Irish taxpayer.

This is not a good man done wrong story. This is the story of a greedy billionaire who gambled and lost and ordinary Irish people are picking up the tab.

He didn't just buy shares, he bought CFD, s, bought on margin

• Advertisement

Did you just call the abduction and assault of Kevin Lunney a random attack”. You are completely deluded.

Random in so far as it was not ordered by a third party. I agree he was targeted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement