Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kevin Lunneys alleged attacker dies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

FFS of course he was going to condemn the attack, how could he do anything but condemn it, to say anything else would point the finger st him.

And having condemned it and lamented the fact that he would be blamed, Sean Quinn was accused of assuming the role of victim.

This Dublin perspective of Sean Quinn is comical. It reminds me of Gene Hackman`s line in the movie Unforgiven: Innocent! Innocent of what?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Random in so far as it was not ordered by a third party. I agree he was targeted.

Your username is completely inappropriate

• Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

lola85 wrote: »
    True.

Not entirely

Michael D is 78

images-16.jpeg

I think it was just a few local lads unhappy with the way Dublin institutions ignored the incompetence of the financial regulator (which all taxpayers had to fund) and opted to go after the assets of Mr Quinn. Such anger with the Dublin government is entirely understandable in my opinion.

Makes sense, cos in my experience groups of local lads down the pub do get upset about the activities of financial regulators. And decide to act out out that upset by kidnapping and viciously torturing a prominent businessman...

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

The attack on Kevin Lunney was just one incident in a series of incidents over the last 6 or 7 years, most of them going unreported/under reported. The gang have waged a war of destruction in Derylin/ballyconnel area on QIH property and employees, this is not just random attacks by disgruntled thugs.

Do you regularly read articles and then decide (based on nothing) that what you read didn’t actually happen at all and is just made up by the media or others to explain an incident/story?

I have friends from that area having worked there years ago. They are firmly of the belief that SQ in behind these attacks. He is probably the only person with the financial means to pay the thugs to carry them out and he is the only person who could benefit from the current owners quitting the business. The thinking behind it is that if enough damage and harm is caused to the business and it’s management they’ll bail and sell the company. No one else in their right mind will buy it given them threat of similar happening to them. SQ will then buy the business for pennies through some foreign based front company and build it up again...which makes sense.

SQ, which SQ?

• Advertisement

coastwatch wrote: »
    SQ, which SQ?

Michael Collins's SQuad, brought back for one last job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

SQ, which SQ?

Sebastian Quo.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

SQ Snr or Jnr?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Scotty # wrote: »
    As has been widely reported, Quinn never sought to buy shares in Anglo, it was they who approached him, offering him a loan of the €3 billion to purchase shares and in the full knowledge that they had cooked the books.

Quinn owned over 50 companies. The ONLY one not making a profit was Quinn Insurance but the others were making enough to cover it. Quinn asked in the bankruptcy/liquidation hearing could he offset the others against Quinn Insurance and Anglo objected, liquidating the lot.

It's a little like a car dealer offering you a car he's clocked. You tell him you don't have the money and he says he'll lend it to you. You then find out the car is worthless, the dealer knew it was worthless, but the dealer still takes you to court for his money back, and wins!

Meanwhile the top dogs in Anglo had been giving themselves 10's of millions in loans. None of it repaid, all now written off and paid for by you and me. And still, throughout the whole banking scandal in this country, the only person to ever spend time in prison, is Sean Quinn.

The person who bought the car would be taking the dealer to court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Makes sense, cos in my experience groups of local lads down the pub do get upset about the activities of financial regulators. And decide to act out out that upset by kidnapping and viciously torturing a prominent businessman...
    And obviously up in the border region, that'll show the "Dublin government".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

SQ Snr or Jnr?

Well, that's a legitimate question. I don't think anyone knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭FionnK86

How can I watch Spotlight interview abroad?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭high_king

The Derbyshire police were literally only acting at the request of the Gardaí/PSNI. The English cops didn’t know the guy from Adam, and had no reason to. He was in a safe house in England. How do you think the Gardaí were supposed to arrest him themselves when he was outside their jurisdiction?

More bullshyte.
    Do you think the Gardai should have tried a little bit of policing long before then ? And why are the English police the only ones carryout any tangible actions. lol

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Not just for collecting motor tax and speeding fines. In a week where the Guards have been widely commended for how they conducted the investigation that secured the conviction of Ireland’s youngest murderers.

Some kids in Kildare. . that they let run feral until some of them carry out the most botched amateur murder. Hardly intelligent effective policing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,264 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Scotty # wrote: »
    But didn't Anglo pressure him into converting these to actual shares with further borrowings of another €2 billion in an effort to keep the banks share price stable?

How could they do that, Quinn had no obligation towards Anglo, or more to the point, why would they need to, CFD's don't typically require either party to actually own shares, Anglo shouldn't really have cared about the transaction?

If a person had lost their shirt on a CFD position, it's just not rational for them to buy the actual shares that they had been speculating upon, especially if they now know the company is a basketcase, unless of course the obligation existed to purchase the shares as part of the CFD.

This kind of obligation to actually buy shares rather than pay the margin would be very unusual, the only rational explanation would be that the buyer was setting up the transaction such that on a specified future date, they would take a controlling interest in the company without the outsiders to the CFDs seeing the accumulation of that controlling interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

high_king wrote: »
    Some kids in Dublin . . that they let run feral until some of them carry out the most botched amateur murder. Hardly intelligent effective policing.

Obviously you didn’t follow the investigation or trial. Referring to a murder carried out by two 13 year olds as “amateur” is pathetic. What were you hoping for, DNA awareness and alibis?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

I was kind of shocked after the documentary of how deluded and half crazed SQ seemed to be about the company and the blame he has put on the directors in his former company for what he done to the company.

The secret video in public meetings of him saying his former directors stole the company off him and the way he invited all his supporters to the offices on the morning of him going back to the company as an advisor,handing out drinks in a party atmosphere as if he had taken back ownership.

He must have taken this advisor gesture as a sign of weakness and thought he was close to the line on his aims and maybe one last round of savage violence would have got him there from whoever was orchestrating it.

It was acts of madness aimed at the directors and maybe from his perspective they were young lads he started and stabbed him in the back but they didn't lose him the company,that was all down to him and if he thought some faceless American fund group was going to hand over a billion dollar business because of a local squabble thousands of miles away then he is even more crazed to be involved in it, to whatever degree he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

alias no.9 wrote: »
    How could they do that, Quinn had no obligation towards Anglo, or more to the point, why would they need to, CFD's don't typically require either party to actually own shares, Anglo shouldn't really have cared about the transaction?
    Anglo could not let Quinn fail because he controlled 25% of the banks stock and if that all hit the market at once, the share price would plummet. The margins were costing him millions per month. €500m in one month alone. This was all being funded by Anglo. They new they were on the road to disaster and THEY CONVINCED HIM to convert to shares to try and stabalise the share price eventually lending him €3.5b in total. This still wasn't enough to they approached the Maple Ten to sell a futher 10% in shares. All these shares were purchased under pressure from Anglo, who already knew they were on a sinking ship.

alias no.9 wrote: »
    This kind of obligation to actually buy shares rather than pay the margin would be very unusual
    Have a read of this... https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/quinns-shock-anglo-stake-led-to-maple-ten-saga-265754.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

RobbieMD wrote: »
    What about David Drumm, Willie McAteer, Denis Casey and John Bowe?
    I wasn't actually aware that Drumm had got a custodial sentence. This is great news. I must have been out of the country at the time.

Mind you, he is in Lougrea. Hardly 'hard time'. If the anglo bosses had commited these crimes in the US they would never have seen the light of day again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

SQ Snr or Jnr?

Senior.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Obviously you didn’t follow the investigation or trial. Referring to a murder carried out by two 13 year olds as “amateur” is pathetic. What were you hoping for, DNA awareness and alibis?
    Don't mind him. He hasnt a clue. One of these imaginary motorists beloved of Pat Kenny who claims to have been done for doing 31 in a 30 zone

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭threeball

AlanG wrote: »
    According to locals someone who wants to get control of the company and has a lot of connections wants to drive down the value so that his family can use money they have hidden in Eastern Europe to buy QIH.
    These connections were built up through years of paying cash to local "security consultants". These consultants are no longer getting their payoffs as that person can not get their hands on money so easily.

I think this ignores the likely genesis of the company and to me the most likely reason behind everything we've seen. Quinn isn't the sharpest tool in the box. I find it highly unlikely that he managed to build the businesses he did starting out with a sand lorry and a shovel. I would find it hard to believe that the businesses were used as a vehicle for laundering the ill gotten gains of our local terrorists. When the business was lost they lost their outlet to clean their dirty cash and they're hell bent on restoring the status quo. Quinn is just a grateful puppet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Quinn never sought to buy shares in Anglo.
    Wrong.

Quinn Insurance lost over €900 million in 2009. Largely because Quinn illegally borrowed money from the business to pay for his huge investment losses.

Sean Quinn and his son went to jail for contempt of court by hiding millions in assets from the Irish taxpayer.

This is not a good man done wrong story. This is the story of a greedy billionaire who gambled and lost and ordinary Irish people are picking up the tab.

But apart from all that, the rest of Scotty #'s post was OK, yeah? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

threeball wrote: »
    I think this ignores the likely genesis of the company and to me the most likely reason behind everything we've seen. Quinn isn't the sharpest tool in the box. I find it highly unlikely that he managed to build the businesses he did starting out with a sand lorry and a shovel. I would find it hard to believe that the businesses were used as a vehicle for laundering the ill gotten gains of our local terrorists. When the business was lost they lost their outlet to clean their dirty cash and they're hell bent on restoring the status quo. Quinn is just a grateful puppet.

Crazy interpretation. The business was worth over six billion. How much money do you think the IRA had control of. They were deeply in debt

threeball wrote: »
    Quinn isn't the sharpest tool in the box.

I'd suspect he's sharper than any of the posters on this forum by long margin.

Crazy interpretation. The business was worth over six billion. How much money do you think the IRA had control of. They were deeply in debt

The businesses made money but they wouldn't have gotten anywhere without the money coming from elsewhere. They're not trying to squeeze out the current administration out of a love loyalty to Quinn.

If he is he hides it well. Can't even conduct an interview without letting the malice show.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Nah, pal, I post here.

Nah, pal, I post here.

I'm not very sharp myself, so I take your word for it that you are sharper than Sean Quinn.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Some kids in Dublin . . that they let run feral until some of them carry out the most botched amateur murder. Hardly intelligent effective policing.

They weren't from Dublin. They were from Kildare.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement